Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Hillary Clinton...bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

Hillary Clinton...bad.

why didn't you say so earlier

gently caress

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

rudatron posted:

the vast majority of people are not anti-social enough to hold the kind of malicious racism that you're describing here, and i can't see this belief you have of vast swathes of white america being essentially literal nazis, extermination plans and all, as anything but a fever dream.

My dad's side of the family (minus my dad) are very stereotypical Southern conservatives, and their racism is more the sort of thing where they interpret certain things in a racist manner but don't really go out of their way to think about and express it. Like, if they see a black guy with sagging jeans they'll interpret it in a racist way, but if there's nothing specifically bothering/annoying them about a person it doesn't come up.

To be clear, this is still racist as gently caress. But I think the key difference is that folks like this don't really prioritize racism over other issues. They'll view issues involving other races through a racist lens, but it's not something they really think about otherwise. I think that people often get a distorted perception due to just seeing the internet comments and what have you of the sort of racists who feel the need to go out and express their racism.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"why didn't you warn us earlier" says group trying their damnedest to ignore all previous warnings

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Frijolero posted:

https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/758843101024624640

holy poo poo lol

I must've missed this last year

I don't see why this was needed when they clearly installed wifi antennas evenly throughout the stadium white noise machine to suppress the bernie delegations freeze peach

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lol at 2 victories being defined as a ton

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

yeah its still sad that they're trying to talk it up hey 2 wins is 2 wins

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

I mean the DSA was crowing about the miraculous comeback of a dude that won a special election to finish his late father's term.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Daily Kos is as hacky a partisan cheerleader outfit as the Dems have

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Grimoire posted:

I'm assuming that this is over all experience levels - Still, something smells fishy with that stat. Median household income is something like 55k, and 30% of the population over 25 have a BS//BA or higher

i looked it up, its closer to 60k

he might be going by household income where a college degree is present and not individual income

unless hes specifically referring to osoff neighborhoods, in which case, idk, maybe that number is accurate

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

anime was right posted:

i looked it up, its closer to 60k

he might be going by household income where a college degree is present and not individual income

unless hes specifically referring to osoff neighborhoods, in which case, idk, maybe that number is accurate

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/SeanMcElwee/status/885199613292105729

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It's sort of weird how progressives encourage each other to view racists as "they all think you're subhuman, they all have torture dungeons, and they'd all lynch you without a second thought". Is that the "culture of victimhood" thing

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
One thing I know is that leftist love to encourage the dehumanization of their ideological opponents. Surely it will work out next time.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

rudatron posted:

Yeah not only did he make that poo poo up, he plainly didn't know that the person they were having a funeral over was a black lady assassinated in her car.

Honestly, 'gently caress the police' is really childish to do in this situation: having more minority officers is kinda necessary if you want to actually reform the police force so that it treats minorities better, so celebrating one that gets killed is incredibly tone deaf.

need 👏 more 👏 minority 👏 pigs

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/885202250347552769

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/885202407302602754

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

call to action posted:

It's sort of weird how progressives encourage each other to view racists as "they all think you're subhuman, they all have torture dungeons, and they'd all lynch you without a second thought". Is that the "culture of victimhood" thing

It's basically the liberal version of "The Left wants to make your daughters marry black men and make your sons into women then marry black men."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've always felt that people frequently conflate household with individual income in an attempt to downplay income stagnation.

I'll be curious to see how median incomes track as people who entered the workforce post-great recession become a larger and larger percent of the total workforce.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
when those on the right consistently trot out lines like "well, if [the victim] had just [pulled up their pants]/[followed the cop's instructions]/[not have been hopped up on demon weed six months ago]/[not been a thug], they'd still be alive today" i think it's pretty accurate to describe the right as racists because they support and encourage the enforcement of criminality based on racial stereotypes.

and yes, i'm including some democrats in on the right as well.

"all lives matter," indeed, dread abuela.

Gene Hackman Fan has issued a correction as of 19:33 on Jul 12, 2017

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i still remain convinced she's gonna run in 2020, because the two most dangerous qualities for a politician in america to have are a lust for power and unbridled stupidity, and brother, we got trump to show that she got both.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Serf posted:

still lol @ having a college degree and making 25k a year :eng99:

:hfive: me too :negative:

Squizzle posted:

what does join them even mean

loony librel one of us

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I never got the obsession of household income. Personal income is a much better barometer in most aspects.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Squizzle posted:

i think that was the establishment dems' way of saying "if you support them, wtf you doing in here then?"

which is profoundly stupid for a lot of reasons, but when we ever been smart lately?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Squizzle posted:

join them :rip:

Serf
May 5, 2011

wtf is even a household. what if ur two roommates living together. is that a household

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

i think that was the establishment dems' way of saying "if you support them, wtf you doing in here then?"

which is profoundly stupid for a lot of reasons, but when we ever been smart lately?

the explanation that "join them" was not a literal chant but instructions to join in the existing chant made much more sense than actually saying "get the gently caress out" to "love is love"

even if responding to "ban fracking now" with "hillary" makes no sense either

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Agean90 posted:

it's probably one of those medians that's driven up by outliers who got a job in daddies company

...that would be a mean

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

is that standardized to three sources of income or just three household members

i dont know how anyone eats and pays rent in this country, jfc lol

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Serf posted:

wtf is even a household. what if ur two roommates living together. is that a household

anyone listed on a single file. joint file + 2 kids for deduction is considered 4 person household. you and your buddy chumming it up are not.

Serf
May 5, 2011

anime was right posted:

anyone listed on a single file. joint file + 2 kids for deduction is considered 4 person household. you and your buddy chumming it up are not.

well we're both holdin it down in this house so i dunno what's up

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Serf posted:

well we're both holdin it down in this house so i dunno what's up

you are considered two separate households if you're filing separately.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_income_in_the_United_States#By_educational_attainment

here's a better idea of income. 30k for employment median across the board, high 30s low 40s for small college degree, lots higher for bachelors.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Ytlaya posted:

I've always felt that people frequently conflate household with individual income in an attempt to downplay income stagnation.
Household income goes up! Economy is already great! (Not showing people pool money together to live in a cramped apartment.)

ThndrShk2k has issued a correction as of 20:05 on Jul 12, 2017

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Household income of 75k! Wow super rich!
Oh wait it's a family that had their kid move back in because he can't afford to live on his own due to student loans and only having a temp job since no good place is hiring?

Household income of 75k! Wow super rich!

ThndrShk2k has issued a correction as of 20:06 on Jul 12, 2017

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
50k is middle class!

Oh they have medical bills and insurance that keeps going up every year, with no raise in income, paying mortgage and other bills to care for their sick spouse?

MIDDLE CLASS IS ALREADY GREAT

ThndrShk2k has issued a correction as of 20:06 on Jul 12, 2017

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

loquacius posted:

the explanation that "join them" was not a literal chant but instructions to join in the existing chant made much more sense than actually saying "get the gently caress out" to "love is love"

Its because they don't want that message to be heard but they don't have a good counter-message. So they just want to drown it out.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Seven guys in a half of a duplex splitting rent is a good look when distilled into only numbers

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

ThndrShk2k posted:

50k is middle class!

Oh they have medical bills and insurance that keeps going up every year, with no raise in income, paying mortgage and other bills to care for their sick spouse?

MIDDLE CLASS IS ALREADY GREAT

Goes a long way in Maine

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

loquacius posted:

if there was the use of quotation marks, i'd understand, but like we've witnessed again and again, nothing suggested by democratic leadership has been much of a good look in the grand scheme of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"i mean, have you seen the other guys?"

• Locked thread