Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Mr. Mambold posted:

LEVIN, PAPANTONIO, THOMAS, MITCHELL, RAFFERTY & PROCTOR, P.A. would like a word with you-

https://www.levinlaw.com/monsanto-roundup-lawsuit-cancer-link
This isn't the pseudoscience thread.

CharlesM posted:

If I'm installing network cable in a home through the wall should it be plenum or riser rated?
CL2 (in wall) rated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost

opengl128 posted:

Once you get it off the wall there will most likely be more obvious, labelled connections, maybe on the back. I doubt those wires you see are the actual thermostat wires coming out of the wall.

You were right. Thanks, everyone, now I can save some money with my new Nest :). I would oftentimes forget to turn my A/C off before leaving for work and now that its summertime my electric bill nearly doubled.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Buca di Bepis posted:

It's not going to be super efficient since the duct is at 90 degrees to the rising air and in such a tight spot but what else do you think is the matter with it?

Yeah, it just looked weird but I guess it's fine!

Installed it last night and it works great. It wasn't hard, it was just tricky. And there was a bonus trap piece in the box too to throw you off (the extra grease filter for models that recirculate the air instead of vent away)

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

H110Hawk posted:

While being very careful not to bust that mercury bulb and create a super fun problem. You have renters insurance right?

Is it really a big deal? Kids used to play with mercury in science class. Everybody had glass mercury thermometers out in the open. Go back a little farther and people were drinking the stuff. I wouldn't try huffing it, but the tiny amount in a thermostat or fluorescent bulb doesn't seem like an actual hazard.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
In high school we had a big jug of it and played with it in chemistry class, I'm 29.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I wouldn't ingest it or get it in cuts on my skin, but it's not going to kill you just because you touched it, no. Treat it with respect, like you would, say, concentrated acid or caustic lye.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

shovelbum posted:

In high school we had a big jug of it and played with it in chemistry class, I'm 29.

I'm so jealous! I'm 45 and they'd cut out the 'playing with mercury' segment just a few years before I got to that class. It still wasn't considered dangerous for the kids, but there was concern that the chemistry teachers might get over exposed spending all day in the lab.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Facebook Aunt posted:

Is it really a big deal? Kids used to play with mercury in science class. Everybody had glass mercury thermometers out in the open. Go back a little farther and people were drinking the stuff. I wouldn't try huffing it, but the tiny amount in a thermostat or fluorescent bulb doesn't seem like an actual hazard.

It's not the worst thing you can have around, but spilling it into your carpet makes it hard to clean up. Science class is also not the best example of "best practices safety protocols." :)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I stole a vial of it from my junior high school chemistry lab. I was worried I was gonna get caught because I was using an eye dropper to transfer it, but the weight (I assume that’s why) of the mercury made it hard to keep any in the eye dropper.

I also tried to make a glass jar bomb from an Anarchist Cookbook recipe with potassium permanganate stolen from the same lab. It did not work, which is good because I probably wasn’t more than 15 or 20 feet away from what was supposed to be a gasoline explosion triggered by shattering the glass jar the mixture was in.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I stole a vial of it from my junior high school chemistry lab. I was worried I was gonna get caught because I was using an eye dropper to transfer it, but the weight (I assume that’s why) of the mercury made it hard to keep any in the eye dropper.

I also tried to make a glass jar bomb from an Anarchist Cookbook recipe with potassium permanganate stolen from the same lab. It did not work, which is good because I probably wasn’t more than 15 or 20 feet away from what was supposed to be a gasoline explosion triggered by shattering the glass jar the mixture was in.

This isn't the retarded things we did in high school that by the grace of God we weren't killed or maimed thread.

PSYCHE!

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
Science teacher had a big jug of it but judged most of the classes as 'likely to be stupid with it' and just kept it under lock and key

he was probably correct

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Squashy Nipples posted:

Anyway, why would he mix the cables? Just what he had on hand?
I'd guess they used multiple cable boxes when doing the pulls to speed up the installation.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

bathroom fan replacement. nothing fancy like a new fan with a built in light fixture or anything, just a fan that can move more than half a cubic inch of air per hour.

looks piss-easy to replace without having to go in the attic. bathroom was redone by previous owner probably < 10 years ago so it shouldn't be TOO bad. fan is, luckily, confirmed to be properly vented outside.

are they, in fact, piss easy to replace?

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

SoundMonkey posted:

bathroom fan replacement. nothing fancy like a new fan with a built in light fixture or anything, just a fan that can move more than half a cubic inch of air per hour.

looks piss-easy to replace without having to go in the attic. bathroom was redone by previous owner probably < 10 years ago so it shouldn't be TOO bad. fan is, luckily, confirmed to be properly vented outside.

