Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm talking purely in terms of aesthetics. I like having a neighborhood where people can have projects strewn around their property, while the typical HOA neighborhood feels lifeless in comparison.

I agree with you there. City ordnances should be the tool used to take care of egregious offenses, not little neighborhood fiefdoms run by the people with sufficient lack of employment to attend all the Tuesday @ 10am meetings.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

QuarkJets posted:

This is another YMMV thing, I've never had any bad landlord stories. When your interactions with landlords don't extend beyond "okay here's the lease" and "yes I can fix this thing that I am legally obligated to fix" then landlords are pretty great

All my landlords were pretty great but I still like not having one. I would probably only value that at like, a few hundred a month though. Also I think my AC just broke so lol, do never buy.

edit: yup, but only $200 to get fixed on a Sunday, hurray.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 10, 2017

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I would honestly, legitimately, rather see houses with cars up on blocks and random trash around the side, than I would the sterile cookie-cutter neighborhoods you get from HOAs.

cookie-cutter neighborhoods are mostly a developer problem, not an HOA problem; plenty of HOA neighborhoods have diverse home and lawn shapes with diverse features, but if the developer built the same house in 100 plots well there's not a lot that can be done about that

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ixian posted:

On the flip side, unless you are in a wealthy area non-HOA neighborhoods trend towards "where ELSE am I going to put my car up on blocks if not my driveway??" types.

That sounds more like an exception than the norm, and my experience bears that out.

Not to mention the fact that most places have some manner of code in force like the IPMC.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

HOAs are not allowed in my county :)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My city says I have to keep my garbage bins out of sight and can't just have six-foot weeds for a "lawn" but otherwise leaves me alone about window treatments or the condition and color of my paint. That is a good balance between not crushing my neighbors' property values, and preseving my right to manage my property as I see fit. HOAs are great for upkeeping your shared private road or community pool, but the obsession with property values and homogeneity is harmful and gross.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I don't have an HOA and I'm glad of it, but it would be nice to have some sort of mechanism in place to fund things like tree trimming, repaving, etc. that the city I live in simply won't pay for.

I really just want my street re-asphalted so I can skate on it. :stoked:

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Look at it this way, you COULD buy a house. Live in it 2 days. Have to evacuate because of a flood then spend nearly a year trying to get everything put back :haw:

:smith:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I don't have an HOA and I'm glad of it, but it would be nice to have some sort of mechanism in place to fund things like tree trimming, repaving, etc. that the city I live in simply won't pay for.

I really just want my street re-asphalted so I can skate on it. :stoked:

Run for city council. I think if you have a catchy name you will win I never know who is who when I vote for that.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
I'm not in an HOA, but am in a designated Historic District. No one is bothering me about day to day poo poo, but god help me if I want to install energy efficient windows or replace some siding with Hardi.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Axiem posted:

Last night or so, it apparently collapsed, and now we have a backflow of sewage in our basement. Lovely stuff, really. My wife started with a plumber today (the same ones who did the inspection, as I understand it), who confirmed that the issue is a collapsed pipe.

Following up on this, Monday morning my wife got ahold of someone at City Hall, and they got the whole thing patched up this morning. Turns out that when the contractors ran fiber through the neighborhood a couple weeks ago, they clipped our (already cracked) sewer line, causing it to collapse over the next week or two!

At least we have working toilets again. You don't appreciate modern plumbing as much as when you don't have it for a weekend.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fixing wooden slat blinds has got to be one of the most insanely frustrating things I've ever done. So drat fiddly and even the new plastic replacement drum cradles I bought would break if you so much as breathed on them

The worst part is that I still need to replace some of the string ladders, pull cords and mounting brackets. It'd probably be worth it just to get some new blinds made.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 12, 2017

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The wife and I bought our first house just over a month ago. Condolences to us. Current projects are basic paint/clean/easy repair work. The house was built in '75 on a concrete slab and is in generally sound condition overall.

We definitely need new HVAC within the next year, maybe two at most. How do I determine whether I'm getting ripped off or not? What should I look for in a contractor for HVAC installation? What size unit do I need? Our house is just under 1300 sq. ft.

Also we had our power company send out a dude to do an "energy audit" and basically replace a bunch of bulbs with LEDs. He also gave us a bunch of documentation on solar panels. Worth it? I'm leaning toward no because we don't intend to live here longer than 5-7 years and the upfront cost is still fairly high.

...But at least I grill. :hfive:

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jul 12, 2017

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

My neighborhood has no HOA and I can confirm that it's the way to go. The owner of the rental house nextdoor was like, "you should fix up x, y, and z blah blah blah" and I was like "nah"

I'd hate for people like her to wield any power over me

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Previa_fun posted:

The wife and I bought our first house just over a month ago. Condolences to us. Current projects are basic paint/clean/easy repair work. The house was built in '75 on a concrete slab and is in generally sound condition overall.

