Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Gonna be painfully easy to rob a big rig with 4 cars to slow it down if theres no driver in the truck.

Bonus if the truck hits you while trying to slow it down, now you have a lawsuit, its a win win for highway bandits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

JB50 posted:

Gonna be painfully easy to rob a big rig with 4 cars to slow it down if theres no driver in the truck.

Bonus if the truck hits you while trying to slow it down, now you have a lawsuit, its a win win for highway bandits.

dont forget neon underlighting and stuff, very important.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Theft is not going to be a huge deal compared to potential savings. By automating the truck you take out the element of the drivers themselves doing it (though to be fair that's already largely accomplished today via GPS) and the risk of it happening at a truck stop (most likely place for a truck robbery). Lock the truck, put up some security cameras, and insure the load - that should be good enough. Particularly expensive cargo might justify a person in the cab, otherwise not so much.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Some guy at Walmart HQ can monitor a few dozen trucks. Something strange comes up and they can dispatch repair / police or set up a detour.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Baronjutter posted:

*masked bandits approach a dark highway in the middle of the night armed only with bags of salt*
*magical shapes are drawn with the salt on the road, this spell results in the truck slowing down and pulling over into a designated location and being easily cleaned out*

A modern day circle of salt, I love it

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Baronjutter posted:

Will he still be drugged out of his mind and operating on 3 hours of sleep?
Yes and no. They'll still be loaded to the gills with drugs, only they'll substitute opiates for amphetamines. Or, well, the next generation will in any case.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Azathoth posted:

Yes and no. They'll still be loaded to the gills with drugs, only they'll substitute opiates for amphetamines. Or, well, the next generation will in any case.

enjoy having a golfball sized prostate and wishing to piss then i guess :shrug:

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/DDiNTLU.gifv

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

No hard hat, no high vis jacket, no safety harness, and that probably isn't even the right tool to repair that camera with. This is all wrong.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Autonomous trucks will never take off because the business model of on-rubber transport industry is entirely based on (figuratively and sometimes literally) cutting corners and taking ridiculous risks and robots can't do that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

*masked bandits approach a dark highway in the middle of the night armed only with bags of salt*
*magical shapes are drawn with the salt on the road, this spell results in the truck slowing down and pulling over into a designated location and being easily cleaned out*

This makes me think of a Fast & Furious movie where the bad guys are transporting goods in an automated truck that looks for white lines to determine the lanes to follow, and Vin Diesel and The Rock rig up their cars with paint sprayers to drive ahead of it and force it off the road by creating a new lane for it to follow.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Those auto signature/ handwriting machines are used all the time in junk mail and sometimes they trick you by doing something clever like using real stamps instead of using the presorted system.

There is one thing they have not yet been able to simulate and probably never will since it would cause a lot of wear on the machines and that is the fact that the machines write at one single pressure .

If you write something, then pen will be darker/lighter in some places or create physical depressions into the paper.

If you look at something done by a robot, they write wonderful characters but the ink will be even in density through out the entire message.

They can't create functionally to start emulating pressing into the paper because that would ruin the pens they use and can cause the motors to burn out quicker if it jams into the paper. That's a risk they do not want to take on a 10k machine unless the costs drops super down.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

booty booty booty booty rockin' everywhere

rockin' everywhere

rockin' everywhere

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

Autonomous trucks will never take off because the business model of on-rubber transport industry is entirely based on (figuratively and sometimes literally) cutting corners and taking ridiculous risks and robots can't do that.

The biggest of both of those is driver on-duty time though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

The biggest of both of those is driver on-duty time though.

Actually you're right, kind of. The biggest by far is completely road-illegal Russian trucks. Then comes on-duty time. Neither of which are things a robot driver will know or care about.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

MisterOblivious posted:

I never, ever grew tired of listening to dudebros bottom out their cars speeding over the dip in the road right outside my window. It was close enough to both stop signs that'd I got to hear them rev up their shitbox ricers from both directions then crunch scrape crunch scrape as they bounced over it. https://www.google.com/maps/@44.7763489,-93.3297856,3a,75y,208.03h,66.22t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sA7STSjlzVS47wNoVoigE3w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The road is literally divided along the county line and neither county wants to deal with fixing it. It hasn't changed at all in the decade since I've moved away. IIRC the counties once joined forces to install the Dip signs on each side of the road while I lived there, and have done absolutely nothing at all since then.

if you look at the aerial view, it's been fixed and the entire road repaved.

