Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Something that people seem to overlook in the whole Brexit thing - Corbyn wants an even harder Brexit than May.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

OldMemes posted:

Something that people seem to overlook in the whole Brexit thing - Corbyn wants an even harder Brexit than May.

Which could screw him over as well.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Labour being confused in general over Brexit is, as I understand it, a large part of the reason they were considered completely hosed until Corbyn decided to spend the leadup to the snap election talking about something else instead

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

i will not tolerate making GBS threads on waffle house

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Panty Saluter posted:

Worst case of the thundershits I ever had came from waffle house. Barely made it to a highway rest stop and my friends waiting in the car swear they could hear the noise from it, no joke.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Worst case of the thundershits I ever had came from waffle house. Barely made it to a highway rest stop and my friends waiting in the car swear they could hear the noise from it, no joke.

this is the chance you take enjoying such finery

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Panty Saluter posted:

this is the chance you take enjoying such finery

I wasn't complaining.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uHWvVo-wzk

I mean, breakfast food AND MMA, all for one low price

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe
I can't believe how many Youtube videos there are of Waffle House employees fighting each other. What do they do, serve vodka in the break rooms?

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Sandpuppy posted:

I can't believe how many Youtube videos there are of Waffle House employees fighting each other. What do they do, serve vodka in the break rooms?

you try working at one, and putting up with both your lovely customers and lovely coworkers

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I wish I could say I'm surprised at the rightwing response, but it's pretty much 100% "two wrongs make a right" arguments here.
Payne is "Democrats too!" Garrison and company are "BUT HILLARY!" Even Don Jr himself was "OTHER people have done it too I bet!"

No one's even trying to defend or justify it, just distract and deflect. That's been the right wing line for months if not years now, so it's just crushing and disheartening, but certainly not surprising. It looks like it's going to be "yeah we did a bad thing but remember that one time a democrat did a bad thing??" from here till the heat death of the universe.

VitalSigns posted:

The President whom, by the way, he draws as an actual skunk when he's not criticizing the press for childish behavior by... reporting on skunk president's constant lying.
"Give Trump a chance" says girl who was punched in the face by Trump. And who has, in the past, loudly denounced Trump, to his face, for making up blatant lies about every possible thing.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Man again it really shows how hosed this country is where our left wing cartoonists look at centrist technocrat monarchists and think "Man I wish he was our president!"

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Duke Igthorn posted:

Low hanging fruit burger
Is it bad that my first assumption was that you'd swapped out the tomato inside the onion ring with goatse?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Phuzzy posted:

you try working at one, and putting up with both your lovely customers and lovely coworkers

While serving lovely food

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Panty Saluter posted:

I saw this post and immediately started wheezing which startled my boyfriend, who then was like "that's so you"

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

achillesforever6 posted:

Man again it really shows how hosed this country is where our left wing cartoonists look at centrist technocrat monarchists and think "Man I wish he was our president!"

I guess I see that cartoon's viewpoint as more "you do it if you want, 'cause we're sure not gonna" and less Horsey being a fan of Macron himself.

Stevoblunt
Mar 12, 2008

achillesforever6 posted:

Monarchist?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

achillesforever6 posted:

I suspect the vast majority of Americans don't know much about Macron besides "he won an election against french Trump"

I sure don't

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

cheetah7071 posted:

I suspect the vast majority of Americans don't know much about Macron besides "he won an election against french Trump"

I sure don't
I knew he was a business loving centrist against a right wing rear end in a top hat who has been a bugaboo in French politics for a long time. That's about it.

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

cheetah7071 posted:

I sure don't

He is basically just every mediocre centrist politician ever. His policies include trying to consolidate even more power in an already-very-powerful French presidency (which is why people call him a monarchist; his own phrase for it is a "Jupiterian" presidency); attacking unions and the public sector, including laying off thousands of public servants; "reducing spending," especially in local/regional government; lowering taxes on the rich while raising indirect taxes on the poor; and everything else you'd expect from a rather uninspiring neoliberal. He is also copping some flack at the moment for suggesting that Africa has "civilisational problems," that France's colonial and post-colonial legacy wasn't so bad, and that the continent might be less hosed if African women didn't have so many babies.

e: added a very important extra word.

The Sin of Onan fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 13, 2017

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

The Sin of Onan posted:

He is basically just every mediocre centrist politician ever. His policies include trying to consolidate even more power in an already-very-powerful French presidency (which is why people call him a monarchist; his own phrase for it is a "Jupiterian" presidency); attacking unions and the public sector, including laying thousands of public servants; "reducing spending," especially in local/regional government; lowering taxes on the rich while raising indirect taxes on the poor; and everything else you'd expect from a rather uninspiring neoliberal. He is also copping some flack at the moment for suggesting that Africa has "civilisational problems," that France's colonial and post-colonial legacy wasn't so bad, and that the continent might be less hosed if African women didn't have so many babies.