We definitely need new HVAC within the next year, maybe two at most. How do I determine whether I'm getting ripped off or not? What should I look for in a contractor for HVAC installation? What size unit do I need? Our house is just under 1300 sq. ft.

Also we had our power company send out a dude to do an "energy audit" and basically replace a bunch of bulbs with LEDs. He also gave us a bunch of documentation on solar panels. Worth it? I'm leaning toward no because we don't intend to live here longer than 5-7 years and the upfront cost is still fairly high.

get multiple bids for HVAC.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Previa_fun posted:

:hfive: grilling is the best especially with propane.

Get at least 3 bids from local HVAC people and compare them. You don't want a system so large it doesn't run long enough to handle humidity and actually push all of your air around, or so small it runs forever. How do you know it needs replacing? Do it in an "off season" when the local companies have more time on their hands, right now sitting in the heat everyone is replacing their failed units and they are going gangbusters.

If your house isn't insulated, do that. Attic is easy enough to figure out, sadly the walls involve drilling holes. <10 years I wouldn't do solar, selling a house with a lease on the roof is hard (if you want to avoid capital costs) and financing/cash is never going to pay off.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Previa_fun posted:

The wife and I bought our first house just over a month ago.

Congrats dawg(s)! You still up in NWA?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Thesaurus posted:

My neighborhood has no HOA and I can confirm that it's the way to go. The owner of the rental house nextdoor was like, "you should fix up x, y, and z blah blah blah" and I was like "nah"

I'd hate for people like her to wield any power over me

If you had an HOA she wouldn't even be able to rent the house out so

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

HEY NONG MAN posted:

If you had an HOA she wouldn't even be able to rent the house out so

That's far from universal. My direct HOA experience was as a renter years ago.

TuringM
Jul 12, 2017
Hi all.

I'm going to start regularly mowing a couple of lawns soon, and as such need to pick out a lawnmower to use. I was wondering if anyone here might be able to point me in a good direction, as its not something I have a lot of experience with, so I hardly know whats out there to choose from, let alone a particularly good lawnmower to single out and buy. I also honestly kind of hate mowing, so anything to make that experience a little easier now that I must participate in it would be great.

Not sure what particular info is needed, but I can say I'm not looking for a ride-along mower; self-propelling might be a plus but if that comes at a significant price bump I don't need it. The only thing I'm particularly aware of needing is that it needs to start when I want it to start. (In the past I've been stuck with a very old, questionably functional lawnmower that refused to start more days than it actually ran, so I'd like to avoid that experience repeating itself.)

Thanks a lot, if anyone can help out.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I'm not sure what you're asking. You want a gas-powered push mower.

Just get one, they're pretty much disposable at this point like everything else you'll ever buy.

I've had something like this for 4 years now:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Toro-22-in-Recycler-SmartStow-High-Wheel-Variable-Speed-Walk-Behind-Gas-Self-Propelled-Mower-20339/205026227

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TuringM posted:

Hi all.

I'm going to start regularly mowing a couple of lawns soon, and as such need to pick out a lawnmower to use. I was wondering if anyone here might be able to point me in a good direction, as its not something I have a lot of experience with, so I hardly know whats out there to choose from, let alone a particularly good lawnmower to single out and buy. I also honestly kind of hate mowing, so anything to make that experience a little easier now that I must participate in it would be great.

Not sure what particular info is needed, but I can say I'm not looking for a ride-along mower; self-propelling might be a plus but if that comes at a significant price bump I don't need it. The only thing I'm particularly aware of needing is that it needs to start when I want it to start. (In the past I've been stuck with a very old, questionably functional lawnmower that refused to start more days than it actually ran, so I'd like to avoid that experience repeating itself.)

Thanks a lot, if anyone can help out.

How much lawn are you cutting and do you have a decent amount of storage space? If it's an acre of more my go-to is always a 48" walk behind, picked up used from a landscaper.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

CloFan posted:

Congrats dawg(s)! You still up in NWA?

Indeed. Down in West Fork because the real estate market in NWA proper is buckwild. Still only a 20 minute commute.

Thanks for the advice. Our attic definitely needs more insulation so I'll look into that.

TuringM
Jul 12, 2017

Motronic posted:

How much lawn are you cutting and do you have a decent amount of storage space? If it's an acre of more my go-to is always a 48" walk behind, picked up used from a landscaper.

Nothing so significant, just a moderately sized front yard that you might expect out of an American suburb or thereabouts, and a backyard that is about twice that, give or take. Plenty of storage space though, but I doubt I'd really need much.

No Butt Stuff posted:

I'm not sure what you're asking. You want a gas-powered push mower.

Just get one, they're pretty much disposable at this point like everything else you'll ever buy.

I've had something like this for 4 years now:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Toro-22-in-Recycler-SmartStow-High-Wheel-Variable-Speed-Walk-Behind-Gas-Self-Propelled-Mower-20339/205026227

If there really is no more nuance to it than this, thats fine by me, I'm just not aware if there is some additional nuance, or particular brands that would be preferable, etc. I'm just used to things that have quite a bit of particulars, like building computers, but if its honestly just "get one that goes" then I'll do that.

