Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

2 to 3 more hours

$1300, not worth it. Looking into options.

Sorry to hear that, I suppose you could just stop using the window that doesn't work.

As for the wipers, well, guess turning off the car would be fine?

I see your Linebacker, and raise you an actual 'Line-Backer'!

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Charger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

2 to 3 more hours

$1300, not worth it. Looking into options.

Wee mechanics! For your window thing, call a body shop for a quote, not an actual mechanic. It is probably either a broken plastic gear inside the door or as another poster said, a relay that is also maybe in the door.

Your wipers probably have either a faulty relay which can be easy or a pain to fix depending where it is located.

How comfortable are you with digging around inside your car's dash? Replacing a relay or switch is really simple if you can get to it easily.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Psion posted:

hahahah of course

well, sorry Fraction, you're now a clanner. :rip:

Alright, I will give a more serious answer...

Linebackers are, basically, the all-arounders of a defense. They need to be comfortable rushing forward and hitting a running back in the face, but they also cannot be a liability dropping into pass coverage to mug a tight end on a crossing route. They must have size, but they must also have speed; they must be resilient to damage since they are being hit play after play, but you also want a game-changing big play ability. A good linebacker is somewhat easy to make- a great linebacker is a jewel without price. So, you would probably be hunting for something that looks a bit like this:

Size: Between 50-75 tons. On the low end, these would be speedy outside linebackers that mostly chase down runningbacks and help with pass coverage, while the higher end would be middle linebackers who mostly charge into the line of scrimmage and try to shed blockers.

Speed: Absolute minimum of 4/6, strongly prefer 5/8, 6/9 even better, but jump jets are very optional. Only the biggest linebackers are going to be 'slowish'; most of them need to be fast enough to help from sideline to sideline.

Weaponry: Need to be able to engage at range (the passing game), but their bread and butter will usually be at short range. They also strongly prefer a headcapper to be their Big Play ability.

Armor: They have, have, have to be resilient. I would not trust a linebacker with an XL engine, except maybe some outside linebackers with heavy armor. These are going to be your workhorses, and you cannot afford to have them in the repair bay every other fight.

(Paging John Madden to the white courtesy C3i console...)

Something like an Anvil-5M would be an interesting all-around linebacker; 60 tons, 5/8 movement profile, quite a bit of armor, standard engine, 2 ER lasers and a lot of medium lasers and an ECM suite. I could easily see using it as a 4-3 linebacker; it is not going to be GREAT at anything, but you can definitely build around it. (ed: Also, with heavy armor and an all energy weapon chassis, this is a linebacker you can count on to start every game and not need a lot of time on the bench. It can anchor a defense and do all the less-glamorous work you ask of a defense. Rarely on Sportscenter, but if it ever misses a game, everyone else looks like they do worse!) The MAD-5L makes an interesting middle linebacker; it has the beef and can mess things up, and if you mange heat carefully still has quite a bit of speed to it. A Cronus or a Scorpion would make a very interesting playmaking outside linebacker, too!

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 12, 2017

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Mukaikubo posted:

Speed: Absolute minimum of 4/6, strongly prefer 5/8, 6/9 even better, but jump jets are very optional. Only the biggest linebackers are going to be 'slowish'; most of them need to be fast enough to help from sideline to sideline.

"You know, Al, at the linebacker position, especially on the outside, I really like guys who just have that extra bit of speed. On the inside you want guys who can really go sideline-to-sideline and just come up with that extra half-step to run down a running back, or who can dig deep and find that little something to keep up with a quick TE or even a mismatch against a receiver. And on the outside, you want that quick burst right when the ball is snapped so you can beat the tackle clean and get in after the quarterback."

"That's why I think, uh, you know I think I have really started to appreciate mechs with TSM. You didn't used to have those kinds of guys back when I was coaching the Raiders, but the league is full of them now. These guys, you know, great young players like the No Dachi-2KO, the Ostsol-6D, the Ti Ts'ang, the Excalibur-CS, they all bring something a little different to a team, but they all share that combination of sideline-to-sideline range and the ability to deliver some real decleaters. Sure, sometimes you might need to spell them on third down because of those XL engines, but if you have one of those guys on your defense, or if you're lucky a couple of those guys, your team is gonna go places in this league."

