Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ausmund posted:

That's what I'm saying. It's worth trying to understand why they're saying it instead of leaping to a negative conclusion about them.

The two are not mutually exclusive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Who What Now posted:

*leans in close to the mic, lips like a puckered anus quivering with unreleased diarrhea*

Wrong
How so?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
At the very least there are many, many people that I cannot redeem and I'm not going to waste time trying.

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010

Ausmund posted:

Nobody is irredeemable.

True. After all, even Hitler killed Nazis.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Who What Now posted:

At the very least there are many, many people that I cannot redeem and I'm not going to waste time trying.
That doesn't mean they're irredeemable. That just means there are people who don't think it's worth doing.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Groovelord Neato posted:

all of the people that support a guy that ran the most nakedly racist campaign in living memory are definitely racist otherwise they wouldn't have supported him. this concept is very simple to understand.

Throwing minorities under the bus for tax cuts is racist

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Dikkfor posted:

True. After all, even Hitler killed Nazis.
If he was captured alive and imprisoned I think he should of been treated humanely.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would suggest that there are cases where expending the effort to redeem someone at the expense of simply stopping them from acting is wasteful.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ausmund posted:

If he was captured alive and imprisoned I think he should of been treated humanely.

Why?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Ausmund posted:

That doesn't mean they're irredeemable. That just means there are people who don't think it's worth doing.

I'm using irredeemable as shorthand for "I don't think they're worth redeeming". If you think otherwise, go make a thread that I won't read about how you're the kek-whisperer because holy poo poo are your post ITT just the worst.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
My personal principles?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ausmund posted:

My personal principles?

Yes evidently, I mean, can you please explain why it matters whether or not you are humane to literal hitler?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Really though, there's no mode of communication a liberal can engage in with a conservative that won't come off as sounding whiny (if empathetic), or smug (if righteous). Unlike American conservatism which is a political strategy more than it is a philosophy, liberalism and leftism (to different degrees) are a moral imperative. I can't describe to my racist parents why i'm not racist without raising an accusation at them, unspoken or otherwise. I can't convince a rich man why he should pay more of his money forward without implying that he didn't earn his success (he didn't).

So what do you say to these people?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Deified Data posted:

Find out who they hate the most, then calmly explain how their children/grandchildren are going to read about said person under the word 'hero' in 20pt bold type.

If they refuse education, antagonism until they stroke out is probably the kindest mercy you can offer them.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Deified Data posted:

Really though, there's no mode of communication a liberal can engage in with a conservative that won't come off as sounding whiny (if empathetic), or smug (if righteous). Unlike American conservatism which is a political strategy more than it is a philosophy, liberalism and leftism (to different degrees) are a moral imperative. I can't describe to my racist parents why i'm not racist without raising an accusation at them, unspoken or otherwise. I can't convince a rich man why he should pay more of his money forward without implying that he didn't earn his success (he didn't).

I think this is a solid approach
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0Ti-gkJiXc

Gunna go get some dinner. Sorry for making GBS threads up the thread with Jon Stewart. Interesting discussion though. sargon is a crybaby

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

You go out and start trying this on the idiots at kekistan rallies and report back your findings.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm still fascinated to hear why we shouldn't be cruel to hitler.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

This guy went on to say that even if you use this method, you're lucky to succeed in 1 out of 10 cases.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Hell yeah I'd kill baby Hitler

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I'd spike baby Hitler like a goddamn football and do an end zone dance as I was destroyed by a time paradox.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

OwlFancier posted:

Someone has to mop it up and it's not gonna be pretty.

That's all I've got.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Mostly because it would be far more funny to have him in a decent prison whining about how he can't have the latest Mein Kampfbox 360 than going out as a martyr, as with Breivik.

Goering doing the whole "you can't execute me, I'll kill myself" was pretty amusing too given the era.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Mostly because it would be far more funny to have him in a decent prison whining about how he can't have the latest Mein Kampfbox 360 than going out as a martyr, as with Breivik.

Goering doing the whole "you can't execute me, I'll kill myself" was pretty amusing too given the era.

Yeah but you could do that and hook his bollock up to a jumper cable every now and then. I think people might be justifiably angry if hitler had a decent quality of life after the second world war.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Isn't that what they did with Hess? He was captured too early to be part of the actual mass murders, so they just sentenced him to life in prison. Dude lived way longer than they thought, and ended up having a prison just for him after all the other Nazis there died.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I guess I understand what that guy was trying to say? Some people are brainwashed, they aren't true believers per se. Some guy who's political involvement entirely is voting R because he lives in the suburbs of Gadsden, Alabama and that's just how it is and how it's been since forever is different from someone who is an avowed KKK member.