I think it depends on the fans and if the floor above is attic or not.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I had to drill a hole, about 1/2 inch, through one of the eaves on my porch to hide some speaker wire. I was wondering if there's like something to put in the opening to make it look clean and even shield the hole a little? Like my mind goes to one of those wall plates for a low voltage box, but tiny and circular.

One Day Fish Sale
Aug 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Dave posted:

I had to drill a hole, about 1/2 inch, through one of the eaves on my porch to hide some speaker wire. I was wondering if there's like something to put in the opening to make it look clean and even shield the hole a little? Like my mind goes to one of those wall plates for a low voltage box, but tiny and circular.

I've used something like this before, with latex caulk to hold it in place and seal up any gaps:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-Coaxial-Cable-Feed-Through-Bushing-White-COAX-BUSH-WH/203717842

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

SoundMonkey posted:

They're super easy to replace if all you're replacing is the fan itself and not the housing. Sometimes you'll get lucky and there will be a higher CFM fan for your housing. Take the old fan with you to the hardware store and compare it to their fans. Be prepared to open boxes.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

SoundMonkey posted:

They are so piss easy to replace, you can in fact youtube yourself pissing with one hand, while replacing the fan with the other. As in everything else, location, location, location is paramount. Bonus points if you get all the piss in the toilet or designated bucket.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

SoundMonkey posted:

Easiest is if there's a wall-switched powerpoint in the ceiling the fan plugs into.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

shovelbum posted:

What are the costs of doing a fiber link like that now, anyway? I've seen it to connect the bridge of a boat to the engine room (15m run or so) but that's about the smallest fiber setup I've ever run into.

Pretty cheap if you're in multi mode distances. They aren't using lasers anymore for multi - it's LED so the transceivers are on the order of $30 instead of $150 for single mode. You can get 300M of single mode, pre terminated for like $400. Add flex conduit for another $100 and you're done, assuming you already have switches with SFP slots on either side.

H110Hawk posted:

They make cheap plugin testers that do just this. You put your rj-45 into both ends of the tester and it shows you pinout. Missing lines are broken conductors. $500 for Fluke, $20 for cheap, and $6 for crap.

That's a little bit disingenuous. The $500 fluke is not merely a continuity tester. For that price you aren't gonna get one that certifies cables, but it's gonna at least test them properly and probably even give you a "distance to break" measurement.

Squashy Nipples posted:

I think I did a pretty good job, considering that the place has 15-ft ceilings.

Anyway, why would he mix the cables? Just what he had on hand?

Yeah, that looks pretty clean.

And most electricians don't know/don't care. You use multiple boxes to pull at once, so they probably had a bunch of poo poo lying around and used it. Because 'puter cable is 'puter cable, right?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

That's a little bit disingenuous. The $500 fluke is not merely a continuity tester. For that price you aren't gonna get one that certifies cables, but it's gonna at least test them properly and probably even give you a "distance to break" measurement.

The $500 fluke was tongue in cheek, and I assume is a TDR (for the magic that is distance to break.) I just saw it scrolling through the $20 cheap ones the poster should buy. Heck harbor freight probably has one that works for a single small job.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Motronic posted:

The $500 fluke is not merely a continuity tester. For that price you aren't gonna get one that certifies cables, but it's gonna at least test them properly and probably even give you a "distance to break" measurement.

In the end I got an Ideal VDV II Plus for £185, not the highest end of stuff but it has a decent feature set and I won't be using it every day.

I didn't fancy dropping an extra 115 upgrading to the Pro which has distance to short as well as the Plus's distance to open, and while PoE and network speed features are nice I'm not running that much PoE.

I did, however, buy 12 extra remote dongles because I'm running 36 lines and gently caress going up and down ladders all day.

Edit: on further inspection I reckon the only difference between the two is the firmware. Worth investigating.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 13, 2017

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Motronic posted:

If you're going to do ANY kind of cabling work get one that has a tone generator and a tone wand.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

kid sinister posted:

Take the old fan with you to the hardware store and compare it to their fans. Be prepared to open boxes.

but then what will become of my poo vapors while i'm at the hardware store?

seriously though, good idea. i imagine i'll be replacing the housing since it's almost certainly going to be a different brand because it turns out a $22.99 fan gives you $22.99 worth of airflow.

