Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Not sure if I like or don't like this headline

https://twitter.com/ibtimes/status/884898880810254338

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
/\ that's just dumbassery of legislation. But stupid poo poo like this is going to pop up if places decide to fund schools on pot taxes. Just dump it into the general fund and wait a few years to see where consumption rates will provide consistent and predictable returns, then get specific with the weed funbux.

You know those dumbasses that get rings from whatever the local Jostens knockoff is for graduating bootcamp?

Yeah. No goddamn idea where it is now.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 12, 2017

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

TBeats posted:

I think the closest a ring has ever been to my finger is when it was a nuvaring.

:golfclap:

Meanwhile, Donny continues to nurse his addiction to responding to anything that airs while he's watching cable news.

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/885133603105116160

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

:stare: Goddrat. That owned.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

suboptimal posted:

Meanwhile, Donny continues to nurse his addiction to responding to anything that airs while he's watching cable news.

I laughed hard when I read that Trump Tweet. Possible the biggest and most obvious lie he's told on Twitter yet, considering he literally live tweets cable news shows.

I don't think he even realizes how much of an addict he is. http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/341413-trump-theyre-not-going-to-take-away-my-social-media

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

facialimpediment posted:

I laughed hard when I read that Trump Tweet. Possible the biggest and most obvious lie he's told on Twitter yet, considering he literally live tweets cable news shows.

I don't think he even realizes how much of an addict he is. http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/341413-trump-theyre-not-going-to-take-away-my-social-media

Its hard to realize anything when you are sure you are the smartest man in the room. Which is darkly ironic considering all reports from people who have worked with Trump that he largely just repeats whatever he's heard.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jul 12, 2017

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

TBeats posted:

I think the closest a ring has ever been to my finger is when it was a nuvaring.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

The Christmas before my mom deployed to Bagram my aunt was like "Can we pray for you?". So she's like "Sure, I guess", thinking they mean later. Suddenly they're all laying hands in her and I got creeped out and ducked outside.

Same thing happened with my mom when she was in the hospital last year. That poo poo is creepy.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
There is a societal correlation between intelligence and self worth/esteem. Generally people with high IQs are substantially more critical of their own flaws, and can over analyze themselves to the point of extreme self doubt. (or with a chemical imbalance depression) It's something that is seen heavily in the hard sciences and engineering, which also adds into low social intelligence and emotional quotients i.e. The introvert nerd stereotype.

The lower echelons of intelligence (2 standard deviations below of the mean, so IQs between 70-85) also are intelligent enough to understand that they aren't as smart as their peers, and it can turn into maladjustment in society if social intelligence is also low. If a person is 3 standard deviations below (sub 70) they generally have a mental handy cap of some sort, thus requiring different schooling and care.

Generally though people within the one standard deviation of the mean (85-115) tend overstate their intelligence the most, as school is tailored to this entire gambit of people (essentially 2/3rd of the population), generally have a stereotypical social life, and are best fit for the world. Add in a touch of narcissism and you get someone like Donny.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

There is a societal correlation between intelligence and self worth/esteem. Generally people with high IQs are substantially more critical of their own flaws, and can over analyze themselves to the point of extreme self doubt. (or with a chemical imbalance depression) It's something that is seen heavily in the hard sciences and engineering, which also adds into low social intelligence and emotional quotients i.e. The introvert nerd stereotype.

The lower echelons of intelligence (2 standard deviations below of the mean, so IQs between 70-85) also are intelligent enough to understand that they aren't as smart as their peers, and it can turn into maladjustment in society if social intelligence is also low. If a person is 3 standard deviations below (sub 70) they generally have a mental handy cap of some sort, thus requiring different schooling and care.

Generally though people within the one standard deviation of the mean (85-115) tend overstate their intelligence the most, as school is tailored to this entire gambit of people (essentially 2/3rd of the population), generally have a stereotypical social life, and are best fit for the world. Add in a touch of narcissism and you get someone like Donny.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

suboptimal posted:

:golfclap:

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/885133603105116160

:lol:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Opinions on Wray? Feinstein announced she's voting for his confirmation

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Interesting. Do you have the study that's from? I'm curious because the two studies I've see showed that the bottom doesn't tend to overstate at that level. Also I want to know which test they used, in case that has anything to do with the results.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Interesting. Do you have the study that's from? I'm curious because the two studies I've see showed that the bottom doesn't tend to overstate at that level. Also I want to know which test they used, in case that has anything to do with the results.
Unskilled and Unaware of It: How Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments, 10.1037/0022-3514.77.6.1121, aka the origin of the term Dunning-Kruger effect.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Amy Klobuchar is supporting him as well, and she's my bae so I'm unopposed.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The "Diaper Don is not a member of the administration" excuse seems to be evaporating rapidly. The administration wrote his statement to the NYT, and there are reports that people in the White House are prepping to discredit the journalists involved.

If Donnie keeps shooting his mouth off does that constitute undue influence?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

you can't discredit the story when he loving tweeted out the out emails. Did he forget his family was going for the FAKE NEWS angle?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Reverand maynard posted:

you can't discredit the story when he loving tweeted out the out emails. Did he forget his family was going for the FAKE NEWS angle?

They'll still call it fake news.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i'm surprised they didn't somehow try to say hackers got on his account even though that would make even less sense

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Gobbeldygook posted:

Unskilled and Unaware of It: How Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments, 10.1037/0022-3514.77.6.1121, aka the origin of the term Dunning-Kruger effect.

