Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

It's worse in India, where the overpopulation is causing more problems and is being met with more drastic answers, like forced female sterilization (only female because they're patriarchal as hell)

Didn't they initially do male sterilization back in the 70s or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Didn't they initially do male sterilization back in the 70s or something?

Dunno, all I know is it's 99% female now and the piece of poo poo government's stated reason is "it would be just as effective to educate rural people instead, but sterilization is cheaper."

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
it strikes me as easier to do male sereialization

take a dozen oxy and warm up a soldering iron and ill give it a shot

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

ThndrShk2k posted:

We all agree that the issues are the same symptoms.

Some of us say that the cause is too many dudes
Some of us say that the cause is too inefficient dudes

Maybe we have too many dudes in specific areas for our level of efficiency?
🤔

What people are doing AND how many people are doing it are both problems.

Although I guess I have to use "people" in the bullshit Citizens United sense.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Dunno, all I know is it's 99% female now and the piece of poo poo government's stated reason is "it would be just as effective to educate rural people instead, but sterilization is cheaper."

Did this start under Modi or was this before?

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Enquirer/status/885280114740797441

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Jeb! Repetition posted:

What people are doing AND how many people are doing it are both problems.

Although I guess I have to use "people" in the bullshit Citizens United sense.
What people are doing changes the critical number for how many people are doing it.

How many people doesn't become a problem until what they are doing isn't enough(or too much, however you call it) and causes problems.

ThndrShk2k has issued a correction as of 00:34 on Jul 13, 2017

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Baloogan posted:

it strikes me as easier to do male sereialization

take a dozen oxy and warm up a soldering iron and ill give it a shot

It's 100% easier and cheaper but like I said, they're extremely sexist in India. "Me, a man, have surgery on my sacred genitals? Surely you jest."

I don't even think it's about the small endocrine problems vasectomies cause.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

ThndrShk2k posted:

What people are doing changes the critical number for how many people are doing it.

How many people doesn't become a problem until what they are doing isn't enough(or too much, however you call it) and causes problems.

Well yeha, it's like when Bill Burr points out everybody could drive an SUV if there were fewer people. But not everybody needs to drive an SUV.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Sterilize everybody.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Also another angle you gotta consider with the population/pollution thing is a lot of the emissions in China are from transnational corporations making stuff for Americans, and they wouldn't change even if China's population was reduced.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Well yeha, it's like when Bill Burr points out everybody could drive an SUV if there were fewer people. But not everybody needs to drive an SUV.
I dislike SUVs myself.

I want that 3 wheeled car to be real though

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

and so the true culprit is revealed: filthy loving americans

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Don't tread on my balls

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
I think we should have a long term goal of functionally depopulating the new world.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

ThndrShk2k posted:

For growing indoors one of the major issues are efficiency in the light itself. With current and upcoming technology they have lights that target the spectrums needed rather than a full blast of glow from more traditional lights. Last year a place in NJ was making organice food for the same cost as it would to get the food from an organic farm in California, so we're at the point where it's viable, and there's plenty of improvements to be made. There's also about the controlled environment to reduce the variables in growing that would give benefits that needs more development as well.

The goal for such indoor operations should be to most efficiently grow the plants, and hopefully they have a bullet of "use as little energy as possible". This would be important for some of the inefficient sustainable power sources, as well as coal fired sources.

The problem with a lot of energy coming from coal is more of a general issue for all sources of electricity and not specifically for indoor growing.

Right, but the savings vs shipping from California come primarily from the transportation of water. However the American diet doesn't seem to consist primarily of these high water content foods.

Here is a list of supposedly the top ten:
Cucumber (96.7%)
Iceberg Lettuce
Celery
Radishes
Tomatoes
Green peppers
Cauliflower
Watermelon
Spinach
Strawberries (91%)

Yes, I agree that urban farming is and will be a major thing that will improve our lives and reduce greenhouse gas emissions, etc.

Solar panels are about 18% efficient, so getting energy from the sun for this indoor growing will require more the 5 times the area in sunlight gathering (discounting transmission losses). Unless we switch to nuclear, indoor growing will never fill all of our growing requirements.

I understand that you are not arguing that, but it seems like you are overly optimistic about what indoor growing can do, based on the information I have seen.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/885289429711171585

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

, he threatened.

Jewel Repetition has issued a correction as of 01:19 on Jul 13, 2017

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Yinlock posted:

one side explicitly wants all non whites to die, the other thinks the first side are dumb

i guess we'll never know who's right

do u think the 20% of clinton supporters who think black people are less intelligent than white people, are racist

do u think those 20% of clinton supporters want all non-whites to die and are itching to do some hate crimes themselves

do u think it's a good thing that those 20% of clinton supporters, were clinton supporters, or would u have preferred for them to be republicans so the dems could claim that their base is ideologically pure

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

deadgoon posted:

do u think the 20% of clinton supporters who think black people are less intelligent than white people, are racist

do u think those 20% of clinton supporters want all non-whites to die and are itching to do some hate crimes themselves

do u think it's a good thing that those 20% of clinton supporters, were clinton supporters, or would u have preferred for them to be republicans so the dems could claim that their base is ideologically pure

Hold on is this Bill or Hillary?

