Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

Your first mistake was putting Patches on Rikku instead of a Muscle belt or something, anything, else to make her more durable. :eng101:

She already had 6500 hp, I wanted to shore up her SPR/DEF!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Don't forget you can always go here and play with builds.

http://www.ffbedb.com

gently caress doing math on my own.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

CyberLord XP posted:

Okay, have less impact then.

For most content it doesn't matter so run Excalibur and get a little boost from Orlandeaus and when you run into the trials where you need to gear out then you do that. It's not that big of an issue but Excalibur is going to be a lot more useful because then you can switch between gearing around light or water, but if you get StQ then you can't do anything with Light.

Between Genji Blade and Apocalypse there's other options for gearing than grinding out a Save the Queen; that's a loving waste at this point in the game.

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

PaybackJack posted:

Splitting elements only matters if something has resists in which case you should be switching gear to avoid that element anyway.

learned this the hard way today when i finally grabbed my genji back off lasswell, replaced excal on tidus, and then tried to carry my farming mooks through the mines event and got stonewalled on round 2 by that drat mind flayer with no options but to abandon the run.

thought splitting elements was gimping me against him but it turns out it was the only reason tidus was damaging him at all.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I finally ran into a gold bomb during the FFXII event! Oh boy, it barely added 1k mog king currency to my pay out! This event blows.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

Nuebot posted:

I finally ran into a gold bomb during the FFXII event! Oh boy, it barely added 1k mog king currency to my pay out! This event blows.

Yeah, I'm not sure why they even bothered putting up the regular list of stuff. I've gotten all the tickets and gear/materia, and now I'm going to grab the cheap 6 star awakening stuff I'm low on. But after that I'm considering just saying gently caress it and spending all my NRG on TM farming. gently caress everything else in the King's shop.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I have run the event about 30 times and gotten like 8 golden bombs, are they supposed to be rare?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Peachfart posted:

I have run the event about 30 times and gotten like 8 golden bombs, are they supposed to be rare?

The bugs are the actual prize unit. The bombs are not that rare. The miracle run is getting a bug and a bomb in the same run

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
So I've started running the event a little more now that I have 3x Vaan plus Rasler. Are there any token spending priorities that aren't immediately obvious?

I bought all the rare summon tickets right away. I'll eventually grab all the event specific equipment. Aside from that I'm thinking I'll just buy all the cheap 6* Awakening materials so I can bump up a few more characters.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The bugs are the actual prize unit. The bombs are not that rare. The miracle run is getting a bug and a bomb in the same run

I've done that once ever and it was on a run where I forgot to swap from my Mog killing team to my Mote farming team. :negative:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

BGrifter posted:

So I've started running the event a little more now that I have 3x Vaan plus Rasler. Are there any token spending priorities that aren't immediately obvious?

I bought all the rare summon tickets right away. I'll eventually grab all the event specific equipment. Aside from that I'm thinking I'll just buy all the cheap 6* Awakening materials so I can bump up a few more characters.

If you have a specifically strong character with strong enhancements you should start stocking up on crysts. I'm at the point that I'm fine purecryst wise for both my eileens but I still need a whopping 12 power giantcryst for the second eileen. If the particular encounter lets me put my own finisher then I need to get tidus 24 loving giant crysts and 8 purecrysts.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 13, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Cao Ni Ma posted:

There are bugs? I've seen one bomb. I didn't know bugs existed.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Yeah, Thunderbugs. I didn't know they could appear with the golden bombs though! (but I've seen two or so bugs with my moogle killing team too :negative: )

For prizes, it's pretty boring fare. Exclusive equipment, tickets, star quartz, 6* awakening mats, crysts. The gear feels more suited for newer players which isn't bad but it isn't exactly exciting rewards. I'm still doing runs because I've got an army of Vaans and a Rasler so I might as well try to get some crysts but I'm not sure how long that'll last before I quit and go back to TM farming.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Is any of the event equipment even worth it?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
When it's good, the vest will be very good - 50% fire resist is a fuckload. That + Ifrit makes a unit literally fire immune.

