Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Eli Wiggum posted:

did I just watch someone die

Knowing how reinforced those cockpits are he probably wasn't even injured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Hmm yes let's go really fast and move a wheel for hours and call it a sport

Nah man that's like calling competitive eating a sport

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Flikken posted:

No and the car that ran beneath won the race.

Close, 2nd.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Joey Freshwater posted:

Knowing how reinforced those cockpits are he probably wasn't even injured.

You can still get injured, ask Sebastian Bordeaux or James Hinchcliffe.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I am trying to remember what race it was but one time at Martinsville a driver got the front half of his car torn off and still placed well because lol its Martinsville

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Metapod posted:

ESPN has some problems.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Eli Wiggum posted:

did I just watch someone die

For car crashes the weird truth is that the more flippy and insane it looks the safer the crash probably was. The spinning burns off a lot of the energy that would otherwise go into the driver.

Its the ones that don't flip that are scary. Ask Dale.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Drag racing is the poo poo, and unlike most racing, also fun to watch live.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

iospace posted:

Close, 2nd.

Lost a piece of his winglet there too.

Did the cameraman on the other side of the fence get hurt? I can't remember, I know they took him to the hospital to check on him.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Flikken posted:

You can still get injured, ask Sebastian Bordeaux or James Hinchcliffe.

Bourdais's crash was a lot worse than Dixon's (the one I linked). Dixon's was spectacular and lucky, Bourdais's was straight into the wall and broke his pelvis.

Flikken posted:

Lost a piece of his winglet there too.

Did the cameraman on the other side of the fence get hurt? I can't remember, I know they took him to the hospital to check on him.

Yeah, he was fine.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

For car crashes the weird truth is that the more flippy and insane it looks the safer the crash probably was. The spinning burns off a lot of the energy that would otherwise go into the driver.

Its the ones that don't flip that are scary. Ask Dale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Wf0eqXegpk

He's out for the rest of the season, but he's alive (he went on record saying 20 years ago he'd be dead).

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The sports science on eating is fantastically disgusting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9DZmoRY0H4

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Kalli posted:

ESPN has some problems.

ESPN has shown magic the gathering competitions

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Metapod posted:

ESPN has shown magic the gathering competitions

well next you're going to tell me spelling bee isn't a sport nor is cup stacking

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The best is when ESPN starts showing those Canada competitions and it's just bear sized dudes spinning logs and chopping wood with giant axes.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

iospace posted:

He's out for the rest of the season, but he's alive (he went on record saying 20 years ago he'd be dead).

This was the scariest crash I can ever remember seeing live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI9OMx3xc3g

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I went to a Cubs game a couple weeks ago and went and got dinner after and the bar we were at was playing some log rolling competition on ESPN. Two people got on a log that was in the water and they tried to knock the other person off the log by running/spinning the long.

The group I was with actually got pretty into it.

e: like so https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngDGiGYycT0

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

This was the scariest crash I can ever remember seeing live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI9OMx3xc3g

In my professional opinion, he probably shouldn't have hit the wall

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

iospace posted:

Bourdais's crash was a lot worse than Dixon's (the one I linked). Dixon's was spectacular and lucky, Bourdais's was straight into the wall and broke his pelvis.

Yeah, he was fine.

There's a documentary called "Grand Prix: The Killer Years" and the entire thing is one big :stare:

It's a hell of a lot safer now, but back in the day auto racing used to be one of the most dangerous sports out there.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Imagine if you had the playoffs and still let everyone else compete for funsies

Soooo College football?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Oh man I just remembered the time that Tony Stewart poo poo his pants and still won the race

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

a neat cape posted:

Soooo The NBA?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

savage

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Sports are analog/continuous. Games are digital/discrete.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Metapod posted:

Please tell me more about auto racing not being a sport. I don't think I've gotten the hint yet

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Eli Wiggum posted:

Please tell me more about auto racing not being a sport. I don't think I've gotten the hint yet

*opens Wikipedia page*

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

No Safe Word posted:

well next you're going to tell me spelling bee isn't a sport nor is cup stacking

Stacking the cups isn't a sport, it's all about knocking them down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag5JIlOE6as

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
For people who can't figure out why ESPN shows spelling bees and other stuff they deem not a sport, you should probably check to see what ESPN actually stands for.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

swickles posted:

For people who can't figure out why ESPN shows spelling bees and other stuff they deem not a sport, you should probably check to see what ESPN actually stands for.

Enraging Sports Pedants Nationally?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Comic idea Crocodile Dundee watching ESPN during a spelling bee and going "that's not a sport" and then it switches to competitive eating and he's like "now that's a sport"

joke copyright Mel Mudkiper 2017

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Comic idea Crocodile Dundee watching ESPN during a spelling bee and going "that's not a sport" and then it switches to competitive eating and he's like "now that's a sport"

joke copyright Mel Mudkiper 2017 - Copyrighted Paul Hogan.

Referencing a HDTGM revelation.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I went to a bar for the USMNT friendly against Ghana. I asked them to turn it to ESPN before soccer coverage started and drone flying was on. Talk about being embarrassed.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Kalli posted:

Referencing a HDTGM revelation.

Well played

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Dango Bango posted:

I went to a bar for the USMNT friendly against Ghana. I asked them to turn it to ESPN before soccer coverage started and drone flying was on. Talk about being embarrassed.

At least it's racing :shrug:

I can understand the embarrassment though.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
The Scripps Spelling Bee is actually the most important thing ESPN airs.

Unfortunately, it does a terrible job covering it.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Speaking of Spelling Bee's, if you have not seen Bad Words do yourself a favor and watch it!

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Motorcycle racing is most definitely a sport.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Most motor racing is a sport. There was a reality show a little while ago in aus where they brought in legit athletes in Australia from professional sporting codes, rugby union, league, soccer, Aussie rules, couple of iron men and Olympians too and put them through a bunch of tests to find the best athlete.

A super car driver (kind of our NASCAR but they drive circuits not circles) came 2nd.

They keep themselves in top shape and some of those races are loving gruelling. The preparation, talent and work that goes into motor sport is insane at the top level.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

During the Indy 500 intros this year, they did specifically mention the amount of training they do. One of the drivers does Ironmans in his 40s. The pit crews, at least in the US, tend to be former college athletes who weren't able to make the jump to the pros.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Lol auto racing is insanely hard it's most definitely a sport you retards

NASCAR isn't top tier but f1 and rally holy poo poo those are some incredible next level reflexes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Volkerball posted:

Motorcycle racing is most definitely a sport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRWp9rhfS_0

• Locked thread