Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

Berserkers can, and should, use the Aegis Shield to prevent petrification. You should have one from the moore forest, but if you don't there's another in a chest somewhere if you missed it.

You could also give your party flame rings and spam fireaga on your own team to heal them, but at this point hermes shoes + elixir spam is probably better against Exdeath. The status effects are far more dangerous than his actual hp damage once you can survive Almagest.

Best place to do farming is to give everyone !berserk and to hold up against that pyramid staircase that sends you downwards (but not into spikes). It will be relatively quick to get to the point where you can survive almagest. 3000+ hp for everyone should be fine, but of course more is always better. up to the 40's is easy, 50's not too bad, but Levels start really slowing down at 60+ so don't bother unless you have a ton of patience.

You can also do a similiar trick in the first zone of the cleft of dimensions, but this is a bad idea due to that one hard encounter that can cast cyclone.

As an added bonus you can give someone Thief Knife, one mob in that room in the Pyramid (Zephyrus I think) has Elixir as a rare steal as well as a drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Coco Rodreguiz posted:

What's the best weapon for my blue mage? Excalipoor/gobpunch, chicken knife/gobpunch, Gaia hammer, something I don't know?

Edit: I have Geo/Zer/Ker/Blue

Chicken knife/gobpunch doesn't work, because it uses the base stats.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

agradine posted:

So I'm stuck on NED. My party is Black Mage, Monk, Beastmaster, and Berserker. Playing on Mobile so !Releasing for 9999 to all 4 parts is out.

For most of the game I've been relying on Flame Rings for healing for I don't output enough damage fast enough to get past Tree Exdeath's Meteor spam unless I switch to Hermes Sandals. Beastmaster has been secondary Black Mage, Berserker has Rune Axe and Monk has the Titan Axe, so everybody's capable of dealing around 2-3k per round. NED just straight up wrecks me with Almagest every time.

I've been considering a new strategy where I use Reflect Rings and bounce spells off of my party, which should hopefully get me past Meteor Spam. This will let me ignore the Magic casting part and try to get Break to stick on the Alamgest-caster (last year had Summoner and had success with a similar strategy casting Catoblepas, not sure if Break has any different chance to succeed or not). Also not sure if a Release would help (again, Mobile version).

Did the Mobile version change Tree Exdeath's AI routine? I remember White Hole being fairly rare but he spams that thing at me constantly and it slows my offense way the hell down because it takes three actions to cure and I only get two per round thanks to Berserker.

Might have to grind levels for enough HP to survive an Almagest. What's the best place in W3 to do that?

You're just getting unlucky with White Holes, I think. In the million attempts I had this year with my first party I'd have fights where all he did was WH over and over again and then I'd have fights where he never cast it. Sam is right, always Hermes Sandals. A few other tips:

-The Grand Cross piece is vulnerable to Paralyze, so set the Beastmaster to whipping him. It has a weird kind of script and I think it can be interrupted if he keeps getting paralyzed.

-The Berserker will be locked onto the Physical piece, so just let him go to town. Just concentrate on the Almagest piece with Flares or boosted -agas (I don't remember which does more damage, but don't worry about MP costs since you'll be dropping Elixirs on your BM constantly). You should expect to have to survive at least two, maybe only one if you get really lucky with keeping the BM off the floor.

-After the Tree is down and NED comes out, move the Monk to the back row and just let him heal. If everyone's topped off, he can throw out some Flares, but otherwise he should be chucking and chucking only.

-Save the lamp until the end. You have to burn down Almagest as fast as you can, and the Berserker makes it impossible to spread damage out between Physical and Grand Cross. So there's really no way to spread damage if you want to survive. It sucks having to deal with high level black magic but it's single-target and thus the easiest thing to deal with.

-I'd grind in the Chain Tower on Level Trickers for Elixir drops. You're going to need a lot of them. I'd start the conversation at 25. You don't need to overdo it, though: you're either going to win within 30 Elixirs or you're not going to win at all. I don't know that you need to grind so high that your BM can survive an Almagest, but you do probably want your Beastmaster to be able to so that you have two people to get everybody back up and running.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Coco Rodreguiz posted:

What's the best weapon for my blue mage? Excalipoor/gobpunch, chicken knife/gobpunch, Gaia hammer, something I don't know?

Edit: I have Geo/Zer/Ker/Blue

chicken knife always has an attack of 0 with goblin punch

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Holy crap, what level do I need to be to beat Sol Cannon with Geomancers and Bards?!

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

purkey posted:

Holy crap, what level do I need to be to beat Sol Cannon with Geomancers and Bards?!

Low to mid 20's. Sit in the front row and stab away. Bring a lot of Elixirs

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Well I got it down about 30 elixirs later gently caress this

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

purkey posted:

Well I got it down about 30 elixirs later gently caress this

you could do it without elixers by just letting all but one character who has !hide die, and just alternating hiding from surge beams and shanking it

it takes a while though. regen from mighty march speeds things up slightly by letting you skip a !hide cycle every once in a while

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Bufuman posted:

Went with Chaos for my third run. So far my first two jobs are Ninja and Ranger.

