Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Personally I don't like random encounters at all and wish everything was more like Chrono Trigger where you only fought dudes you saw.

This is one of the reasons I really like XII.

XIII kinda does the same thing, but breaks the flow by still having you go to a separate screen for battle. Fighting on the world map / dungeon screen without a transition makes it so much more smooth and enjoyable. But that transition is 'classic'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

solution: make the game more difficult so that you have to do things other than attack
even in a difficult system there will be times where you want to just attack or have some other course of action set up. Like even in an SMT game or Etrian Odyssey or whatever you probably fall into, for example,

Protag: Strongest physical attack skill
Demon 1: Buff everyone's attack/defense, otherwise strongest physical attack
Demon 2: Strongest Magical Attack
Demon 3: Media/Diarama

If you have this plan of action set up, and only need to change it when the circumstances of the battle change (such as a party member getting ko'd or hit by a status effect, or the boss changing forms), I don't really see the difference between letting you set this up to be an automated course of action until you tell it otherwise and having to mash x to go through each action indvidually even if you want to do the exact same thing you've been doing for the past seven turns. It's impossible to make a turn-based combat system where every single turn requires a unique course of action.

edit: also chrono trigger's system is worse than random encounters because it's basically scripted random encounters, in other words in a random encounter system there's a chance you won't get into the same fight seventeen times while you're running back and forth between rooms trying to figure out the dungeon, while in chrono trigger it's guaranteed you'll get into the same fight seventeen times.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Zaphod42 posted:

Persona is another one come to think of it.

Both Digimon and Persona are pretty weird niches though.

Persona 5 is getting 7-digit sales in the West right now, it's not that niche. Digimon Cyber Sleuth is more niche, but still it apparently way exceeded expectations in the West and a sequel is coming.

FF is practically the only JRPG series that's convinced itself that turn-based/menu-based combat is dead, tons of major JRPGs are still turn-based except Tales Of:

Atelier Series
Trails series
Neptunia
Persona
Shin Megami Tensei
Pokemon
Digimon
Dragon Quest (+DQ Monsters)
Tons of turn-based dungeon-crawlers (Etrian Odyssey, Strangers of Sword City, Demon Gaze 1/2, Dungeon Travellers, etc. etc.)
and of course objectively the best JRPG series: Mario and Luigi

Then we've got the Western CRPG renaissance of the past few years, a fair few of those have been turn-based as well (or real-time with pause). Hell Divinity: Original Sin sold like gangbusters for a game of that type, got a console port, and that game's all tactical, complex turn-based combat that's pretty tough as well.

Zaphod42 posted:

Do you think a remake of FF7 that had the exact same combat system as the original (well, improved but the same base design) would actually be popular now and Square is making a mistake changing it?

Yes, I legitimately don't understand that choice at all. Lots of people in the various FF communities are upset about it.

If they'd kept it turn-based, they'd have kept the traditionalist/turn-based fans happy and the ARPG people would've shrugged and gone 'welp it was always that way before, so what did I expect?' The idea it wouldn't sell stacks of millions of copies without action combat is nuts too, the sheer hype around this thing will be enough to make it fly off the shelves.

Not that it matters really, since it's never going to be finished :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im glad the ff7 remake is action-based, ive already played a turn-based ff7. it was called ff7. if i ever want to play an atb version of ff7 at any point in my next 60 years of life, i can go play a game called ff7. id rather a remake that actually changes stuff and is a noticeably different game than just ff7 but with ps4 models instead of ps1 models. one actually contributes something, the other is just a facelift.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Just give FF7r the 13 battle system.

And SMT games, especially ones with press turn, are more tedious to me than other JRPGs since not doing the optimal thing which is literally the same thing over and over results in you dying instead of very minor attrition. It also means boss fights are even more dull since my first run is a purposeful suicide to figure out what the hell theyre weak against and then restart with the correct demon setup.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I just hope the combat of FF7 is good. I want good enemy encounters, don't get that from regular FF7.

Also Zodiac Age: I just beat Elder Wyrm and that battle is a real test on whether or not you get the game's systems. It requires relatively complex gambits, ailment healing abilities, and exploiting the enemy's weakness.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Well I've finally got Ashe and Penelo and now I have no idea what to do with them.

