Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
'Nuke plants take forever to build ' is a dumb meme, if the political will exists they can be built quickly. Its excessive safety concerns and political oppisition that's lead to a drop in construction, not technical challenges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
I'm not even talking about the long time breeder reactors take before Nuclear plants can break even, I'm talking about the fact that the truly giant amount of resources that would be required to retrofit the planets electrical infrastructure and avert catastrophic collapse no longer exist.

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

Digiwizzard posted:

I'm not even talking about the long time breeder reactors take before Nuclear plants can break even, I'm talking about the fact that the truly giant amount of resources that would be required to retrofit the planets electrical infrastructure and avert catastrophic collapse no longer exist.

so what is the mystical chimera that will save us from catastrophe or are you just a doom prophet

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Captain_Maclaine posted:

This is the suck zone, endlessly rehashing the same unhelpful garbage is what we do here.

if dems actually started being good I'd stop ridiculing them

Serf posted:

i mean my neighbors are my cousins, and they have a giant house, tons of land, a swimming pool and every one of them has a big truck or a nice car because they made lots of cash logging and trucking. they're racist republican assholes to a one and no one will ever talk them out of it. meanwhile we can barely pay our bills and struggle to keep up on poo poo like food and car maintenance to get to work

there are a lot more people like me than there are people like them

sounds like your neighbors are just fygm dicks, not rednecks

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

gonna laugh when its some other clean source and said like it wouldn't also require a grid retrofit

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Gay Republican Dudes have been around forever, but the party backing one... hmm.

Also he looks and sounds like an rear end in a top hat but he's a gay republican, ofc he does

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

Dairy Days posted:

so what is the mystical chimera that will save us from catastrophe or are you just a doom prophet

There is no mystical chimera dude. There's going to be an enormous depression in the next few years as the oil production declines and then the economy will increasingly get worse before totally collapsing. People will have to learn urban farming because the only alternative will be starvation.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Digiwizzard posted:

There is no mystical chimera dude. There's going to be an enormous depression in the next few years as the oil production declines and then the economy will increasingly get worse before totally collapsing. People will have to learn urban farming because the only alternative will be starvation.

Define few years

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

SKULL.GIF posted:

I would also stifle the free speech of any fuckhead who argues that it's a moral imperative to expand as much as possible, that's a cancerous idea stemming from capitalism. We should live in harmony and equilibrium with our habitat while improving our living standards, not try to exploit as much of it as humanly possible chasing an illusionary idea of a high score.

ditto. honestly, i wish more people thought like us :smith:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Digiwizzard posted:

How much of a fantasy is asteroid mining in this scenario?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Urban farming doesn't work and the 'grid retrofit' for new nuke plants will literally be laying down a couple more lines, adding new power plants is not the catastrophic event you're painting it as.

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

fits my needs posted:

Define few years

A bunch of debt bubbles are almost certainly going to explode by 2019 because every oil company is currently deeply in debt and selling their oil at insane losses. They're going to have to raise their prices to avoid bankruptcy. A poo poo load of financial institutions and businesses will collapse as people quit paying their debts and trillions of dollars disappear from the economy. After that everything starts going into a worse and worse tailspin.

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

rudatron posted:

Urban farming doesn't work and the 'grid retrofit' for new nuke plants will literally be laying down a couple more lines, adding new power plants is not the catastrophic event you're painting it as.

wow this is just too unrealistic, unlike my fantasy depression induced mad max scenario

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Thread is mighty salty.

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

SKULL.GIF posted:

How much of a fantasy is asteroid mining in this scenario?

Since the current amount of successful asteroid mining operations is 0, I rate it as "deeply unlikely".

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

bernie would have won

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Sterilize everybody.

already happening https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/03/11/opinion/sunday/are-your-sperm-in-trouble.html

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Corky Romanovsky posted:

They still use abacus and oil lamps?!?!

