Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

How do I stop my camera from auto-following?
press X

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

how do I put all my bags in one window?
Click the setting icon on one of the bag and drag and drop the rows into one bag

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

And why does it look like there has been no graphics update since I quit in 2017?
say what now ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I edited it. Was going to make a joke about graphics being same as release but I got autocorrected to this year. I quit like a year after release.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I edited it. Was going to make a joke about graphics being same as release but I got autocorrected to this year. I quit like a year after release.

I am also just recently coming back after quitting when mirkwood was the endgame.

There's been a few small graphical changes but the majority of technical improvements like god rays and better lighting have not been backported to earlier zones.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

They've put in a few graphical upgrades over the years and added DirectX 11 support. I recall someone from Turbine saying 3-4 years ago that they tried to include at least a little visual upgrade with each expansion, but they were quite limited by the game's engine and small dev team. WoW on the other hand looks very nice despite being 3 years older than LOTRO. I still think this is a pretty game even with dated graphics. When you have the draw distance at max, that's when it really shines.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ruffz posted:

They've put in a few graphical upgrades over the years and added DirectX 11 support. I recall someone from Turbine saying 3-4 years ago that they tried to include at least a little visual upgrade with each expansion, but they were quite limited by the game's engine and small dev team. WoW on the other hand looks very nice despite being 3 years older than LOTRO. I still think this is a pretty game even with dated graphics. When you have the draw distance at max, that's when it really shines.

I played the epic quest through the Great River and some of Rohan over the weekend and was really impressed with the landscapes. Whomever was doing the landscape design at the time of that content really nailed the feeling that these are real places that could exist in the real world. I don't know if that trend continues as the game progresses.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

It does. Gondor is particularly great. And you're right, Rohan is something, BUT it's also just a lot of grassland and that bore me so much.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Don't miss out on those class trait points in west Rohan and central Gondor after coming back from a hiatus like I did.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

kzin602 posted:

I played the epic quest through the Great River and some of Rohan over the weekend and was really impressed with the landscapes. Whomever was doing the landscape design at the time of that content really nailed the feeling that these are real places that could exist in the real world. I don't know if that trend continues as the game progresses.

Gondor might look like a place that used to exist in the real world, but if Mordor ends up looking like a place that could exist in the real world either they've failed their promise to Tolkien's spirit and the books or you really need to move to a better city

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I've been up a few volcanoes they're pretty cool.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

kzin602 posted:

Rohan is definitely pretty, but I can almost guarantee you'll be sick of it after 20 levels. Back when the content was current, I did that 40+ day Hytbold grind and I still have a hard time leveling a character through Rohan. Gondor is a refreshing change after you head through Paths of the Dead.

ruffz fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 12, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I reinstalled the game and after a first log-in and look around now it just crashes on launch every time.

Probably for the best.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

sassassin posted:

I reinstalled the game and after a first log-in and look around now it just crashes on launch every time.

Probably for the best.

Check the dev posts on the forums, are you on xp vista or some other non chromium supporting os?

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)

sassassin posted:

Probably for the best.

Like, when you log in? The servers are down atm.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
So, considering the prices of the expansions, I'll probably just buy the basic expansion and then add High Elves later on when they pop up in the store for Lotro Funbux.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Tamayachi posted:

So, considering the prices of the expansions, I'll probably just buy the basic expansion and then add High Elves later on when they pop up in the store for Lotro Funbux.

For those wondering:

Mordor expansion is scheduled for release on July 31, 2017

https://lotro.com/en/u21-FAQ

http://store.turbine.com/store/turbine/en_US/custom/pbpage.lotro-mordor

Basically the expansion price is fine ($39.99) and later this winter you can instead pay 2495 points for Mordor and 1000 points for high elves separately which don't matter if you don't want to level up again anyway.

The criticism (justified imo) is that the collectors and ultimate editions jump to $80 and then $130 and I imagine they hosed up here because you could easily double those sales if you made it them $60 and $90, you've got to seriously be addicted to shiny horses and cloaks to pay 130 dollars for an expansion pack where the raid and the group content isn't ready at launch anyway, making the EXP booster a waste of time for anyone except 6 guys trying to get 'world first'.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Well at least there's something for me to spend my lifetime sub funbux on.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

extra stout posted:

For those wondering:

Basically the expansion price is fine ($39.99) and later this winter you can instead pay 2495 points for Mordor and 1000 points for high elves separately which don't matter if you don't want to level up again anyway.

