Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

I hate it when the gluten free stuff is lumped in with other garbage because I don't want to be associated with that. Just put the non-dairy yogurt in the diary section, put the gluten free bread in the bread area. I hate the little sort of pseudoscience ghetto places make which makes me feel ashamed to buy the product for legitimate reasons. I don't give a poo poo if it's organic or how many GMO's are inside of it I care if it will make my guts explode.

I think though that there's so many "alternative" products and things for special dietary needs that they don't need to be put in a little ghetto anymore, most places I shop don't. But still there's the confusion, will I find the almond milk in with the milk, or in some weird special section? I thought one supermarket simply didn't carry corn pasta, but that's because they didn't put it in the pasta section they put it in their little gluten free zone.

My wife is celiac so we've been through the same for 7 years. We much prefer the items to be mixed with the normal food. I'm already walking through the aisles, don't make me have to backtrack once we've noticed your lovely gluten free section doesn't actually have any staples and is instead piles of lovely cookies.

It's not hard to find out which foods are safe to eat if you actually eat this poo poo every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I like the gluten free section. It's how I learned about gluten free generic Fig Newtons.

k stone
Aug 30, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

they may only be 10% of customers but organic stuff has a mark-up to it so it could very well be worth appealing to them more

It would almost certainly be illegal for me to actually share specific notes on this, so I hope vaguely summarizing this without a linkable source doesn't send anyone into apoplectic fits, but in my previous job as a management consultant I once had a project where I had to interview a bunch of the heads of produce supply chains for mid-to-large grocery chains. They pretty much universally said that organic produce had been a bit of a disappointing fad; it costs stores a lot more to procure and not enough consumers buy into it for it to have driven much of an increase in profits. Apparently many more people are willing to pay the small premium for local produce, which also doesn't necessarily cost that much extra to procure, so they were all way more positive about stocking local produce as a profit driver.

k stone fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 12, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That's actually good to know. I'm happy to support local farmers but will actually go out of my way to avoid "organic" anything.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I kind of want a pack of stickers that say "IUPAC CERTIFIED ORGANIC" so I could slap them on food, plastics, petrol stations etc.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The thing I avoid which I'm 100% certain is successful and thus makes me sad because I want it to go away is anything that says GMO-free. I want the best that science can create, not some bug riddled tiny grain vitaminless rice.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Barudak posted:

The thing I avoid which I'm 100% certain is successful and thus makes me sad because I want it to go away is anything that says GMO-free. I want the best that science can create, not some bug riddled tiny grain vitaminless rice.

You mean you want evil scientists to tinker with your food? Me I like my food free from human meddling in its natural state. So what if that excludes literally every crop ever domesticated by human hands? Have you considered that death through starvation is a natural part of human existence? Checkmate. :smug:

Come on the EU you are better than this

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Crabtree posted:

Yeah, people with gluten problems or other specialty organic leaning customers like it when there is a big obvious area for them to flock to and browse without having to look if this is the one non GMO or whatever item of the isle. Pain in the rear end for employees to restock as you're never sure if this is regular area or organic section or that weird nut area next to the botlhouse drinks that circles into produce, though. Especially if the store likes shuffling the items every now and again.

Thing is, that's how it was before, now they're doing the opposite and mingling them alongside the other items. Which seems to me a dumb idea. It also seems to have been pushed at the actual store level and just ok'd by corporate which is even funnier.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

incoherent posted:

Question: why isn't there a massive correction in the food sector yet?

I'd assume it's not significant enough to be noticeable over the usual noise of restaurant failure rates.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Liquid Communism posted:

I'd assume it's not significant enough to be noticeable over the usual noise of restaurant failure rates.

The trick to surviving economic collapses: have your market already be so unstable that they have no noticeable effect.

Boxcar
Jul 29, 2000

Liquid Communism posted:

It's completely noticeable and all these numbers are pretty easily available. Fall of 2016, total number of restaurants fell by 2 percent and the ratio of eateries to people is the lowest since the recession. Independent restaurants are falling; fast casual is still rapidly growing. Lunchtime traffic is at a forty year low because more people are eating at their desks. With lower demand, closures are expected to tick up. Look up NPD Group for more info--the various sectors of the food industry are obviously well-tracked and you can also follow various stock indexes of any mix of restaurants and food retail to get a picture of the industry's health.

Boxcar fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jul 12, 2017

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Whether or not you have a positive or negative opinion of GMOs, it seems fair to be allowed to mark your product as one or the other.

Also try some wild rice, it's good.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 40 minutes!

