Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

As long as the actors work well together, their sex means nothing to me
'Course, the writing plays a factor in that and I hope it's on par with Series 10's scripts
A tall order, but I can dream, dammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Recent comment from Rachel Talalay - who is directing the Christmas episode - is that she doesn't know who the next Doctor is.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

If the doctor is always a white man, then that limits the pool of talent to draw from for future doctors.

Unless there is a push to break new ground with a minority or woman doctor, there won't ever be one. The first is necessarily going to be a bold choice and a big deal, and if you're casting this stuff with the only goal of getting 'the best actor,' a pointless risk.

So even if you just want "the best actor" and don't care about the social implications it's better in the long run to push for more diversity now, even just for the sake of diversity in the moment, to increase the number of actors who 'feel' like the doctor to future generations.

That said, if you don't care about the social implications you've got a really weird set of priorities.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Wheat Loaf posted:

Recent comment from Rachel Talalay - who is directing the Christmas episode - is that she doesn't know who the next Doctor is.

No regeneration filmed = another season of Capaldi! :toot:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor posted:

No regeneration filmed = another season of Capaldi! :toot:

Man, maybe they really are trying to keep it secret til Christmas?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Eiba posted:

If the doctor is always a white man, then that limits the pool of talent to draw from for future doctors.

Unless there is a push to break new ground with a minority or woman doctor, there won't ever be one. The first is necessarily going to be a bold choice and a big deal, and if you're casting this stuff with the only goal of getting 'the best actor,' a pointless risk.

So even if you just want "the best actor" and don't care about the social implications it's better in the long run to push for more diversity now, even just for the sake of diversity in the moment, to increase the number of actors who 'feel' like the doctor to future generations.

That said, if you don't care about the social implications you've got a really weird set of priorities.

Yeah but if the Doctor isn't a white man, the few bigots who stuck through all the gay people and eThNiC companions would stop watching.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

jivjov posted:

It's gonna be such a disappointment if after all the secrecy and buildup, it's just another youngish handsome-esque white dude they want to be the next Tennant.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

jivjov posted:

I wonder what threat they're hanging over people's heads to keep it on the down-low

"If it's leaked, we'll replace every episode of Series 11 with Love and Monsters, The Twin Dilemma, Cyberwoman, and the Star Wars Holiday Special."
"Wait, what was that last one?"
"YOU HEARD ME."

Or

"We'll make Peter Harness the showrunner."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Planet of the Dead has Daniel Kaluuya in it :stare: Talk about a waste of talent!

Which now makes me wish we could see him as the Doctor. He's got the whimsical charm, he could nail that haunted "older than he looks and has seen some stuff" vibe, and if his monologue toward the end of Fifteen Million Merits is any indication, he can definitely nail all of the emotional speechifying the Doctor tends to do.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It's not news to anyone in this thread, I'm sure, and it's not even news to me since this was my third time listening to it...

But Spare Parts is so drat good.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

jivjov posted:

Chibnall isn't planning to begin shooting until early next year (last I read they were looking to do an autumn release so as to not run into something like the World Cup), so ... hot drat, that would be the mother of all surprises. And they wrapped the special yesterday, so...

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

For what it's worth, Russell T. Davies has said that he already knows who's playing the next Doctor, but I guess it's theoretically possible that he's in a small enough circle of people in the know that they could keep it under wraps.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Big Mean Jerk posted:

And people wonder why I still buy physical media

From two threads ago, but I had fun making it, so...

And I just found out I posted that on my birthday! :toot:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

After The War posted:

And I just found out I posted that on my birthday! :toot:

Happy birthday whatever day it was you posted back then that one time!

Man this would be a lot easier if I was the Doctor....

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Actually, that sounds pretty much like what the Doctor would say.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Jerusalem posted:

Man this would be a lot easier if I was the Doctor....

Thank you! And for the record, that's not an accurate representation of my DVD collection. I don't have every Adric episode! I'm missing... um... Time-Flight! That counts, right?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

After The War posted:

Thank you! And for the record, that's not an accurate representation of my DVD collection. I don't have every Adric episode! I'm missing... um... Time-Flight! That counts, right?