RIP dip :(

edit: whoops, i'm kinda late with that post

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
So back in April, 250+ people died in landslides after heavy rains. This video claims to show the beginning of the landslides/flooding event.

I'm certain people die in this video, though you don't really directly see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_m1lro774I

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Baronjutter posted:

Will he still be drugged out of his mind and operating on 3 hours of sleep?

For a second I thought you were talking about the AI, then I began to wonder what their drugs would be like.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Zil posted:

For a second I thought you were talking about the AI, then I began to wonder what their drugs would be like.

Now I'm thinking of the part of Stealth where the lightning strike makes the AI evil, and the first sign is it pirating a shitload of songs.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Zil posted:

Do androids hallucinate electric sheep?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

EVIL Gibson posted:

Those auto signature/ handwriting machines are used all the time in junk mail and sometimes they trick you by doing something clever like using real stamps instead of using the presorted system.

There is one thing they have not yet been able to simulate and probably never will since it would cause a lot of wear on the machines and that is the fact that the machines write at one single pressure .

If you write something, then pen will be darker/lighter in some places or create physical depressions into the paper.

If you look at something done by a robot, they write wonderful characters but the ink will be even in density through out the entire message.

They can't create functionally to start emulating pressing into the paper because that would ruin the pens they use and can cause the motors to burn out quicker if it jams into the paper. That's a risk they do not want to take on a 10k machine unless the costs drops super down.

Use a plotter with a fountain pen and now you have an excuse for the lack of pressure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGdFPetArAI&t=25s

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

There was an episode of The Next Generation where the crew had an idea to implant a geometrically impossible shape into a Borg's databanks, and when the hive tried to scan it they would all shutdown (they didn't go through with the plan for ethical reasons). Maybe something like that wouldn't shut an AI down but instead be like acid is for us. Don't people say they see poo poo like that when they do acid?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jerry Cotton posted:

They don't have to because their regular behavior can be risky human behavior. A robot truck can drive until its gas tank empties and get right back to driving once it's full, and won't get tired and drive through a truck stop window.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Humerus posted:

There was an episode of The Next Generation where the crew had an idea to implant a geometrically impossible shape into a Borg's databanks, and when the hive tried to scan it they would all shutdown (they didn't go through with the plan for ethical reasons). Maybe something like that wouldn't shut an AI down but instead be like acid is for us. Don't people say they see poo poo like that when they do acid?

Yeah, the short fan story where Picard decided to install Windows 95 on the Borg hivemind and the Borg got stuck playing MS Solitaire was based off that.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Humerus posted:

Sounds more like DMT than acid. At least the acid I've had is more experiencing geometric visuals and fractals in your surroundings, not full blown hallucinations.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Humerus posted:

I always figured the queen was there to resolve feedback loops like that. And gently caress Data, I guess.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Well, at least they made an effort:

(To be fair, Albertsons sold the store 20 or so years ago, the key may not even exist anymore.)

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jul 13, 2017

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Quote /= edit, oopsie.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

EVIL Gibson posted:

What some people who professionally paint models (which is harder than one would think) or people trying to protect their investment started doing is get a hard case built for handguns, put a BB guns inside the case along with whatever they don't want to be hosed with and declare the bag as having a firearm. These go though a different process where opening the bag is more careful and not as done as frequently since a lost gun is something the tsa does not want to see.

This is from pages ago I know but I absolutely adore this talk (now whether or not it works international idunno but...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfqtYfaILHw

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://zippy.gfycat.com/WildMiserlyArmadillo.webm

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That doesnt seem very safe

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
I hope he wore his PPE later on :wink:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Synthbuttrange posted:

That doesnt seem very safe

Yeah, she almost exposed herself. She should be wearing something with sleeves to stop that.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I don't think OSHA inspects for non PPE wardrobe malfunction.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

DiHK posted:

I don't think OSHA inspects for non PPE wardrobe malfunction.

That's handled by a different branch.

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Is it electrical, plumbing, excavating or drain cleaning?

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

SelenicMartian posted:

Is it electrical, plumbing, excavating or drain cleaning?

I don't know ... but I Lovett!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Service is actually Unavailable

E:
https://i.imgur.com/a6t54F4.mp4

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010