The dagger also gives +dodge and grants Wind attribute to attacks and the rod gives +holy to attacks, so they also have uses.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The only one that probably isn't worth it is the Zodiac Spear and even then, it's 130atk for someone whom you don't have a dual wield (or nice shield) to use. I haven't bought it yet. :shrug:

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
All of the equipment is decent this go around. 130 ATK spear, even two-handed, is decent for new players. The dagger gives dodge and is wind-element for things like Gilgamesh's trial. The Rod is Holy for people like Ace. And the Vest is a +10% Armour with +50% Fire Resist where that matters.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

The Adamn Vest is a source of fire resistance +50% that also isn't heavy armor. I'd definitely pick it up for it's price as it might come in use later, or if you haven't cleared the Dark Espers trial.

Zwill Crossblade is the strongest non-TM dagger, wind elemental has it's uses like sealing Chupon's sneeze in the Ultros trial, and it gives +5% evade for whatever that's worth. Not bad at all but daggers aren't very exciting weapon types. e: It's a +25 ATK +5% dodge weapon over the vault-locked Air Knife too which is the next best non-event weapon that's also wind elemental. /e:

Holy Rod is better than the elemetal rods. If you missed the Zyrus Draco Spike extravaganza it's a good weapon for a second caster after the Wizard Rod from the Surging Menace trial. After that it's getting into useless / weird niche territory like if you need a holy elemental weapon besides the Rune Blade and don't have other TMs or event weapons.

Zodiac Spear is a super strong spear except where it's two handed. It's prime new player material but loses its luster once they get to dual wield / double hand build for units. It's also stronger than Jean's Machine Gun++ for that bit of TM comedy.

Scrublord Prime fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 13, 2017

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Office Thug posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure why they even bothered putting up the regular list of stuff. I've gotten all the tickets and gear/materia, and now I'm going to grab the cheap 6 star awakening stuff I'm low on. But after that I'm considering just saying gently caress it and spending all my NRG on TM farming. gently caress everything else in the King's shop.

It really feels like someone said "look we're giving away too much as it is. Scale the rest of it back." The raid rewards have a big old pile of poo poo to pull from in 1/2* turtles and cacti. The Mog king currency is way lower than it was from the previous event and they even watered down the daily log in rewards, excepting the 11 pull ticket at the end. Like I said before it's just tonally very wrong.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
Get all equipment every time always.

Except for the stuff that's obviously geared towards new players like sub-40 ATK non-element weapons. But even if you just bought every item all the time, you would be making the right decision 90%+ of the time. Even those weird 10% mixed stat materias turned out to be hella useful with Expeditions.

dangerous.hotdog fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 13, 2017

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
Re: Zodiac Spear value - https://www.reddit.com/r/FFBraveExvius/comments/6mufrr/tip_gl_buy_zodiac_spear_if_you_can/

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

HE'S NOT A REAL GOON, SAM!

Can I keep his head as a souvenir?

Say, why is it ticking?
Wow, I finally got 100% of the characters in a banner. Guess I'll hoarde the remaining 6000 cost tickets until Friday.

(This will never happen again, I just know it.)

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

If you have a specifically strong character with strong enhancements you should start stocking up on crysts. I'm at the point that I'm fine purecryst wise for both my eileens but I still need a whopping 12 power giantcryst for the second eileen. If the particular encounter lets me put my own finisher then I need to get tidus 24 loving giant crysts and 8 purecrysts.

Good to know. I've actually got Aileen at level 100 slooooooooowly working toward her TMR. I'll have to look into her enhancements and figure out what I need for those.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Are you sure that a snap decision about numerical values wouldn't be better?

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Scrublord Prime posted:

The Adamn Vest is a source of fire resistance +50% that also isn't heavy armor. I'd definitely pick it up for it's price as it might come in use later, or if you haven't cleared the Dark Espers trial.