The criticism (justified imo) is that the collectors and ultimate editions jump to $80 and then $130 and I imagine they hosed up here because you could easily double those sales if you made it them $60 and $90, you've got to seriously be addicted to shiny horses and cloaks to pay 130 dollars for an expansion pack where the raid and the group content isn't ready at launch anyway, making the EXP booster a waste of time for anyone except 6 guys trying to get 'world first'.

I know this game has a lot of whales, but jfc, $130?

I'd love to have the "Walked Into Mordor" title, but I'm not paying $40 extra for that.

It's kind of a letdown that they're just going to call it "Mordor". Something like "Fires of Mordor", etc would have been much better, IMO.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I have like 500 titles. Who even cares? I mean, I'm the least whale of the whale types, and micro-transactions never really "get" me to buy. Guess I'm not that market.

I won't re-roll or race change ever anyways, but the new race not being part of the base expac is lovely. Whatever though. I'll pay the $40, play through the solo content in probably a week or two, and be done heh. Might grind for scrolls a little if I need to. Not sure if I'll grind for essence armor or not - will have to see how lovely it is this time (spoiler: it's almost always lovely).

I bought the last content pack and got done with it in like a weekend.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Lars posted:

Like, when you log in? The servers are down atm.

Servers being down don't usually cause crashes to desktop during splash screens.

Tewdrig
Dec 6, 2005

It's good to be the king.

extra stout posted:

For those wondering:

I've gotta get everything, which is why I can never actually advance in LOTRO due to endless questing and deeds, but yeah, I'll probably just use my LOTROBUX from my lifetime sub in December. At like a $40/$50/$60 spread, I probably could have justified to myself paying a $60 "full price" for an expansion I'll never actually level to play. But I can't see myself paying $80 for "not everything" or $130 for "everything" when I can use like 300k in coins I'll never spend anyway. But I only play a few weeks every year or two, so I guess I'm not the target market for this. Still, would have been happy to throw money at it for a lower price.

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

May I please join the goon kin? Character is Quantiel - ministrel. Still quite low level, just hit the Lone Lands.

I've added all the officers on the front page as friends, but I'm Oceanic so you're probably all asleep as no one is online now. Will be on in the next few hours and will try again Friday night US time. Thanks!

Edit: have been added, thanks!

Meander fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jul 14, 2017

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The mounted combat was a good idea but the execution is not so great. It's actually making me want to rush just the epic story to get past it. Just arrived at the eaves of fangorn in the epic story... when does the mounted stuff end :(

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Tewdrig posted:

I've gotta get everything, which is why I can never actually advance in LOTRO due to endless questing and deeds, but yeah, I'll probably just use my LOTROBUX from my lifetime sub in December. At like a $40/$50/$60 spread, I probably could have justified to myself paying a $60 "full price" for an expansion I'll never actually level to play. But I can't see myself paying $80 for "not everything" or $130 for "everything" when I can use like 300k in coins I'll never spend anyway. But I only play a few weeks every year or two, so I guess I'm not the target market for this. Still, would have been happy to throw money at it for a lower price.

My amount of play time has taken a significant hit since I started a daytime job last month. Used to be I could just come home from my graveyard shift and play all day if I wanted to since my wife was at work. This leaves me less willing to spend cash on the expansion, not to mention I don't want to support their choice to gate the new race behind an $80 edition. I think that's total bullshit, despite the fact that I may never even create a high elf.

kzin602 posted:

The mounted combat was a good idea but the execution is not so great. It's actually making me want to rush just the epic story to get past it. Just arrived at the eaves of fangorn in the epic story... when does the mounted stuff end :(

Thankfully it's almost all optional after Rohan, however there are still going to be areas with mounted enemies. Some of the level 100-105 content I did recently had signature mounted mobs to kill for a quest. Mounted combat was implemented terribly. The fact that running around in circles is the easiest way to kill stuff is kind of a joke. Turbine/SSG still hasn't fixed the rubberbanding you sometimes get when you jump over an object.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

To be fair, as a hunter I'm pretty sure running around in circles and shooting things was how ancient horse archers used to do these things. How's real life mounted combat supposed to work?

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

100YrsofAttitude posted:

To be fair, as a hunter I'm pretty sure running around in circles and shooting things was how ancient horse archers used to do these things. How's real life mounted combat supposed to work?

Ancient horse archers didn't have a bunch of warg riders and orcs throwing poison bombs they would aggro into a huge pack.

The mounted combat is a neat idea, it just does not work well in this type of game.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

sassassin posted:

All Isildur did was cut the ring from Sauron's finger after he'd already been defeated by Gil-Galad and Elendil.

