Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Archenteron posted:

Do I sick an Hour of Devastation or two into my Turbofog sideboard, or maybe Locust God :thunk:

I've been back to playing Fog on XMage just for funzies and I can't seem to beat that Mono Blue Mill deck.

Game 1 is basically unwinnable unless you run a boatload of counters maindeck (you don't) and even if you do then you take turns off waiting to counter that stupid 3 mana enchantment for the 4 mana mill 13

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

God, after Vintage Cube, drafting a regular set is kind of meh. I'll go 2-1 expecting to roll right into another draft, but no, I have to deal with tickets and bots and poo poo and hope I have enough to draft again. Plus, it's nowhere near as fun.

So, I was thinking about how you guys are always saying to buy singles, never packs, and thankfully found a good middle ground while on vacation.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

odiv posted:

God, after Vintage Cube, drafting a regular set is kind of meh. I'll go 2-1 expecting to roll right into another draft, but no, I have to deal with tickets and bots and poo poo and hope I have enough to draft again. Plus, it's nowhere near as fun.

So, I was thinking about how you guys are always saying to buy singles, never packs, and thankfully found a good middle ground while on vacation.

The comic book shop where I bought my first pack of Fallen Empires still has a vending machine like this. I went there some months ago to see if they had any cards still. I put fifty cents into it and got 3x Armor of Thorns.

The weirdest Magic vending machine thing I ever saw was when I was food shopping at a new supermarket and found packs of Italian Renaissance for $1 each. They never had any Magic cards again, just random packs of Pokemon and mystery bags of YuGiOh.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
So are LSV and Gaby Spartz officially a thing now?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Who cares? Jesus.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

mcmagic posted:

I doubt it he's not even hosting her on twitch. :v:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

odiv posted:

Who cares? Jesus.

Fair point. Gossip is semi entertaining.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

I don't think they have said anything, but they have been streaming from the same house. They also tweet pictures they take of each other during the week.

Lsv is kind of dating out of his league but good on him.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Yes. They are getting married a FNM.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I thought LSV was married and had a kid or something?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Gyshall posted:

I thought LSV was married and had a kid or something?

Both him and gabby got abruptly divorced at the same time.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
I'm sure discussing this topic will not be something we regret at all.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Gaby is also like mega rich from what I saw in twitch chat (lol)

ThePeavstenator posted:

After this thread was talking about pro loving wrestling there is nothing worse that can be discussed.

80s James Hetfield fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 12, 2017

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
We could have talked about turbofog instead I think pro wrestling is a step up.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

80s James Hetfield posted:

After this thread was talking about pro loving wrestling there is nothing worse that can be discussed.

Her and her ex own/owned a lovely internet media company that made oodles here in Chicago.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

80s James Hetfield posted:

Discussing the private lives of random people who happen to play magic well is way worse than people self-owning by calling wrestling childish in the magic thread

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

cheetah7071 posted:

Discussing the private lives of random people who happen to play magic well is way worse than people self-owning by calling wrestling childish in the magic thread

Meh at this point LSV and Gaby are self-made celebrities and desire being such. People want to talk about celebs.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ShaneB posted:

Meh at this point LSV and Gaby are self-made celebrities and desire being such. People want to talk about celebs.

Celebrity gossip of actors is kinda gross too tbh

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

ThePeavstenator posted:

I mean, there's an entire industry that revolves around celebrity gossip. It's not surprising niche-celebrities get gossiped about in the niche-community.

I have no idea if its true or not, but they're streaming from the same house, and spent the entire GP taking photos together, so the logical assumption is that it is true. In which case LSV is like the only person who has ever shot that far out of his league by being too good at Magic: the Gathering.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 12, 2017

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

cheetah7071 posted:

I don't disagree but here we are.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

cheetah7071 posted:

Magic: the Fappening starring Travis woo and pals

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Does anyone know if Travis Woo is dating Hitler yet.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

I wonder if Baekstrom is pissed.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Lol didn't LSV just have a kid?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

fadam posted:

Lol didn't LSV just have a kid?

Named "Naya". :v:

Yes. It is just a coincidence. At least, so they say.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

SoftNum posted:

At least part of it is some people have this weird blindness to GY effects where they don't seem to understand the cards have to get in your GY first. Also the card is almost blank if you don't already have some zombies and some GY fodder.

But we'll all be sorry when he is the new meta, I guess...

I had a game playing with it at my sealed tournament where I couldn't get any other zombies out, had seven mana on the table, and blocked with it and recast it four turns in a row to keep from dying to that hexproof crocodile. No other land draws. It was depressing.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

The name or the divorce?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

fadam posted:

The name or the divorce?

The name.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

AlternateNu posted:

My favorite one of these is the guy on Brainstorm Brewery who claims he only suggested they name their daughter Liliana as a joke.

Needless to say he now has a daughter named Liliana

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Boxman posted:

So his daughter's name is Lily.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean, there's an entire industry that revolves around celebrity gossip. It's not surprising niche-celebrities get gossiped about in the niche-community.

I have no idea if its true or not, but they're streaming from the same house, and spent the entire GP taking photos together, so the logical assumption is that it is true. In which case LSV is like the only person who has ever shot that far out of his league by being too good at Magic: the Gathering.

We're way past the point of a woman making GBS threads all over Jon Finkel, Magic is big time now.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Some Numbers posted:

So his daughter's name is Lily.

That one's at least defensible; I have a buddy in Toronto whose daughter is named Alara.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I've met a couple Chandra's IRL but they were born long before planeswalkers existed.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Rich weirdos are basically the only way new names get added to society (e: well, that and immigrants bringing their names with them) so I wouldn't be surprised if in 50 years several of these extremely nerdy names have penetrated the list of normal names.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

forcing your wife to name her child after your embarassing nerd hobby and then immediately cheating on her is pretty low, imo

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Lone Goat posted:

We're way past the point of a woman making GBS threads all over Jon Finkel, Magic is big time now.

Finkel rules. That article was super nasty.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Lone Goat posted:

I've met a couple Chandra's IRL but they were born long before planeswalkers existed.

I mean, Chandra is a reasonably common Indian male name I think.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Boxman posted:

My favorite one of these is the guy on Brainstorm Brewery who claims he only suggested they name their daughter Liliana as a joke.

I was friends with a girl in HS who went by Liliana. This was a couple years before Liliana as a Magic character was even introduced :shrug: I liked the name then and I still like it now.

The president of my former employer had a son in like late 2014 and named him Jace. I never got up the courage to ask him if he played Magic.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I played against Death's Shadow 3 rounds in a row at Modern league tonight. People really seem to like that deck for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Entropic posted:

I played against Death's Shadow 3 rounds in a row at Modern league tonight. People really seem to like that deck for some reason.

I"m super close to maindecking Celestial Purge and Dark Betrayal in my respective decks just to gently caress with people and see how many call a judge on me game 1.