Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

hi liter posted:

Sorry if this is the wrong thread (Didn't see a thread for this in the Dorkroom).

I'm starting my own video production business and recently dropped the money to get some nice production equipment. I would like to insure this equipment, but have seen a few different options. One is just renters insurance, which will cover my gear in my house (I believe) but won't cover damage/theft when I'm out working and using the stuff.

Does anyone have any good recommendations? I've found a few insurance companies that specialize in this, but their websites are ancient and I'm an idiot baby goon who doesn't understand the words and jargon they throw around.

Be an adult and call an insurance agent for a quote. As a businessperson, they can be your best friend not just making sure you have appropriate coverage but also making sure you can understand what's covered, why, what's not, and why not.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

hi liter posted:

Sorry if this is the wrong thread (Didn't see a thread for this in the Dorkroom).

I'm starting my own video production business and recently dropped the money to get some nice production equipment. I would like to insure this equipment, but have seen a few different options. One is just renters insurance, which will cover my gear in my house (I believe) but won't cover damage/theft when I'm out working and using the stuff.

Does anyone have any good recommendations? I've found a few insurance companies that specialize in this, but their websites are ancient and I'm an idiot baby goon who doesn't understand the words and jargon they throw around.

The above poster is right. You're gonna want a business insurance policy since you're going to be using it for money. No big deal. Keep your renters insurance too!

qkkl posted:

What's a reasonable price to pay per month for health insurance with a deductible of $3,500?

That is such a can of worms dude. Contact your local navigator in your area. Healthcare.gov

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Be an adult and call an insurance agent for a quote. As a businessperson, they can be your best friend not just making sure you have appropriate coverage but also making sure you can understand what's covered, why, what's not, and why not.

Thanks. I'm a baby millennial dipshit so this whole 'let's start a business' idea is going to be rough. But hopefully fun a lucrative in the long run!

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Pryor on Fire posted:

What are your preexisting conditions? :v:

None, just a healthy young male. I just want to make sure paying more than $10 a month is reasonable.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I know nobody here is a lawyer but I might've gotten banged for passing a school bus with the stop arm deployed - I was heading toward the bus and as I was passing it the arm started to deploy and the bus driver honked at me.

I have no points on my license and no prior record. Assuming the driver has my number and it goes to court, how badly is this going to hike up my insurance rates?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

lol no bus driver gives enough of a poo poo to call the police and narc out your license plates and if they did your local police would laugh and hang up on them I think you need to lay off the chronic your points are fine.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If. Big if, it is registered itd be possibly a minor violation, like minor speeding

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Pryor on Fire posted:

lol no bus driver gives enough of a poo poo to call the police and narc out your license plates and if they did your local police would laugh and hang up on them I think you need to lay off the chronic your points are fine.

Ohhhhh yes they have! It may not be everyone but in Ohio they can get descriptions and license plate numbers and pass that onto police who can press charges.

In the City of Cleveland it's actually a first degree misdemeanor to pass a stopped school bus. ($1000 fine and/or up to six months in prison as well.)

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

If there is no cop or camera seeing this infraction, you're not getting a ticket.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

lol I want to hear the recording of the bus driver on his first ever shift calling the sheriff to report A CRIME! I got passed with the STOP SIGN OUT! I'm sure it's loving hilarious.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What's the deal with the limited or full tort options with auto insurance? I understand what they are and what it means, but I don't get why it effects my insurance. Like, why does it matter what my policy is if the other party is at fault? My insurance isn't the one that's paying that. Is it really just a fee to not waive my ability to file suit for pain and suffering damages?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Its there to ensure the insurance company will pay for you to pursue additional damages. Otherwise you're on your own and they arent going to pay. Remember your own insurance can pay medical not just theirs. Its no fault

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I guess I should've said that I'm in Pennsylvania. Here the law is that if you purchase limited tort and are the victim, then you are barred from seeking for non-economic or "pain and suffering" damages with few exceptions. I don't see how opting out should effect my rates, unless it's just because the law mandates a discount to push people into opting for limited tort.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

BirdOfPlay posted:

I guess I should've said that I'm in Pennsylvania. Here the law is that if you purchase limited tort and are the victim, then you are barred from seeking for non-economic or "pain and suffering" damages with few exceptions. I don't see how opting out should effect my rates, unless it's just because the law mandates a discount to push people into opting for limited tort.

