Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

StriderVM posted:

I remember playing this game semiconsistently from release and then quit after a few months after that........

While waiting for downtime waiting for NRG refilling in Brave Exvius, I have decided to play this game again.

However I am only planning to play this game casually. Here my current party setup :

https://www.ffrkcentral.com/profile/GvrW

Anyway, if my goal is to just finish all the realms, what is the fastest way to get stronger in the game currently? I just want to finish all the realms if possible. I'm currently stuck not being able to finish any difficulty beyond 70 I think?

Ways to get stronger:

- Pull for items. Every time you get to 50 mythril, pull on a banner. Alternatively, do so when there's a 25 mythril Lucky Draw. Important thing is to always pull 11 items at a time, because this guarantees at least one 5* item. This way you get soul breaks on dudes, and then focus on using dudes with soul breaks. Alternatively doing $1 pulls on new event banners is probably the most money efficient way to spend cash on the game, though that does not guarantee the 5* items (only about a 14% chance)
- Never skip sundaily (and maybe tuesdaily). Get that sweet EXP.
- Do other dailies when you can, to get orbs to hone skills. The more uses the better. Aim for rank 4+ for 3* skills, rank 3 for 4* skills and rank 2-3 for 5* skills.

I also gave someone else a little bit advice regarding gameplay on higher difficulties. It migh be a helpful read:

Attestant posted:

140+ is where the real meat of the game really starts.

Firstly, don't worry about level 99 stuff. That is in no way a requirement for advancing at this stage. Health from having higher levels is nice, but the bulk of your stats will still come from gear. The level cap of 80 is pretty comfortable to use even in Diff 200+ content. Secondly, soul breaks are king in this game. Always be using the characters you have with the best soul breaks, especially Burst Soul Breaks, Ultra Soul Breaks and Overflow Soul breaks. Everything else (currently even most 1-5* abilities) are secondary to having a balanced party all equipped with good soul breaks.

That being said, there are non-Soul Break things you need to be doing to progress in to harder content.

1) Have a balanced party: The recommended basic setup is 1 healer, 1 support (stat debuffer) and then three characters that focus on dealing damage. This is no way set in stone, but it's the basics to start out with. You will hit a wall eventually, if you neglect heals and debuffs. This leads to...

2) Have multiple ways to mitigate damage: FFRK endgame is all about reducing enemy damage enough, that you can actually survive the barrage of damage that bosses that can throw at you. At a base level this means having a White Mage or Bard apply Shellga and/or Protectga on the entire party, using a Support to debuff enemy Attack or Magic with Breakdowns (the 4* support skills) and Full Break (5* support skill), and further debuff stats with soul breaks. You can stack debuffs, as long as they don't affect the exact same stats. So two different skills that do -Atk and -Atk would no stack, but a -Atk and a -Atk/-Mag would. You can keep throwing debuffs on a boss as long as all the stat combinations remain unique. On top of that, you can use a Roaming Warrior to summon Tyro's (protagonist) Sentinel Grimoire, or Y'shtola's Stoneskin II. The buff your Def & Rest by 200%, and are a huge boon in survivability.

Just keep in mind that almost all buffs and debuffs eventually run out, and most do not have visual indicators. Get in the habit of refreshing buffs and debuffs periodically. You'll get a feel for the timings.

3) Kill Fast: You can't neglect offense either. The best way to boost yours is to use a Hastega, a party wide Haste boost. Everyone takes actions faster, meaning more damage and faster heals, soul break gain, etc. Usually Hastega effects are also paired with things like +Atk% or +Mag% boosts, or both, further increasing damage. Look for things like Ramza's Shout (+50% Atk, Haste) for a physical team, Onion Knight's Vessel of Fate (+30% Atk, +30% Mag, Haste) for mixed teams, etc. Same stacking rules apply here as well, so you can stack stat buffs as long as they don't effect identical stat sets. Shout and Vessel of Fate would stack, because the other is +Atk and the other +Atk/Mag.

4) Build up soul breaks fast: Like I mentioned, Soul Breaks are the most important thing in this game, so you want to use things that make you get either more soul breaks, or get them active faster. Both Cloud and Tyro have a Record Materia that lets you start a fight with one free Soul Break bar. This is massively important for getting vital buffs up right at the start of a fight. Ramza and Tidus have RM's that make you gain more SB bar when using skills, also very good. Finally Combat 4* users have access to Lifesiphon, an attack that makes you gain more SB gauge. And Support 4* gets you Wrath, a skill that builds up bar but without damage. (It also gives you a piddly +3% attack, which may overwrite better buffs to just +Atk, so people mostly use Wrath on caster types)

That's just kind of a rough overview, though. It'll be easier to give pointers if you could tell what kind of teams you've been running, what soul breaks and abilities you have access to, etc. Are you having trouble with some specific boss right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Catching on the pulls since mine. Seems to be one of the unluckiest draws in goon history.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I am going to weep for joy when Tactics gear finally stops being on every lucky draw banner. I think my last 3 LDs have netted me only Tactics gear, and I haven't pulled on this one yet but I just know I'm somehow going to get more Tactics. Please game, I have enough for like 3 fully-synergized teams now.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
I ended up getting Orlandu's BSB and a SSB for Jecht. My Orlandu is now complete. :getin:

What's the best way to combo his BSB and OSB again?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Depends. If you're not atk softcap, go bsb to OSB to bsb CMD 1 twice.

