Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

To be fair not one but two Galaxy-class starships went charging into the Neutral Zone on a gambit to swipe lost technology from a dead civilization, and also Captain Kirk straight-up charged into Romulan space, punched out a Romulan guard, and stole a cloaking device. The Federation has not been pure as the driven snow on this matter either.
Kirk going into the Neutral Zone happens way after Balance of Terror when a Romulan ship blows up several outposts on the Federation side of the border and almost destroys the Enterprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Angry Salami posted:

I imagine the Klingons are big on hunting and have lots of big game reserves on their homeworld. Klingon environmentalists would probably be a bit more Teddy Rosevelt than hippies, but probably not that rare...

We must keep them alive, so in the future we may kill their children!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cojawfee posted:

That would be an interesting plan. Send someone on a suicide mission with a ship that has some bad technology that appears to be superior but has a hidden flaw.

This was the plot of Into Darkness.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Actually I think you'll find the plot of Into Darkness wa-

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Next DS9 episode: oh christ, the lounge singer

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Next DS9 episode: oh christ, the lounge singer

Oh boy, here come all the Vic apologists.

Vic is bad, y'all. Deal with it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

WampaLord posted:

Oh boy, here come all the Vic apologists.

Vic is bad, y'all. Deal with it.

Sounds like you have a lot of growing up to do

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Vic is really good gently caress the haters

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Vic is good.

Vic's backdrop is ugly and bad.

Some Vic scenes are too long because they are not the Defiant blowing things up or Garak being a plain simple tailor or the Sisko saying BASEball.

I hated and resented Vic when DS9 first aired. Now I like Vic.

Vic is good.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Vic is the best. It's Only A Paper Moon is one of the best DS9 episodes.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The first Vic episode was kinda dumb but his role in It's Only A Paper Moon makes him good forever in my mind.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Badda Bing Badda Bang is real good too

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Vic is a more effective councilor than any ever seen in starfleet.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I've never really taken to the 60s rat pack thing, and this is more of the same.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

I've never really taken to the 60s rat pack thing, and this is more of the same.

Hell, I like lounge singing and I still hate Vic. He's just not Star Trek, he sticks out like a sore thumb, like how Joe Piscopo did.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Vic would have been okay if he was a one- or two-episode thing, or if his appearances were way more infrequent. He suffers from the same problem as Ezri, where they add her to the mix so late in the game that just to get you familiar with her they basically have to jam her down your throat every other episode. However Ezri is at least cute and her character is interesting.

Mirror Vic being inexplicably real is a good joke though

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

Ezri, where they add her to the mix so late in the game that just to get you familiar with her they basically have to jam her down your throat every other episode

It's not that the producers thought "we have to make the audience like Ezri, let's tell fifty Ezri stories." It's that when you throw a new character into a show on its 7th season, the writers are like those old nature documentaries where they throw a dead cow into a river full of piranha: "OH THANK GOD SOMETHING NEW TO WRITE ABOUT PLEASE LET ME WRITE AN EZRI STORY." Same thing happened on Voyager when Seven was introduced.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Inescapable Duck posted:

More or less what I was thinking. And they are carnivores (or at least lean far more towards it than humans) who prefer raw meat, so a healthy environment is even more key for their quality of life.

Though their moon cracking open was probably an environmental catastrophe.

Actually, given their apparently feudal society, I imagine a lot of wildlife is considered property of the House that owns the land/claims the territory, and they probably have old-style poaching laws, and poachers, gamekeepers and such to go with it.
Praxis cracking open was probably a huge problem and I imagine most of the Klingon economic problems it caused were because now they were gonna have to put so much resources into managing that poo poo, possibly building out a weather control network on Qonos, and so on.

Klingons would probably be all about healthy ecosystems even if their focus might be more on making it so that you can max out the number of huntables in a jungle space. There are certainly klingon farmers. Someone has to grow the gagh.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I hate Voyager but I've been selectively watching a few Voyager episodes just to see what it was like, I was young when it was on.

What bothers me the most about it is actually how dark it is, literally. The sets are all poorly lit and the ship looks like a ghost house, some of the episodes are oogie boogie stuff too so it all feels like fantasy horror more than scifi. I would love to visit Deep Space Nine but I would probably kill myself if I had to be stuck on this dark depressing ship with these idiot characters. Most of the species aren't cool or have some horrifying racial trait like harvesting organs or whatever.

I liked the Demon episode and Blink of an Eye because I like episodes about wonky planets.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh my god this is painful to watch and I've still got 26 minutes to go. Is it all 'Odo learns to lighten up with the help of his annoying pal Vic?'

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The_Doctor posted:

Oh my god this is painful to watch and I've still got 26 minutes to go. Is it all 'Odo learns to lighten up with the help of his annoying pal Vic?'

Not really but that's a significant component

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

You know this is probably kind of a big strength of the Federation. If some alien gangsters made it so Sol was going to go supernova in ten years or twenty years, or blew up the Moon, or something, it seems likely that Federation governance could shift to Vulcan or Andor or something without a massive upheaval or the collapse of the entire system. If they had enough warning they could probably evacuate Earth in an orderly manner!

Meanwhile losing Cardassia, Romulus, Qonos, Ferenginar, that'd basically be the end of those cultures as space-powers, even if it wouldn't mean there were no more Ferengis or Klingons around. I assume this may have happened to the Orions.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nessus posted:

Someone has to grow the gagh.

