Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh, I forgot to make the closet up north a walk-in pantry. Well, you get the idea.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

This is delightful, more hand-drawn blueprints everyone.

It's scary how close this drawing is to the real thing, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

This is delightful, more hand-drawn blueprints everyone.

I am frightened to share my ideas on the internet.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Yay, bricks! Let's all take a minute to appreciate the beauty of flemish bond:

And here it is in action:

Flemish as in your first photo is also a good candidate for stones in different orientations being different coloured. :)
It breaks up the monotony and highlights the patterning in attractive ways.

Even if you're unable to vary the colours of your bricks, texturing is a technique I've rarely seen in the US but it's so very good looking even in one colour:

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Doctor Butts posted:

So, you're saying that even if TV watching is the main function of the room, I should still hide it with Rube Goldberg mechanisms for no reason at all. That makes sense.
Go through the pictures posted in this thread and count the visible TVs. The pictures with TV's mostly seem to be labeled with less than positive descriptions.

Doctor Butts posted:

I am frightened to share my ideas on the internet.

Seriously! No idea providing suggestions to hide a TV in an interior design thread could be so upsetting. Do what you want with your house. It is a personal choice.

If my posts aren't your cup of tea--ignore me.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

HycoCam posted:

If my posts aren't your cup of tea--ignore me.
Absolutely not. That's not how inclusiveness in this thread is going to work.

If someone posts for help with a design goal, your options are:
1. Help
2. Don't post

Somebody's building a barbecue pit and you're a vegan? Cool, help or don't post.

Somebody's looking for a bungalow and you hate the suburbs? Help or don't post.

Somebody's designing a room around a television set, pool table, model train collection, or sex swing and you're much too good for that sort of thing? HELP OR DON'T POST.

I hope that I've made myself clear.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Hambilderberglar posted:

Even if you're unable to vary the colours of your bricks, texturing is a technique I've rarely seen in the US but it's so very good looking even in one colour:

Yes I'll definitely consider it for my dream house's vaulted crypt

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

model train collection, or sex swing

Thanks for including my design needs.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Baronjutter posted:

Thanks for including my design needs.

I got u fam

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
Finally took some pictures. Here's what our kitchen looks like now, with a picture of the dining room (that does get regular use, thankyouverymuch)

We've got two different possible floor plans. In one, we take that lovely half wall and make it a full counter peninsula with stools looking into the kitchen, plus a 48" island in the middle. The other is to knock out that wall entirely and build a larger island that extends all the way to the edge of the dining room, with stools on the slider side.

That second design has been fleshed out a lot more. The sink and dishwasher would be in the island, and the oven would move to the center of the long counter wall. Fridge stays where it is and the pantry stays as well. We use it 100%. We're also doing all new cabinets, counters, floor, and lighting.

Color wish, we're looking at a medium cherry for the cabinets, a medium/dark green granite for the countertops, and not sure on floors other than tile. Also undecided on backsplash and paint colors.

We do cook a lot, so I want it to be functional as well as nice looking. We plan to be here for another 30 years if not until we die or absolutely have to sell, so this is for us and not selling.

Does all this sounds sane?

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

If someone posts for help with a design goal, your options are:
1. Help
2. Don't post

Somebody's building a barbecue pit and you're a vegan? Cool, help or don't post.

Somebody's looking for a bungalow and you hate the suburbs? Help or don't post.

Somebody's designing a room around a television set, pool table, model train collection, or sex swing and you're much too good for that sort of thing? HELP OR DON'T POST.

I hope that I've made myself clear.
Made yourself clear? You just attacked me on a personal level again--what is wrong with you? You've called me insecure, judgmental, and now the "much too good for that sort of thing" comment. Where are you coming up with this crap? You are projecting some hosed up persona on me all from suggesting methods to hide TVs in response to a question about where to place a TV.

Tell you what--I'm confident I've provided good advice in all my posts. Just as I like to hide TVs for aesthetic reasons. So to do I like use Ignore feature to avoid the mentally unwell and annoying posters on SA. Going to take my advice and bid you adieu.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

You can hide people's posts behind decorative brick walls with interesting bonds.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

HycoCam posted:

Made yourself clear? You just attacked me on a personal level again--what is wrong with you? You've called me insecure, judgmental, and now the "much too good for that sort of thing" comment. Where are you coming up with this crap? You are projecting some hosed up persona on me all from suggesting methods to hide TVs in response to a question about where to place a TV.

