Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Imagine if Inside Out was written by money obsessed, creatively bankrupt whores. While sniffing glue.

That's The Emoji Movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

muscles like this! posted:

It is also just so incredibly lazy. Why bother writing a script that let this stuff all come out naturally when you can just have a voiceover explain it right at the beginning?

I wouldn't be surprised if the actual script didn't have the narration but some executive stepped in said "Hey if we don't over-explain things that anyone paying even the tiniet amount of attention could notice we're gonna alienate the drooling moron demographic so lets throw some unnecessary exposition on top of the footage."

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It feels like Sony learned the wrong lesson when they saw The Lego movie.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

Imagine if Inside Out was written by money obsessed, creatively bankrupt whores. While sniffing glue.

That's The Emoji Movie.

As Detective No. 27 said, it's more Lego Movie than Inside Out, right down to the colorful-looking dystopian society.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
When it comes to stories about anthropomorphic symbols, the biggest comparison has to be with the various Sesame Street skits that star muppet alphabet letters and roman numerals.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The MSJ posted:

As Detective No. 27 said, it's more Lego Movie than Inside Out, right down to the colorful-looking dystopian society.
They both do a hidden world sort of story. They kind of seem like they're trying equate the importance of what the emotions and Riley go through in Inside Out with whatever stupid poo poo the kid and some emojis get up to. The girl emoji is a pretty blatant ripoff of Wyldstyle, so there is that.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Jaume Collet-Serra (The Shallows) is circling Suicide Squad 2. Reminder that Mel Gibson was also approached, but don't fret, you can get your Gibson fix in Daddy's Home 2!

http://deadline.com/2017/07/suicide-squad-sequel-jaume-collet-warner-bros-will-smith-margot-robbie-1202126933/

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Casimir Radon posted:

They both do a hidden world sort of story. They kind of seem like they're trying equate the importance of what the emotions and Riley go through in Inside Out with whatever stupid poo poo the kid and some emojis get up to. The girl emoji is a pretty blatant ripoff of Wyldstyle, so there is that.

I have seen very little of the Emoji stuff so I might be far off, but hidden world where the characters fret over their predetermined purpose in life sounds like Wreck-It Ralph.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Tars Tarkas posted:

Jaume Collet-Serra (The Shallows) is circling Suicide Squad 2. Reminder that Mel Gibson was also approached, but don't fret, you can get your Gibson fix in Daddy's Home 2!

Going for the director of Non-Stop over Mel Gibson is insane.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I somehow rewatched Spawn on Netflix today and holy he'll it is actually much worse than I REMEMBER (and I saw it in theatres). That was ungodly whiplash after watching the new Spider man.

So there's never going to be a "proper" Spawn remake right?

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Spawn toys were too big of a thing in my childhood for me to not want another Spawn show or movie. I came up with some dramatic story lines with them in my room. I remember seeing Saving Private Ryan and thinking I did this already.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jul 12, 2017

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Sir Kodiak posted:

Mel Gibson shared his distaste over cape movies, not to mention that he would be more expensive and less controllable (main qualification for all superhero and franchise directors this days).
But drat with him Suicide Squad 2 would have been an ultimate divorced dad movie.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

The Emoji Movie seems like it should be poorly rendered Netflix schlock from India, which would perfectly match its conceptual bankruptcy. Instead they poured enough money on it to at least go out visually looking like a middling Dreamworks effort, and blew tons more money on well known actors to voice the characters. I hope this isn't the start of a trend.
Getting well-known actors to do voice acting is pretty cheap, as far as I know. That was probably hardly a dent in their budget.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm very sad for Patrick Stewart. I hope they paid him well.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm very sad for Patrick Stewart. I hope they paid him well.

I don't know, as much as I'd hate to watch the Emoji movie, I'd love to get paid to work on it. Imagine anyone giving any kind of gently caress on that crew.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
TJ Miller has been openly badmouthing it in interviews, it's great.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Shanty posted:

I don't know, as much as I'd hate to watch the Emoji movie, I'd love to get paid to work on it. Imagine anyone giving any kind of gently caress on that crew.

They should have gone for Michael Caine, he's got a quote ready for that sort of role.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I really liked Apocalypto.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah he's too good for this poo poo.

Non-Stop is a fun, well done movie.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Dinosaurs! posted:

I really liked Apocalypto.

The sequence beginning with the captives' entrance into the capital city > eclipse > spearthrowing game > cornfield escape was so good. That movie has some intense moments.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Yeah he's too good for this poo poo.

Non-Stop is a fun, well done movie.

:rolleyes:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

muscles like this! posted:

I'd be interested in seeing a more faithful adaptation of The Mask. Mainly because the idea is supposed to be kind of horrifying.

I wouldn't say the comics are outright serious horror- they're more along the lines of Hobo with a Shotgun or early Sam Raimi tonally.

The Hunt for Green October would make a loving fantastic reboot/sequel.

e: also, Spawn is an extremely good concept that only the HBO show managed to do anything actually good with. I'd be excited for a remake if McFarlane himself wasn't the main driving force- the HBO show was dope primarily because of Madhouse animating it and putting insane effort in, and because Keith David and Richard Dysart killed their VA roles.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 12, 2017

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Spawn toys were too big of a thing in my childhood for me to not want another Spawn show or movie. I came up with some dramatic story lines with them in my room. I remember seeing Saving Private Ryan and thinking I did this already.