Its not that you're getting a discount its that the full tort costs more since its more coverage.

prezbuluskey
Jul 23, 2007
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
the reason ive understood full tort costs more is that you will most likely get a larger potential UMBI settlement if you put forward a claim.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

I have car insurance through Traveler's, two cars for two drivers. In my policy it contains this:

code:
Vehicles        Use of Vehicle   Mileage 
1. 08 ACURA TL        Pleasure     5,294 
2. 05 ACURA 3.2TL     Pleasure     13,491
I called my agent to ask where those numbers come from and if they affect my cost, because the liability expenses on the older vehicle are higher:

code:
                              08 ACURA TL       05 ACURA 3.2TL
A. Bodily Injury
$250,000 each person
$500,000 each accident               $381                 $434

B. Property Damage
$100,000 each accident                $83                  $95

D1. Uninsured Motorists Bodily Injury
$250,000 each person
$500,000 each accident               $135                 $150
The agent insists that the mileage doesn't matter, doesn't know where it comes from, and says it has nothing to do with the difference in cost of the insurance. She blamed the price difference on the age of the vehicles - the older car being more likely to fall apart and crash I assume.

Can anyone confirm what she said? It seems weird that they would have some random mileage numbers on the policy that don't mean anything.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Some insurers care if you have excessive miles on it. Not all do, and Im pretty sure Travelers doesnt care.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Agreed. Sometimes the cost breakdown isn't truly what it costs per car. Some companies bake in their fees and such into one car. If the vehicles positions on policy were reversed, you might see the cost shift higher on one, and lower on the other, but remaining the same overall.

They could also be rating the highest risk driver against the highest risk car, which would explain what you see as well.

In short, the numbers aren't always the numbers.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Droo posted:

I have car insurance through Traveler's, two cars for two drivers. In my policy it contains this:

code:
Vehicles        Use of Vehicle   Mileage 
1. 08 ACURA TL        Pleasure     5,294 
2. 05 ACURA 3.2TL     Pleasure     13,491
I called my agent to ask where those numbers come from and if they affect my cost, because the liability expenses on the older vehicle are higher:

code:
                              08 ACURA TL       05 ACURA 3.2TL
A. Bodily Injury
$250,000 each person
$500,000 each accident               $381                 $434

B. Property Damage
$100,000 each accident                $83                  $95

D1. Uninsured Motorists Bodily Injury
$250,000 each person
$500,000 each accident               $135                 $150
The agent insists that the mileage doesn't matter, doesn't know where it comes from, and says it has nothing to do with the difference in cost of the insurance. She blamed the price difference on the age of the vehicles - the older car being more likely to fall apart and crash I assume.

Can anyone confirm what she said? It seems weird that they would have some random mileage numbers on the policy that don't mean anything.

This doesn't make sense to me since we're looking at liability coverage premiums. My money's on some kind of discount structure or driver rating that's not obvious from the dec. Same comment for the mileage figures.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

qkkl posted:

None, just a healthy young male. I just want to make sure paying more than $10 a month is reasonable.

Since you're a healthy young male, you can probably get a prime rate if you go through medical underwriting, I would see if any local carriers are selling non-ACA plans. In theory you could be able to get a rate such that your annual premiums + the ACA penalty are less than what you'd pay on the exchange. You'll want to see what all it covers, but since you won't have any maternity claims and have no pre-existing conditions I would imagine what is covered would be sufficient. I can't say what a reasonable price would be since I have no idea what the providers in your area charge among other things, but if you're not eligible for ACA subsidies you'd want to make sure the premiums were at least low enough that it's more cost-effective to buy the plan and pay the penalty than buy an ACA plan.

Reik fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 6, 2017

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I'm going to be moving out of the country soon but leaving my car at my house. I plan to visit every month or so so I would like to keep the car to drive around maybe 6 to 12 times a year.

I currently have a 6 month premium of around $358. Obviously too expensive for a car that is only going to be driving for a low amount of miles. I went to my Geico online account and edited all my coverage options and I was able to bring it down to $158. However, to bring it down to that option, I rejected many of the options so I'm not sure... is there a better option for me?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Probably not. $158 is pretty cheap but I imagine you're running with state minimums and rejecting a lot of coverages you'd want in an accident.

Have you considered just renting a car instead of dealing with the insurance and maintenance on a depreciating asset you'll barely drive?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
IF you absolutely want to keep it, yeah I'd keep comp insurance on it. If you're going to be driving it when you're back home, you'll probably find it more cost effective to just keep the minimum liability on it. Some companies offer "Garaging" insurance, though I'm not sure GEICO does. Look into that by askin em.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Busy Bee posted:

I'm going to be moving out of the country soon but leaving my car at my house. I plan to visit every month or so so I would like to keep the car to drive around maybe 6 to 12 times a year.