Mr. Mambold posted:

They are so piss easy to replace, you can in fact youtube yourself pissing with one hand, while replacing the fan with the other. As in everything else, location, location, location is paramount. Bonus points if you get all the piss in the toilet or designated bucket.

realtalk how much do you think about piss on a daily basis

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

SoundMonkey posted:

but then what will become of my poo vapors while i'm at the hardware store?

seriously though, good idea. i imagine i'll be replacing the housing since it's almost certainly going to be a different brand because it turns out a $22.99 fan gives you $22.99 worth of airflow.

realtalk how much do you think about piss on a daily basis

Not much. How about you? Did you get it replaced yet?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mr. Mambold posted:

Not much. How about you? Did you get it replaced yet?

god no i haven't even summoned the effort to measure my existing one

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
Well, I've coated my deck with Cetol SRD as stated a page or so back.
https://buyat.ppg.com/REP_PafPaintTools_files/Sikkens%20Canada/SI_SIK250XXX_CAEN.pdf

It went on well, the wood took it up, and now water beads on it. I'm just wondering how it will hold up against say, a glass of spilled wine. I'm used to coatings that create a film which would mean the wine couldn't access the wood, but with this product, it soaks in to seal the wood. Am I screwed if someone spills wine on it (which happens a lot around here), or would I have to resand, and reapply the sealer to the whole board that's stained? Anyone have any experience with a product like this?

Thanks!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Maybe this is just me, but I feel like you're a little too concerned about the appearances of something that's going to be outdoors 24/7. Let it weather, let it acquire stains and character.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Well, I've coated my deck with Cetol SRD as stated a page or so back.
https://buyat.ppg.com/REP_PafPaintTools_files/Sikkens%20Canada/SI_SIK250XXX_CAEN.pdf

It went on well, the wood took it up, and now water beads on it. I'm just wondering how it will hold up against say, a glass of spilled wine. I'm used to coatings that create a film which would mean the wine couldn't access the wood, but with this product, it soaks in to seal the wood. Am I screwed if someone spills wine on it (which happens a lot around here), or would I have to resand, and reapply the sealer to the whole board that's stained? Anyone have any experience with a product like this?

Thanks!

Test a scrap piece and see! I've honestly never heard, nor ever expected to hear that as an issue. You've gapped them proper, should be ok. If water beads on it, I doubt the tannins in wine will do anything...God, I can't believe I'm writing that about an outside deck.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Maybe this is just me, but I feel like you're a little too concerned about the appearances of something that's going to be outdoors 24/7. Let it weather, let it acquire stains and character.

Man, the man likes his Boone's Farm and his Morgan Davis now, don't be deck-shaming him.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

SoundMonkey posted:

god no i haven't even summoned the effort to measure my existing one

If you're ripping out the whole thing rather than just the fan go ahead and do yourself the favor with a Panasonic whisper quiet one.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

H110Hawk posted:

If you're ripping out the whole thing rather than just the fan go ahead and do yourself the favor with a Panasonic whisper quiet one.

okay so presume i'm an idiot because i am

by 'fan' you mean the actual blower unit inside the enclosure, and by 'whole thing' you mean the entire thing except the hose going outside, right?

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
yes that's what he means

don't get electrocuted

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
And if you don't already use occupancy/vacancy switches in your bathrooms--might want to think about getting one if you install a quiet fan. The WhisperQuiets and higher end Broans really are soundless--very hard to tell if they are on and they will get left on.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

HycoCam posted:

And if you don't already use occupancy/vacancy switches in your bathrooms--might want to think about getting one if you install a quiet fan. The WhisperQuiets and higher end Broans really are soundless--very hard to tell if they are on and they will get left on.

it's gonna be on a whole lot, my house is an elaborate rube goldberg machine of ventilation and touching one thing sets off a butterfly-effect where now it's too hot to sleep upstairs

like the bathroom fan is the only thing pulling cool air from the living room through the kitchen where an enormous pressure canner is running

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

Mr. Mambold posted:

Test a scrap piece and see! I've honestly never heard, nor ever expected to hear that as an issue. You've gapped them proper, should be ok. If water beads on it, I doubt the tannins in wine will do anything...God, I can't believe I'm writing that about an outside deck.

Man, the man likes his Boone's Farm and his Morgan Davis now, don't be deck-shaming him.
Haha, believe me, if you knew what the rest of my place looked like, you'd know I don't mind things a little rough around the edges. This deck is outdoors, but has a clear poly roof. A giant splash mark in the middle of the floor that's irreparable would be nice to avoid.

I put some wine on a scrap with the same sealer on it, so I will see how it fares. Thought of doing that right after I posted.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

HycoCam posted:

I don’t know, I’ve always felt like exhaust fans should make noise because it covers up...other noises.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I don’t know, I’ve always felt like exhaust fans should make noise because it covers up...other noises.
Agreed. SoundMonkey, lemme have your old fan when you remove it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The noise is the #1 feature, the smell is auxiliary.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
In my experience, the noise doesn't cover up nearly as much as the person in the bathroom would think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
There's a really powerful Panasonic that's 2 sones instead of the 0.3 of the other ones. That'd be two problems solved in one.