Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

FMguru posted:

right up there with that rolling stone article about how miami is doomed

:ohdear: oh no! what will happen to Pitbull????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
holy poo poo everyone drives like it's mad max here. how are there not 50 car fireballs every day?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

cis autodrag posted:

holy poo poo everyone drives like it's mad max here. how are there not 50 car fireballs every day?

did you never go to Chicago?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

hobbesmaster posted:

did you never go to Chicago?

been to Chicago plenty. turn signals still mean something there.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

driving there seemed pretty similar to home except that everything happened a bit faster and more dickishly

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

cis autodrag posted:

been to Chicago plenty. turn signals still mean something there.

yeah they mean "hi I'm in your lane"

Bay Area seemed to have pretty typical drivers as larger cities go. twin cities is the only major metro area I've been in where drivers aren't insanely aggressive

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

cis autodrag posted:

lol try driving in LA

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

More like try driving in London. It's exactly that except but with added chaos since the roads aren't a grid.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

qhat posted:

More like try driving in London. It's exactly that except but with added chaos since the roads aren't a grid.

even more hosed up, I hear they drive on the left side of the road

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

mishaq posted:

lol try driving in Boston

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

ThePeavstenator posted:

even more hosed up, I hear they drive on the left side of the road
When I moved to Canada from the UK, driving was ultra weird for the first day or so, as in staying on the correct side is actually really easy, but you end up looking in the wrong mirrors to turn and using the wrong hands for gear changes (if you're part of the manual drive master race that is)

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Better get into 2nd gear for this bend *driver side window rolls down*

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

qhat posted:

When I moved to Canada from the UK, driving was ultra weird for the first day or so, as in staying on the correct side is actually really easy, but you end up looking in the wrong mirrors to turn and using the wrong hands for gear changes (if you're part of the manual drive master race that is)

I've shifted with my left hand before and as a right handed guy: it blows.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

mishaq posted:

lol try driving in LA

yeah its this

LA has a much higher level of driving aggression, and the pnw has less. but thats annoying too cause nobody is used to letting people pass and they keep being "nice" and giving up right of way and loving everything up

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Raluek posted:

yeah its this

LA has a much higher level of driving aggression, and the pnw has less. but thats annoying too cause nobody is used to letting people pass and they keep being "nice" and giving up right of way and loving everything up

also you get more of a mad max feel in la with the deadly combo of insane people + insane traffic + insanely large 14 lane highways

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

as more and more people have moved to the dc area and its become hilariously congested on the few highways we have, id say 40% of drivers now use highway on-ramp merge lanes as passing lanes during rush hour

so now no one lets anyone in because you always have to assume theyre some loving rear end in a top hat trying to get ahead instead of a legitimate person entering the highway

often i see people driving on the shoulder these days as well

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
well that's also because the people in the dc area are The Worst People

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Recruiters, if you're going to message me then you're going to have to be more specific than "C++ developer roles". don't waste my time with a bunch of low paying god awful bullshit

JewKiller 3000 posted:

been there once, that was one time too many

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

qhat posted:

Recruiters, if you're going to message me then don't

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

JewKiller 3000 posted:

*looks at own posting history*

this checks out

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
imagine being the type of person who values power over money edit: everything

now imagine a city full of them

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

some are okay and have actually managed to setup meetings for me with decent companies that if i'd applied independently i probably wouldn't have got, but the majority are just "we have <unspecified> number of roles here, give me your number so i can spend 15 minutes talking about my firm and another 15 minutes talking about some roles which are not at all suited for you"

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
how do you find the okay ones?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

JewKiller 3000 posted:

how do you find the okay ones?

idk i just ignore all the real obviously poo poo roles or any that don't mention specifics

like i'm happy to talk if the role they are proposing seems good and i don't have to do anything else

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
so they also reached out to you via blind email/linkedin contact, just with better research on you beforehand? or did you meet them some other way

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

JewKiller 3000 posted:

so they also reached out to you via blind email/linkedin contact, just with better research on you beforehand? or did you meet them some other way

they reached out on linkedin

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

helicopters for what?