I was thinking Black Mage/Monk and Red Mage/Time Mage.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

thorsilver posted:

and of course objectively the best JRPG series: Mario and Luigi

The rest of what you said is cool, but this one I dunno. Mario and Luigi is so boring and easy :( Mario RPG and Paper Mario and Thousand Year Door were fantastic and very accessible JRPGs but man M&L just doesn't do it for me.

thorsilver posted:

Not that it matters really, since it's never going to be finished :v:

The fact that its episodic means we could actually see the first little bit of Midgar before we die :cheeky:

Barudak posted:

Just give FF7r the 13 battle system.

Yeah that'd be an interesting hybrid. I think I'd rather see it go full XV myself but I'd be down for a XIII style version too.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Endorph posted:

im glad the ff7 remake is action-based, ive already played a turn-based ff7. it was called ff7. if i ever want to play an atb version of ff7 at any point in my next 60 years of life, i can go play a game called ff7. id rather a remake that actually changes stuff and is a noticeably different game than just ff7 but with ps4 models instead of ps1 models. one actually contributes something, the other is just a facelift.

If you want to play a game that is different than ff7, why not just play a different game then? Why play a game that isn't ff7 but has the exact same plot and characters? You're definitely in the minority on this opinion, case in point: no one has ever ragged on any of the Pokémon remakes for still having the same turn-based combat as the original games. Facelifts are good because there's also room to improve core elements about the game that an additional fifteen years of game development have given insights to. Later versions of Final Fantasy I having MP systems instead of DnD spell charges. International sphere grid. Zodiac job system. There's tons of room for improvement in FF7 without turning it into an action game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean, they probably will also be rewriting a lot of FF7. I am interested to see what they do with that. I play games that aren't FF7, and the FF7 remake isn't FF7. Nobody gets mad about film remakes because they're shot using different cameras.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i made vaan a samurai, balthier a white mage, and fran a machinist. apparently this is SUB OPTIMAL but it's too late now

dunno what to dual class them with but i guess i'll find out later

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

A remake of FF7 isn't going to be the same as the original FF7 anyways just because of presentation alone. Big budget games are so different now than they were 20 years ago.

EDIT: Ah Endorph beat me to the point.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Mega64 posted:

Of course, why have randoms at all other than "pad out gameplay" and "give opportunities to try out new gear/abilities" but that's a whole other question and I'm about to go to sleep so gently caress that.

I guess a detailed discussion on it isn't ideal right now, but for a quick thought on this, maybe "tradition"? I'll admit I don't know of any RPG that has all the traditional systems but doesn't have any normal random encounters and is all boss battles (I guess it'd be the Shadow of the Colossus of rpgs?).

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Okay, it's a factor in determining post-fight exp bonuses. The ranking basically doesn't matter for half the game, since most battles are over pretty quick once you figure out what job combo the game wants you to be using for a certain area.

It is in no way so essential as to justify a loving enrage mechanic. If I wanna eat a lovely score and just get a win, that's my loving prerogative.

"Speed doesn't matter for the game, what's the point?"

"This game is putting a time limit on my battles, telling me that speed matters, that's really dumb"

It really feels like you're trying to pull the argument in both ways and I can't tell how it's bothering you.

Let's flip the argument around and let me ask you a question. Let's say that we're taking FF13 and it's systems as it is right now. What would you add to its mechanics that would make speed "a major element of the combat, enough to be made so central to certain bosses" but not use time limits?

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It's not a matter of raw difficulty, it's a matter of balance and care. It's about considering what enemies are arranged together and how they interact.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

FFIV and FFIX are similar but in a different direction, as they're highly linear games that lock your party choices for significant portions of the game. This helps maintain player power, preventing you from getting too strong and just stomping every boss; it also allows the designers to know exactly what skills you can use against what bosses, and build them accordingly.

This is...exactly what FF13 does too? :psyduck:

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

corn in the bible posted:

i made vaan a samurai, balthier a white mage, and fran a machinist. apparently this is SUB OPTIMAL but it's too late now

FF12 is easy so it will never matter, just pick fun classes. Balthier is the worst Machinist in the game because his attack animation with a gun is the slowest but if you think that's gonna stop me you are mega wrong. Fran and Ashe are going to be my very strong girl power squad and Bash is going to be team heal-dad while Vaan and Penello get stuck with utility duty so I can pretend they aren't real. Haven't decided on any specific classes other than Machinist though

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Endorph posted:

I mean, they probably will also be rewriting a lot of FF7. I am interested to see what they do with that. I play games that aren't FF7, and the FF7 remake isn't FF7. Nobody gets mad about film remakes because they're shot using different cameras.

