Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

SwissDonkey posted:

uhhhhhhh hold up let me quote all your poo poo from the entire vidya thread mr notautistic

By all means, guy who came into the thread to dunk on nerds already tired of the topic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

Action Tortoise posted:

By all means, guy who came into the thread to dunk on nerds already tired of the topic

"By all means let me dunk into all 692 pages of the thread in which you have dived headfirst into the most inane loving arguments possible to dig up dirt on you" - someone who cares

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

SwissDonkey posted:

"By all means let me dunk into all 692 pages of the thread in which you have dived headfirst into the most inane loving arguments possible to dig up dirt on you" - someone who cares

If people like you stopped posting the dumbest poo poo here I wouldn't have to.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So Project X Zone 2 is a turn based strategy rpg trash sequel to a trash game, so obviously its not going to be good. The little thing it does that drives me crazy is every mission it shuffles your units and the partners assigned to them as well as who is selected to go into the battle, so the start for most missions is to replace everything back to how you had it at the end of the previous mission.

To make it more annoying it eventually starts forcing you to use specific units for specific missions and if they die you instant game over so if you werent using them prior and gearing them up and keeping them leveled you can with get trapped in a bossfight with them you have no hope of winning. Weirdly though only 5 of the 19 units have to do this with no real rhyme or reason, so hope you liked some of them.

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

Triggered Tortoise posted:

If people like you stopped posting the dumbest poo poo here I wouldn't have to.
Does... does this make you proud of yourself? :saddowns:

edit: I mean cool bro you created a thread with a semi interesting topic that is based purely on content other people post, don't puff yourself up like a blowfish, you might hurt yourself

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

SwissDonkey posted:

Does... does this make you proud of yourself? :saddowns:

You had to play the triggered autism card because you had nothing substantial to say back. This parting shot nonsense is childish and I'm already embarrassed at my level of engagement with you.

Post a game complaint or don't post at all.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
When I play Mario party for too long I get a big blister in the middle of my hand

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Action Tortoise posted:

You had to play the triggered autism card because you had nothing substantial to say back. This parting shot nonsense is childish and I'm already embarrassed at my level of engagement with you.

Dude, please stop replying to him, it fuels his autistic rage.

Barudak posted:

To make it more annoying it eventually starts forcing you to use specific units for specific missions and if they die you instant game over so if you werent using them prior and gearing them up and keeping them leveled you can with get trapped in a bossfight with them you have no hope of winning. Weirdly though only 5 of the 19 units have to do this with no real rhyme or reason, so hope you liked some of them.

Games that force you to use certain party members in specific fights can gently caress off, especially when they're party members most people might not give a poo poo about.

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

Action Tortoise posted:

PYF dragging this game down:

Yakuza 0 doesn't have english dubs, but that might be for the best because the Japanese VA and facial models are actually film and TV actors. It's still annoying sitting a healthy distance from the TV and reading reasonably small subs.

Oh look, I made a quality post but you're still autistic, sorry bro couldn't fix it

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
And the never-ending cycle of the PYF thing dragging this game down thread continues. Into the toilet.

By the way, :darksouls:

That aside, as much as I'm loving the hell out of Mad Max, there's two things bugging me:

One, he gets bloodied up during fighting. While this is really cool, for some bizarre reason he gets this big patch of blood on his lower back that sticks around and never goes away. Sounds like it's a common bug, but it's still annoying.

Second, while you can use the screenshot/video capture mode to play the game in really cool looking high contrast black and white (like the Black and Chrome edition of Fury Road), you can't play it that way with the UI enabled. :saddowns:

Dewgy has a new favorite as of 17:30 on Jul 12, 2017

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

im going to suck someone's dick

Now this thread is going somewhere! Like the gas chamber.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

SwissDonkey posted:

PYF dragging this game down:

Yakuza 0 doesn't have english dubs, but that might be for the best because the Japanese VA and facial models are actually film and TV actors. It's still annoying sitting a healthy distance from the TV and reading reasonably small subs.

Oh look, I made a quality post but you're still autistic, sorry bro couldn't fix it

Playing Motorsport manager on my phone drains my battery too quick

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Playing Motorsport manager on my phone drains my battery too quick

gently caress, this happens with farmville too you got a fix?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Morpheus posted:

Games that force you to use certain party members in specific fights can gently caress off, especially when they're party members most people might not give a poo poo about.