Mozi posted:

Whether or not you have a positive or negative opinion of GMOs, it seems fair to be allowed to mark your product as one or the other.

Also try some wild rice, it's good.

The "wild rice" you find in a grocery store is overwhelmingly likely to be the University of Minnesota hybrid and is cultivated in paddys.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Well, OK? But that doesn't imply that all non-GMO rice is terrible. My local co-op has a great selection of strange rices that I enjoy. But this is irrelevant to my original point.

I mean, when I grow veggies for myself I use organic methods because worm poop is all you need, really. So it's easier and more interesting. But I'm growing tomatoes right now that are a cross of GMO and heirlooms because there are benefits of each. I'm not trying to make this a moral argument.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder how much GMO hate is actually coming from Borlaug-suckers versus simple hippy punching

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

His point, I believe, is that nearly everything we consume is a human-developed food that only avoids the GMO label because it was developed via slower methods of hybridization long enough ago to be 'traditional' and thus grandfathered in the minds of the public.

Remember, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, brussels sprouts and kale are all the same species (Brassica oleracea), just domesticated into cultivars depending on what traits the farmers were looking for.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Well that is absolutely true, but to be specific, my original point was just that, as somebody who doesn't have a big problem with GMO crops, I don't think it should be illegal to mark your products as non-GMO if that happens to be true (even considering the genetic modification humans have presided over over time to any food crop.) (There was an effort to make it illegal, I'm not sure how it stands right now.) I know there are reasons why people would do that that play to people's fears, but as far as making people not hate GMOs it doesn't seem like the right thing to do, for me anyways.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Baronjutter posted:

That's actually good to know. I'm happy to support local farmers but will actually go out of my way to avoid "organic" anything.

Yeah, in my experience produce quality depends more on shipping distance and production scale, so buying from smaller, local farms will often get you a superior product, regardless of whether or not it's certified organic (many small farms are organic, but cannot afford actual certification, because it's just another lovely, big industry that exists to entrench established interests). It's probably still not the most efficient form of agriculture, but the quality difference is enough to convince me. Tomatoes and garlic are where I notice the biggest improvement with local farm produce compared to other stuff.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

A lot of that is that things are picked very early and instead a ripening normally they are ripened with gases or during shipping. Some things are even shipped in inerted environments and that can remove taste too.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah eating produce that was actually ripe before it was picked is a revelation. I think a lot more people would like vegetables if the stuff in stores weren't flavorless garbage. I also hate the trend to breed for size and color above all else. I don't want a giant mutant apple the size of a softball. I want one that actually contains flavors.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The moment a tomato is refrigerated in any way it's pretty much ruined, which can happen for tomatoes going long distances. Get a more local tomato, never ever put it in the fridge, enjoy a good taste.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2017/07/12/list-gymboree-names-350-closing-stores/103625342/

Gymboree has finalized and listed the 350 stores it will close.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

The moment a tomato is refrigerated in any way it's pretty much ruined, which can happen for tomatoes going long distances. Get a more local tomato, never ever put it in the fridge, enjoy a good taste.

I've been refrigerating tomatoes all my life and I think they taste awesome. :confused:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

axeil posted:

I've been refrigerating tomatoes all my life and I think they taste awesome. :confused:

Get some fresh ones and don't refrigerate them and notice the difference. A lot of produce takes a huge flavour hit if ever refrigerated but the good news is that most don't have to be. People put way too much poo poo in their fridge. Some people even put bananas in their fridge.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Baronjutter posted:

Get some fresh ones and don't refrigerate them and notice the difference.

What, none? I grew up in prime tomato country, we'd literally walk to buy them straight off the farmer's own stall where he'd just drive them over from his farm like 10 minutes away. We'd usually put a few in the fridge and there was no issue with the taste.

Of course we had so many tomatoes then that nowadays I'm kind of sick of tomatoes.

k stone posted:

It would almost certainly be illegal for me to actually share specific notes on this, so I hope vaguely summarizing this without a linkable source doesn't send anyone into apoplectic fits, but in my previous job as a management consultant I once had a project where I had to interview a bunch of the heads of produce supply chains for mid-to-large grocery chains. They pretty much universally said that organic produce had been a bit of a disappointing fad; it costs stores a lot more to procure and not enough consumers buy into it for it to have driven much of an increase in profits. Apparently many more people are willing to pay the small premium for local produce, which also doesn't necessarily cost that much extra to procure, so they were all way more positive about stocking local produce as a profit driver.