I think this thread already went through an argument about remakes and stuff a while ago, but basically the other argument is: not all remakes have to be so radically different either. Look at Nintendo's remakes (OoT, MM, SF64, pokemon remakes), the Dragon Quest remakes, or the new Crash remakes* and you'll see good example that you can do remakes while keeping the core gameplay the same. A remake can go in either direction, basically.

If you want to argue "Well FF7 is a larger budget so the standards are different", it is true that generally these other remakes aren't as high of a budget so there's no real data to go in either direction for this. The Crash remakes are new so not much data out there yet but the early signs point to the game selling well.

*Worth noting that despite Vicarious Visions PR, those games are pretty much remakes by normal video game definitions. The line between remakes and remasters is in general blurred anyways.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in9fg7Vhmw0

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Do you think a remake of FF7 that had the exact same combat system as the original (well, improved but the same base design) would actually be popular now and Square is making a mistake changing it?

Turn-based combat is as good as it ever was and I think FFVIIR would do just fine with a more traditional battle system.

( I wonder if I was one of the three?)

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Endorph posted:

even in a difficult system there will be times where you want to just attack or have some other course of action set up. Like even in an SMT game or Etrian Odyssey or whatever you probably fall into, for example,

Protag: Strongest physical attack skill
Demon 1: Buff everyone's attack/defense, otherwise strongest physical attack
Demon 2: Strongest Magical Attack
Demon 3: Media/Diarama

If you have this plan of action set up, and only need to change it when the circumstances of the battle change (such as a party member getting ko'd or hit by a status effect, or the boss changing forms), I don't really see the difference between letting you set this up to be an automated course of action until you tell it otherwise and having to mash x to go through each action indvidually even if you want to do the exact same thing you've been doing for the past seven turns. It's impossible to make a turn-based combat system where every single turn requires a unique course of action.

edit: also chrono trigger's system is worse than random encounters because it's basically scripted random encounters, in other words in a random encounter system there's a chance you won't get into the same fight seventeen times while you're running back and forth between rooms trying to figure out the dungeon, while in chrono trigger it's guaranteed you'll get into the same fight seventeen times.

See, in SMT though you have other factors. Say you nuke every enemy encounter -- it's not long before you are out of MP and this loving teleporter maze is another two hours long. That sort of consideration plays a part too; random battles and battles in RPGs in general have always served as both initial, repetitive challenge and a longer task of resource management.

Ventana posted:

This is...exactly what FF13 does too? :psyduck:

It does it worse. The game just becomes obnoxious bullshit by the time you reach Pulse.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ventana posted:

I think this thread already went through an argument about remakes and stuff a while ago, but basically the other argument is: not all remakes have to be so radically different either. Look at Nintendo's remakes (OoT, MM, SF64, pokemon remakes), the Dragon Quest remakes, or the new Crash remakes* and you'll see good example that you can do remakes while keeping the core gameplay the same. A remake can go in either direction, basically.

If you want to argue "Well FF7 is a larger budget so the standards are different", it is true that generally these other remakes aren't as high of a budget so there's no real data to go in either direction for this. The Crash remakes are new so not much data out there yet but the early signs point to the game selling well.

*Worth noting that despite Vicarious Visions PR, those games are pretty much remakes by normal video game definitions. The line between remakes and remasters is in general blurred anyways.

The Crash remake also did make some changes; it added a playable character to games where it didn't exist before and tweaked the script slightly to account for that. It also removed the most iconic Crash feature, obliterating your disc drive life-time recommended usage limit.

What I will say though, is the FF7r is absolutely in line with the Pokemon remakes, where those remakes overhaul the hell out of the core mechanics, scripts, locations of items and pokemon, and bolt on newer game features that didn't exist previously. Having FF7r pursue a battle system more in line with the last 5 mainline entries in the franchise is completely identical, its just Final Fantasy as a franchise has made some really big changes in how its games work since FF7 came out nearly 20 years ago.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

See, in SMT though you have other factors. Say you nuke every enemy encounter -- it's not long before you are out of MP and this loving teleporter maze is another two hours long. That sort of consideration plays a part too; random battles and battles in RPGs in general have always served as both initial, repetitive challenge and a longer task of resource management.

