Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

SKULL.GIF posted:

*gazes upon beautiful acres upon acres marshland*

Well, that was nice. Pave it over, boys! Gotta chase that high score, I'll be damned if the boomers get to keep it

You're at your gooniest and I don't like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://mobile.twitter.com/zaidjilani/status/884979113546715136

:thunk:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

centrism

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Frijolero posted:

And what's your solution besides "Can all y'all please have less children? :hitler:"

For starters? I would tyrannically crush all organized religious action preventing birth control from being easily accessible. Education of women is already happening but spread can be improved. We also need to work on improved healthcare, social safety nets, and a generally better social fabric so people don't feel pressured to have children to provide for them in their old age or to keep them company when all their friends have died

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I would also stifle the free speech of any fuckhead who argues that it's a moral imperative to expand as much as possible, that's a cancerous idea stemming from capitalism. We should live in harmony and equilibrium with our habitat while improving our living standards, not try to exploit as much of it as humanly possible chasing an illusionary idea of a high score.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

RT if you want the republicans to give you a pony

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Medicare for all might cover the spinal transplants that congress' healthcare plan apparently doesn't.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Frijolero posted:

You're at your gooniest and I don't like it.

One guy's literal argument was that we occupy a physically minuscule portion of the planet therefore it's perfectly fine to keep on expanding.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

SKULL.GIF posted:

I already told you the problem isn't just about pollution and waste. Why are you ignoring that, and deliberately trying to make it a racial thing? Do you think people in China or India are perfectly fine with the population numbers in their countries?

More people = less effective representation in government for each individual, more people = more crowded all over the world, more people = more issues with transportation and general transit, more people = less freedom to live your way the way you want to live it.

In China, a huge portion of the population have given up on ever visiting the cool parts of their country simply because there's already so many tourists (Chinese and foreign) there that the experience is miserable and not even really representative. And it doesn't even register that so many people have given up because there's enough that are willing to stick it out that they still get swarmed all the time. Double the population of North America, do you think that won't have any impact on being able to travel to places like Yellowstone and enjoy the natural beauty of the planet we live on? Either the places get ruined by the sheer amount of people there, or they become increasingly expensive to visit in an attempt to try to control attendance.

You think you're already powerless and voiceless in government? That's not going to get any better if you have to compete with twice as many people. Even in a more equal system the more people there are the more expendable any one individual person becomes, that's an unfortunate fundamental.

Or maybe the solution for this is devolution of political power rather than the one-child policy

quote:

Do you think people in China or India are perfectly fine with the population numbers in their countries?
In China? No, because the legacy of the one-child policy might cause the death of Chinese society in a couple generations

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Hey guys I'm an enlightened liberal who is deathly afraid of the majority of people in my country, I've classified them as an "other" and I am 100% convinced that they want to kill me, specifically. I'm the extremely smart and intelligent adult in the room. By the way all loving rurals should loving hang. Yea I'm pretty woke.

Hey guys I just want you to know that everyone who disagrees with me politically in any way is evil and only does things out of totally evil intentions. Also, if they ever say anything that sounds like it isn't evil, don't worry, it's either a codeword for something evil or they're lying to hide their true evil intents.

I have cracked the code.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Tunicate posted:

Hey guys I just want you to know that everyone who disagrees with me politically in any way is evil and only does things out of totally evil intentions. Also, if they ever say anything that sounds like it isn't evil, don't worry, it's either a codeword for something evil or they're lying to hide their true evil intents.

I have cracked the code.

on the other hand, monarch worshipping "centrists" are very evil

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

shut up

shut

up

shut the gently caress up and shut your loving mouth loving forever

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Everybody deserves quality air conditioning. I also think the world is a better place with wild animals in it. So, yes, there are too many people.

Also, someone please primary Tim Kaine ffs.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

What does "income standardized to a household size of three" mean?

ThndrShk2k posted:

Close in the future with more efficient LED Grow lights that can make a vertical building produce multiple times produce using the same land as it would've as a normal farm plot. They can use only a partial amount of the overall energy put into traditional farming (fuel costs, etc.) and be placed in both urban and rural areas as it's just a building. With a controlled environment yields would be bigger and labor would be less.

No, the electricity costs are quite substantial, and likely come from fossil fuels (converting solar to electric and back to light is not efficient). The energy savings primarily come from transporting water through pipes instead of in the back of a truck trapped in lettuce and tomato. Even with efficiency improvements, urban vertical farming will probably only be beneficial for high water content vegetables.

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Everybody deserves quality air conditioning. I also think the world is a better place with wild animals in it. So, yes, there are too many people.

Also, someone please primary Tim Kaine ffs.

I still think we can have both with the right infrastructure and homesteading.

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

One guy's literal argument was that we occupy a physically minuscule portion of the planet therefore it's perfectly fine to keep on expanding.

lol you have a brain disease

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

it actually meant something more like we occupy a minuscule portion of the planet therefore its not really an issue and also most of the problem isn't caused by either group of people largely, but multinational conglomerates viciously profit seeking

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Those people are considered "urban" anyway by the census.