Already this run looks to be a DELIGHT.

EDIT: Possibly spoke too soon, fire job is Geomancer. Save me, earth job!

Earth job is Mystic Knight.

Earth job LISTENED.

AH HA HA HA HA HA.

Well, that clears my worries about whether or not I'll be able to take down Omega (granted, I would've likely been able to do it whatever my 4th job was, but it would've taken a lot more turns and patience and luck). Though now Shinryu might be a concern, what with no method of berserking him (though I can at least Dark Bow blind him). I suppose I'll just have to damage race him, but that's ALSO going to be tricky with no Dragon Lances or Apollo's Harp, plus I'll need Coral Rings so no Haste either.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
you cant wield dragon lances, but you could still !throw them if you wanted to go through the effort of farming up 5-6 of them

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Been busy over the last few weeks but i finally picked up my run at the earth crystal and got my fourth job: a third berserker.

Now running with 3 zerkers and a summoner. :getin:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

Berserkers can, and should, use the Aegis Shield to prevent petrification. You should have one from the moore forest, but if you don't there's another in a chest somewhere if you missed it.

Yeah, the other Aegis Shield is in Istory Falls, which is locked off by Fork Tower. Don't bank on getting the second Aegis if you have more than one berserker.

Instead, you can thief knife extras (albeit slowly, they're the rare steal) off of Gorkimeras at the bottom of the Rift. It's tedious, but not more tedious than trying to beat rugwizard with zerky.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

purkey posted:

Any level, because !Hide completely trivialises the fight.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

fits posted:

you could do it without elixers by just letting all but one character who has !hide die, and just alternating hiding from surge beams and shanking it

it takes a while though. regen from mighty march speeds things up slightly by letting you skip a !hide cycle every once in a while

Forgot about !Hide completely, yeah that makes that fight a joke. Do you even need to leave anyone out there to get hit by the beam? Why not let everyone dodge it? Does it need a valid target to fire and reset its charge counter?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

Yeah, the other Aegis Shield is in Istory Falls, which is locked off by Fork Tower. Don't bank on getting the second Aegis if you have more than one berserker.

Instead, you can thief knife extras (albeit slowly, they're the rare steal) off of Gorkimeras at the bottom of the Rift. It's tedious, but not more tedious than trying to beat rugwizard with zerky.

:getin:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

agradine posted:

Forgot about !Hide completely, yeah that makes that fight a joke. Do you even need to leave anyone out there to get hit by the beam? Why not let everyone dodge it? Does it need a valid target to fire and reset its charge counter?

Nope! Quad !Hide is hilarious and makes a mockery of Sol Cannon.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

KataraniSword posted:

If anyone's wondering, I did the math on this already in the Discord. Thief Knife is 1/4 to !Mug instead of attack, steal is 10/256 to get rare instead of common, so you're 5/512 to get the rare item off any given attack with Thief Knife. It's real bad.

(omniscient with quadzerker is worse)

e: see below, it's actually worse :shepicide:

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 14, 2017

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

IIRC, the Thief Knife has a 1/3 chance to use !Mug instead of attack, but stealing only has a 40% chance of succeeding without the Thief's Gloves. So the chance of getting an Aegis Shield on any given attack is 1/3 * 4/10 * 10/256 = 1/192. Pretty drat bad.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Samuel Clemens posted:

IIRC, the Thief Knife has a 1/3 chance to use !Mug instead of attack, but stealing only has a 40% chance of succeeding without the Thief's Gloves. So the chance of getting an Aegis Shield on any given attack is 1/3 * 4/10 * 10/256 = 1/192. Pretty drat bad.

That is correct.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Chipping away at Adamantoise for 33 damage at a time while he hits you for 450 is terrible though.

gently caress Amadantoise.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Bout to kill NED, anyone know off the top of their head what part is almagest on iOS? My google-fu is weak.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Nasgate posted:

Bout to kill NED, anyone know off the top of their head what part is almagest on iOS? My google-fu is weak.

NED parts shouldn't change across versions? Use this: https://sites.google.com/site/mega64sa/ff5/ff5-boss-guide

tl,dr: the bottom right part

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
There's something wonderful about three time mages and their geomancer buddy just quad spamming !Gaia

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

purkey posted:

Doesn't !gaia always use Wind Slash in that fight too? Which is actually a really good attack.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Man with Hat posted:

Doesn't !gaia always use Wind Slash in that fight too? Which is actually a really good attack.

A mediocre attack that Sol Cannon is immune to.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

dis astranagant posted:

A mediocre attack that Sol Cannon is immune to.