If you're at softcap, use OSB into BSB and cmd1

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Not lucky banner but I did finally get force stealer from the ffvii banner after 150 mythril

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Not lucky banner but I did finally get force stealer from the ffvii banner after 150 mythril

There's hope for me yet!

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
XIV A+: Big fan. Gimme more bosses that slightly resist everything so you can push them to weakness with imperils. You can build multiple working synergistic teams and have fun with such fights.

He was a bit of a pushover though. I RW'd wall but forgot to reapply it as he wasn't doing much through constant Ysh wrathed out bubbles.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

2/11: Cypress Pole and Sin's Fang. Still no FFX BSB or better.

But that essentially caps off my Mage team:

Cid Raines BSB
Rapha BSB
Krile BSB/SSB
Terra USB/OSB
Healer BSB or Tyro USB/BSB/SSB

I can even switch Terra for an Alphinaud BSB if the boss is heavily fire resistant.

So I can have 3 or 4 stacking MAG buffs, still have 1 or 2 Support 4 users for breakdowns, and a wide selection of RWs to bring along. Mitigation may be a little lacking but this party should be fun.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Stacking breaks will always be more important than stacking buffs unless you are capable of blitzing the boss down

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Stacking breaks will always be more important than stacking buffs unless you are capable of blitzing the boss down

Careful with those absolute statements ;)

There are bosses which are immune to debuffs (and I'm not talking about Nightmare bosses here) as well as ones with 80% resistance to debuffs on the way.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Protectga and Shellga reduce damage more than Power BD and Magic BD. You should still always use both but I always put up proshellga before applying breakdowns. Gives my boostga unit time to buff ATK so the breakdowns do a little more damage.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

(PS. The boss who is immune to all debuffs also has a 100% piercing arsenal so it ignores buffs too. DPS race time!)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Zurai posted:

(PS. The boss who is immune to all debuffs also has a 100% piercing arsenal so it ignores buffs too. DPS race time!)

Is it an anti-phyiscal boss or do USB cloud setups just laugh at it?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Bahamut D300 was definitely a flat-out DPS race for me. Sadly I only got 10 spirit motes out of it since I couldn't fit both Luneth and OK and still put together the absurd Cloud USB combo, but considering the alternative was probably not finishing it at all, I'll take it.

I can definitely see it being a viable option for bosses that hit hard but aren't giant HP sponges, even if those seem to be pretty rare.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
A deviation from my months old highly successful break stacking a team would probably be welcome

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

2/11 on the DU Lucky: Dupe Zidane BSB & Garnet BSB2

Because I definitely needed more synergy in my most stacked realm. :v: I'm not complaining though, my Garnet is getting ridiculously stacked now that I have her SSB1, BSB1, and now BSB2.

I haven't been doing hard content in ages due to being distracted by other games and just not being motivated but I really need to fix that at some point.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

When are we expecting more Torment dungeons? I couldn't find any mention thereof on the usual spots like kongbakpao and I ran out of time to try the upper levels yesterday. (Seriously, I dunno why I was being so timid because I stomped 200 Bahamut on my first try even with a few suboptimal decisions on ability selection.)

As for the DU Lucky, I got 4/11. Nothing too special though, just Beatrix BSB (not a dupe but I already have Agrias BSB)/Jecht SSB1/Ovelia SSB1 (a dupe that I combined)/Gaffgarion SSB.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

The Lucky got me yet another Saintly Excalibur, a Kuja Punisher that is far from relevant for my purposes, and Beatrix's OSB. Since she was already in my holy team, now all members of it have an OSB. Which is... good. I think.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Alxprit posted:

The Lucky got me yet another Saintly Excalibur, a Kuja Punisher that is far from relevant for my purposes, and Beatrix's OSB. Since she was already in my holy team, now all members of it have an OSB. Which is... good. I think.

The B in OSB stands for "Bad".

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Got jecht's blitzball bsb. Eh... I guess I can slot him in with seymour's bsb.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

The B in OSB stands for "Bad".

I have like 5 OSBs and I think the only one I actually use somewhat regularly is Terra. RW BSB->OSB to fire weakness pretty much means death to those bosses. The physical ones I've gotten/witnessed in MP are like 90% disappointing outside of TGCid.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

This was an odd lucky banner

Kimahri Burst: is this good? I don't know anymore. I know kimahri was the joke of the game but imperil water combos nicely with Tidus.

Shout: a bit late. I had the mage hastegas, Raines BSB so I could make a good mage team but I never could stack shout and cloud USB.

Should I kick out Tyro from my team if I have yshtola Wall now so I can use Cloud friends?