Starting with, like, Raidou Kuzunoha SMT games have been showering you with ways to regenerate MP or passively recover it easily so even for that franchise that isn't the case or where their design is headed.

quote:

It does it worse. The game just becomes obnoxious bullshit by the time you reach Pulse.

he game is very well tuned for your party's skill set and levels and even Pulse, at least missions 1-14 which is the intended cap on your side-mission cap, are designed also around this because the game made the post game content balanced around the final unlocking of skills you get by beating the game.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 13, 2017

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Barudak posted:

Starting with, like, Raidou Kuzunoha SMT games have been showering you with ways to regenerate MP or passively recover it easily so even for that franchise that isn't the case or where their design is headed.

Have you played any SMT games other than Raidou because this seems to be a very misinformed post

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jul 13, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Pretty sure I didn't make that post. I've never even played Raidou Kuzunoha!

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

thorsilver posted:

:same:

We already had an ARPG spinoff of FF7 (Crisis Core), I'd be fine with another side-story/spinoff with KH-style Nomura action. But FF7 itself was a turn-based game and should stay that way, IMO. It's part of the game's identity for a lot of people. Plenty of ways to modernise it and add QoL features without changing it wholesale into an action trilogy of doom that'll never be finished.

Let us not all forget the first attempt at an ARPG spinoff of FF7 which was Dirge of Cerberus. What a classic, well-received, and well-accepted entry into the series that one was right guys?

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 13, 2017

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Have you played any SMT games other than Raidou because this seems to be a very misinformed post

Both SMTIV's are broken the moment you get enough app points to get the MP regen walk, SP Regen from the Takemi in P5 which admittedly takes longer, and whatever it was in Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE because I don't remember ever running out once.

It's not all the games, but its a consistent trend-line of making it easier to manage that replenishment and providing options to do so in dungeon.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Zaphod42 posted:

The rest of what you said is cool, but this one I dunno. Mario and Luigi is so boring and easy :( Mario RPG and Paper Mario and Thousand Year Door were fantastic and very accessible JRPGs but man M&L just doesn't do it for me.

I was exaggerating slightly, but Mario and Luigi games are well-written, funny, and the turn-based combat with timed button presses and minigames is cool and fun. They're no more easy than your typical JRPG. Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story are easily in my short list of favourite JRPGs ever. The others aren't as good but are still better than most JRPGs IMO. I'm with you on those other three Mario RPGs, they're also fantastic.

quote:

The fact that its episodic means we could actually see the first little bit of Midgar before we die :cheeky:

Yeah maybe we'll see it the same year Half-Life 2 Episode 3 comes out. What a year for gaming 2077 will be

quote:

Yeah that'd be an interesting hybrid. I think I'd rather see it go full XV myself but I'd be down for a XIII style version too.

Please no more XV. If they must do single-character control hack-n-slash at least get Platinum on board and make it actually good.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

If you want to play a game that is different than ff7, why not just play a different game then? Why play a game that isn't ff7 but has the exact same plot and characters? You're definitely in the minority on this opinion, case in point: no one has ever ragged on any of the Pokémon remakes for still having the same turn-based combat as the original games. Facelifts are good because there's also room to improve core elements about the game that an additional fifteen years of game development have given insights to. Later versions of Final Fantasy I having MP systems instead of DnD spell charges. International sphere grid. Zodiac job system. There's tons of room for improvement in FF7 without turning it into an action game

:same:

We already had an ARPG spinoff of FF7 (Crisis Core), I'd be fine with another side-story/spinoff with KH-style Nomura action. But FF7 itself was a turn-based game and should stay that way, IMO. It's part of the game's identity for a lot of people. Plenty of ways to modernise it and add QoL features without changing it wholesale into an action trilogy of doom that'll never be finished.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

:laffo: at Trials. At level 15 I have two characters with Sword of Kings. Anticipating smashing through the rest of the game.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I never gave FF12 a fair shake on PS2 and bought The Zodiac Age on a wild hair tonight-- is there a good guide for the job system/what to give each party member?

I just made Vaan a knight and would like to have some guidance before I get too far in and gently caress myself on these irreversible choices (if that's even possible).