Tell you what--I'm confident I've provided good advice in all my posts. Just as I like to hide TVs for aesthetic reasons. So to do I like use Ignore feature to avoid the mentally unwell and annoying posters on SA. Going to take my advice and bid you adieu.

Help or don't post. It's not that hard.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

This topic reminded me of the ciassic Kitchen Counters You Could gently caress On tumblr.

This is pretty much my ideal kitchen layout. Though I don't need an island quite this big.

And this I'm pretty sure was built by someone with an actual loving-on-counters fetish.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

:stare:

Those cabinetmakers were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.

The first one is just your standard "oh ha ha we entertain all the time! See our giant fancy kitchen for entertaining?" kitchen that looks big and fancy with the two sinks and everything but would still be kinda awkward to actually cook in.

The second one... you could have an orgy up there.

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jul 13, 2017

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
When I'm back home I'm going to have to take pictures of my mom's kitchen. It's tiny but remodeled by my uncle specifically for "4'8" woman who bakes several hundred dozen cookies each year." Some parts of the house are just not my style at all, but I love what they've done with the kitchen.

My kitchen makes me sad.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Youth Decay posted:

And this I'm pretty sure was built by someone with an actual loving-on-counters fetish.

I'm the out of place decorative pillars.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I'm the poorly hidden fridge.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

HycoCam posted:

Reading through your posts, you seem generally unhelpful, but otherwise not distracting. And I don't read TB's post as persinally attacking you, either. It seemed to be some advice aimed towards you, and a lot of advice aimed at general lurkers and posters. Your post here is a crazy, CRAZY defensive overreaction that actually shows YOU projecting, through accusation. Vehemently homophobic senator actually being gay, that kinda thing. This post makes you look crazy. Please think about that.

Telling people to just "ignore you" in somebody else's thread is the wrong advice. Instead, change yourself or don't post here. This isn't yours.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Youth Decay posted:

:stare: You could literally put like a queen-size mattress up on there. Presumably with some kind of vinyl covering. You know. For the activities.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Youth Decay posted:

You could hide a childs play fort under that without losing any useful cupboard space. Or a very small panic room. Or that whole end panel could fold down to reveal a secret staircase.

Obv the secret staircase would lead to your sex dungeon, filled with even more and larger countertops.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I'm thinking more slip-n-slide

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Slip n slide down into the sex dungeon.

The camera perspective makes it look like the countertop is as wide as the door frame (complete with...columns) is tall.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

hailthefish posted:

:stare:

Those cabinetmakers were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.

The first one is just your standard "oh ha ha we entertain all the time! See our giant fancy kitchen for entertaining?" kitchen that looks big and fancy with the two sinks and everything but would still be kinda awkward to actually cook in.

The second one... you could have an orgy up there.

See, the first one keeps the work triangle close together and the areas for food storage/prep, cooking and cleanup flow smoothly. A lot of fancy rear end kitchens have the fixtures like 10 feet from each other.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Youth Decay posted:

If the marble is real, it might be for someone super into pasta or pastry making. What are the chances of that really?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
It's like an table where you would carve up a mastodon.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Maybe it's just what I'm used to but I almost prefer a smaller more "cozy" kitchen with a nice tight work triangle. Space is so drat valuable I rather have a slightly bigger living room for fitting my guests. When kitchens get too big everyone just hangs out there. Actually who am I kidding no matter how small they are people end up there like loving Maru the cat jumping into a box no matter how small.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

It's like an table where you would carve up a mastodon.

That countertop dwarfs the tank they used to dissect a colossal squid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Yz_57uadUQ
(Warning: Gross)

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

That countertop dwarfs the tank they used to dissect a colossal squid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Yz_57uadUQ
(Warning: Gross)

IMO dead colossal squid are a poor interior design choice.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That may be but if you drape one over your tv, nobody will ever notice that the tv is even there.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Reading through your posts, you seem generally unhelpful, but otherwise not distracting. And I don't read TB's post as persinally attacking you, either. It seemed to be some advice aimed towards you, and a lot of advice aimed at general lurkers and posters. Your post here is a crazy, CRAZY defensive overreaction that actually shows YOU projecting, through accusation. Vehemently homophobic senator actually being gay, that kinda thing. This post makes you look crazy. Please think about that.