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Plek posted:

It is probably either a broken plastic gear inside the door or as another poster said, a relay that is also maybe in the door.

Unfortunately, it's a Grand Am so everything about it is a pain in the rear end. Major electrical troubles in general, but this is pretty much the reason I've been saving for a new car for the past five years. I told myself I was going to drive it until it started wracking up niggling problems and since it just did that (to an order of $500 more than its trade-in value) I just bit the bullet and replaced it.

On the plus side, I'm now driving a 2016 Chevy Impala. On the down side, this took pretty much all day to finalize so I haven't been able to do any work on the update and I'll need to bring it back in tomorrow for shop touch-ups. My carefree days of casually saving money and waiting for my car to rattle itself apart are over.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Unfortunately, it's a Grand Am so everything about it is a pain in the rear end. Major electrical troubles in general, but this is pretty much the reason I've been saving for a new car for the past five years. I told myself I was going to drive it until it started wracking up niggling problems and since it just did that (to an order of $500 more than its trade-in value) I just bit the bullet and replaced it.

On the plus side, I'm now driving a 2016 Chevy Impala. On the down side, this took pretty much all day to finalize so I haven't been able to do any work on the update and I'll need to bring it back in tomorrow for shop touch-ups. My carefree days of casually saving money and waiting for my car to rattle itself apart are over.

I was in the same boat you were about two years ago, driving an old Grand Prix. One week, I got pulled over THREE TIMES in my work commute for minor issues in addition to the ones I was already tolerating (like there being a problem I couldn't wholly track down in the AC). After the third one, which was just a simple lightbulb replacement of all things, I immediately said gently caress it I'm done with this bullshit and went and bought a 2014 Dodge Charger R/T at the end of the model year.

And let me tell you, having a car you don't have to worry about fiddling with piddly bullcrap every time you get in it is totally worth the money.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The impala is a well-rated car, good job PTN. Not what I would have bought, but that's because I wouldn't buy a full-sized sedan of any stripe. That $1500 quote sounds like total nonsense, though, was that from a dealer or something? Or maybe I guess additional electrical problems that go beyond a window regulator and maybe a wiper relay, even accounting for pontiac parts starting to become more scarce.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Congrats on the new ride PTN! I hope it serves you better than your last.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

On the plus side, I'm now driving a 2016 Chevy Impala.

Gratz on the new ride!

Did you get 'Pine Fresh' or 'Lemon Drop' for the car freshener? (smile)

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

As someone who used to own a Grand Am, that post brought up some repressed memories - mostly of lovely plastic interiors and mysterious electrical gremlins.

Just out of curiosity, is your Impala white? If so, be prepared to see random people slowing way the gently caress down when you come up behind them, while they desperately try to figure out if you're an unmarked cop car.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

LeadSled posted:

As someone who used to own a Grand Am, that post brought up some repressed memories - mostly of lovely plastic interiors and mysterious electrical gremlins.

Those Pontiac Grand Ams and GTs had their own set of problems. A lot of them had lovely transmissions straight from the factory that would fail you in some way before you ever hit 100,000.

E: Speaking as both a mechanic and having owned a '02 GT.

Skoll fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 13, 2017

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Leperflesh posted:

The impala is a well-rated car, good job PTN. Not what I would have bought, but that's because I wouldn't buy a full-sized sedan of any stripe. That $1500 quote sounds like total nonsense, though, was that from a dealer or something? Or maybe I guess additional electrical problems that go beyond a window regulator and maybe a wiper relay, even accounting for pontiac parts starting to become more scarce.

The entire motor assembly failed, plus the actual switches that controlled the windows were shot (including the master switch in the driver's side door)... and I'll be honest I haven't been happy with the way the shocks were making 'crunch crunch' sounds for a while.

I've known I needed to replace it and I've been saving up to do it. I just didn't want to replace it today. I was hoping to get another year or two out of the Pontiac. I only had 60,000 miles on it and it was a 2005. The Pontiac's engine was great but the body was slowly rusting out because the paint sealant had failed (the mechanic was pretty convinced it was a faulty factory coat, and overall irreparable since it wasn't caught early).