3 Damage (Orlandeu + Vaan + whatever)
Ramza support and shout (previously Tyro with Wall USB and wrath to alternate)
YShtola Wall, wrath then BSB

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
well i just drain striked with cloud USB to heal more HP than i ever have on any one target with any heal spell

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Lucky Draw got me a dupe and Zidane SSB. I had almost nothing for IX, so that's at least something. I have been fortunate in terms of pulling 6* relics, so I'm not stressing out much about any banners right now.

iamsosmrt posted:

I'm not sure I can really do a modern FF game anymore. X was my last one, way back in 2007, maybe, I tried XII and dropped it pretty swiftly. Heck, I started re-playing FFIV a few months back but only really have time pick it up maybe once every two weeks. The lack of play and go convenience basically dictates only phone games like FFRK get any consistent playtime for me. I'm somewhat content with these games primarily existing for nostalgia purposes.

I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm probably an ultra casual gamer at this point.

Not to veer too far off-topic here, but you can play FFXIV for free up to like level 30 now. If you're really that casual that you'll only play once every two weeks, well, it will probably take you a year or more to get through the free content, so all the better!

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Fuuuuuuck this game, and fuuuuuuuck me for chasing Cloud USB.

Blew a ton of mythril on that banner, even worked overtime at the start of the DU to get another 50 mythril, and now I am 7/10 on the banner overall after 4 11-pulls and nary a USB in sight :(

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
4 pulls isn't the worst chase i've seen someone give

consider how much money was blown on vega 42s and one winged angel back in the day

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Why is the UI so laggy and awful in titan MP? Opened cloud's SB menu, tapped his BSB2, and it made me use hailstorm as if the menu never opened.

It's ok though, not like he used Geocrush before I could use BSB2 on the next turn, causing half the party to die and everyone to quit. :shepface:

e: At least the next run cleared it, despite having an Alphinaud who, after getting his BSB, proceeded to alternate Bahamut and Aetherflow for the rest of the fight. And another player who used Orlandu's BSB, then his OSB a few turns later, then lifesiphon spammed while OSBing occasionally.

There is no goddamn way those people would've cleared without me carrying them with Cloud. :psyduck:

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 12, 2017

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Lucky draw netted me Tidus' CSB, a dupe Hamelin, and Zidane's SSB. Luckily no Tactics stuff this time! I dunno what to think of this CSB, it seems kind of underwhelming compared to Zack's, but I do have Tidus' OSB, Yuffie's BSB, a Golden Hairpin, and R3 Sapphire Shot, so I'm probably going to be able to do some gross stuff to any boss with a water weakness.

Zidane's SSB seems like garbage but I've got his BSB so +10 attack is fine. Dupe rod is a bummer since healer dupes are like the least useful combine, but ah well, not a bad haul for 25 mythril.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Booyah. Finally.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Snazzy Frocks posted:

4 pulls isn't the worst chase i've seen someone give

consider how much money was blown on vega 42s and one winged angel back in the day

I can't remember why was OWA so coveted? Just because the name and all that? I don't remember Sephiroth being all that good even way back when other than his clowncar sky high attack

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Because it was Sephiroth basically. Although as old as that thing is it may also have been a case of AoE SBs still being pretty rare and coveted.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
It was also the best source of blind early on

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Armitage posted:

It was also the best source of blind early on

jesus

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
This loving game.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Honestly the rate at which even newer relics become obsolete is the main reason I'd never spend any real money on this game. I can't imagine looking at some Vega 42s moldering in my vault and going "yep, I paid $25 for that" let alone the insane amounts some people spend chasing things. That reddit thread routinely has people spending multiple hundreds of dollars on a single banner and it blows my mind.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

I'm gonna chase super loving hard on a future VI banner just because it has five Setzer relics on a single banner. Five! Who cares if they're good or not, Setzer's my homeboy!

I am not prepared to go 5x Bone Club.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Eight-Six posted:

I'm gonna chase super loving hard on a future VI banner just because it has five Setzer relics on a single banner. Five! Who cares if they're good or not, Setzer's my homeboy!

I am not prepared to go 5x Bone Club.

same but ff6 gogo, but also i have no mythril to my name at the moment

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Is it an anti-phyiscal boss or do USB cloud setups just laugh at it?

Neither, really. He's not anti-physical at all, but his attacks are fierce enough that you may not have room for the full cloud USB getup and if you fail to kill him in one short burst of attacks he'll hit a character with an attack which deals 8000-9000 (piercing, debuff-proof, ranged) damage. If that character is Cloud, well, better reload!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Honestly the rate at which even newer relics become obsolete is the main reason I'd never spend any real money on this game. I can't imagine looking at some Vega 42s moldering in my vault and going "yep, I paid $25 for that" let alone the insane amounts some people spend chasing things. That reddit thread routinely has people spending multiple hundreds of dollars on a single banner and it blows my mind.

I used my Vega42s pretty heavily until Shout came out. The meta relics take a very long time to stop being good. I don't see Cloud's USB becoming obsolete without a fundamental shift in the game's design.

I think a Echo was originally going to have a SSB that was Wall plus haste or something.

• Locked thread