I might be able to have a Bernie Sanders type chat with the Gadsden guy if I make an effort to talk to him. Not going to happen with the Klan member. Making a false equivalency about the merit of the positions, like saying altright guys are most likely all racist is the same as when they say Muslims are all terrorists and refugees are all rapists isn't the way to express this tho

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Cruelty is wrong. That's why we can't be cruel to Hitler.
Also, because he's dead.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Monglo posted:

Cruelty is wrong. That's why we can't be cruel to Hitler.
Also, because he's dead.

My skill at iajutsu is strong and my hanzo steel is razor sharp. Hitler wouldn't feel a thing.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Just chop up hitler's skeleton. Doesn't matter that he's dead. It's like when Mormons baptize the corpses of heathens, but with weeb knife instead of water.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
i'm not inclined to believe that people itt are saying that their political opponents are irredeemable for any reason other than sheer irrational hate at this point

i mean like lol, just listen to yourselves

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

i'm not inclined to believe that people itt are saying that their political opponents are irredeemable for any reason other than sheer irrational hate at this point

Not all Republicans are irredeemable. Many vote R for non-bigoted reasoning, if sometimes flawed reasoning. Many of them can be reached with the right message.

People who identify as the alt right? They are almost universally irredeemable.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I continue to assert that it is not at all contradictory to view someone as a complete piece of poo poo while also thinking they can stop being one.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Throwing minorities under the bus for tax cuts is racist

yeah all republicans are racist but i was trying to meet the guy halfway.

OwlFancier posted:

I continue to assert that it is not at all contradictory to view someone as a complete piece of poo poo while also thinking they can stop being one.

this is true the problem is the person has to want to not be a shithead anymore, it's nearly impossible to try to reason it out of them.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009
if the internet has taught me anything, its that if you punch hitler you become hitler, so you have to make sure to be as nice as possible to him if you meet him thanks

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

My god, it's almost like this is a thread for mockery and jokes, not for serious debate.

Edit:

I'm not joking when I say you're irredeemably stupid, though, because I don't know how many times you've erroneously conflated hardcore kekistanis with your average non-insane Republicans.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jul 13, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Making Hitler jokes is very insensitive to the naive notion of engaging Nazis in good faith, and by not respecting this dude who barged in throwing moral accusations at everyone we are garbage monsters

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Making Hitler jokes is very insensitive to the naive notion of engaging Nazis in good faith, and by not respecting this dude who barged in throwing moral accusations at everyone we are garbage monsters
im sure that these people who believe that sweden is burning to the ground, believe blacks are inherently inferior crime machines, secretly know that Alex Jones speaks truth, and like to wave around "ironic" nazi flags can be swayed with Reason and Logic

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Republicans voted for a guy who:

- called Mexicans "rapists", "drug-dealers" and "murderers"
- wanted to ban muslims
- consistently asserted that the nation's first Black president was born in Kenya

Either you like what this person says, or you don't mind it. And that being the case, it's really, REALLY difficult for one to give such a Republican the benefit of the doubt that they are in fact, not racist.

Pencils R Cool
Feb 16, 2011
Yesterday, a Metalcore band called Stray From The Path uploaded the video to their new song 'Goodnight Alt-Right. Said video can be found here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy-SiZSlmhI. A cursory glance at the comments or dislike bar will tell you one thing, thin-skinned Rationals have thrown their toys out the pram and are currently making GBS threads their diapers at terminal speed.

https://twitter.com/PrisonPlanet/status/885274057406590977

So much for the TOLERANT left

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Wow the last couple of pages went down the toilet.

When someone I knew years ago linked me to a Sargon video, before I read this thread or had much idea about who he was, it was in a conversation of them complaining about immigrants and using him to back up their points. They weren't at the point they would call Hbomberguy or Shaun And Jen cucks but they wouldn't have accepted their arguments or changed any of their opinions. I think for them it was very nationalistic, these people should stay in their own countries, not take jobs and none of their culture should be brought over here. I don't think those opinions will be countered by anything except positive personal exposure to diversity leading to "Hey these immigrants aren't too bad" and a decreased intake of bias pushing media.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Clearly everyone in this thread hates white people and/or mocking YouTube intellectuals

Is every D&D thread like this

• Locked thread