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

It begins.

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Hold on is this Bill or Hillary?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

deadgoon posted:

youre going to have to say this back to me but in simpler wors

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Wow great ideas. Keep it up!

We must protect the free speech to deny others

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Right, but the savings vs shipping from California come primarily from the transportation of water. However the American diet doesn't seem to consist primarily of these high water content foods.

Here is a list of supposedly the top ten:
Cucumber (96.7%)
Iceberg Lettuce
Celery
Radishes
Tomatoes
Green peppers
Cauliflower
Watermelon
Spinach
Strawberries (91%)

Yes, I agree that urban farming is and will be a major thing that will improve our lives and reduce greenhouse gas emissions, etc.

Solar panels are about 18% efficient, so getting energy from the sun for this indoor growing will require more the 5 times the area in sunlight gathering (discounting transmission losses). Unless we switch to nuclear, indoor growing will never fill all of our growing requirements.

I understand that you are not arguing that, but it seems like you are overly optimistic about what indoor growing can do, based on the information I have seen.

Not only that but it ignores the massive spend of energy required to even start the operation. Forging solar panels requires massive amounts of energy and rare earth materials to construct them, it requires massive amounts of energy to transport them. You require semiconductor doping plants chugging massive amounts of energy to produce LEDs, which also need to be transported, with added complexity that you're either buying LEDs that can change colour spectrum (less efficient) or doubling up on LEDs for different stages the plant lifecycle. Did I mention the batteries are constructed with shitloads of energy and minerals, need to be transported, and have a limited lifespan?

Vertical farming is a nice idea but it's already too late to implement it. By the time urban farming becomes necessary, the economy has already broken down to the point that electricity intensive farming becomes impossible to scale.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The Little Kielbasa posted:

I think we should have a long term goal of functionally depopulating the new world.

Good news!

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
i prefer when horsey draws fat titties in low-cut tops

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

Digiwizzard posted:

Not only that but it ignores the massive spend of energy required to even start the operation. Forging solar panels requires massive amounts of energy and rare earth materials to construct them, it requires massive amounts of energy to transport them. You require semiconductor doping plants chugging massive amounts of energy to produce LEDs, which also need to be transported, with added complexity that you're either buying LEDs that can change colour spectrum (less efficient) or doubling up on LEDs for different stages the plant lifecycle. Did I mention the batteries are constructed with shitloads of energy and minerals, need to be transported, and have a limited lifespan?

Vertical farming is a nice idea but it's already too late to implement it. By the time urban farming becomes necessary, the economy has already broken down to the point that electricity intensive farming becomes impossible to scale.

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
King Macron the Mad

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

UHD posted:

and so the true culprit is revealed: filthy loving americans

we produce so much loving excess it's really unbelievable

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Al! posted:

youre going to have to say this back to me but in simpler wors

many people who supported hillary clinton and bernie sanders have racist attitudes

is it good, that they are part of the democratic coalition, instead of being republicans

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

he truly is our hero

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

Current investment in nuclear energy is less than 2%. And 0% of the logistics chain required to build and supply a nuclear power plant runs off nuclear energy.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Digiwizzard posted:

Current investment in nuclear energy is less than 2%. And 0% of the logistics chain required to build and supply a nuclear power plant runs off nuclear energy.

They still use abacus and oil lamps?!?!

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

Digiwizzard posted:

wrap it up folks, as we are all aware the free market knows best

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Digiwizzard posted:

'Construction & transport isn't electrified' isn't a fault of nuclear power specifically, but you definitely have lower fuel costs for just digging up & moving uranium around than you do coal - the bigger energy sink for getting the fuel is going to be enrichment, which should run off the electric grid?

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

Corky Romanovsky posted:

They still use abacus and oil lamps?!?!

I concede that someone's computer and can be powered be nuclear energy, but unfortunately your copy of Quicken cannot generate hundreds of thousands of uranium powered trucks, excavators, cement mixers, etc.

Dairy Days posted:

wrap it up folks, as we are all aware the free market knows best

The point isn't that the free market works, it's that its already too late. We've already wasted all the resources that would have been necessary for nuclear to have any sort of meaningful impact.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

loquacius posted:

the explanation that "join them" was not a literal chant but instructions to join in the existing chant made much more sense than actually saying "get the gently caress out" to "love is love"

even if responding to "ban fracking now" with "hillary" makes no sense either

ban hilary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
deep within a forest in an area of rural tennessee is a modest house where suddenly, a beeping could be heard. a goon emerges from a bed full of mountain dew bottles and empty doritos bags, rising headfirst as if raised by a mechanical force.

he knows that sound. someone just posted about nuclear energy.

springing from the bed, he grabs his folder and starts posting.

THORIUM YOU JERKS

• Locked thread