Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Just tell women they look great drat don't qualify it or dissect why like a frog on a tray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Just tell women they look great drat don't qualify it or dissect why like a frog on a tray.

Yes. This is the answer to how to compliment.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

But if they don't have at least one contrary comment, how are they gonna look smart huh???

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Wow, you look great!... for it being a Wednesday

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

sorry but this is not how you neg

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
How about you just treat women like human beings and be polite and have a little confidence in yourself. Crazy idea.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

*in a cowboy curtis voice*
what if i told u... u could get laid without treating it like a scientologist doing a magic spell?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sentient Data posted:

Wow, you look great!... for it being a Wednesday
Y'know every February 3rd you look kind-of dumpy, but this year I've got to say you've really pulled it together.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

what if i told u... u could get laid without treating it like a scientologist doing a magic spell?
Get out of here flim flam we ain't buying your zim zam

D.Ork Bimboolean
Aug 26, 2016

My Linux Rig posted:

But if they don't have at least one contrary comment, how are they gonna look smart huh???

You make a great point but your grammar is atrocious.

Sex me human being

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Imagined posted:

How about you just treat women like human beings and be polite and have a little confidence in yourself. Crazy idea.

What do I look like to you, a Chad?!?

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

D.Ork Bimboolean posted:

You make a great point but your grammar is atrocious.

Sex me human being

well excuse me for being grammatically incorrect in the morning

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
A few years back I found this web site: http://www.succeedsocially.com

I found most of the advice solid; would have benefited from it if I hadn't already figured it out, and was solidly on my way to fixing my broke brains.

That said, I wonder what the reaction would be to dropping it in the middle of r/incels :allears:

I'm simultaneously fascinated and disgusted by these guys, and have actually found discussion of them helpful in nudging some frustrated male friends back towards normalcy.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Theokotos posted:

A few years back I found this web site: http://www.succeedsocially.com

I found most of the advice solid; would have benefited from it if I hadn't already figured it out, and was solidly on my way to fixing my broke brains.

That said, I wonder what the reaction would be to dropping it in the middle of r/incels :allears:

I'm simultaneously fascinated and disgusted by these guys, and have actually found discussion of them helpful in nudging some frustrated male friends back towards normalcy.

Here: http://images.kw.com/docs/2/1/2/212345/1285134779158_htwfaip.pdf

You're welcome.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

This can come across as generic, like you're reading off a conversational checklist. The better move, if a little harder because it requires some sensitivity and attentiveness, is to try to spot something she seems to be proud of or that she has emphasized / clearly put some amount of work into and then compliment that.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
In ye olden days of the internet, before this kind of thing became codified as redpill or incel, guys like this used to just whine that women didn't like "nice guys". I used to link then this excellent collection of rants about so-called "nice guys".

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Y'know, while this remains immensely useful I do wonder why so many people treat it like a panacea.

SaltyJesus posted:

This can come across as generic, like you're reading off a conversational checklist. The better move, if a little harder because it requires some sensitivity and attentiveness, is to try to spot something she seems to be proud of or that she has emphasized / clearly put some amount of work into and then compliment that.
Yeah rule of thumb for compliments-- compliment something that took effort, not something that is endemic to the person. For example-- "You have nice boobs" versus "I really like the effort you put into your push-up bra and cardigan today. It really makes your cleavage pop. And if there's foundation or other makeup on your chest I'd never be able to tell."

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

quote:

PART TWO: Ways to Make People Like You............................................................... 65
1 - DO THIS AND YOU’LL BE WELCOME ANYWHERE......................................... 65
2 - A SIMPLE WAY TO MAKE A GOOD FIRST IMPRESSION............................... 75
3 - IF YOU DON’T DO THIS, YOU ARE HEADED FOR TROUBLE......................... 82

Dale Carnegie, inventor of the I
Internet clickbait headline.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
One Weird Trick to Win Friends and Influence People

Stacies hate him

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Imagined posted:

In ye olden days of the internet, before this kind of thing became codified as redpill or incel, guys like this used to just whine that women didn't like "nice guys". I used to link then this excellent collection of rants about so-called "nice guys".

I want to believe this would have made me change my tune back when I was this kind of dipshit but I think it probably would have made me worse.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Y'know, while this remains immensely useful I do wonder why so many people treat it like a panacea.

Yeah rule of thumb for compliments-- compliment something that took effort, not something that is endemic to the person. For example-- "You have nice boobs" versus "I really like the effort you put into your push-up bra and cardigan today. It really makes your cleavage pop. And if there's foundation or other makeup on your chest I'd never be able to tell."

How about noticing changes in make-up, yay or nay?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

In college I was friends with the drama nerds all hanging out doing college kid bullcrap in a house where like 5 of us lived and another half dozen were almost never not visiting... Anyway one gal was doing a dinner theater show in town where she literally played a french whore, complete with caked-on facepaint makeup.

One night as she was going out, my best friend comments on your make up "done up like a French whore, ha ha!" trying to make an in-joke assuming she was going to another performance. She had actually just done herself up for a normal night on the town and he got some serious eye-daggers.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

ngl this book saved me from having a wretched time in my twenties, sorta wish I'd discovered it while I was still in high school tho

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Benny Harvey posted:

Make-up is goddamn magic and there's no way anyone with a dong can tell the difference, so I'm gonna go with a nay. Yay if you can pull it off but it's a high risk strat.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Benny Harvey posted:

"Hey I noticed your eyeliner today." Say absolutely no more, even under duress.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
What? You don't have to be goony about it and catalogue the techniques you imagine she used. Just, like, notice if she went out of her way to make her eyes particularly smoky (protip: women are not born with black eyelids, this shouldn't be beyond your powers of perception) and then say something about how she has lovely eyes. :shrug:

e: or if you've seen her a few times and noticed that she tends to wear turquoise jewelry say that color looks great on her

the points is, compliment something that was a deliberate choice and don't make a German technical user manual out of it

SaltyJesus fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 12, 2017

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

jfc I was making a joke about being ambiguous in perceiving her eyeliner. Did you think she had nice eyeliner today versus other days? Did she screw it up and you're being a pal and pointing it out? Are you just weird and making a statement? What is it? Eyeliner is tough to apply well and instead of teaching someone who to give a compliment I'm advocating a socially inept technique that can foster resentment and insecurity. Boom frog dissected thank you very much.

Apparently this thread is now a multi-layered irony competition to see which forum poster has the true secret to giving good compliments. The key takeaway seems to be to not overthink it by posting a ton of thoughts about not overthinking it.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
ah sorry, I got Poe's lawed

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Do you like cigarettes? Because your eyes are really smoky. Also that gives you cancer so knock it off.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
"My actions alienate me and it's everyone else's fault but mine!"

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Actions have consequences? It's not fair, gently caress the world.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Lol 4channers

Its like a magnet for people who peaked in middle school

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sounds like youhad a big role molding him into the man he is today and you should be proud of your accomplishments.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcAsad-E9CQ

Rich "Chad" Evans

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/R_v_Evans

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Barudak posted:

Sounds like youhad a big role molding him into the man he is today and you should be proud of your accomplishments.

Chads aren't born...they're built from the tears of other Chads.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

1st AD posted:

Chads aren't born...they're built from the tears of other Chads.

They must gently caress their way to the top of the pecker order.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
I would love to see specific examples of "saying a few red pill truths". I'm imagining at least some of them were burned into neighbours lawns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

wit posted:

I would love to see specific examples of "saying a few red pill truths". I'm imagining at least some of them were burned into neighbours lawns.

did you know that women are just weak subservient creatures that you can will into sex with insults
:goonsay:

• Locked thread