I suspect that if they went for Spawn movie it would end up like Suicide Squad
Which is a little better than if they went for a spawn movie three years ago, where it would end up looking like Fant4stic

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I suspect that if they went for Spawn movie it would end up like Suicide Squad
Which is a little better than if they went for a spawn movie three years ago, where it would end up looking like Fant4stic

If I had to dream up a Spawn movie, it would basically be supernatural John Wick with a touch of Headshot. Dude wakes up in the morgue with no clue who he is or how he got there, and looking like a bad pizza, but with sick Hell powers to make up for it; he slowly pieces together what the deal is, and then goes on a gory rampage targeted at the people who killed him. Put in Clown to go "hey wtf you're supposed to be evil not good" and tease Violator, but save a full appearance for the sequel, and just pretty much don't even touch Malebolgia.

Cast the kid from Get Out as Al Simmons, Old Keanu as Jason Wynn, Michael Shannon as Clown (and go for more of a Gacy vibe than straight-from-the-comics demon dwarf clown), and tweak the backstory so he's an Army Ranger who got betrayed in Afghanistan or something instead of a literal CIA hitman, and then get David Leitch or Gareth Evans to direct, and behold, you have a dope Spawn movie in TYOOL 2017.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 12, 2017

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I got a laugh out of the villain's motivation being "9/11 happened".

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

I got a laugh out of the villain's motivation being "9/11 happened".
At base level that's why Michael Flynn and many others like him are hosed in the head. The plan itself is pretty dumb. But 9/11 broke a lot of brains.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

If I had to dream up a Spawn movie, it would basically be supernatural John Wick with a touch of Headshot. Dude wakes up in the morgue with no clue who he is or how he got there, and looking like a bad pizza, but with sick Hell powers to make up for it; he slowly pieces together what the deal is, and then goes on a gory rampage targeted at the people who killed him. Put in Clown to go "hey wtf you're supposed to be evil not good" and tease Violator, but save a full appearance for the sequel, and just pretty much don't even touch Malebolgia.

Cast the kid from Get Out as Al Simmons, Old Keanu as Jason Wynn, Michael Shannon as Clown (and go for more of a Gacy vibe than straight-from-the-comics demon dwarf clown), and tweak the backstory so he's an Army Ranger who got betrayed in Afghanistan or something instead of a literal CIA hitman, and then get David Leitch or Gareth Evans to direct, and behold, you have a dope Spawn movie in TYOOL 2017.

Get John Leguizamo to reprise his role as Clown

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

For years Todd had been saying that a new Spawn film would be similar in tone to Se7en.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I know this was a number of pages ago now but I just got around to watching Overnight after it was discussed in this thread, and holy poo poo... that whole situation couldn't have happened to a more deserving person (and of course if he hadn't been such a narcissistic shithead it probably wouldn't have happened). And watching that group of greasy Irish-Bostonian stereotypes constantly over-drinking and chain-smoking made me a bit queasy.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Davros1 posted:

For years Todd had been saying that a new Spawn film would be similar in tone to Se7en.

There was a spin off comic series that was exactly like this called The Curse of the Spawn that revolved around those two detectives Sam and Twitch and it was like the worst poo poo ever made so this seems about right for McFarlane.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Davros1 posted:

I remember hearing he wanted it to focus on Sam and Twitch, who are basically Spawn's Gordon and Harvey Bullock, and that Spawn would be a character mostly in the background. I'd actually be down for that but I can see how that wouldn't be marketable.

Edit: I also remember hearing this back in 2007 or so.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
If there's ever another Spawn movie I hope Marvel adds Angela to their movies out of spite.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

FilthyImp posted:

I somehow rewatched Spawn on Netflix today and holy he'll it is actually much worse than I REMEMBER (and I saw it in theatres). That was ungodly whiplash after watching the new Spider man.

So there's never going to be a "proper" Spawn remake right?

Todd McFarlane on a new Spawn movie:

“So I’m going, I’m not selling it but if you want to see the rough draft, I’ll send it to you. But just so everybody knows, I write, produce, direct, non-negotiable.”

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

When I was a kid I thought Spawn was a Venom

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ccubed posted:

“So I’m going, I’m not selling it but if you want to see the rough draft, I’ll send it to you. But just so everybody knows, I write, produce, direct, non-negotiable.”

So we're never going to have another Spawn film.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

He is.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

This is good casting, I always thought the original film would have benefitted from omitting anything to do with Malebolgia as the effects we're loving atrocious HIS MOUTH DIDN'T EVEN MOVE!!

Micheal Jai White could still crush the role though and I like seeing that guy get work.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

I mean, I don't think I hated Non-Stop -- it was obviously too bland for the cast it had, considering I barely remember it at all -- but there's no universe in which that guy is a better director than Mel Gibson.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Hell Venom with a Batman cape, yup.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

ccubed posted:

This approach worked out really well for Frank Miller with the Spirit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ruddiger posted:

This approach worked out really well for Frank Miller with the Spirit.

Frank Miller was asked to do The Spirit by the studio at no point in time did Frank Miller ever own the rights to The Spirit. He did say the reason he accepted it was because he didn't want anyone else to do it, but the studio didn't have to offer it to him at all and likely could have fired him at any point.

• Locked thread