The irony of my effort post. Thanks.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'm getting the impression that this Fake News tactic is losing steam as Trump cannot discredit every story. Journalists are doing too well at backing up these big stories.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

The hot take from AM radio today was, "Well if Trump JR did it that means his father is clean! He was only doing what a good son, a good advocate, would do. Further if the Russians had damning evidence about Hillary and wanted to give it to Trump JR. That only proves that the Russians weren't trying to help Trump, just trying to hurt Hillary!*ignores how yesterday he went on a rant on how the Russians would absolutely have loved Hillary in charge*"

There should be a law banning news radio in the work place.

Edit: I don't really see how anyone can make the logic of "hur dur they're not helping trump, they're trying to hurt hillary!" Instead of seeing one implies did the other.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 12, 2017

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
NO PUPPET, NO PUPPET!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

cowboy elvis posted:

I'm getting the impression that this Fake News tactic is losing steam as Trump cannot discredit every story. Journalists are doing too well at backing up these big stories.

its red meat for the 32% of voters who will never waver

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

cowboy elvis posted:

You know what should be losing steam? Election rallies. You know where he will say it is fake news? At an election rally.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Second tier, but not a bad choice. He said all the right words in his confirmation hearing.
Franken has signaled his support as well.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Saw this pop up on Terminal Lance's twitter feed,
https://twitter.com/amvetsupport/status/884896034073083904

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
But we did pay for them. We paid the iron price.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

thats gunna go over real well

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Vasudus posted:

But we did pay for them. We paid the iron price.

yeah uh I paid for them by shooting at dudes and having bad knees before turning 30

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

So Fox news just confirmed that Russian meddling in the election was 100% fact and not a witch hunt. It didn't sound sarcastic?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Reverand maynard posted:

yeah uh I paid for them by shooting at dudes and having bad knees before turning 30

I can't take Monty on morning walks and evening walks (2 miles each, four miles total) without my right leg being in throbbing pain the entire following day because the military needed the cartilage out of my knee to get destroyed by running on concrete and ruck marching on concrete. I can only do either the morning or the evening, but I'm afraid even that is going to be a problem in the future.

And I'm only 29 :(

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
Military Times on the bill back in April.

quote:

The plan — draft legislation from House Veterans Affairs Committee Chairman Phil Roe, R-Tenn. — would deduct $2,400 from future service members’ paychecks to establish eligibility for revamped post-military education benefits. This was first reported Tuesday by Task & Purpose.

Currently, the post-9/11 GI Bill offers full tuition to a four-year state college (or the equivalent tuition payout for a private school) plus a monthly housing stipend to any service member who spends at least three years on active duty, and to reservists who are mobilized to active-duty for extended periods. Troops wounded while serving are also eligible.

Unlike the older Montgomery GI Bill benefit, the post-9/11 GI Bill does not require any fees or pay reductions for eligibility.The new proposal would change that, taking up to $100 a month from new enlistees’ paychecks for the right to access the benefit after they leave the ranks.

The money collected would amount to a fraction of the overall cost of the veterans education benefit. Congressional staff estimate the move would bring in about $3.1 billion over the next 10 years, while total GI Bill spending is expected to total more than $100 billion over the same decade.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I would forfeit my $1200 reimbursement without much issue for the post 9/11 GI bill. I wouldn't have a problem doubling that either.

Honestly it's been so worth it that I would've taken a $100 pay cut every month of the five years that I was in if I had to.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I just got approved for my Law school voc rehab and honestly don't see this as being a real issue. All the retarded military hero worship in this country might have something to say about it.

Wouldn't paying in also make these kinds of benefits harder to stop with a general discharge or is that something Shim made up? I don't associate with unhonorable vets

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
But why cut at all? Rather, I guess he is talking about putting the burden on individual military members? I signed up for the post 9/11 and was press ganged into paying the Montgomery bill anyways.

This is the one thing that I didn't have to get broken to get and this motherfucker wants to cut it so he can fund more tax cuts for someone who promises me a position on their cyberpunk LONESTAR security package assuming I got all 4 extremities left after the forever war. gently caress being reasonable. No more cuts, I served durring sequestration and lemmie tell you, there's nothing left to cut.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

TBeats posted:

I can't take Monty on morning walks and evening walks (2 miles each, four miles total) without my right leg being in throbbing pain the entire following day because the military needed the cartilage out of my knee to get destroyed by running on concrete and ruck marching on concrete. I can only do either the morning or the evening, but I'm afraid even that is going to be a problem in the future.

And I'm only 29 :(

I've been fighting with Navy Medical to get the arthroscopy I need for my hip since last October, and I'm still another month or two away from a possible surgery. Not looking forward to when it's time to get my other hip scoped out as well.

I turn 29 next month

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Gotta convince the MAGA crowd to pay for their benefits so they can give additional tax breaks to the rich.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
A chunk of ice the size of Delaware calved off of the Larson C ice shelf in Antarctica this morning.

Edit: I knew a guy who broke one of his femurs where it connects to the ball joint in airborne school, and then broke the other femur in the same place during a ruck march. Dude was 24 at the time, is never going to be able to run again, and will probably need both hips replaced by the time he's 35.

A Bad Poster fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Turns out a forever war gets pretty expensive as you keep throwing more meat into the grinder.

• Locked thread