This is SUPER useful if you combine it with Equip H. Shield or any other source of +50% FR.

100% FR + Regen + Fire Weapon + Auto Limit (or Ignorance) = smack ifrit overnight for LB Gains.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

dangerous.hotdog posted:

dangerous.hotdog posted:

dangerous.hotdog posted:

This. This. and more THIS. There will come a time when you'll wish you had that one piece of gear for whatever reason and you don't because you decided you didn't need the event gear.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

I completely forgot the adaman vest was there, probably because I already got it. I'll probably grab the zodiac spear, but still not convinced on the crossblade.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Update on that last batch of enhancements on the JP side: The only one worth writing about is Meliadoul's, which puts her on the same level as 9S. Shellbust Stab and Hellcry Punch get upped to 250% damage and 50% debuff, plus her blessing gains a partywide 15% damage reduction and a regen effect for 5 turns and her passive gains a large abount of DEF/SPR and doubles the MP refresh rate to 10%. All of this takes her from otherwise mediocre to fairly upper tier, and the cost in crysts is pretty reasonable. Only problem is, by the time this all comes around, she'll be seriously outclassed again. Kinda like Tactics. :v:

PS: Jake isn't as powerful as the other CG characters. His limit break is a ridiculously powerful finisher, but it reduces his DEF/SPR by 99% for a turn, making sure anything will oneshot him without full tank protection.

His cutscene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP0EBB7dU94

Varance fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jul 13, 2017

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

PaybackJack posted:

This. This. and more THIS. There will come a time when you'll wish you had that one piece of gear for whatever reason and you don't because you decided you didn't need the event gear.

I still kick myself a little for not getting Survival Edges.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
Is anyone else having major connection issues the last hour or so?

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
yeah it's been disconnecting a bunch

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I still kick myself a little for not getting Survival Edges.

Same, I passed on Survival Edges and Winged Saint and with seemingly every update I say to myself "Boy I wish I had either of those!." Ugh

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

I need some goon whales on my new account! 154 021 039

Feel free to drop my old account if you need to.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I beelined for the Crossblade so I could add Rem to my Fohlen/Reberta elemental chains.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
After sitting on 20 Draco Spike moogs since the event I finally got a Zyrus, yay 20 more inventory slots.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
Dual Ashe is my current favorite "gently caress Arena" team setup. Use the magnifying feature if you're on an Android, buff the party, and just Spark Chain 2 heaven's Fury for ridiculous unavoidable damage. I'm only rank 49 with garbage equipment, nullify stone Moogle materia, and 3 Mag +10% materia, and I'm wrecking Rank 100+ teams on my first turn.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
Why oh why did I pick this year of all years to swap from Android to iOS.

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."
Finally got sparky unlocked for my olive to use, and I'm kinda shocked at how much more ATK she has compared to every other Olive on my friend list. Goddamn.

Nowhere near the 1000 level the ultra meta folks will have but hell I'll take a 700+ atk character on F2P any day.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Used all my mog raid tokens. 2247 units. Send help.

It's only worth it because I set up a macro to sell off all the turtles, and will probably just sell the lower rarity exp fodder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Skyridge posted:

I completely forgot the adaman vest was there, probably because I already got it. I'll probably grab the zodiac spear, but still not convinced on the crossblade.

The crossblade is hands down the best weapon in the event. Buy it right now.

McSpankWich posted:

Same, I passed on Survival Edges and Winged Saint and with seemingly every update I say to myself "Boy I wish I had either of those!." Ugh

Also passed on Winged Saint. :(

ZarathustraFollower posted:

Used all my mog raid tokens. 2247 units. Send help.

It's only worth it because I set up a macro to sell off all the turtles, and will probably just sell the lower rarity exp fodder.

Use the smaller cactuars on extra units for expeditions. You don't need to evolve a bunch of stuff to 5-6 stars but it never hurts if you can spare the mats.

• Locked thread