Telling people to just "ignore you" in somebody else's thread is the wrong advice. Instead, change yourself or don't post here. This isn't yours.
Some quality interior design advice right there.

Anyone able to point to me to a good mental health thread where I can ask for some tips on kitchen layouts?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Youth Decay posted:

This topic reminded me of the ciassic Kitchen Counters You Could gently caress On tumblr.

This is pretty much my ideal kitchen layout. Though I don't need an island quite this big.

This would be pretty amazing if they had cabinets on the other side as well, for storing all the stuff that isn't needed as often. But given that they've got a pseudo bar setup going there I'm guessing they didn't do that :(

I once rented a place with a big kitchen with roughly that square footage where the center was just a big void, it feels like this island is at least doing something with the space. I feel like the colors they chose are already out of style though.

Youth Decay posted:

Not even good for loving; the low-hanging lights would get in the way.

Gonna guess that the floor pillars were meant to emulate the doorway pillars to the left, but I just see a great place for my toes to get stubbed.

Also going by the fraction of the neighboring room that's also in the shot, this doesn't look like it really fits in with the rest of the house despite the aforementioned attempts at doing so. Maybe this room used to be something other than a kitchen?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

HycoCam posted:

Anyone able to point to me to a good mental health thread where I can ask for some tips on kitchen layouts?

I'm sure Reddit has something.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

HycoCam posted:

Quit being an rear end in a top hat in this nice thread.

Progressive JPEG posted:

That's what they're into. :q:

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jul 13, 2017

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm using my counterless kitchen wall of stuff to dam the flow of neurotic poo poo posts. That window is just 5cm too high for cheap standard wall cabinets and then my mother-in-law gave us the bigger dish cabinet so we had to put the fridge on the other side :ohdear: I should have put in more outlets!!!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peanut fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 13, 2017

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Progressive JPEG posted:

This would be pretty amazing if they had cabinets on the other side as well, for storing all the stuff that isn't needed as often. But given that they've got a pseudo bar setup going there I'm guessing they didn't do that :(

I once rented a place with a big kitchen with roughly that square footage where the center was just a big void, it feels like this island is at least doing something with the space. I feel like the colors they chose are already out of style though.

Gonna guess that the floor pillars were meant to emulate the doorway pillars to the left, but I just see a great place for my toes to get stubbed.

Also going by the fraction of the neighboring room that's also in the shot, this doesn't look like it really fits in with the rest of the house despite the aforementioned attempts at doing so. Maybe this room used to be something other than a kitchen?
I'm out classed in this thread. I look at that first kitchen and notice some of the finer details--the backsplash work, the lighted crown molding, the rounded trey ceiling, the detailed windows casing, hell all the trim work. That curved crown molding isn't something you see in regular houses. Those are 9' ceilings--the molding used to fill the space between the top of the cabinets and the ceiling--not cheap. And your not going to see cabinets on the front side of bar (42") island--besides looking very strange the practical reason is you'd have people putting their feet all over the doors and pulls. I'd bet there is a nice brass foot rail on the other side though.

The second kitchen--is that from a 2011/2012 This Old House? It sure looks familiar... If it is the kitchen I am thinking about, the couple host cooking parties where they teach techniques and the like. You see the seating on the end--but the two long sides also have seating. With the overhang being wide enough so stools can be pushed completely underneath. The pillars at the end of the marble counter are for support. There should be two or three invisible mounts under the counter as well. Marble and granite are strong--but an supported two foot overhang would snap off eventually. Got to be able to stand on the counters--how else are you going to change the light bulb?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Stolen from the crappy construction thread:

I'm pretty sure those countertops are war crimes.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Quit being an rear end in a top hat in this nice thread.

And again with the personal insults. You stay classy!

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

peanut posted:

I'm using my counterless kitchen wall of stuff to dam the flow of neurotic poo poo posts. That window is just 5cm too high for cheap standard wall cabinets and then my mother-in-law gave us the bigger dish cabinet so we had to put the fridge on the other side :ohdear: I should have put in more outlets!!!

Your fridge confuses me

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

HycoCam posted:

And again with the personal insults. You stay classy!

Please just stop. This thread has one rule, you're breaking it. Leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

YamiNoSenshi posted:

Finally took some pictures. Here's what our kitchen looks like now, with a picture of the dining room (that does get regular use, thankyouverymuch)

[..]
Does all this sounds sane?
Do you have your room measurements with the openings (doors/windows)?