Sounds extremely French to me.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

The Sin of Onan posted:

He is basically just every mediocre centrist politician ever. His policies include trying to consolidate even more power in an already-very-powerful French presidency (which is why people call him a monarchist; his own phrase for it is a "Jupiterian" presidency); attacking unions and the public sector, including laying thousands of public servants; "reducing spending," especially in local/regional government; lowering taxes on the rich while raising indirect taxes on the poor; and everything else you'd expect from a rather uninspiring neoliberal. He is also copping some flack at the moment for suggesting that Africa has "civilisational problems," that France's colonial and post-colonial legacy wasn't so bad, and that the continent might be less hosed if African women didn't have so many babies.
The first man to make Trump flinch and he has to be a shithead.:negative:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The Sin of Onan posted:

His policies include trying to consolidate even more power in an already-very-powerful French presidency

It's sort of mindblowing to me that a president would just outright say "yes, I want to make the presidency more powerful" instead of just sorta doing it secretly in the background like American presidents have spent the last century or so doing.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Despera posted:

While serving lovely food

Well here it is, the worst opinion in the thread.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

achillesforever6 posted:

Is it fair to compare Macron to Michael Bloomberg? From what I've heard, that's the best American analogy I know of.

The Sin of Onan posted:

his own phrase for it is a "Jupiterian" presidency)

Disgusting. The correct adjective is "Jovian."

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jul 13, 2017

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

The Sin of Onan posted:

which is why people call him a monarchist; his own phrase for it is a "Jupiterian" presidency

Nah, that's from when he opined that beheading the king did damage to France's soul that never recovered.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Wilcox:

The Australian Liberal party is currently in a struggle to define itself, with conservative members (notably Abbott) saying the party should realign to its traditional conservative roots. Lately PM Malcolm Turnbull, in an acceptance speech for the Disraeli Award in London, talked about how actually the party founder Sir Robert Menzies deliberately chose the name Liberals to avoid the conservative label and Menzies vision was for a progressive party including moderates. These cartoons are about the reaction in Australia to that.

Rowe:

Downes:

Statue is Menzies, guy on the Abbott ball is Tasmanian senator Eric Abetz.

Clement:

Zanetti:

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Where's Pope? The people demand Pope.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Edible Hat posted:

I think he and a few of the Aussie regulars are on holiday. He'll probably be back next week.

edit: He went on break at the end of the sitting of parliament probably hoping everything would be quiet locally and then instantly two major parties imploded into vicious shin-kicking.

Trapezium Dave fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 13, 2017

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's amusing/interesting/slightly frustrating to me how all the UK cartoons featuring May being incompetent in the last couple of days seem to also have Corbyn there doing such dreadful things as... Not helping his political opponent in her mad quest to destroy the country or assisting her in saving her career and reputation, and usually put him in a more sinister position than she is. (Except for the Brexit ones, which have him supporting her, but that actually makes sense and isn't nearly as disingenuous.)

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Edible Hat posted:

Here, have Pope talking about Pope.

http://www.abc.net.au/insiders/content/2016/s4691401.htm

Apologies in advance for the lack of asking for the fangs.

Roland Jones posted:

It's amusing/interesting/slightly frustrating to me how all the UK cartoons featuring May being incompetent in the last couple of days seem to also have Corbyn there doing such dreadful things as... Not helping his political opponent in her mad quest to destroy the country or assisting her in saving her career and reputation, and usually put him in a more sinister position than she is. (Except for the Brexit ones, which have him supporting her, but that actually makes sense and isn't nearly as disingenuous.)

I didn't see these as sinister. If anything, it makes it look like he's playing Road Runner to her Coyote. I thought that, given the tone of british politoons, laughing at your opponent as they humiliate themselves was a good thing. The Independent up there looks like "Hah, Corbyn sure has made May look like a complete idiot, hasn't he?".

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 13, 2017

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Good Ol' Chip Bok posted:

New York’s Mayor flew to Hamburg to join the G-20 antifa protesters. His comrades were doused by water cannon as they threw smoke bombs and bottles at German police.

Earlier in the week a member of de Blasio’s own police force, Miosotis Familia, was assassinated in New York while sitting in her car.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

As always, Bok's not quite smart enough to realize that announcing that you're anti-antifa kind of makes you pro-fa.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

skeleton warrior posted:

As always, Bok's not quite smart enough to realize that announcing that you're anti-antifa kind of makes you pro-fa.
Nah, the usual retort for that is "they can call themselves whatever they want, it doesn't make them that!" Which of course ties into accusations that anti-fascists are the real fascists.
It's dumb, but the argument should be on merit more than name, because it's the same argument other and much more flawed groups use. "You're against 'pro-life'? You realize that makes you ANTI-LIFE, right??"

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

The Sin of Onan posted:

He is basically just every mediocre centrist politician ever. His policies include trying to consolidate even more power in an already-very-powerful French presidency (which is why people call him a monarchist; his own phrase for it is a "Jupiterian" presidency); attacking unions and the public sector, including laying off thousands of public servants; "reducing spending," especially in local/regional government; lowering taxes on the rich while raising indirect taxes on the poor; and everything else you'd expect from a rather uninspiring neoliberal. He is also copping some flack at the moment for suggesting that Africa has "civilisational problems," that France's colonial and post-colonial legacy wasn't so bad, and that the continent might be less hosed if African women didn't have so many babies.

e: added a very important extra word.
Was this the same thing Le Pen was saying in her election speeches too? God the world is full of shitheads.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

achillesforever6 posted:

Was this the same thing Le Pen was saying in her election speeches too? God the world is full of shitheads.

Take solace in the knowledge that we live in the waning days of civilization and the rich will burn just like the rest of us.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

The rich will be safe in their gilded bunkers in New Zealand and eat all the keas.

On this same note, First Dog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Thank you, Andrew Marlton, that did nothing but help.

• Locked thread