As someone who owns Time-Flight, I can safely say it does not count one bit.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I started collecting DVDs for classic Who, but there's this tiny, irritating problem with physical media that I just can't get past: it costs money. :v:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

As someone who owns Time-Flight, I can safely say it does not count one bit.

As somebody else who also owns Time Flight, I'd like to say.... :negative:

Well at least it's got the Master being a huge dick for no reason while wearing a costume that fools absolutely nobody before taking it off to reveal to the surprise of nobody that it was a disguise :shobon:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm going to just leave this here without reason or context because it makes me happy in a show that otherwise does not make me happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCUk-XaH6pQ

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Jerusalem posted:

As somebody else who also owns Time Flight, I'd like to say.... :negative:

Well at least it's got the Master being a huge dick for no reason while wearing a costume that fools absolutely nobody before taking it off to reveal to the surprise of nobody that it was a disguise :shobon:

I was getting serious deja vu during World Enough and Time, and I really hope his ridiculous disguise and accent was Moffat's sly homage to Time-Flight.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I just totted up and realised I'm about ~£50 from completing my classic Who on DVD run. :stare:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

Planet of the Dead has Daniel Kaluuya in it :stare: Talk about a waste of talent!

Which now makes me wish we could see him as the Doctor. He's got the whimsical charm, he could nail that haunted "older than he looks and has seen some stuff" vibe, and if his monologue toward the end of Fifteen Million Merits is any indication, he can definitely nail all of the emotional speechifying the Doctor tends to do.

With Reggie Yates getting older and Ukweli Roach off working in America, he's one of the guys I'd be keen to see playing Peter Grant if and when that Rivers of London adaptation ever gets a move on.

The_Doctor posted:

I just totted up and realised I'm about ~£50 from completing my classic Who on DVD run. :stare:

I don't think I have a complete classic Doctor run on DVD. The closest is McCoy, because the one I don't own is, erm, "Time and the Rani".

I think I have all the Colin Bakers that aren't Trial of a Time Lord, since that only comes in a box set.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

With Reggie Yates getting older and Ukweli Roach off working in America, he's one of the guys I'd be keen to see playing Peter Grant if and when that Rivers of London adaptation ever gets a move on.

Out of those, Ukweli Roach fits closer to my head version. Plus Kaluuya is off in the US too now. Black Panther, Get Out, etc.

Also acceptable:

- Daniel 'Clyde Langer' Anthony from Sarah Jane Adventures
- Samuel 'Danny Pink' Anderson
- Alfie 'grandson of Ian Chesterton' Enoch

McGann is Nightingale through and through. :colbert:

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Bringing back Danny Pink as the Doctor would be lovely and ironic. But that's a decidedly Moffat idea, so it won't happen.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

Out of those, Ukweli Roach fits closer to my head version. Plus Kaluuya is off in the US too now. Black Panther, Get Out, etc.

I knew Roach had done Blindspot. I have no loving idea how I forgot that Kaluuya was in Get Out.

quote:

McGann is Nightingale through and through. :colbert:

Aaronovitch's first choice, I believe.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I knew Roach had done Blindspot. I have no loving idea how I forgot that Kaluuya was in Get Out.

Yeah, Tealeaf has done well for himself.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In any event, if they are going to cast a non-white Doctor, perhaps they should choose a British Asian actor, because I have heard that Britons of Asian (and particularly south Asian) descent constitute the largest proportion of BAME Britons but are (according to an article I read which explained why Citizen Khan is so popular despite its sometimes dubious comedic value) proportionately even more poorly-represented on television in the UK than black Britons (feel free to dispute this because I did not seek further sources).

It is a shame Ace Bhatti isn't younger.

And Naveen Andrews.

