Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Mozi posted:

What I've learned from following the Larsen C thing is that a quarter the size of Wales is twice the size of Luxembourg which is about the size of Delware.
How many emissions are Delaware citizens responsible for, and how hard would it be to airlift there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

It's worth remembering that there were armadillos and sloths the size of cars rolling around North and South America as recently as 20000 years ago. The natural world that we're familiar with was already a historical anomaly following the large-scale global extinction of megafauna after the end of the last ice age. We're currently causing mass extinctions in already depleted ecosystems.

StabbinHobo posted:

reminder for whatever page we're on: if you live in a detached house and drive a car your reduced-meat diet is you telling everyone around you "i'm smug as gently caress and bad at math!"

My bank emits three times more carbon than the fruit I eat?! As if there weren't enough reasons to dislike the financial industry.

edit: VVVVVV It's a reminder that the ecosystems we live in were already reeling, and we should be treating them with extreme care as opposed to pushing them to their absolute limit. Honestly online discussion is so hobbled, there was nothing in my post implying we shouldn't care about the ongoing mass extinction.

Also my inner 10 year old is just disappointed I'll never get to see the car armadillos.

Nocturtle fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 12, 2017

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Nocturtle posted:

It's worth remembering that there were armadillos and sloths the size of cars rolling around North and South America as recently as 20000 years ago. The natural world that we're familiar with was already a historical anomaly following the large-scale global extinction of megafauna after the end of the last ice age. We're currently causing mass extinctions in already depleted ecosystems.

Why is that worth remembering? Some animals were made extinct by natural processes at some point in the past, therefore we shouldn't care about the ones we're making go extinct now?

On another note, this data indicates the main problem is industry and electricity generation, in terms of GHGs: https://www.epa.gov/ghgemissions/sources-greenhouse-gas-emissions

call to action fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 12, 2017

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

call to action posted:

Why is that worth remembering? Some animals were made extinct by natural processes at some point in the past, therefore we shouldn't care about the ones we're making go extinct now?

On another note, this data indicates the main problem is industry and electricity generation, in terms of GHGs: https://www.epa.gov/ghgemissions/sources-greenhouse-gas-emissions

Also it's pretty widely thought that humans hunted those animals to extinction, so it's more of an extension of a current issue than anything.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

call to action posted:

Megafauna extinction was anthropogenic.

Their disappearance actually serves a good indicator of early human movements as we spread out from the horn of Africa.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Nocturtle posted:

Also my inner 10 year old is just disappointed I'll never get to see the car armadillos.

oh they didn't go extinct, the mana level just sunk too far

you'll see cute lil car sized Juggernaut babies once the Sixth World starts on August 17

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Quandary posted:

Also it's pretty widely thought that humans hunted those animals to extinction, so it's more of an extension of a current issue than anything.

I don't know about armadillos and sloths, but everyone knows that humans hunted dinosaurs to extinction!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

enraged_camel posted:

I don't know about armadillos and sloths, but everyone knows that humans hunted dinosaurs to extinction!

Even though they were Our Lord and Savior's choice of mount! For which we suffer to this day.

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Nocturtle posted:

My bank emits three times more carbon than the fruit I eat?! As if there weren't enough reasons to dislike the financial industry.

"finance" = bitcoin mining rigs

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

StabbinHobo posted:

reminder for whatever page we're on: if you live in a detached house and drive a car your reduced-meat diet is you telling everyone around you "i'm smug as gently caress and bad at math!"

- have few and ideally no kids
- move to a 5+ unit building
- do not use a car daily
- eat cheeseburgers erry fukin day

So more than half of your carbon footprint can be eliminated by basically just moving to a city with public transportation.

Very cool chart.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Potentially stupid question but I'm struggling to find answers with google... you know how when the glaciers that covered North America receded, some of that glacial movement melted and formed the Great Lakes? Is it possible with the geography of Antarctica that some of the glaciers covering it would just melt and stay on the land mass of Antarctica to form big rear end lakes rather than floating out into the ocean and causing massive sea level rise?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Burt Buckle posted:

Potentially stupid question but I'm struggling to find answers with google... you know how when the glaciers that covered North America receded, some of that glacial movement melted and formed the Great Lakes? Is it possible with the geography of Antarctica that some of the glaciers covering it would just melt and stay on the land mass of Antarctica to form big rear end lakes rather than floating out into the ocean and causing massive sea level rise?

If all of Antarctica's ice melted I'm sure there would be some lakes left on it, yeah.