FF6 had moments where you were supposed to pick certain party members but they never felt unbearable. Actually they're my standout moment of the game because they were pretty experimental. Locke had a pseudo stealth section and the extra party members they gave you during those moments like Bannon or the Moogles were pretty useful.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Digital Devil Saga was literally the worst for this. gently caress that game.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Oh god that's gonna be a hard one to replay.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Len posted:

Thanks press turn system, which is designed to swing extremely hard if your not optimized for it. It was unbelievably egregious in SMTIV where if the game assigned you Walter as your partner during the Minotaur fight you were better off quitting and reloading immediately.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Sleeping Dogs

I like the general premise of the undercover cop John Woo style hong kong crime drama, but since the game is less sandboxy compared to GTA and Saints Row games I'd expect there'd be more of a hook in the story for you to feel more involved with the main character. It's a shame because the voice acting is really good throughout, but there's no motivation for Wei to continue this incredibly dangerous undercover cop thing as the whole HKPD keeps making GBS threads on him. If it was more like Fallout 4 where they take your baby and Wei would have to rise through the ranks to find out the baby is now grown up and the head of the triads I'd like it a lot more.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Just came to post about Sleeping Dogs actually. I feel Wei actually does have a really good hook that he starts off with because he wants revenge against the Sun On Yee since he blames them for his sisters death but as he becomes more involved and rises through the ranks the Sun On Yee gradually begin to fill the role of family that is left open after his mother's and sister's death making his true loyalties begin to blur which brings me to my big problem with the game which is that the endgame should have branched and let you decide whether to stay true to the mission of bringing down the Sun On Yee or turn your back on the HKPD because the gang is your real family now. With all the talk about shifting loyalties and family and Wei's hidden sociopathic streak I really think that internal conflict should have been the game's main focus rather than that weak conspiracy bullshit that wraps up in 5 minutes and forces me to be a cop even if I think Wei's gone too far over the edge.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
One of my little grievances with Sleeping Dogs is that at the end, Wei is broken and hosed up for a while, having been tortured and such, stumbling and lurching just to stay upright. But, give him a few minutes and a cutscene and he's leaping over tables, running and martial-artsing all over the place like usual.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Morpheus posted:

One of my little grievances with Sleeping Dogs is that at the end, Wei is broken and hosed up for a while, having been tortured and such, stumbling and lurching just to stay upright. But, give him a few minutes and a cutscene and he's leaping over tables, running and martial-artsing all over the place like usual.

It's rare that moments like that put me off, but it was one of them.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The New Order was cute with that. BJ was demonstrably immune to stab wounds in both gameplay and cutscenes. There's an especially brilliant moment where one Nazi sticks a knife in him, and gets the best :stonk: expression as he rapidly comes to realize he's done nothing more than bring himself into range of the guy's fists.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I'm enjoying Hollow Knight so far, but the mechanic where you hit something and get pushed back is making me like it a lot less. Makes the platforming part a lot more difficult, but not in a fun way.

I'm holding out for an upgrade that does something about that.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Action Tortoise posted:

They know people will buy whatever they sell, regardless of quality because they're a known brand at this point

Yes, they are a known brand: specifically, Bethesda games have a history of making games they like, and will continue to do so. After all, they've made two Fallout games that they really liked, so there's not much stopping them from buying the next one.

To elaborate, if you're a normal mainstream gamer, why would you ever need to listen to a reviewer when it comes to Bethesda games? You've likely played one or more of their games, know how and what they do, and you're either in (which you probably are, you don't get to be Bethesda if you didn't know what your audience wants and doesn't care for) or you're not.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 20:12 on Jul 12, 2017

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I really wish Just Cause 3 was optimized better. I'm running it with a 1080 TI and even then sometimes the FPS drops to 30.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I wish manager games weren't quite so hard to get into. I've been flailing at both TEW and FM17 and going mostly nowhere. TEW is a little easier since I know wrestling but dammit, I just want to lead people to awesome poo poo :saddowns:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Vic posted:

Sleeping Dogs

I like the general premise of the undercover cop John Woo style hong kong crime drama, but since the game is less sandboxy compared to GTA and Saints Row games I'd expect there'd be more of a hook in the story for you to feel more involved with the main character. It's a shame because the voice acting is really good throughout, but there's no motivation for Wei to continue this incredibly dangerous undercover cop thing as the whole HKPD keeps making GBS threads on him. If it was more like Fallout 4 where they take your baby and Wei would have to rise through the ranks to find out the baby is now grown up and the head of the triads I'd like it a lot more.

A big problem with Sleeping Dogs' story is that at times it feels like you're playing an abridged version of the story. After doing like two crimes all of a sudden you're Winston's right hand man. The game really needed to switch out the cop side activities with some crime related ones so it feels like you're actually running around actively being in the gang.

Although the biggest problem with the story was the reveal of the end bad guy. It kind of lacks any kind of oomph because he had only shown up a couple of times before.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I really like Mario tennis on gameboy. It's a fun sports game, and I like that stats can drop when you put points elsewhere, so it's very hard to get a maxed out character. The thing dragging it down is the silver/gold racket challenge. To get the silver you have to hit a and b 100 times in ten seconds, to get the gold ir's 150 times. But you only get one chance, so if you get 149 you get the silver racket, and can't get the gold. I guess some randomised tournaments would've been fun, too against random palette/stat opponents.

The advance version was kind of ruined by power shots. By the end game your super lava powered offence shot can normally easily be stopped by an opponent. They basically are best used as a defensive tool against an opponent's power shot.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

ilmucche posted:

When I play Mario party for too long I get a big blister in the middle of my hand

You're not playing the original Mario Party are you? Please don't it is literally hazardous. Nintendo even gave out protective gloves for free for everyone who had proof they bought the game.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

rodbeard posted:

You're not playing the original Mario Party are you? Please don't it is literally hazardous. Nintendo even gave out protective gloves for free for everyone who had proof they bought the game.

