Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Al! posted:

why dont we drop our nuke waste down abandoned oil wells

theres like, water, and poo poo underground under lots of pressure

they put nuclear waste in abandoned mines i think
or they are planning to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

ThndrShk2k posted:

More efficient to forge parts in a press than 3D print. Structural issues.

bitch im printing a spacex rocket an hour stick that in your press and smush it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Baloogan posted:

"The W.H. is functioning perfectly, focused on SpaceCare, Moon Cuts/Reform & many other things. I have very little time for playing videogames" is what the future president of the united states will say while hes speedrunning HL3 or whatever on twitch

Valve is never going to make HL3

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
why dont we burn our excess coal in nuclear reactors

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

Al! posted:

why dont we drop our nuke waste down abandoned oil wells

(1) well injection into deep permeable strata, bounded by
impermeable layers, (2) grout injection into an impermeable host rock, forming
fractures in which the waste solidifies, and (3) slurrying into excavated subsurface
cavities.
Radioactive materials are presently being disposed of worldwide using all three
techniques. However, it would appear that if the techniques were verified as posing
minimum hazards to the environment and suitable site-specific host rock were identified,
these disposal techniques could be more widely used
https://www.iaea.org/inis/collection/NCLCollectionStore/_Public/14/725/14725347.pdf

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

not with that attitude
this is why trump won

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

vALVE Is NeVeR gOinG TO maKe hL3

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

deadgoon posted:

why dont we burn our excess coal in nuclear reactors

what if we rendered humans by the millions into tallow which would then power and light our steamships for generations

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

ThndrShk2k posted:

It's never too late for progress

It's only too late for capitalists

I mean unless you got some sort of super energy around the corner here that'll dwarf an actual attempt. If so then GPL that poo poo.

Don't get me wrong, we're still going to have to fight for a progressive future where people work to provide for everyone, but if you're dreaming of a world where everything is automated and we all get UBIs, I'm sorry to say it's not possible. Even if someone has schematics for a functioning Nuclear Fusion reactor, it's probably too late to retrofit everything.

If anything, you're going to have to fight more than ever in the crisis that are coming up ahead. A big part of Cuba's urban farming success was that the Cuban Govt was open to huge Keynesian programs to train and teach people to produce food. If societies response to the challenges it's facing is to go fascist free market then things are going to be far, far worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O3InwwKnXA

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Baloogan posted:

theres like, water, and poo poo underground under lots of pressure

they put nuclear waste in abandoned mines i think
or they are planning to

those come under fire because of nimbyism.

i never got why they dont just store it in old uranium mines i mean they're already slightly radioactive :shrug:

also MOLTEN SALT REACTOR *clap clap clapclapclap*

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

Digiwizzard posted:

Even if someone has schematics for a functioning Nuclear Fusion reactor, it's probably too late to retrofit everything.

alright dude we get it you are a major pessimist its getting stale

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

you will be dragged, kicking and screaming, into fully automated luxury gay space communism

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Agean90 posted:

those come under fire because of nimbyism.

i never got why they dont just store it in old uranium mines i mean they're already slightly radioactive :shrug:

also MOLTEN SALT REACTOR *clap clap clapclapclap*

i think uranium mines might be a hella no go due to criticality, even if super unlikely.

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Al! posted:

what if we rendered humans by the millions into tallow which would then power and light our steamships for generations

see people itt keep saying theres an insurmountable energy crisis but im just not seeing it

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
has anyone suggested building bunkers yet? i suggest we build bunkers. lots of them.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Darkman Fanpage posted:

has anyone suggested building bunkers yet? i suggest we build bunkers. lots of them.

thats basically how i won any game of starcraft

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
a bunker is just like ur moms basement but ur mom is hoxha

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

deadgoon posted:

see people itt keep saying theres an insurmountable energy crisis but im just not seeing it
There's only a crisis if there's no progress.

They're assuming progress halted by greed.
Problem is greed will be the cause of the progress.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011
Build bunkers then build capacity to go into space. Capitalism can't kill what's escaping catacomb earth.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Why don't we recycle our nuclear waste? Why are liberals all about recycling until they remember atoms?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Why don't we recycle our nuclear waste? Why are liberals all about recycling until they remember atoms?

should be recycled into maga bombs that will be used to carve out massive geofronts under idaho and wyoming

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Baloogan posted:

should be recycled into maga bombs that will be used to carve out massive geofronts under idaho and wyoming
Nah de-weaponize them as fuel in thorium reactors.