They gave me a very generous $800 trade-in on it, which was more than I was expecting. Two years from now I think I'd've been lucky to swing $250, so overall I'm probably ahead of the game. since I'm not $1300 in the hole right off the bat. The Grand Am's engine is in great shape so it'll be worth something to a junker when they sell it at auction later. I'm sure the dealership came out ahead (they always do), but at the same time I don't feel cheated at all. I got a good deal considering what I arrived in.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Trade in numbers are all but meaningless unless they were negotiated after fixing the price on the purchase; otherwise it's just a shell game. So, I can't really say if that's a great trade-in price or not :shrug: Anyway, 60k on a 2005 car should be just broken in, not literally falling apart, that's really gross. Probably that crunching noise was the sound of your suspension starting to punch through the frame, which is, yeah, really expensive and dangerous, so good riddance.

All cars are susceptible to the dreaded road salt demon. Best you can do is hose it off every day you drive in it, but most people can't really manage that, understandably.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Leperflesh posted:

All cars are susceptible to the dreaded road salt demon. Best you can do is hose it off every day you drive in it, but most people can't really manage that, understandably.

Or, live in Sunny SoCal? (smile)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah, I sprang for the rubberized undercoating for that reason. I was careful with undercarriage washes and I am not hard on cars--the worst of the "damage" was done before I bought it and I got out of it before it hit "actual deathtrap" levels. I was entirely prepared for this possibility when I took it in--it's half the reason I went to the dealership in the first place.

Edit: they waived all the diagnosis fees on the Grand Am and I came in under bluebook value. So I'm pretty sanguine about what happened.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 13, 2017

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
The gently caress? a 2005 car with only 60,000 miles is a write off?

drat.

My 93' Volvo's still going strong with 200k+ miles on it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Saint Celestine posted:

The gently caress? a 2005 car with only 60,000 miles is a write off?

It's a Pontiac.

We didn't buy the Pontiac from the most reputable dealer in town, and I've put repairs into it previously for other issues which stemmed from the dealer not disclosing things. The hail damage from a few years ago didn't help the rusting situation any, even though the hail damage was actually what made me aware of the rusting was happening in the first place. :saddowns:

I'm in a much better car, and the Pontiac's bits and pieces will undoubtedly go towards keeping other, much nicer cars running a little longer.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

The entire motor assembly failed, plus the actual switches that controlled the windows were shot (including the master switch in the driver's side door)... and I'll be honest I haven't been happy with the way the shocks were making 'crunch crunch' sounds for a while.

I only had 60,000 miles on it and it was a 2005.

I don't suppose that the car's previous owner lived in New Orleans, eh? But yeah, it always sucks having to replace your car. At least driving a new one will feel good for a while to make up for it.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's a Pontiac.

We didn't buy the Pontiac from the most reputable dealer in town, and I've put repairs into it previously for other issues which stemmed from the dealer not disclosing things. The hail damage from a few years ago didn't help the rusting situation any, even though the hail damage was actually what made me aware of the rusting was happening in the first place. :saddowns:

I'm in a much better car, and the Pontiac's bits and pieces will undoubtedly go towards keeping other, much nicer cars running a little longer.

Sounds like it was a bit of a lemon to begin with. Maybe not quite in the legal sense, but, you know.

The Impala should last a good while with even decent maintenance though so you should be set.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's a Pontiac.

How many heat sinks does it have?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

kingcom posted:

Vees don't need heatsinks unless you really want to put lasers on them.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

kingcom posted:

Given how quickly the air conditioner kicks on, at least 3.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

But what BattleMech are you going to name it after?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Defiance Industries posted:

Naaaw man, he needs a bumper sticker that reads, "My other car is a Leopard Class Dropship"

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

It continually amazes me that "Impala" isn't the name of a 'Mech. Neither is "Mustang", despite both being the name of reasonably non-endangered wild animals that sound cool.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Strobe posted:

It continually amazes me that "Impala" isn't the name of a 'Mech. Neither is "Mustang", despite both being the name of reasonably non-endangered wild animals that sound cool.

And yet we got "Blood Reaper," "Storm Raider" and "Thunder Fox." What the hell.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Strobe posted:

And yet we got "Blood Reaper," "Storm Raider" and "Thunder Fox." What the hell.

My theory is that no one would name a war machine after a prey animal.