Sure: slaves. The Klingon Empire isn't just the Klingon homeworld and Klingon colonies, it's all the slave species on tributary worlds within the Klingon borders. Kirk describes it thusly:

quote:

Gentlemen, I have seen what the Klingons do to planets like yours. They are organised into vast slave labour camps. No freedoms whatsoever. Your goods will be confiscated. Hostages taken and killed, your leaders confined. You'd be far better off on a penal planet. Infinitely better off.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Vic the character is good, lounge singing is loving awful

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

shadok posted:

Sure: slaves. The Klingon Empire isn't just the Klingon homeworld and Klingon colonies, it's all the slave species on tributary worlds within the Klingon borders. Kirk describes it thusly:

I've always wondered how the various non-federation states work. Either they have a bunch of slave/subject species we never see, or the Klingon population must be much much much larger than the Human population, because it has to rival the combined efforts of all Federation member species.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

I'll somewhat agree with this. Vic is ok, if annoying, but god the singing. Coming right after In the Pale Moonlight, this was such a jarring shift.

gently caress that took an age to finish.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Trekmovie has been digging up Roddenberry's post-trek projects and the latest one is, drum-roll please, a 70's sex comedy. :gonk: It's based on a novel Gene didn't write, but he did his best to stuff it full of the Rod and Berries greatest hits.

There's also this gem regarding the TMP novelization:

quote:

The novelization of The Motion Picture, written by the Great Bird himself, gets even more raunchy with Gene actually addressing (and refuting) Kirk/Spock slash fiction. At the same time he makes their relationship so intense that it seems weird that they’re not having sex (look up “T’hy’la” some time). There are regular status reports on the state of Kirk’s genitals, with the good captain getting a chubby in a meeting with his ex-wife and upon seeing his new Deltan navigator for the first time. Spock describes the Enterprise as having private rooms where he overhears couples boinking. Decker actually bones the Ilia-probe with V’Ger listening in. And, of course, there’s so much more discussion of Deltan promiscuity. And what the heck was Kirk’s mom doing with a “love instructor”? That one is mentioned on page one!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I just looked it up and Vic appears in 8 episodes, 2 in season 6 and 6 in season 7. 1 of those in season 7 is the mirror universe episode so that doesn't really count. He legitimately stars in 3 episodes, His Way, Paper Moon, and Badda Bing. I'll agree that His Way isn't really good and doesn't come in a good place tonally but Paper Moon and Badda Bing are legitimately some of the best episodes of Star Trek drama and comedy, respectively. The rest of those episodes he's on screen for a few minutes at most.

Even if you don't like Vic - also if you don't like Vic you're wrong - he's barely a part of the show outside of his guest starring episodes.

Plus if he wasn't a lounge singer how could we have gotten https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hPrxYRzuAg ? Spoilers for Badda Bing.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The Vic scene in the finale is really top notch, aside from some odd blocking.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I always assumed that the Klingons/Romulans had other species nominally aligned (like Naussicans, are they Klingon affiliated? They wear similar uniforms IIRC.)

But I honestly never gave it too much thought.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Tsaedje posted:

I find your analysis logical and compelling.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Trekmovie has been digging up Roddenberry's post-trek projects and the latest one is, drum-roll please, a 70's sex comedy. :gonk: It's based on a novel Gene didn't write, but he did his best to stuff it full of the Rod and Berries greatest hits.

Yeah, Pretty Maids All in a Row was an expensive disaster and basically destroyed Roddenberry's non-Trek writing career.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Moriatti posted:

Naussicans, are they Klingon affiliated? They wear similar uniforms IIRC.

No, they're from somewhere in non-aligned space. They show up as pirates, or as mercs working for the Ferengi or the Orions.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Timby posted:

This was the plot of Into Darkness.

I thought for a second that maybe Into Darkness was so bad that I forgot some big plot element, but there doesn't seem to be anything similar in it.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

shadok posted:

To be fair, Kirk's description of Klingon Slave Worlds reads a lot like what an American in 1968 would say to a propective Soviet satellite state, and that was pretty much the 1:1 allegory--the Feds were the Yangs US, the Klingons were the Koms Soviets. While life in the Second World wasn't all that great, there was a lot of hyperbole and propaganda in those days. So perhaps looking back years later, Kirk may have been exaggerating as well.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
For that matter, Ferengi probably don't eat the people they do business with

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There's also this gem regarding the TMP novelization:

I actually owned a copy of the TMP novelization. Yeah, it's pretty out there. My favorite part was Kirk observing that, while he wasn't opposed to homosexuality, he had a decided preference for A) women B) lovers he could have sex with more than once every seven years

Also I took the "love instructor" to be some Roddenberry-esque reference to "first dude my mom hosed." Who, apparently, he was named for and for some reason that was okay with his dad.

Though, poo poo, it's Roddenberry. He probably genuinely meant "love instructor."

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

vermin posted:

For that matter, Ferengi probably don't eat the people they do business with

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Ferengi take consumerism very seriously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Shibawanko posted:

I hate Voyager but I've been selectively watching a few Voyager episodes just to see what it was like, I was young when it was on.

What bothers me the most about it is actually how dark it is, literally. The sets are all poorly lit and the ship looks like a ghost house, some of the episodes are oogie boogie stuff too so it all feels like fantasy horror more than scifi. I would love to visit Deep Space Nine but I would probably kill myself if I had to be stuck on this dark depressing ship with these idiot characters. Most of the species aren't cool or have some horrifying racial trait like harvesting organs or whatever.

I liked the Demon episode and Blink of an Eye because I like episodes about wonky planets.

I've seen every episode and I don't think I would recognize the bridge if I saw a picture of it, it was always dark and poorly shot vs say the D bridge which had a very distinct look and feel.