The funny thing about advertising local produce, is that for many supermarkets they already buy plenty of their produce local, in season that is. They just didn't market it that way until recently. Of course, whether you actually have a lot of local produce to buy from in the first place, as the supermarket owner, depends heavily on the sort of area your store is located in.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It depends on how you use them, refrigeration affects texture more than taste

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah people don't think about it but refrigerators are actually quite humid and that can cause issues.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

It used to be there were spoilage tables. USDA would publish books that would tell you how much at a given condition for various times would be spoiled. The modern methods greatly increased the range produce could be shipped with negligible spoilage. I have some old ones in the garage I can make images of if anyone is interested. We use them very irregularly when reefers die and someone wants a damage survey. I don't know if they still put them out.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
What other foods do people like?

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

SpaceCadetBob posted:

My wife is celiac so we've been through the same for 7 years. We much prefer the items to be mixed with the normal food. I'm already walking through the aisles, don't make me have to backtrack once we've noticed your lovely gluten free section doesn't actually have any staples and is instead piles of lovely cookies.

It's not hard to find out which foods are safe to eat if you actually eat this poo poo every day.

Usually when there is a "special" section for something it's crap the vendor wants to push (the lovely cookies and such) instead of staples like gluten-free bread or pasta or whatever.

I used to work in retail and this was the case.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Yeah people don't think about it but refrigerators are actually quite humid and that can cause issues.

Yes and no. You open the door and yeah, a lot of moisture gets in and condenses and you get high humidity for a time, but the refrigerator is constantly removing that, and one that has been closed for several days will be quite parched on the inside. That's why you have crisper drawers separated from the rest of the fridge, to help keep some moisture in.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It's also dependent on absolute humidity vs. relative humidity. I'm not sure how that affect various foods, but the RH in a fridge can be quite high while the absolute humidity is low because cold air can't hold as much moisture.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The best thing you can do for a lot of your meat is to salt and let it hang out on the bottom shelf for about a day.

:lifehack:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

The best thing you can do for a lot of your meat is to salt and let it hang out on the bottom shelf for about a day.

:lifehack:

Yeah I love meat that's had all the moisture drawn out of it, that's the best!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Anyone know why there are so many storage facilities these days? People accumulating more than their house can hold, but dont want to part?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

That and probably a bit of suburban lots getting smaller and smaller so people can't build their own storage buildings on their property and such.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

got any sevens posted:

Anyone know why there are so many storage facilities these days? People accumulating more than their house can hold, but dont want to part?

In my area it's because no one can afford housing and have to downsize often at short notice so put a bunch of poo poo into storage. It's either that or weird old people who can't let go of anything and get a storage unit because it's easier than getting rid of it.

Like someone will be evicted with like a month's notice because *one weird trick to get around all tenancy laws* and have to scramble ot move out and find a new place but everything is $400 a month more expensive than when they moved in and there's under 1% vacancy so they end up having to move in as a roommate with someone at 35 years old and put all their stuff in storage while they save up and search for a new place of their own but the storage fees make saving hard but they don't have time to sell or their old stuff, not that they'd get much money for it, but replacing it all when they do move back out would cost way too much. Sometimes this can take years, so the storage place does good business.

Sometimes people try to live in storage units because they can't even afford a slum level bachelor unit working full time.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 12, 2017

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

got any sevens posted:

Conversely, a lot of storage units are going tits up here in the bay area because land is so expensive that they can sell and develop it. I would say theres much less every year and we've had to move our companies storage unit as one yard closed up. One of ours in Pier 70 is slated to close within the next decade for development as well. But yes, in general its as Bacon mentioned is that housing is conversely very expensive and people downsize and may have to move between places. This is probably more common on spread-out cities like Fresno or something where theres lot of land and abandoned yards that are easily converted to storage and as people get foreclosed and need to move into apartments and such.

AFAIK actually living in a storage unit is p much impossible at most that I've been to and used, tho I'm sure some people try at points before being caught. It's far more common to see RV living with barely functioning RVs on common state-county roads with no parking limitations and things like that.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 12, 2017

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

They also attract investors because of thier margins and low bullshit business model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Another reason is zoning and taxes.
Storage units generally fit into industrial zoning, places you can't develop into more condos without a rezoning and many cities have put their industrial areas on lock down to avoid this. The problem is that storage facilities employ minimal staff and are quite profitable compared to pretty much any other business that can fit into industrial land. So you get a block with a busy shipping centre and autoparts store and mechanic shop and a bottle depot the employ like 50 people replaced torn down to build a huge self storage centre that employs 5.