Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Eh, I'll defer to you then on how they are faring. Someone was commenting at one point that the Necro wasn't at a competitive advantage with Manald wiz/hammerdin but given what you say that must have been during the closed beta and I'm just remembering old/deprecated factoids.

Didn't Blizzard say at one point they wanted to deliver the Necro slightly over tuned? Either that or I am just confusing this with what they say about their intent for new Overwatch characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Dameius posted:

Eh, I'll defer to you then on how they are faring. Someone was commenting at one point that the Necro wasn't at a competitive advantage with Manald wiz/hammerdin but given what you say that must have been during the closed beta and I'm just remembering old/deprecated factoids.

Didn't Blizzard say at one point they wanted to deliver the Necro slightly over tuned? Either that or I am just confusing this with what they say about their intent for new Overwatch characters.

No, they said they wanted it UNDER tuned, the only game they put out overpowered poo poo then nerf is World of Warcraft, Overwatch and Heroes of the Storm. For games where you have to buy the extra content, they make sure you get shafted.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
Can anyone drop me an invite to LLJK? I'm Phuzzy#1979

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
It's nice to see that other people don't enjoy the Barbarian. I love Warriors in WoW and thought I'd really like the Barb in D3, it was one of the first class I wanted to play when I bought the game almost 2 weeks ago. Turns out it's just not fun. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, I hit 70 and tried some Rend/WW build from Icy-Veins but I never have enough Rage for attacks. Maybe if I had a couple set pieces it would be better, but I don't know. My first class to 70 was the Witch Doctor but that was fun right away and got even better once I got some of the Helltooth set pieces. I just wanted to play as a big brute and smash stuff. Crusader was also boring and I shelved him at 45.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

If it's fun then that's my jam

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

flirty dental hygienist posted:

It's nice to see that other people don't enjoy the Barbarian. I love Warriors in WoW and thought I'd really like the Barb in D3, it was one of the first class I wanted to play when I bought the game almost 2 weeks ago. Turns out it's just not fun. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, I hit 70 and tried some Rend/WW build from Icy-Veins but I never have enough Rage for attacks. Maybe if I had a couple set pieces it would be better, but I don't know. My first class to 70 was the Witch Doctor but that was fun right away and got even better once I got some of the Helltooth set pieces. I just wanted to play as a big brute and smash stuff. Crusader was also boring and I shelved him at 45.

Try the monk, I find it much more akin to the warrior class than the others.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Phuzzy posted:

Can anyone drop me an invite to LLJK? I'm Phuzzy#1979

The Americas' LLJK community doesn't require an invitation. Clck find community, search for LLJK and join the result with the most members. If you want to join a goon clan on top of it, ask in the community channel. There's still several active ones.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Suspicious posted:

The Americas' LLJK community doesn't require an invitation. Clck find community, search for LLJK and join the result with the most members. If you want to join a goon clan on top of it, ask in the community channel. There's still several active ones.

Cool! I forgot about Communities

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Guilty posted:

On the other hand, everyone is complaining because it's not the D2 Necro we dreamed of. There's no reliable pets build that doesn't involve constantly mashing buttons (although they did improve rathmas), corpse explosion is a shadow of its former self, and almost half the skills on the Necro skill bar are completely useless.

Yup, my disappointment with the Necromancer are all playstyle, not power. The Necromancer has proven to have some sets strong enough to do things, even if they require 2- minute cooldowns to run, like several other top builds. I wish they'd given us a pet set that had better pet synergy, no stupid stacking mechanics for 4pc and 6pc, more pets, all commandable and auto-spawn like command skeletons, where I could curse and command, not curse and command and summon and summon (I could stop here with full set bonus now, but then I'm down 6 mages' worth of damage so...) and summon and summon and summon, to be repeated shortly.

I know they won't redesign the class skills, so at best we will get some tweaks, but with a bit more duration on skeletal mages (via passive perhaps), I think I can live with what we got. Playing Diablo 2 Necromancer as a petmancer, and then hearing from Blizzcon that everyone really wanted the Necromancer in Diablo 3 and that's what they're giving us, I foolishly set my expectations that it would be similar to D2's, but it is only in name and appearance. That being said, I'm still having fun with Inarius, I see Trag has a real strong setup that requires some skill to push with, and they're working to make Pestilence great again for speed farming so that will be a lot of fun if they do it right.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

On the other hand spammy playstyles can be good because it results in fewer goons typing in LLJK chat, which I think we can all agree is a net positive.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I wouldn't give up on a class until you've tried out some of their end game builds with 6 piece sets. They're way different and much, much more powerful. Since these really don't take that long to get anymore, there's no reason not to. I used to hate Monk but loved dropping bells on people the one season I stopped being a sissy and gave it a chance.