Though I will say, if electric lawn mowers are any good, I could see wanting to avoid having to buy gas all the time.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

If you're mowing multiple lawns I'd avoid electric.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

TuringM posted:

Though I will say, if electric lawn mowers are any good, I could see wanting to avoid having to buy gas all the time.

Get a five gallon can and it will probably last you all summer if you're just using a push behind.

As for features, look for a mulching lawnmower and blade (blades can be changed out), and self propelled if you hate mowing. You might not need the latter but it makes it more pleasant if your yard is sloped or it's 95 degrees.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
People seem to like the honda powered ones if money is not an issue. I usually just ask around at work and someone always has one they want to get rid of for 10 bucks.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I also have the 22inch Toro recycler and have done a very poor job taking care of it over the last 5 years, have had to replace a flywheel sheer key once without any idea what I was doing, and it still starts up with zero issues.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Yeah, something with a Briggs and Stratton or Honda motor will be fairly indestructible if you check the oil once in a while. Be sure to get rear-wheel drive if you're getting self-propelled and have any hills.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

No Butt Stuff posted:

If you're mowing multiple lawns I'd avoid electric.

Why is that? I mow a neighbour-shared back yard and two smallish front yards with an old, simple electric and it seems to work fine. What am I missing?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Why is that? I mow a neighbour-shared back yard and two smallish front yards with an old, simple electric and it seems to work fine. What am I missing?

I seem to remember the best electric mower only giving you 45 minutes to an hour of battery life.

My yard isn't huge, by mid-western standards, but it still takes me 45 minutes to push mow it, even self-propelled.

If you're doing 2-3 of these, you're going to stretch your lawn-mowing day waaaaay out waiting for charge.

I would think. I guess this could've changed since the last time I did any real reading about electric mowers.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Some electric mowers have cords though.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Does anyone use a corded snowblower? Everything else I have is corded and I really like that, but I got a gas snowblower for free and would like to go electric on that as well. Is it even a thing?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Some electric mowers have cords though.

Mine, for example!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Uh yeah "electric mower" by default means with a cord, otherwise it's a battery operated mower. I use an inexpensive corded mower along with a 100 foot outdoor-rated 15 amp extension cord to mow a front and back yard and it works great. I'd only avoid corded electric if you have a lot of obstacles to work around (cord gets tangled) or if you'll be mowing too far from the nearest outlet to be practical. Otherwise, not having to deal with gas is a godsend and not running out of battery power is very nice.

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
I have a battery powered mower and think it's pretty great. Definitely beats inhaling exhaust and getting tinnitus. I have a small yard, maybe 1500 square feet front and back, so battery life isn't an issue. But the batteries take about 3 seconds to swap out, and if you buy a trimmer or something else that goes with the same system, you could pick up a second battery and those two together should get you through a pretty good sized lawn.

edit: I just have the cheap Ryobi from Home Depot and it works fine. It also looks like a bright green racecar so that's a plus.

Kase Im Licht fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 13, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I have a ryobi hybrid trimmer, e.g., it can run on corded or cordless, and I quite like it. I have four batteries now, though, across my various ryobi tools. If I wind up replacing my old mower I might consider battery operated; but one thing I do notice when switching from battery to corded with the trimmer is that in corded mode, it's just massively better - far more power. Like you said though, for a smaller yard, battery operated can still be effective.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
New plumber (old one was a no show twice) came and figured out that the prior owner had screwed into the waste pipe for the toilet in 4 locations, somehow. Not much room around the pipes so hopefully there is an in-place product to patch without adding much size to the pipe, otherwise this is going to get expensive.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Erwin posted:

Yeah, something with a Briggs and Stratton or Honda motor will be fairly indestructible if you check the oil once in a while. Be sure to get rear-wheel drive if you're getting self-propelled and have any hills.

Uhhh..no. B&S is junk. Honda is a different class and so much better (you will also pay for this but it's worth it). It's not 1985.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Bozart posted:

New plumber (old one was a no show twice) came and figured out that the prior owner had screwed into the waste pipe for the toilet in 4 locations, somehow. Not much room around the pipes so hopefully there is an in-place product to patch without adding much size to the pipe, otherwise this is going to get expensive.

Is it ABS pipe, old iron pipe, what? Guessing the former if a screw went through it but you never know.

If the holes are small (from screws) and in a vertical section epoxy will do the trick usually. If they are on horizontal sections you can do that as well but there's more chance of it failing in the years ahead, depending on where the hole is. Not that likely though if you prep it correctly and the hole is small enough.

If it is older iron pipe you can use epoxy and put a clamp fitting around it.

In all cases a plumber will tell you the correct approach is to cut out the pierced section and replace it. Which is the best way for certain but will also involve cutting out sections of the wall, etc. and in general be an expensive pain in the rear end as you know, particularly if it is older pipe.