Okay, yeah, if Sol cannon is immune to it, that makes it a mediocre attack.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Okay Final Fantasy Five Friends, I'm at the end with Thief-Knight-Geomancer-Dragoon. Here's what I'm thinking:

Thief: CK mugging
Knight: Two-handed Excaliburing
Geomancer: Aegis Shield item flinging (literally not attacking)
Dragoon: Dragon Lance jumping

Strategy: the Dragoon just keeps jumping on the Grand Cross piece to hopefully interrupt its script so it never casts. I think he only needs to land on him 7 times total and I think he'll reset after 3 or 4 jumps. So if I can get there before the first Almagest I think I'm safe from Grand Cross. The Knight and Thief will concentrate on the Physical piece and we'll just let Almagest do its worst--I'll try to have the Dragoon in the air but he could tank it anyway. If I can get the Physical piece down before the third Almagest, I think I'm golden, but even if it does happen I'll be okay with some luck. No matter what, I'm saving the lamp for the last attack.

Alternate strategies I've considered:

-Giving everybody Jump: try as I might, I have really had trouble getting jump timings down in this run, and trying to queue everybody up to do it right means I'm not attacking when I need to be attacking. The Knight and the Dragoon can take it and you never know, maybe I'll get a block with the Geo (note: I have never, ever seen Almagest get blocked in the three years I've been playing this game and I'm not 100% sure that's not a Matrix change). If I find I can't keep the Thief up off the floor at all, though, I might move her into the back row and have her CK jumping instead of mugging, but that would really slow me down.

-I am debating whether or not to give the Knight Two-Handed. It might be better to fight a battle of attrition with this team instead of try to burn down as fast as I can.

-I could theoretically switch things around and try to burn down Almagest instead of Grand Cross. I think I'm sort of irrationally afraid of Grand Cross after a three-zerk party--it can certainly be bad but it's not nearly as devastating when I can control four party members. But I really don't like randomness. I'd rather know what's coming. If I went this way, I'd probably nuke the Magic part with the lamp right off, then burn down Almagest, then try to balance out Grand Cross and Physical.

So. Thoughts?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

OzFactor posted:

-I am debating whether or not to give the Knight Two-Handed. It might be better to fight a battle of attrition with this team instead of try to burn down as fast as I can.

With that team lineup I'm not sure what else you would use, aside maybe from !Gaia with an Air Knife? But even still, I'd just use Two-Handed, since you can always slip an Aegis Shield on and off as needed (and all you lose is the bonus from Two-Handed temporarily while you have a shield on).

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Give your healGeo an Air Knife just in case, since it's 100% Wind Slash vs NED so its appreciable DPS when free.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Okay, got him. My first attempt we got straight up destroyed (didn't help that the Tree got a Meteor off that killed everybody but the Dragoon who was in the air, so he died and switched to NED while I had three dead) so I went with option number two: kill the back and try to kill Almagest first. I got some good Grand Crosses but there were quite a few times where I barely scraped by. It was a long, long fight. I was trying to keep track of damage but I killed the Alma piece when I got it to where I thought it had 15000 hp left... are we sure Matrix NED isn't different? I feel like getting it off by 5000 or so would not make me question it, but that's a pretty big swing.

Oh well. On to the next run!

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Monk-Black-Beastmaster-Knight with a fifth job. Just to clarify: the fifth job replaces the Earth job, right? So I will replace Knight?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

OzFactor posted:

Monk-Black-Beastmaster-Knight with a fifth job. Just to clarify: the fifth job replaces the Earth job, right? So I will replace Knight?
Right, it replaces Galuf's job, which is the "fourth" job. So Earth replaced.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
White/chem/thief/? So far. I don't know what game is gilgabot is playing at, but this is so far a rather slow first world.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I got Red Mage as my Earth Job...but it's gonna get replaced when Krile tags in. This might be one of the best Jobs in this circumstance, because it's quite useful at the start of world 2 (though it'll tamper off before Galuf's death, admittedly) and I will never feel the temptation to grind for Dualcast!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Nasgate posted:

White/chem/thief/? So far. I don't know what game is gilgabot is playing at, but this is so far a rather slow first world.

I would recommend stealing a Lamia's Tiara while you're in Ronka, just in case that ? turns into Dancer.

Worst case, it's a nice helm for your White Mage. E: And it applies to the Dancing Dagger, so you could go for a physical Chemist busting it out I guess? :v:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Nasgate posted:

So you unlocked Chemist as soon as you got access to Turtle Shells... seems like a good thing? Last year I had Chemist for Wind in one of my runs and it was pretty much cake.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
Just did my first ever triple crown with knight/time mage/ranger/chemist. This team is custom built to steamroll the entire game and I'm thankful after years of putting up with monks, dancers, geomancers, and red mages

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

This was a few days ago but I just wanted to thank you this! Any excuse to make these goon threads feel like more of an event is really great.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I'm considering Gil Turtle just for "fun", basically, as I might have a good team to actually do it. Still not quite there, though. Team is Knight (to Cover), White Mage (for Blink), Geomancer (for Cave-ins) and Red Mage (for, uh, Blizzaras?).

I will need a source of Float; is there something available in W2? If not, I can scratch the plan anyway. Apart from that, each Cave-in makes it counter twice, so four Turtles in a row. It's possible even when forgetting about Blink, as I just tried, but maybe not the ideal attack to hope for. Any ideas? Also, is Red Mage useful or should I see what my fifth Job is first (very probably)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
or you could

not fight gil turtle

theres literally no reason to

• Locked thread