With all that said, Barb and Crusader are my least favorite to play. :v: Demon Hunter is far and away my favorite. I'll likely play WD this season because I've never given it a fair shake either. That's unless they do some big changes to the necro when the patch drops, then I'll drop the coin and buy it. Just wasn't that fun in the beta.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Barbs are a-okay.

People that play monks should be given living funerals and live burials.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

On the other hand spammy playstyles can be good because it results in fewer goons typing in LLJK chat, which I think we can all agree is a net positive.

:tipshat:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Only two classes I haven't touched are Monk and Witch Doctor.

Suggestions on which one I should roll for Season 11? I'm assuming basically everyone but me will be playing Necro so maybe whichever one complements a Necro Team?

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
If you gave up on Barb without trying leapquake then you totally hosed up.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Suggestions on which one I should roll for Season 11? I'm assuming basically everyone but me will be playing Necro so maybe whichever one complements a Necro Team?

Witch Doctor so you can troll necros about you actually having good pets, without carpal tunnel.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Barbarians are best because literally none of them ever walk or run anywhere. You either spin around like the Tasmanian Devil (bonus points for slobbering "Laaaa-buhhhh-daaaa-buhhhh-LURRRRR" in the mic), or you hopscotch around with your KaBoom Shoes, or you zig-zag around like the goddamn Flash while making dudes explode.

Also Barbarians get to Crack Open a Cold One with the Buls and roll 4-deep anytime they like

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

Larrymer posted:

I wouldn't give up on a class until you've tried out some of their end game builds with 6 piece sets. They're way different and much, much more powerful. Since these really don't take that long to get anymore, there's no reason not to. I used to hate Monk but loved dropping bells on people the one season I stopped being a sissy and gave it a chance.

That's the problem I'm having, finding a fun build to farm the rifts for set drops. The Witch Doctor it was easy cause everything was fun. With the Barb I'm having a hard time finding a good build with synergy that works without set pieces. I want to like the Barbarian but so far it's just not doing it for me.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

That's the problem I'm having, finding a fun build to farm the rifts for set drops. The Witch Doctor it was easy cause everything was fun. With the Barb I'm having a hard time finding a good build with synergy that works without set pieces. I want to like the Barbarian but so far it's just not doing it for me.

Don't use that Sages Journey or whatever set for Speedruns/Farming. It's better to use an actual Build because you'll kill enemies faster/better/higher difficulty than you would if you neutered yourself to run that other set.

Literally every Barbarian build on Icy Veins, other than the Zero Damage Support Barb, has a Speedfarm variation. What's your favorite Set?

https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/furious-charge-barbarian-speed-farming-variation
https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/whirlwind-bul-kathos-barbarian-speed-farming-variation
https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/hota-barbarian-speed-farming-variation
https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/frenzy-thorns-barbarian-speed-farming-variation
https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/leap-earthquake-barbarian-speed-farming-variation
https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/rend-barbarian-speed-farming-variation

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Witch Doctor has a load of really good builds and they're great fun.

Monk has less fun builds, but it's okay too I guess.

Think I might go Wiz this season, cos while I want to go Crusader, I don't like being pigeonholed into a couple of builds, one of which is a LoN shitheap.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Looking forward to a Barb myself this season, ran Crusader in 10 just to try the class out and had fun but didn't do much past getting the set. I may try and push some GRs just for fun while we wait.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Based on the gifted sets this season I'd go with Witch Doctor. Helltooth is real strong. The Monk's Storms set isn't bad either but Helltooth will work with whatever you else you pick up immediately.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Don't use that Sages Journey or whatever set for Speedruns/Farming. It's better to use an actual Build because you'll kill enemies faster/better/higher difficulty than you would if you neutered yourself to run that other set.

Literally every Barbarian build on Icy Veins, other than the Zero Damage Support Barb, has a Speedfarm variation. What's your favorite Set?

https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/furious-charge-barbarian-speed-farming-variation
https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/whirlwind-bul-kathos-barbarian-speed-farming-variation
https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/hota-barbarian-speed-farming-variation
https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/frenzy-thorns-barbarian-speed-farming-variation
https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/leap-earthquake-barbarian-speed-farming-variation
https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/rend-barbarian-speed-farming-variation

I don't have a favorite set for the Barbarian since I don't have any set pieces for him yet. It's not fun playing the fresh 70/beginner build that icy-veins lists so I haven't really been playing to him even try to farm for set items. It takes too long to kill stuff with just Whirlwind, and then I have rage issues where I don't have enough rage to even use WW, like my shouts are on cooldown, etc.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Finally managed to reforge my Jesseth Skullscythe into an ancient weapon. In the process I also discovered that one-handed scythes are functionally identical to one-handed axes in terms of their base stats, which is good to know when using the reroll calculator.