Suck as much radioactivity as possible outta them

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
https://twitter.com/pewresearch/status/885326419185807360

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Dairy Days posted:

bernie would have won

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

what kind of moron says that the republican party cares about the middle class or has high ethical standards

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

what kind of moron says that the republican party cares about the middle class or has high ethical standards

Rich person with no ethical standards

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Inspector Hound posted:

Rich person with no ethical standards
God Fearing middle class suburbanites. (Dem and Rep)

God Fearing middle class ruralites and God Fearing Poor Ruralites think all politicians have no ethics.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Baloogan posted:

"The W.H. is functioning perfectly, focused on SpaceCare, Moon Cuts/Reform & many other things. I have very little time for playing videogames" is what the future president of the united states will say while hes speedrunning HL3 or whatever on twitch

lol half life 3 coming out is the least believable part

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Concerned Citizen posted:

Rudatron got owned repeatedly by an actual nuclear engineer itf that exposed that literally all he does is gloss over and excuse every economic and technical problems faced by nuclear. It was fun to argue at first and then it just became tedious, like posting at a brick wall.
dunno what universe you're living in but it's not this one, cuz that didnt' happen

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Digiwizzard posted:

There's some important steps involved between Uranium and "laying down more lines" that you're glossing over here. Those also happen to be the most energy intensive steps though, but I'm sure it won't be important. Let's Have A Conversation about how good nuclear power plants will be as no one builds them.

As for Urban farming, sure, it's probably not going to be enough and there'll still be famines, but there isn't really other practical options available. Don't dismiss it out of hand, it helped prevent millions of people from starving to death in Cuba.
I already mentioned enrichment buddy, and last I checked centrifuges still run off electricity

urban farming doesn't work because it costs more energy than it saves, it only makes sense if land is more valuable than energy, which is exactly the opposite case of what's going to happen in an energy crisis

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Shear Modulus posted:

the kind that votes repub?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/SenKamalaHarris/status/885339983820853253

lmao

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Homework Explainer alt discovered!

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Supposedly it's because of one of the non-proliferation treaties we signed with the Soviets back during the Cold War, but in reality its because we're a country of lazy shitheads who reflexively fear nuclear power even as fossil fuels slowly kill us all.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

So are we Brazil now

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

LA's infrastructure can barely handle the amount of people it has right now. Can't wait to see what happens to the highways when an Olympic crowd descends upon it.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

lol cool another peice of poo poo prestige project

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

gently caress

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
haha suck it socal

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

rudatron posted:

I already mentioned enrichment buddy, and last I checked centrifuges still run off electricity

urban farming doesn't work because it costs more energy than it saves, it only makes sense if land is more valuable than energy, which is exactly the opposite case of what's going to happen in an energy crisis

You are still not grasping the problem. The issue isn't that Nuclear Power Plants have initially low throughput, it's that we have no methods to construct nuclear power plants that don't involve fossil fuels. Every single nuclear power plant has to be subsidised via oil and coal. There is no battery powered heavy machinery mining for uranium. No electric freight trains that deliver this to the plant. No excavators or cranes or cement factories that don't use oil as basic inputs. In theory, we could power these things with just electricity but it's the exact same wishful thinking behind solar forges that can bootstrap continuous production of solar panels without fossil fuels. It works on paper but there are no functioning models of it anywhere. You would have to build this new infrastructure entirely from scratch, and the problem is that oil is projected to decline exponentially each year as demand increases but supply dwindles. Even if every single government in the world saw the scope of this problem and initiated strict and severe rationing, diverting all remaining petroleum reserves to critical functions like agriculture and emergency services while they focused solely on building new nuclear plants, you would still be unable to create enough Nuclear plants to meet demands before everything collapses.

And saying that Urban Farming can't work because it uses more energy is ridiculous, almost every single one of your ancestors had to employ some form of subsistence farming to avoid starving. Plants derive their energy from the Sun. The idea behind Urban Farming/Permaculture is to employ techniques to increase farming yields in a way that can enrich the soil and isn't reliant on petroleum derivatives in order to remain viable. Cuba empirically proved these techniques can scale, and they're already being put to use in places like Detroit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

I've got a masters and I don't think I'll ever see 8k a month jesus gently caress.

Probably depends on how they are calculating this as to whether its accurate or not.

I've got a masters and I didn't make $8k last year. It's terrible out there.

• Locked thread