Not enough to prevent literally hundreds of feet of sea level rise, but some would remain, no doubt about it.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Burt Buckle posted:

So more than half of your carbon footprint can be eliminated by basically just moving to a city with public transportation.

Very cool chart.

It's more like a little bit less than a quarter, at least according to that chart. But yeah, not driving everyday is easily the biggest thing that any given person can do to reduce their own footprint.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/AmichaiStein1/status/885072176906477568

This finally happened.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Burt Buckle posted:

Antarctica is an archipelago rather than a continent, due to the pressure of ice causing the landmass to sink. Your answer would depend on whether than landmass can rebound faster than the ice melts (probably not).

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Paradoxish posted:

It's more like a little bit less than a quarter, at least according to that chart. But yeah, not driving everyday is easily the biggest thing that any given person can do to reduce their own footprint.

That chart is for the average person. So e.g. driving is a blend of people who don't drive or at least only drive a short distance (who score near to 0 on the driving), and those who drive a lot, who score way higher than 4.7. So I can believe it's cutting down by about half if you move from the latter group to the former group.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Thanks for posting, we had not seen it seven times already.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Nice video on that one, at least. Big thing is big!

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Conspiratiorist posted:

Ever heard of civil defense?

Stockpiling ammo is the loving opposite of building community resilience - as Katrina will show, the first thing the National Guard does is take guns away from the dumbshit "my house is my castle and my flooded lawn is my new moat" types.

Counterpoint: the bundy gang. They still seem to be kicking despite how many armed standoffs at this point? Clearly this is more complicated than you are making it out to be.

I mean we don't have to guess, there are countless historical examples where poo poo hit the fan and it always turned out pretty loving poorly for the people who just decided to rely on community support. Katrina is a perfect example actually, but i think the tribal warfare in early America is a better example of how things would actually function in the hypothetical doomsday scenarios people are talking about.

But really though? The life of most 1st worlders living today isn't going to be affected much by climate change unless something really bonkers happens and it hits much harder and faster than the models are predicting. The disdain shown towards technologies that will mitigate cc or reverse it is nutty, unfounded, and frankly anti - intellectual. It's like the people 20 years ago who said competitive green energy was impossible-- actually you just have to put the time and research in.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Squalid posted:

I go on and off meat, imo the trick is just easing into the diet and not sweating the odd roast served by grandma.

Reduce animal protein consumption in phases so there's no dramatic break that could push you to relapse. So start by eliminating meat at breakfast and lunch, for example by replacing a ham sandwich with peanut butter and jelly or red bean vegetarian chili. Instead of milk with cereal try oatmeal or grits with water and a spot of butter.

Once you've done that start introducing vegetable entrees into dinner once a week, and then increase their frequency as it begins to feel more natural. So try making tacos but use black beans instead of beef, or experiment with other dishes with which you are already familiar. The key to making good vegetarian dishes is getting them really savory, so season generously with soy sauce, bouillon or stock. If you like vegetables try incorporating those with naturally high umami like mushrooms and eggplant into your dishes.

Chicken is actually a lot better for the environment than a lot of the things you mentioned. If people just reduced beef and lamb consumption you'd be 90 percent of the way there, and additionally chicken is an incredibly efficient protein that can be made nearly anywhere and requires very little land use.

Another thing that people forget is that the carbon footprints of things are variable. If everyone switched to only eating soybeans tomorrow, the per calorie carbon footprint of it would increase by a significant amount for a variety of reasons, one of the major ones being that you would have to vastly increase the amount of crops and arable land is a location specific and limited resource. Increasing the use of sub optimal farmland for a crop inevitably leads to higher carbon use. But besides that chicken wings are delicious.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Burt Buckle posted:

Very cool chart.

exactly. every time you hear someone say "but what can I do" its simple "move to a condo or townhouse and take the bus or train to work". thats it. this is where they give you the litany of crybaby excuses of why it would be moderately inconvenience for them to change their lifestyle so blah blah nihilist-escape-hatch.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it is not at all a coincidence that this breaks down on left/right barriers. buses and trains are shared transit. parks are shared yards. adjacent buildings are shared walls. the solution to climate change is SHARING YOU GREEDY FUCKS.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

StabbinHobo posted:

exactly. every time you hear someone say "but what can I do" its simple "move to a condo or townhouse and take the bus or train to work". thats it. this is where they give you the litany of crybaby excuses of why it would be moderately inconvenience for them to change their lifestyle so blah blah nihilist-escape-hatch.