The entire Pacific Northwest coast is going to be totally isolated because every road and power line running across the coast range will be severed by a major earthquake. They'll need helicopters to bring in food and water and/or evacuate the survivors west of the coast range.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Flat Daddy posted:

I mostly punt if I can. since I'm so junior (3yrs) I feel like thats still ok.

have any yall used the Glassdoor salary estimator? is it at all close? it says I should be making 10-20% more depending on if I use my inflated job title or the one I'm probably supposed to have.

keep in mind they have a vested interest in people being upset with their compensation and checking their site and using it to hop jobs

also keep in mind that in their estimate they put your top range in big bold letters and let you discover your median on your own

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ive been getting an unusually high volume of recruiter direct emails recently (7 today and 2-3/day for the last couple weeks, typically more like 2-3/week), this one in particular stuck out as hilarious:

quote:

[...] I wanted to see if you were interested in an Architect Level Ruby role at Man Crates. You have probably heard of them before or maybe you saw Shaq open a Man Crate on TV. They are using Rails on the backend!

Man Crates is not your typical Silicon Valley Startup. They make awesome, bragworthy gifts for men! Each product comes in a wooden crate with a crow bar to open. [...]

going by the website they mainly focus on taking existing stuff and increasing the price by 90%

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Progressive JPEG posted:

ive been getting an unusually high volume of recruiter direct emails recently (7 today and 2-3/day for the last couple weeks, typically more like 2-3/week), this one in particular stuck out as hilarious:

going by the website they mainly focus on taking existing stuff and increasing the price by 90%

men, afraid of self care, buy hammer crates instead of birchbox.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

cis autodrag posted:

men, afraid of self care, buy hammer crates instead of birchbox.

and both are overpriced garbage so the only winning move is not to play

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

helicopters for what?

FEMA projects that nearly thirteen thousand people will die in the Cascadia earthquake and tsunami. Another twenty-seven thousand will be injured, and the agency expects that it will need to provide shelter for a million displaced people, and food and water for another two and a half million.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
I have bad news for you. there ain't gonna be a "Berlin airlift" for cascadia

too many people not enough Cold War brownie points to win

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

OSSPAC estimates that in the I-5 corridor it will take between one and three months after the earthquake to restore electricity, a month to a year to restore drinking water and sewer service, six months to a year to restore major highways, and eighteen months to restore health-care facilities.

On the coast, those numbers go up. Whoever chooses or has no choice but to stay there will spend three to six months without electricity, one to three years without drinking water and sewage systems, and three or more years without hospitals. Those estimates do not apply to the tsunami-inundation zone, which will remain all but uninhabitable for years.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

The Management posted:

no more than 11

don't forget the dozen helicopter/harrier carriers also

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Raluek posted:

yeah its this

Boston is worse than LA. You can't get anywhere in LA, but the percentage of people in Boston actively trying to get you and themselves killed is significantly higher.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
My new favorite hot trend in linkedin are the super political posts by people on what has to be the absolutely worst forum for that poo poo.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

leper khan posted:

Boston is worse than LA. You can't get anywhere in LA, but the percentage of people in Boston actively trying to get you and themselves killed is significantly higher.

in Boston I saw a car drive a whole block down the wrong side of the street because it was frustrated with the traffic on its own side. it ended up as well as you'd expect

I saw a blind man jaywalk

Boston streets are a microcosm of why Boston in general is the absolute worst place in the entire world: the only thing anyone is concerned about is making sure that they, personally, aren't getting the rawest deal, and if the way to do that is to make someone else suffer more, then gently caress it, let's roll down our window and contribute some yelling to an altercation across the street that we were otherwise uninvolved with

I would rather live in the pnw tsunami subduction zone than go back to that hellhole

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

leper khan posted:

well, i havent been to boston, but i will take that as encouragement to keep it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

leper khan posted:

boston is easy to drive in, you just have to spot the safe-travelling-distance gaps and know someone will fill it immediately and without a blinker in ~.25 seconds

• Locked thread