Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Grondoth posted:

The error people keep trying to point out is that people seem to have convinced themselves that everyone who doesn't live in one of like 4 american big cities is a virulent, boiling racist who's hoarding guns and is just looking for a chance to shoot someone who looks just a little different than them.

This isn't true. This is the same fiction that is peddled by the right, that every city has a teeming criminal underbelly that is just waiting to murder everyone who isn't used to seeing skyscrapers when they wake up. It's a stupid, and quite frankly, very cowardly, way of looking at the world.

I agree with this post. Keep truckin'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I live in a small American coastal city that is roughly 75% college students and run by an overwhelmingly Democratic city/state government and a whole lot of people on the Internet appear to think everyone here is racist too

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It kinda sucks that racism is both a real and extremely important problem and also the new "retard"

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

loquacius posted:

I live in a small American coastal city that is roughly 75% college students and run by an overwhelmingly Democratic city/state government and a whole lot of people on the Internet appear to think everyone here is racist too

they are cause it's a town of special snowflakes. if you want to see a gathering of non-racist people, check out wall street

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

GalacticAcid posted:

the focus on 'rural poor' as the agents of reaction is misguided anyway

problem is suburban fygm shitheads with suvs

Those people are considered "urban" anyway by the census.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

GalacticAcid posted:

absolutely the case

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

everyone is racist

cut the poo poo you racist

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Frijolero posted:

This sums up the dumb overpopulation debate that was had earlier:

no it doesn't because overpopulation is far far more than just about carbon emissions

it's also crowding, food supply, and governmental representation

we do not need more people. there is no benefit to any one individual person for there to be 3 billion more people, unless you're one of the people at the top that will get even richer by having even more sources of labor to leech from.

even with a stable global climate it's still going to be a problem

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Yglesias turning left gives me pause and makes me suspect it might be wise to race to the center

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

no it doesn't because overpopulation is far far more than just about carbon emissions

it's also crowding, food supply, and governmental representation

we do not need more people. there is no benefit to any one individual person for there to be 3 billion more people, unless you're one of the people at the top that will get even richer by having even more sources of labor to leech from.

even with a stable global climate it's still going to be a problem

source you're quotes

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

UHD posted:

everyone is racist

cut the poo poo you racist

racsexist

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
https://twitter.com/timkaine/status/884836064816398336

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

most of the land is uninhabited and we got this far using only 1/3 of the arable land with laughably bad technique used on most of it BUT LET ME TELL YOU WHY YOU SHOULDNT HAVE KIDS

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

lol

Edit: Take that back, if the GOP would like to work on single payer with the democrats that would be perfectly acceptable :kiddo:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dairy Days posted:

most of the land is uninhabited and we got this far using only 1/3 of the arable land with laughably bad technique used on most of it BUT LET ME TELL YOU WHY YOU SHOULDNT HAVE KIDS

yes it is extremely important to double our suburban sprawl just for the sake of getting a high score

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Can I anti-RT that

I want the GOP to be eternally paralyzed by infighting until we can eventually draft a single-payer bill with their stink nowhere near it

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dairy Days posted:

because forcing another being into involuntary sentience on a dying world in a crumbling society is deeply selfish and cruel?

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
The problem isn't specifically overpopulation, but sustainability of consumption and handling of waste.

We're not even close to overpopulation since there is a lot of sustainability if the population spread out more. The problem however is how it spreads and how it sets up infrastructure for sustainability and waste management.

Close in the future with more efficient LED Grow lights that can make a vertical building produce multiple times produce using the same land as it would've as a normal farm plot. They can use only a partial amount of the overall energy put into traditional farming (fuel costs, etc.) and be placed in both urban and rural areas as it's just a building. With a controlled environment yields would be bigger and labor would be less.