That's not the full implication of that chart, which is actually much worse. If we want to avoid the catastrophic climate change scenarios that chart needs to show 0t C02e for every North American extremely quickly. Even if you forced everyone into cities, scrapped their cars and mercy-killed every factory farm cow we'd still be nowhere near zero emissions. Our infrastructure needs to be completely overhauled so that even our food production doesn't emit carbon. This doesn't even get in to the challenges involved getting the developing (ie China and India) down to zero emissions. It's an immense challenge, it would in fact be far easier if we could solve climate change by simply razing the suburbs.

StabbinHobo posted:

it is not at all a coincidence that this breaks down on left/right barriers. buses and trains are shared transit. parks are shared yards. adjacent buildings are shared walls. the solution to climate change is SHARING YOU GREEDY FUCKS.

This isn't wrong.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

StabbinHobo posted:

Now if only I could get a job that paid me enough to afford to move there and live in an apartment building.

pacmania90
May 31, 2010
Just spend 70 percent of your income on an apartment in the inner-city or you're a part of the problem. No, you can't live farther away and pay less for housing because the buses don't go to that neighborhood and it's irresponsible to drive to work.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

pacmania90 posted:

Just spend 70 percent of your income on an apartment in the inner-city or you're a part of the problem. No, you can't live farther away and pay less for housing because the buses don't go to that neighborhood and it's irresponsible to drive to work.

Maybe the problem is a systemic one regarding the way we regulate and subsidize our land use and transportation systems to make car ownership and suburban living vastly more affordable than any other way of life!

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

*only builds enormous freeways and sprawling single family home suburbs for the last sixty years*

"There is no demand for any other type of development!"

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Quote!=edit

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
cue the litany

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
give a nearby intersection or throwaway address for where you work. i will find a 2br apartment you can afford within 1 hour public transit of it with ten whole loving minutes of google and craigslist.

edit: :WARNING: YOU MIGHT HAVE TO LIVE NEAR BLACK PEOPLE :WARNING:

StabbinHobo fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 13, 2017

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

White folks being afraid of black folks is the only reason I can afford to live in a city (and soon, own a house) so if other white folks would keep being terrified until after I've paid off my loans that'd be nice.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

For reference I'm on board with razing the suburbs, I'm just saying it's not the solution to all our problems.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

StabbinHobo posted:

give a nearby intersection or throwaway address for where you work. i will find a 2br apartment you can afford within 1 hour public transit of it with ten whole loving minutes of google and craigslist.

edit: :WARNING: YOU MIGHT HAVE TO LIVE NEAR BLACK PEOPLE :WARNING:

To be fair, an hour commute (assuming you don't mean round trip) is more than double the average US commute. That's a hell of a long time to spend getting to and from work, even if you can do it on a bus or a train.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Relevant Tangent posted:

White folks being afraid of black folks is the only reason I can afford to live in a city (and soon, own a house) so if other white folks would keep being terrified until after I've paid off my loans that'd be nice.

Otoh that's why we don't have effective public transit in many communities because it allows "those people" to use "our services." That was the argument people made in an attempt to remove the bus stops in my neighborhood growing up. And where I live now white flight is why the electric trolley system that used to connect an entire metropolis is laying unused in ruins.

So it is a mixed bag.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if your posts starts with "to be fair" u r denying

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Paradoxish posted:

To be fair, an hour commute (assuming you don't mean round trip) is more than double the average US commute. That's a hell of a long time to spend getting to and from work, even if you can do it on a bus or a train.

I did a 1.5 hour commute each way for a few months. It takes its toll mentally and physically on a person and I cant imagine having to do it for much longer than I did without needing a massive pay raise to move closer. An hour is still way too drat long to commute for what amounts to a net zero or loss when you factor in the drastic rise in housing costs as you move closer to the giant city cores.

Our cities, especially here in North America, are just so poorly thought out that it would takes billions of dollars to make the necessary changes and no one is going to jump on that political landmine sadly.

Also thats assuming people go along with it. Most boomers would rather die than give up their suburban dream home. :smith:

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
dead boomers are a huge part of adressing global warming

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

StabbinHobo posted:

if your posts starts with "to be fair" u r denying

anyone can do it! if you spend two hours per day commuting isn't very convincing is all I'm saying

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Even in North America, the best solution to many problems is vast amounts of people dying. Global super pandemic can't come soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rime posted:

Even in North America, the best solution to many problems is vast amounts of people dying. Global super pandemic can't come soon enough.

Just don't tell anyone at your diybio meeting that and you should be fine. At home DNA printing has come a long way...and pirated CRISPR will be on the market soon enough.