Does a guide for this new version even exist yet? The hardcover Prima guide is $24 on Amazon right now, I enjoyed having those nice guides for other games before.

e: apologies if this is well-tread ground

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

thorsilver posted:

And also Square's first attempt at an ARPG addition to FF7, Dirge of Cerberus. You didn't forget about that beloved and well-received entry to the franchise, right? You did? Hmmmm...

Soul Glo posted:

Does a guide for this new version even exist yet? The hardcover Prima guide is $24 on Amazon right now, I enjoyed having those nice guides for other games before.

I promise I'll answer your question but with a story first; I hated FF12 when it first came out as well. I thought everything about the game was too obtuse. Maybe a year after it came out, I got back into it and followed a powerleveling guide to hit level 35 before leaving the first town. From there, I went to a bunch of areas I wasn't supposed to be able to get to, got high-tier gear, and fought bosses you weren't meant to see for over a dozen hours of normal playthrough time, and I ended up enjoying the game way more. Eventually, years later, I saw a developer interview where they said they intentionally wanted to make things about the came confusing and obtuse so that way players would share the things they learned online and help one another learn more about the game, and thinking about the way that I had experienced the game myself, that really struck me as an incredibly forward-thinking aspect of designing a game. My favorite game of all time is Xenoblade X, not because it in itself is an inherently perfect game, but because of the amount of fun I had getting in on the ground floor and posting my discoveries online and having other people try out the things I had done, building upon them, and the entire community was learning more about the game through our shared experience. FF12 was really one of the first games to pioneer that sort of experience, where a game is so massive and complex that it can only be truly explored and catalogued through a group effort and that's why I think it's one of the most important games of its time.

So, is the guidebook good? Yes, in that it contains a vast amount of information. It has maps which are very important and will tell you the conditions of spawning specific enemies and the odds of specific treasure chests appearing and what will be in those chests. What the guide won't tell you is how early you can get to these areas or when a good time to spawn these special monsters to steal their gear is or what's a good way to cheese this enemy far earlier than you're intended to beat it if you're into going off the trail and doing some gear exploration of your own. From what I've heard, most of the treasure drops are the exact same as FF12INT, so all that info is still relevant if you don't want to pay for it.

In terms of jobs, if you have a Knight, Samurai is a great pair with it since Katanas use both Strength and Magic, and Knight/Samurai both give you a nice magic stat in addition to plenty of strength. If you want to flip it, Samurai complements Knight very well since Knight gets access to Excalibur, a holy weapon, and samura can equip a set of robes that buff your holy damage by 50%, so neither class has to feel like its only purpose is to buff the stats of the other and they each get a chance to shine. Here's a guide to a bunch of class combinations that also do a good job of explaining the synergy so you can take that info and apply it yourself if you want to make your own combos
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/191202-final-fantasy-xii-the-zodiac-age/75477310

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jul 13, 2017

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Soul Glo posted:

I never gave FF12 a fair shake on PS2 and bought The Zodiac Age on a wild hair tonight-- is there a good guide for the job system/what to give each party member?

I just made Vaan a knight and would like to have some guidance before I get too far in and gently caress myself on these irreversible choices (if that's even possible).

e: apologies if this is well-tread ground

I dug around and decided on this:

That said the consensus is that some classes pair well together but the game is designed to not be overly punishing.

that said I totally redid my save when I found out that not-dragoon was not-dragoon because jump isn’t a thing and I was crushed that my fran dragoon plan didn’t have legs :saddowns:

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Barudak posted:

What I will say though, is the FF7r is absolutely in line with the Pokemon remakes, where those remakes overhaul the hell out of the core mechanics, scripts, locations of items and pokemon, and bolt on newer game features that didn't exist previously. Having FF7r pursue a battle system more in line with the last 5 mainline entries in the franchise is completely identical, its just Final Fantasy as a franchise has made some really big changes in how its games work since FF7 came out nearly 20 years ago.

I guess this is one fair way to look at it, though considering each FF after X is it's own system versus Pokemon systems that are more iterative, I don't quite agree it's as close as you say it is. Unless "being completely different IS the point" is what you mean, which would make sense though would still make me sad.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

YOURFRIEND posted:

Hi hello. I need help with FFX-13 Lightning Returns. I really want to like the game, but I don't understand it at all. Firstly, the plot: i have no idea who any of these idiots are and I hate them and their stupid names. The setting is neat, nobody dies of old age even if it's kind of inconsistent I like how bleak and weird it is. Is there like someplace I can go to read a summary of the previous two games? I am not playing those dumpster fires. Absolutely loving refuse.