Horses and deers get eaten out in the wild.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

CourValant posted:

My theory is that no one would name a war machine after a prey animal.

Horses and deers get eaten out in the wild.

A better theory than most, but we have the Jackrabbit, Razorback, Stag (deer!), Grasshopper, Thunder Stallion (horse!), and Great Turtle, without even counting things that are clearly pests at best like Cicada and Locust. And then we literally have the Baby Fox (Kit Fox).

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Based on PTN's car choice I have no choice but to conclude they're actually Ryan Gosling

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Strobe posted:

A better theory than most, but we have the Jackrabbit, Razorback, Stag (deer!), Grasshopper, Thunder Stallion (horse!), and Great Turtle, without even counting things that are clearly pests at best like Cicada and Locust. And then we literally have the Baby Fox (Kit Fox).

Fair point. I suppose there's also a 'testosterone' factor in selecting these names, as in, how aggressive sounding it is. Razorback is a great name, besides, wild boars are mean with large tusks. They're gore you if you mess with them.

Same thing for turtles; they'll bit your finger off!

Anyways, see, this is what happens to us when we don't get an update! (smile)

Spurge!!! :ocelot:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Impala would be a great name for a light scout though. Mustang needs to be an Aerospace Fighter though.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

PoptartsNinja posted:

Impala would be a great name for a light scout though. Mustang needs to be an Aerospace Fighter though.

Mustang could easily be both, but quads aren't exactly popular and it demands to be a quad.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

It will never not be amusing that Pontiac still exists in Battletech, and they're still making autocannons

Psion posted:

Based on PTN's car choice I have no choice but to conclude they're actually Ryan Gosling

He is almost definitely not the Driver

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Strobe posted:

How could you forget the Crab?

There's also stuff like the Albatross and the Cadaver (worst name for a mech EVER?) but c'mon man, the CRAB!!!!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Given how quickly the air conditioner kicks on, at least 3.

This is actually exactly correct. Your car has a radiator, a condenser for the A/C, and a heater core in the passenger compartment. Unless you affix an aftermarket transmission cooler, that's it (for liquid cooling, anyway).

e. Actually the A/C's evaporator could be considered a "heat sink" in that it sinks hot air passed over it into the refrigerant to warm it up, but we'll agree it doesn't count since it actually makes your car's machinery hotter.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

There's also stuff like the Albatross and the Cadaver (worst name for a mech EVER?) but c'mon man, the CRAB!!!!

Didn't forget, but the list wasn't "unimpressive names" it was "Mechs that share names with prey animals".

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Septicemia's my favorite "bad" `Mech name.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

I will hear nothing bad about the KING CRAB, just so you know. Making fun of the Crab is borderline. :colbert:

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

Septicemia's my favorite "bad" `Mech name.

Hmm, a mech designed by "the Society," eh?

With my deepest apologies:
Clanfeld

George and Jerry are in the mess and George has been waiting to use the comm. While he is turned away for a moment, another man steps up and starts using it. He turns back to Jerry.
GEORGE: Did you see that?
JERRY: That looks like one of those bloodname pilots getting shipped through here.
GEORGE: I should have known! Most of those guys bid the lowest when they were determining who got the brains.
The man finishes. As he walks away, George shouts at his back.
GEORGE [yelling]: You know we are LIVING in the SOCIETY!
Before he can get on the comm, George is yanked to one side by Jerry, who starts furiously whispering at him.
JERRY: Do not mention the Society, you idiot!
GEORGE: I did not! Did I? I said we are living in a society.
JERRY: You said "THE," not "A." You know, the chief characteristic of a secret society is that you do NOT go around yelling about it to people. That is why they call it "secret."
GEORGE [scoffing]: Sure, you are concerned about secrets but you invited KRAMER to join.
JERRY: Kramer is possibly the greatest theoretical quantum physicist of our generation.
GEORGE: Kramer?! Whenever he talks about his work I cannot understand a single word!
JERRY: That is how you know he is good.

(The rhythms aren't quite right without the contractions, though.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Psion posted:

I will hear nothing bad about the KING CRAB, just so you know. Making fun of the Crab is borderline. :colbert:

They're fine mechs and a good look for a machine, but they're also ocean trash bugs.

• Locked thread