Now you're talkin

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
https://twitter.com/BillCorbett/status/885298668286431232

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i think the USG should build a nuclear power plant in every city. gently caress nimby, its in everyone's backyards now

economy of scale + distributed plants (cut down on transmission losses) and pair each reactor with a big battery and have a high tech superconducting smart grid connecting all these plants

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Digiwizzard posted:

The point isn't that the free market works, it's that its already too late. We've already wasted all the resources that would have been necessary for nuclear to have any sort of meaningful impact.
It's never too late for progress

It's only too late for capitalists

I mean unless you got some sort of super energy around the corner here that'll dwarf an actual attempt. If so then GPL that poo poo.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

im glad of it, us being killed by the things we culled and shaped from the environment is fitting

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
store the waste on site and assume in 100 years we'll have figured out waste disposal / reprocessing waste. Also extract uranium from seawater and desalinate the seas on an agricultural/industrial scale, rivers of pure clean water flowing into the desert, enough to remove all the salt from death valley

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

rudatron posted:

There's some important steps involved between Uranium and "laying down more lines" that you're glossing over here. Those also happen to be the most energy intensive steps though, but I'm sure it won't be important. Let's Have A Conversation about how good nuclear power plants will be as no one builds them.

As for Urban farming, sure, it's probably not going to be enough and there'll still be famines, but there isn't really other practical options available. Don't dismiss it out of hand, it helped prevent millions of people from starving to death in Cuba.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Ban fracking now - It's too late!

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

rudatron posted:

'Nuke plants take forever to build ' is a dumb meme, if the political will exists they can be built quickly. Its excessive safety concerns and political oppisition that's lead to a drop in construction, not technical challenges.

Lol

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Where's THORIUM! when you need them?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Baloogan posted:

store the waste on site and assume in 100 years we'll have figured out waste disposal / reprocessing waste. Also extract uranium from seawater and desalinate the seas on an agricultural/industrial scale, rivers of pure clean water flowing into the desert, enough to remove all the salt from death valley

why dont they ever point one of those tunnel boring machines straight down

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

Baloogan posted:

i think the USG should build a nuclear power plant in every city. gently caress nimby, its in everyone's backyards now

economy of scale + distributed plants (cut down on transmission losses) and pair each reactor with a big battery and have a high tech superconducting smart grid connecting all these plants

Baloogan posted:

yes, yes

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
angrily build 50,000+ effective, survivable nuclear weapons, like every big lake in CONUS has at least a dozen warheads in pods and keep electing mad men who scream and twitch on twitter

sometime in the future the president of the united states will stream himeslf playing ivdeogames and screaming into the microphone at n00bs

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Al! posted:

why dont they ever point one of those tunnel boring machines straight down

its called an oil well i think

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Digiwizzard posted:

There's some important steps involved between Uranium and "laying down more lines" that you're glossing over here. Those also happen to be the most energy intensive steps though, but I'm sure it won't be important. Let's Have A Conversation about how good nuclear power plants will be as no one builds them.

As for Urban farming, sure, it's probably not going to be enough and there'll still be famines, but there isn't really other practical options available. Don't dismiss it out of hand, it helped prevent millions of people from starving to death in Cuba.

Rudatron got owned repeatedly by an actual nuclear engineer itf that exposed that literally all he does is gloss over and excuse every economic and technical problems faced by nuclear. It was fun to argue at first and then it just became tedious, like posting at a brick wall.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

I mean the biggest bottleneck is probably that single piece pressure vessels built by a single heavy industry plant in Japan is the only approved design here

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
"The W.H. is functioning perfectly, focused on SpaceCare, Moon Cuts/Reform & many other things. I have very little time for playing videogames" is what the future president of the united states will say while hes speedrunning HL3 or whatever on twitch

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

build a big fuckin foundry and use government dollars to do it gently caress

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

make america great again

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Baloogan posted:

its called an oil well i think

why dont we drop our nuke waste down abandoned oil wells

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
a 3d printing foundary that can print like, saturn 5 rockets just as a warm up

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Lol if you don't think China is getting a shitton of thorium reactors since the earth kingdom is full of that poo poo from mining up all the heavy metals to make our computers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Baloogan posted:

a 3d printing foundary that can print like, saturn 5 rockets just as a warm up

More efficient to forge parts in a press than 3D print. Structural issues.

Presses are just not as versatile as a 3d printer.

• Locked thread