I thought I was doing okay on the combat for a minute, on the surface it's really simple. You just hit dudes with the things they don't like while they are attacking and then they enter a stagger state and you can wail on them. The problem being that if you hit them while they are attacking you loving DIE due to the fact that they are attacking and if you don't get them in a stagger state you've just lost a bunch of health for no reason. The things that put them in stagger seem really inconsistent. Sometimes I can get it on an enemy and it'll be a really easy combat then other times I just cannot get it to trigger no matter what and it's a loving slog vs. the exact same type of enemy. I thought I was doing ok until I got to this loving graveyard and these little gargoyle dudes just gently caress my poo poo up. They use aero and whatever and conveniently there's a bangle that gives 50% wind resist HALFWAY THROUGH the loving graveyard. In most FF games I could just grind until I was strong enough to kill gargoyle pals, but in this one there is apparently no way to get stronger other than just mastering the game mechanics. Which I think I am too old and slow to do.

The combat seems really fun and frentic, I like switching between different ability things on the fly, being able to put this serious woman in cat ears or novelty crowns cracks me the gently caress up and the setting is intriguing, but I cannot get the hang of the stagger mechanic which seems integral to the entire thing. Help me, please. This has been my final fantasy dissertation

E: ALSO, ALSO. Is there any way to exit the game that isn't alt+f4? that poo poo is retarded.

Here's the number one tip I can give you: don't fight the gargoyle dudes. I'm serious. You can just run away from any monster that appears and you lose nothing for it. Standing and fighting, on the other hand, risks losing time and resources. The only reason you should fight random monsters is if you want something from them: item drops, ability drops, or EP.

If you actually do want to fight them, you can only stagger them with lightning attacks. Magic lightning attacks are more effective, and even more effective while the enemy is casting. So if you have one schema with Thundara and one schema with Sparkstrike, you can stagger them really quickly.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Uhlans are less Dragoons and more 'Spear guys that can cast some offensive magic'. Probably more along the lines of Cid or Kimahri than Kain or Freya.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

YOURFRIEND posted:

Hi hello. I need help with FFX-13 Lightning Returns. I really want to like the game, but I don't understand it at all. Firstly, the plot: i have no idea who any of these idiots are and I hate them and their stupid names. The setting is neat, nobody dies of old age even if it's kind of inconsistent I like how bleak and weird it is. Is there like someplace I can go to read a summary of the previous two games? I am not playing those dumpster fires. Absolutely loving refuse.

I thought I was doing okay on the combat for a minute, on the surface it's really simple. You just hit dudes with the things they don't like while they are attacking and then they enter a stagger state and you can wail on them. The problem being that if you hit them while they are attacking you loving DIE due to the fact that they are attacking and if you don't get them in a stagger state you've just lost a bunch of health for no reason. The things that put them in stagger seem really inconsistent. Sometimes I can get it on an enemy and it'll be a really easy combat then other times I just cannot get it to trigger no matter what and it's a loving slog vs. the exact same type of enemy. I thought I was doing ok until I got to this loving graveyard and these little gargoyle dudes just gently caress my poo poo up. They use aero and whatever and conveniently there's a bangle that gives 50% wind resist HALFWAY THROUGH the loving graveyard. In most FF games I could just grind until I was strong enough to kill gargoyle pals, but in this one there is apparently no way to get stronger other than just mastering the game mechanics. Which I think I am too old and slow to do.

The combat seems really fun and frentic, I like switching between different ability things on the fly, being able to put this serious woman in cat ears or novelty crowns cracks me the gently caress up and the setting is intriguing, but I cannot get the hang of the stagger mechanic which seems integral to the entire thing. Help me, please. This has been my final fantasy dissertation

E: ALSO, ALSO. Is there any way to exit the game that isn't alt+f4? that poo poo is retarded.

staggering through simply hitting something a bunch CAN work, but make sure the attacks you're using actually build stagger or you'll just hit people a bunch and do poorly. magic is usually better for staggering, and attacking is less effective but uses less AP on average so you can do it to keep the stagger going until your magic comes back, or to use a couple heavy attacks to try and drive them over the top. but also, buy the enemy guides, because they'll let you look at enemy weaknesses and also see any gimmicks they have for staggering apart from just brute force. targeting weaknesses will raise stagger more quickly too. but most enemies have a special way that will stagger them quickly if you can pull it off in addition to the standard things!