Raza Jaffrey would be good.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

In any event, if they are going to cast a non-white Doctor, perhaps they should choose a British Asian actor, because I have heard that Britons of Asian (and particularly south Asian) descent constitute the largest proportion of BAME Britons but are (according to an article I read which explained why Citizen Khan is so popular despite its sometimes dubious comedic value) proportionately even more poorly-represented on television in the UK than black Britons (feel free to dispute this because I did not seek further sources).

It is a shame Ace Bhatti isn't younger.

And Naveen Andrews.

Raza Jaffrey would be good.

I'd really like to see Sacha Dhawan do it. He's got form and was even Waris Hussein briefly.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If there is one thing the doctor won't be it's Asian. If they poo poo canned Capaldi because he's not attracting the young girls then they won't want to dint the ratings by hiring an Asian actor no matter how pretty he is.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Wheat Loaf posted:

The problem I've got is having listened to the audio books I can't separate Kobna Holdbrook-Smith from Peter, and he's probably a bit too old.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

I really hope that's the final bribe for a government worker in Africa to hand you over a copy of The Massacre of St Bartholomew's Eve...

docbeard posted:

It's not news to anyone in this thread, I'm sure, and it's not even news to me since this was my third time listening to it...

But Spare Parts is so drat good.

Not an empty quote! I'm still torn between which is the better Cyberman story - Spare Parts or Tomb of the Cybermen. I would have loved Parts if only for one of my favorite Five lines.

quote:

You brought a CYBERMAT into MY TARDIS?!?

It's the closest he's ever come to calling Nyssa an idiot.

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jul 13, 2017

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Plavski posted:

Bringing back Danny Pink as the Doctor would be lovely and ironic. But that's a decidedly Moffat idea, so it won't happen.

I don't think this is likely, but if I try to think out what sort of Doctor reveal they could have that warrants this level of secrecy while also being totally worth it, this is a pretty big one. He would make an amazing Doctor, too, I could see him being very Eccleston in some really fun ways.

The worst part about all this Doctor casting speculation is that it's just going to leave us all disappointed. It's like how horror movies are at their scariest before the monster appears, because your brain knows what will scare you; you know better than anyone else what kind of Doctor you want to see.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cleretic posted:

I don't think this is likely, but if I try to think out what sort of Doctor reveal they could have that warrants this level of secrecy while also being totally worth it, this is a pretty big one.

Idris Elba will be the new Doctor. Also Peter Capaldi is staying on ALSO playing the Doctor. Both of the Doctors are going to be very confused but just muddle their way through the situation as best they can.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Cleretic posted:

I don't think this is likely, but if I try to think out what sort of Doctor reveal they could have that warrants this level of secrecy while also being totally worth it, this is a pretty big one. He would make an amazing Doctor, too, I could see him being very Eccleston in some really fun ways.

The worst part about all this Doctor casting speculation is that it's just going to leave us all disappointed. It's like how horror movies are at their scariest before the monster appears, because your brain knows what will scare you; you know better than anyone else what kind of Doctor you want to see.

I wasn't disappointed by the casting of Peter Capaldi :shrug:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Plavski posted:

I wasn't disappointed by the casting of Peter Capaldi :shrug:

I remember when all the speculation was going on at the time, somebody posted something akin to,"Word going around is that it could be Peter Capaldi" and in a rare demonstration of almost having a shared opinion in this thread, most everybody's reaction was,"Well.... that would be loving great!"

And it turns out it was :)

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CobiWann posted:

Not an empty quote! I'm still torn between which is the better Cyberman story - Spare Parts or Tomb of the Cybermen. I would have loved Parts if only for one of my favorite Five lines.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45d8kn5hApg

Also, Idris Elba can't be the Doctor because he's needed to be James Bond. :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

TinTower posted:

Also, Idris Elba can't be the Doctor because he's needed to be James Bond. :colbert:

So it's agreed and 100% confirmed, Idris Elba will be cast as both the Doctor AND James Bond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Could you imagine running a malware/spyware check on the TARDIS? The Time Lords are the most advanced civilization in the universe but you know they have clickbaiters and spammers trying to take advantage.

• Locked thread