I currently have a 6 month premium of around $358. Obviously too expensive for a car that is only going to be driving for a low amount of miles. I went to my Geico online account and edited all my coverage options and I was able to bring it down to $158. However, to bring it down to that option, I rejected many of the options so I'm not sure... is there a better option for me?

Keep comprehensive on it and put a battery tender on it. It's like insurance for your battery, and if your battery tender decides to burn your car (house) down it should be covered under comp. Try cranking your deductibles up if you haven't already, it's your share in a claim but it should lower your up front costs. Let them know your miles are dropping as well, they might be willing to give you a substantial discount. State Farm offers reasonable discounts on low mileage vehicles.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Thank you for your guy's help and advice. In the meantime, I would like to keep the car even though it is probably not the most logical decision. Here are some screenshots I took regarding the coverages I changed, anything that sticks out or you recommend I should not do?

Vehicle Coverage:

Policy Coverage:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Drop collision when you're not driving it. Those deductibles are crazy high and probably doesn't cost much more to put them to something more reasonable. That's how much you pay in a claim. How much is the car worth?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Drop collision when you're not driving it. Those deductibles are crazy high and probably doesn't cost much more to put them to something more reasonable. That's how much you pay in a claim. How much is the car worth?

Around $4,000 - $5,000

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Busy Bee posted:

Around $4,000 - $5,000

You might be the ideal case for those sketchy pay-by-the-mile insurance companies that are advertising heavily on social media right now.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

You might be the ideal case for those sketchy pay-by-the-mile insurance companies that are advertising heavily on social media right now.

Metromile is legit but only serving some states.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
If you are intending to come back to the U.S. and drive your own car after a year, it's probably worth it for you to pay that, since you'll usually get your rates jacked up a ton after going without for awhile.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

If my spouse and I are picking up policies for 20 year term life insurance and stick with the bigger name companies, can you go wrong with one versus the other? Right now my thought is to use one of the insurance quote portals like on nerdwallet.com and go with the cheapest big name company. Is this a decent strategy for selecting term life products or do I need to dig a little deeper and truly get into the fine print on a company by company basis?

Thanks!

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fireside Nut posted:

If my spouse and I are picking up policies for 20 year term life insurance and stick with the bigger name companies, can you go wrong with one versus the other? Right now my thought is to use one of the insurance quote portals like on nerdwallet.com and go with the cheapest big name company. Is this a decent strategy for selecting term life products or do I need to dig a little deeper and truly get into the fine print on a company by company basis?

Thanks!

I mean do some rudimentary research on them first. Make sure there are no small clauses that say "X isn't covered" Or that a premium can increase. Term is generally an alright bet though.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Jastiger posted:

I mean do some rudimentary research on them first. Make sure there are no small clauses that say "X isn't covered" Or that a premium can increase. Term is generally an alright bet though.

Haha I worded that poorly, my fault. I absolutely intend to do some research -- I didn't mean to make it sound like I would purchase something on the fly.

I appreciate the examples of red flags to watch out for. That's really what I was getting at and wanted to validate my (only slightly educated) assumption that term life plans are generally safe bets.

Thanks again!

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I have renters insurance but I don't think it has HO-208 endorsement. That's for like flooding from a sewer or drain backing up. I am paying like $150/6mo now, does anyone know roughly how much a HO-208 endorsement for like $10k or $5k would cost?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Three-Phase posted:

I have renters insurance but I don't think it has HO-208 endorsement. That's for like flooding from a sewer or drain backing up. I am paying like $150/6mo now, does anyone know roughly how much a HO-208 endorsement for like $10k or $5k would cost?

Probably like 8 bucks or so, if that.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Jastiger posted:

Probably like 8 bucks or so, if that.

Oh hell I'll get two of them.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I know the conventional wisdom is "get as much insurance as you can afford," but I think I'm overdoing it at this point. I've got a '99 Subaru that's probably worth about $1500 judging by Craigslist. State Farm has raised my rates by 15% since January. It's now $80/mo for $500 deductible comprehensive. I'm really considering reducing coverage to liability and uninsured motorist. Would that be a bad idea?

I'm sure these two things matter: We do have a second car, so I could get to work until I could get a replacement. And if worst comes to worst, I could buy a $3000 beater Prius/Civic Hybrid/Civic at effectively no cost to myself (company reimbursement).

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Not really considering you'd get at most, 1k, then paying 80 a month for that breaks even pretty quick.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If you feel you can easily replace thr car, then drop the coverage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
My mom is retiring this year. She will be turning 65 on December 29th, and would like to retire around Thanksgiving. Should she just shell out for COBRA for a month, or is there an easy way to get gap coverage of some sort?