I don't have a favorite set for the Barbarian since I don't have any set pieces for him yet. It's not fun playing the fresh 70/beginner build that icy-veins lists so I haven't really been playing to him even try to farm for set items. It takes too long to kill stuff with just Whirlwind, and then I have rage issues where I don't have enough rage to even use WW, like my shouts are on cooldown, etc.
You really need the Bul-Kathos set to make Whirlwind work. I believe there are a couple of builds that can function without it, but as you have pretty much sod all in terms of equipment they aren't really relevant to you.

MMAgCh fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 12, 2017

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Witch Doctors are always in need, and they fulfill a role in the meta no other character can so far. Also no one ever plays WD, so you'll always be in demand

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I tried monk last season, got to paragon 600 and switched to DH. Monk is just not fun. Also it's one of the weakest classes in the game for solo'ing.

Thorg
Jan 1, 2007
Thorg hungry! Thorg want eat!

veedubfreak posted:

I tried monk last season, got to paragon 600 and switched to DH. Monk is just not fun. Also it's one of the weakest classes in the game for solo'ing.

I have always disliked the monk/it's my least played. Ranged Wave of Light is so much fun though if you're not pushing GRs and really changed how I feel about the class. My least favorite is Wizard now because I HATE all of the wizard's sets and LoN is garbage on them. My monk is a better wizard than my wizard. I just want Frozen Orb to be good and play similarly to UE - Multishot :(.

Guilty
May 3, 2003

veedubfreak posted:

Monk is the worst solo, but best multiplayer. 90% of all 2 to 4 man groups has a monk in it. Also, one of the quickest to level since everything the class does maxes xp gains.

But if you hate playing healer/tank/support roles, you'll also hate monk too.

Eelface
Jul 23, 2002

I'm going dh to easily do grift 70 then switch to zmonk with some necro playing for fun. Zmonk is the ultimate beer drinking class

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

Swilo posted:

Definitely normal in my experience but also stupid, whenever it happens try taking a step or teleporting to refresh your position then it should start working again.

I've been trying this and I feel like maybe the archon beam is just a lot narrower than it looks. There's been plenty of times where the beam is clearly intersecting the target but nothing is happening. I guess the entire build being built around a flat 15% chance doesn't help the feeling of things just not working sometimes.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
despite all the bad reviews i was gonna give skellybro the ol college try until i saw blizzard wants me to pay for this???

lmao just lmao

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Eelface posted:

I'm going dh to easily do grift 70 then switch to zmonk with some necro playing for fun. Zmonk is the ultimate beer drinking class

See I did dh last season, so I'm going 1 handed wiz build this season. With numlock you never have to touch your keyboard on dh :P

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

exquisite tea posted:

Or in this or any other version of this thread.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Akhan's+Torvald's+Sages is absolutely worth it. You can clear 80-100 DB in a good TX rift in 2-3 minutes. Compare that to the 50-60 you could hope to get from a TXIII rift, it's just good for farming. I have had similar results with Tal Rasha.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Bust Rodd posted:

Akhan's+Torvald's+Sages is absolutely worth it. You can clear 80-100 DB in a good TX rift in 2-3 minutes. Compare that to the 50-60 you could hope to get from a TXIII rift, it's just good for farming. I have had similar results with Tal Rasha.

I'll back this up. It's a super easy farm class and DB is never my issue, it's always the poo poo from yellow weapons that I need.

I recently threw together a legit LoN bomb build and while it's much more powerful and I can nuke txiii++++ bosses, nothing is as fast as the akkhan/norvold/sage. Mine is good enough to bomb t12s into dust now, and can handle t13s.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
How is non-pet Necro? Like suppose I just want to throw bones and spirits at people all day, is there a good set for that?

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

How is non-pet Necro? Like suppose I just want to throw bones and spirits at people all day, is there a good set for that?

Corpse Lance is outperforming every other skill in the game right now

Edit: literally every other skill. For every class

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I finished this game for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Now I'm level 65 or so and started Adventure Mode. It's fun and I like it but in the Quest for Loot I'm not sure what's more efficient: Adventure Mode or Nephalem Rifts?

Also I'm confused about the way the game hands you loot. I have yet to see an Armor Set item but as I understand their drop is totally random (could drop from a rat or a boss) and you can find items for another class' armor set. What are you supposed to do with Legendaries of another class? Stash it, disenchant, sell it to a merchant?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Rifts have a higher chance of dropping legendaries. You should only do bounties for materials. 6 piece class sets only start dropping on Torment difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Having taken all the most popular Necro builds into GR80+ now I think Trag'ouls with pets is probably my favorite. It clears fast, it's pretty sturdy once you get on a roll, and it satisfies the feeling of swarming the screen with skeletons. I also like that you're not relegated to becoming a 2-minute wonder or relying on the Decrepify belt, and it's actually pretty novel to stack Life % instead of CDR for a change. Once everything is going I have something like 3.5mil health. Its major weakness, like all other Necro sets really, is that you're ridiculously weak before you get a good Devour + Bone Armor + health globe stack rolling and it's easy to get stuck in an endless loop of pain if you die even once against a tough elite pack.