The armies of elves and men kept Sauron trapped under siege for years before that. Even the small region known as Middle Earth wasn't at his mercy.

sauron rocks your world and u know it

btw the high elves look like poo poo so far

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...
Game is going to be down tomorrow (Wednesday) from 5AM to 5PM EDT for an extended maintenance. Guess they're doing something to prepare for the expansion?

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

That's annoying - primetime for us Oceanic players!

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Well, it came back up nearly 2 hours ahead of schedule.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Tewdrig posted:

They're still on track for July 31st Mordor xpac release (Just PMed a mod about updating the thread title and did a super quick update to the OP) but at the same time, if anyone wants to wait and hear which classes stack best with the high elf traits and this new light system, they've said these 'pre order bundles' will remain unchanged for weeks to months it seems, so unless you're a diehard to exploit bugs or be the first 115, waiting a week or two to hear feedback and decide on what to buy or if you want to wait til Christmas, sure it's a great idea. Also a good way to avoid any initial bugs at launch.

Since a huge amount of people will be boosting 105 high elves and this is a lot of content, I'm sure you won't fully miss out on the group content if you wait til Christmas to buy with points. At the same time I love this game and might just put down $40 now for the quests and allegiance system alone.

Come Christmas I can pay the 1000 points in game for the race. I'm guessing even with less people wanting to pay 80/130 dollars, every single expansion pack character booster who gets high elves will use or save their boost for a high elf. Considering their buffs to the light/shadow system in their traits, I could picture seeing a high amount of high elves in Mordor by Christmas.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jul 20, 2017

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
It's been 9 months since I played, and my Captain is 78 and working on Isengard.

How long would it take to blitz to 105 for Mordor and what would I miss out on?

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

What high-elf trait(s) play into the shadow system? Unless I'm missing something I don't see any that would affect it?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
What's the Shadow system? I haven't followed Mordor's development.

Is there a link or a summary I can read? Or is this just the old dread/hope system?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Prism posted:

What's the Shadow system? I haven't followed Mordor's development.

Is there a link or a summary I can read? Or is this just the old dread/hope system?

http://dadislotroguides.com/u21-mordor-lightshadow-system-radiance-2-0/

We don't know much yet, but yes it seems like the devs wanted to redeem themselves from the radiance system. Only change so far is that while light can fully remove shadow, you can't buff beyond that into the plus. Will post more answers as I find them on the forums again.

If anyone has a recent screenshot of their racial traits please share it, couldn't find one. Early claims were made that they'd have some kind of light aura or light of Earendil racial trait, if this is no longer true then they'd mostly just be played because they're new and pretty.

The most financially reasonable option seems like buying the base edition, the new 105 boost goes to your first character you log into and is bound to account, so throw it in shared storage and if you still want to make a high elf this winter then unlock them for 1000 points and autoboost it to 105. Getting two characters from 105 to 115 is going to take me a while given I'm about to be busy again, just can't justify spending more than $40 on kites and ponies.

If you can deal with annoying squeeky voices people do to try and seem charming or cute when streaming games, this seems to be the most recent tour of the high elf on the bullroarer test server.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9UnWizSdSQ

More mor dor

Some backgrounds for your computer or phone eight more days folks

http://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/update-21-key-art-wallpapers

extra stout fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jul 23, 2017

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
I'll buy the standard expansion I think

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes
I probably won't play again until Helm's Deep is on sale. $40 is just a bit too much for a 4 year old expansion IMO. Mordor looks cool though and I'm excited to see what they come up with afterwards (if anything).

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
EverQuest TLP server just had a new expac release last week, so balls deep in that right now. Definitely looking forward to Mordor, but it'll be delayed.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
My question is, how the hell do I buy it?

The store here doesn't display correctly. I can add it to the cart even if it displays funny but I can't check out, and the in-game store doesn't offer Mordor.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005

Prism posted:

My question is, how the hell do I buy it?

The store here doesn't display correctly. I can add it to the cart even if it displays funny but I can't check out, and the in-game store doesn't offer Mordor.

I worked for me. I use chrome with adblocker and ghostery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

AskYourself posted:

I worked for me. I use chrome with adblocker and ghostery.

I also have Chrome, just with no plug-ins. It's got a white background, all the pictures are sized wrong if they display at all (the cart icon takes up slightly over a screen... at 2560x1440) and there's no check out button after I add the version I want to my cart. I get similar results on IE and Firefox, though with fewer mis-sized items. Totally unusable.

Edit: For whatever reason it works on my tablet. wtf, turbine?

Prism fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 24, 2017