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

there's a big full spectrum light that turns on for free with no energy input from us every day for like 12 hours but its pretty foolish of me to expect goons to have experience with this

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Turn your monitor on and use it to grow crops

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
*A big full spectrum light turns on over my head*

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Westerners and industrialized nation-folk already have less children. So 99% of the time the overpopulation crowd is talking about brown people having less children.

Now you tell me which is more logical and less problematic:

A) Asking foreigners to have less children because "overpopulation" gives WASPs the vapors.

B) Cracking down on pollution and waste created by MNCs and industrialized nations.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
When Republicans finally accept man-made Climate Change as an existential threat their solution will be a global holocaust in the developing world.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
(TBH they'll probably get a lot of Bloomberg Democrats on board with that)

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So-called "brown people" don't produce much carbon tho

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Frijolero posted:

https://twitter.com/ayylmaoism/status/885141910066802689

:agreed:

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

call to action posted:

So-called "brown people" don't produce much carbon tho

Frijolero posted:

https://twitter.com/ayylmaoism/status/885141910066802689

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

GalacticAcid posted:

But we need their wives to win the next election :ohdear:

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

MizPiz posted:

But we need their wives to win the next election :ohdear:

A Panera Chicken, Kale & Sweet Potato Soup in every pot

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Children in rich nations are the beneficiaries of all that industrial activity though. So what if we're below replacement rate, we should be lower

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Am I a racist? :ohdear:

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

call to action posted:

Children in rich nations are the beneficiaries of all that industrial activity though. So what if we're below replacement rate, we should be lower

we absolutely cannot modify our industrial activity because:

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Dairy Days posted:

we absolutely cannot modify our industrial activity because:

Because it turns out people in rich nations are the reason that activity exists

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Eat the rich and their babies actually

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

gently caress yeah farming archologies. We're overdue for the cool parts of cyberpunk

Also brown people are also having less kids

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Frijolero posted:

Westerners and industrialized nation-folk already have less children. So 99% of the time the overpopulation crowd is talking about brown people having less children.

Now you tell me which is more logical and less problematic:

A) Asking foreigners to have less children because "overpopulation" gives WASPs the vapors.

B) Cracking down on pollution and waste created by MNCs and industrialized nations.

I already told you the problem isn't just about pollution and waste. Why are you ignoring that, and deliberately trying to make it a racial thing? Do you think people in China or India are perfectly fine with the population numbers in their countries?

More people = less effective representation in government for each individual, more people = more crowded all over the world, more people = more issues with transportation and general transit, more people = less freedom to live your way the way you want to live it.

In China, a huge portion of the population have given up on ever visiting the cool parts of their country simply because there's already so many tourists (Chinese and foreign) there that the experience is miserable and not even really representative. And it doesn't even register that so many people have given up because there's enough that are willing to stick it out that they still get swarmed all the time. Double the population of North America, do you think that won't have any impact on being able to travel to places like Yellowstone and enjoy the natural beauty of the planet we live on? Either the places get ruined by the sheer amount of people there, or they become increasingly expensive to visit in an attempt to try to control attendance.

You think you're already powerless and voiceless in government? That's not going to get any better if you have to compete with twice as many people. Even in a more equal system the more people there are the more expendable any one individual person becomes, that's an unfortunate fundamental.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The casus belli for war against China in 20 years will be old school sinophobia mixed with "Well actually they're the ones causing climate change with their over-breeding and over-polluting."

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

call to action posted:

Because it turns out people in rich nations are the reason that activity exists

mostly the ultrarich probably. you know they have bigger boats to carry around their lovely playboats? and garages with hundreds of cars they never use?

not to say the average american couldn't do better in resource consumption, but i bet if you actually looked at the real resource consumption of the ultra-wealthy they'd be near the top reasons for climate change today

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

And what's your solution besides "Can all y'all please have less children? :hitler:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

*gazes upon beautiful acres upon acres marshland*

Well, that was nice. Pave it over, boys! Gotta chase that high score, I'll be damned if the boomers get to keep it

• Locked thread