e: but also sometimes there's just stuff you can't kill right now and that is ok. to make an open-world possible they have to have tough enemies around in addition to the normal things! if you have trouble in an area try following the main quest of somewhere else. there IS a way to get stronger, it's to get new skills and armors (to do more damage) and do more sidequests (to get more stats). as the days pass more outfits and weapons become available in the stores, and new sidequests will show up.

every sidequest will give you stats; three star sidequests will also give you a new garb. so feel free to prioritize those if you want!

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jul 13, 2017

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ventana posted:

I guess this is one fair way to look at it, though considering each FF after X is it's own system versus Pokemon systems that are more iterative, I don't quite agree it's as close as you say it is. Unless "being completely different IS the point" is what you mean, which would make sense though would still make me sad.

To me there is a very clear and clean progression to the systems used in the FF games, barring FFII which instead has a different series following in its footsteps. That said, I absolutely think FF7r could use a turn based system or ATB system of a kind, but also that if it were to use a turn-based system just based on sheer QoL improvement possibilities it wouldn't be identical.I would posit though that since this is an unabashed remake and not a remaster or some weird thing like that version of Psycho from the 90s which was a literal shot for shot remake, there is very much the direction to make sweeping changes to the game, which will assuredly mean I hate the new story and I will grouse to my children that they hosed it all up.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

frankly i think ff7r should be an action game because ive never seen anyone complaining about the lack of atb that wasn't insufferable

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

they should just copy the berserk ps2 game

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Endorph posted:

frankly i think ff7r should be an action game because ive never seen anyone complaining about the lack of atb that wasn't insufferable

I think they just shouldn't remake FF7 at all because the only reason they're doing it is to cash in on the hype since they've had so many projects in development hell for so long and need to recoup some losses and know they can get away with any decisions they want because they know fans will shovel anything with FF7 in the title down their throats as fast as their wallets will let them

e: before I get accused of being an ATB lover, I actively dislike ATB and would vastly prefer a traditional turn-based system. But I would also prefer Square not hand development of arguably their most acclaimed product of all-time over to a different developer or make the game episodic so haha what do I know right?

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jul 13, 2017

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I think they just shouldn't remake FF7 at all because the only reason they're doing it is to cash in on the hype since they've had so many projects in development hell for so long and need to recoup some losses and know they can get away with any decisions they want because they know fans will shovel anything with FF7 in the title down their throats as fast as their wallets will let them

people have wanted a ff7 remake since that redo of the opening was done for the PS3. its actually good for a company to give people what they want

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

mandatory lesbian posted:

people have wanted a ff7 remake since that redo of the opening was done for the PS3. its actually good for a company to give people what they want

Unless I'm unaware of a huge group of people that think the new FF7 is going to be amazing, I am not exactly sure the finished product exactly lines up with "what they want." I think what people wanted was exactly what the PS3 promo was: a graphically updated version of the game with some small gameplay and balance tweaks. I mean, there's a reason it was pretty much shot-for-shot, and I think if they were to continue that trailer into a FF7 game except a beat-em-up there would have also been a ton of backlash.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
One of the best Final Fantasys just got a gorgeous remaster and this thread is slap fighting over how to do/not do the FF7 remake that won't even be released until sometime in 2027.

Re: ffxii remaster what is the difference between reorchestrated and OST? I am pretty clear on what original is but not sure about the other 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Granstein
May 22, 2006

Accuse children card game celebrities of adultery and I will not shut the fuck up about it. LSV did not cheat on his wife. He found love in another woman's vagina like Garfield intended.

quote:

I would absolutely say that. The last massively popular entry in the series was X. There's been a decline in sales for each numbered title since then, twelve selling better than thirteen, which sold better than fifteen. Some of that you can explain away, since the PS2 user base was so much bigger than the PS3 or 4, but a lot of it comes down to a section of the fan base enjoying the old games a lot more than the new ones. Maybe some of that is people like the settings/characters/etc in the older games more, but at least part of it comes down to gameplay.

I'm actually a fan of most of the newer entries, but I'd still kill for an actual old school Final Fantasy, and being forced to settle for Bravely Default kind of sucks.