But they self-ID as rural and think of themselves as cowboys because they own a truck and three guns.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

SKULL.GIF posted:

For starters? I would tyrannically crush all

SKULL.GIF posted:

I would also stifle the free speech

Wow great ideas. Keep it up!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Vox Nihili posted:

But they self-ID as rural and think of themselves as cowboys because they own a truck and three guns.

The guns can stay, but the commute to work via car has to go.

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

put a gun rack in the high speed rail carriage :patriot:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Dairy Days posted:

put a gun rack in the high speed rail carriage :patriot:

That would own. Please check your guns before boarding the hyper loop to city 17.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

I've got a masters and I don't think I'll ever see 8k a month jesus gently caress.

Probably depends on how they are calculating this as to whether its accurate or not.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Corky Romanovsky posted:

No, the electricity costs are quite substantial, and likely come from fossil fuels (converting solar to electric and back to light is not efficient). The energy savings primarily come from transporting water through pipes instead of in the back of a truck trapped in lettuce and tomato. Even with efficiency improvements, urban vertical farming will probably only be beneficial for high water content vegetables.
For growing indoors one of the major issues are efficiency in the light itself. With current and upcoming technology they have lights that target the spectrums needed rather than a full blast of glow from more traditional lights. Last year a place in NJ was making organice food for the same cost as it would to get the food from an organic farm in California, so we're at the point where it's viable, and there's plenty of improvements to be made. There's also about the controlled environment to reduce the variables in growing that would give benefits that needs more development as well.

The goal for such indoor operations should be to most efficiently grow the plants, and hopefully they have a bullet of "use as little energy as possible". This would be important for some of the inefficient sustainable power sources, as well as coal fired sources.

The problem with a lot of energy coming from coal is more of a general issue for all sources of electricity and not specifically for indoor growing.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Dairy Days posted:

most of the land is uninhabited and we got this far using only 1/3 of the arable land with laughably bad technique used on most of it BUT LET ME TELL YOU WHY YOU SHOULDNT HAVE KIDS

The Earth actually is overpopulated, but English-speaking countries aren't the ones who need to hear "have fewer kids."

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

call to action posted:

So-called "brown people" don't produce much carbon tho

China and India, the two most populated countries in the world, also produce shitloads of carbon.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

I would also stifle the free speech

:whitewater:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
*rattling home from my IT job in a ford excursion*

*hauling my fat rear end to my gaming rig in 50 degree fahrenheit air conditioning*

*thinking with furrowed brow* the third world...there's too many people and they demand too much in the way of global resources

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

poo poo where in earths readme.txt did they write the explicit maximum population how could we have been so foolish to overstep our bounds

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

GalacticAcid posted:

*rattling home from my IT job in a ford excursion*

*hauling my fat rear end to my gaming rig in 50 degree fahrenheit air conditioning*

*thinking with furrowed brow* the third world...there's too many people and they demand too much in the way of global resources

Air conditioning is a reasonable thing for people to have.

Dairy Days posted:

poo poo where in earths readme.txt did they write the explicit maximum population how could we have been so foolish to overstep our bounds

Here's one of the more simple metrics that show how we're demanding more of the Earth than it can provide:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_Overshoot_Day

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Here's one of the more simple metrics that show how we're demanding more of the Earth than it can provide:

gee its almost as if digging up compressed dinosaur plants isnt sustainable and nobody was arguing that it was in the first place

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

[galaxy brain] instead of changing our ways we should sterilize the browns

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

I've got a masters and I don't think I'll ever see 8k a month jesus gently caress.

Probably depends on how they are calculating this as to whether its accurate or not.

It's median pre-tax household income, so in most cases that's not going to be coming from one income stream. An individual making $100k a year is very uncommon, but a pair of highly educated individuals in their late-20's to early-30's working salaried jobs that earn ~$40-60k each isn't.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Dairy Days posted:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Dairy Days posted:

greetings madame secretary

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
[Drake Looking away, disgusted] Over Population is a problem.
[Drake gesturing enthusiastically, smiling] Over Population is a self-correcting problem.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

[Drake Looking away, disgusted] Over Population is a problem.
[Drake gesturing enthusiastically, smiling] Over Population is a self-correcting problem.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Also like SKULL.GIF was saying, it would be really lovely to have to cut down nature preserves for more farmland or suburbs or megacities; or for places to get so crowded it's a lovely experience anyway. But luckily China's been doing a pretty good job of fixing the problem with their one-child policy which was effective enough they were able to relax it to a two-child policy a couple years ago.

It's worse in India, where the overpopulation is causing more problems and is being met with more drastic answers, like forced female sterilization (only female because they're patriarchal as hell)

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Dairy Days posted:

Didn't you just make a post about how nobody was arguing something?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Only a couple months overshoot a year? That's a relief, seeing how the Earth's been around for a couple billion years, we can just burn through those stockpiles for another billion or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
We all agree that the issues are the same symptoms.

Some of us say that the cause is too many dudes
Some of us say that the cause is too inefficient dudes

Maybe we have too many dudes in specific areas for our level of efficiency?
🤔

• Locked thread