I wish I'd had one of those gloves. I'll never forget the horrible nasty blister I got. I think I can still see where it was on my palm.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Grey Fox posted:

I'm enjoying Hollow Knight so far, but the mechanic where you hit something and get pushed back is making me like it a lot less. Makes the platforming part a lot more difficult, but not in a fun way.

I'm holding out for an upgrade that does something about that.

There is one.

There really loving shouldn't need to be one.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

rodbeard posted:

The Mario Party stigmata was very real, I and a handful of people I know can say this for certain.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

moosecow333 posted:

I really wish Just Cause 3 was optimized better. I'm running it with a 1080 TI and even then sometimes the FPS drops to 30.

My dude, just be happy you aren't on a console. I made the mistake of buying the game for my PS4 and if I got 30 FPS I was thinking "holy poo poo this is silky smooth".

Content, I've gotten part way through No One Lives Forever 2 and it's great, but the walking speed is incredibly slow, especially for a game in which you sometimes need to backtrack. It had a snowmobile section too that I wasn't crazy fond of either.

In the very least, the stealth is actually not horrible like in the first game. It's not great, but it's playable!

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

ShootaBoy posted:

I wish manager games weren't quite so hard to get into. I've been flailing at both TEW and FM17 and going mostly nowhere. TEW is a little easier since I know wrestling but dammit, I just want to lead people to awesome poo poo :saddowns:

NBA2k has some of the best general manager modes IMO. Maybe it's a little harder to get into if you don't follow the NBA but it never feels unfair unless you get hosed by injuries (gently caress injuries)

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Strom Cuzewon posted:

There is one.

There really loving shouldn't need to be one.

The only charm that really feels this way to me is the map-positioning one. Everything else alters gameplay, this one is just "are you good at recognising where you are or do you need a help", and while some areas of the game have varied environments where this is reasonable, some of the same-ier or more labyrinthine areas make it really difficult when you're trying to fill out the map and look for secrets.

Also, 'knockback on hitting something' is a thing because you use it to pogo, not just on spiked but also on enemies, and I guess there are some times where you might want to horizontally pogo an enemy for an extra dash or something?
I do know there's some coding in that Charm so that even with it equipped you can still pogo vertically.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I dunno, I liked the knockback in Hollow Knight. Made it seem like blows meant something, and it wasn't super hard to get used to.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Len posted:

Was it? It's been a while, but you were only ever really forced to use the main character. Your party was just limited to who you could use for like half the game. Which kind of sucked because by the time you got the last party member, everyone else had a bunch of skills and stuff so you never wanted to use him. And that was before you realized he had a weakness to loving status effects of all things. Joke's on you though because that idiot was the secret weapon to beating the bonus boss!

The sequel had a bunch of really annoying moments though. Like the part where one of your party members becomes a villain, and like a quarter of the way through a new guy shows up that gets his stats but doesn't have the same elemental alignment so it's weird. Or the part where the main character gets captured for a bit so you don't have your strongest party member during a really hard bit.

Barudak posted:

Thanks press turn system, which is designed to swing extremely hard if your not optimized for it. It was unbelievably egregious in SMTIV where if the game assigned you Walter as your partner during the Minotaur fight you were better off quitting and reloading immediately.

DDS let you cheese it super hard though by just learning to nullify your weaknesses. There was like one boss in each game that was a test of whether or not you knew how the system worked and they would road block so many people.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I didn't have a lot of trouble with the knockback in Hollow Knight, a lot of times it's kind of a nice help to get out of the way of the enemy attacking you right back.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I got the FFX/FFX-2 Remaster on Steam - and I actually love it. I like it more than when FFX first came out. A lot of the minor gripes just don't seem so important any more. Tidus still looks like an idiot designed him - like a complete idiot. But his character makes sense and isn't all that awful.

BUT...

When you talk to cats...

they. don't. meow.

I thought we had this figured out in SNES days, I mean jfc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

ilmucche posted:

I really like Mario tennis on gameboy. It's a fun sports game, and I like that stats can drop when you put points elsewhere, so it's very hard to get a maxed out character. The thing dragging it down is the silver/gold racket challenge. To get the silver you have to hit a and b 100 times in ten seconds, to get the gold ir's 150 times. But you only get one chance, so if you get 149 you get the silver racket, and can't get the gold. I guess some randomised tournaments would've been fun, too against random palette/stat opponents.

The advance version was kind of ruined by power shots. By the end game your super lava powered offence shot can normally easily be stopped by an opponent. They basically are best used as a defensive tool against an opponent's power shot.
I'm pissed they dropped the whole handheld RPG Sports Tennis/Golf in the DS and 3DS era.
Power Tennis is meh.
World Tour Golf on 3DS isn't too bad but it's mostly just Challenges, or the weird online play meta.