Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Solitair posted:

For those of you who use ff14angler.com to help you fish, can you tell me what the hell this part means?

Is there some kind of trick that can help me get the fish I want now?

It's telling you how many seconds into the cast the fish bites, so you can ignore any tugs that happen too early or too late. Depending on the fish, it's slightly or much faster to let fish escape than reel them in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I don’t know how I got all three commendations as a MCH but I’ll take it :toot:

I will hand out commendations for the most random poo poo, and I know I'm not the only one, so I wouldn't read too much into it.

Maybe they liked your glamour! :buddy:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Mordiceius posted:

Zenos is a better villain than elf-pope.

Nah. Elf Pope turning on the Ascians and being all "yeah no poo poo you were trying to manipulate me for your nebulous evil plans, I planned for that" was great.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
As a dragoon, I will commend any ranged DPS that stands in dragon sight range

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Failboattootoot posted:

The only character that's conventionally good in any sense of the word is Alisaie. Everyone else is a 1 note trope that hasn't developed at all in the now 4 years of playing this game, including the one who just starred throughout an entire expansion.
ftfy

(Alphinaud is a man-child whose recent marginal competence doesn't come anywhere near making up for his catastrophic gently caress-ups in the past.)

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Were Alphinaud and Alisaie a part of 1.0 at all?
I know in 1.0 their dad (grandfather?) Louisoix was a big deal, but playing through the 2.0 MSQ the quest to me seemed to go:

- Here's some weird looking twins rolling into town with you
- Meet the Scions of the Seventh Dawn (which they don't show up for)
- Go to the three speeches, oh hey here's the two twins acting kind of like jerks every time and being mysterious
- Alphinaud: "AFTER THESE TRAGIC EVENTS I AM HERE TO BRING BACK THE SCIONS"

Did I miss something in between step 3 and 4 there somewhere where the other people are like "oh yeah those white haired folks? They're with us" or is that it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

jalapeno_dude posted:

ftfy

(Alphinaud is a man-child whose recent marginal competence doesn't come anywhere near making up for his catastrophic gently caress-ups in the past.)

Being a gently caress-up doesn't mean you aren't well written though.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

bewilderment posted:

Were Alphinaud and Alisaie a part of 1.0 at all?
I know in 1.0 their dad (grandfather?) Louisoix was a big deal, but playing through the 2.0 MSQ the quest to me seemed to go:

- Here's some weird looking twins rolling into town with you
- Meet the Scions of the Seventh Dawn (which they don't show up for)
- Go to the three speeches, oh hey here's the two twins acting kind of like jerks every time and being mysterious
- Alphinaud: "AFTER THESE TRAGIC EVENTS I AM HERE TO BRING BACK THE SCIONS"

Did I miss something in between step 3 and 4 there somewhere where the other people are like "oh yeah those white haired folks? They're with us" or is that it.

Their grandfather was not just a big deal in general, but was the founder of the Scions (back when they were called the Archons or something like that, never actually played 1.0). So the twins are benefiting big time from nepotism.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

It's telling you how many seconds into the cast the fish bites, so you can ignore any tugs that happen too early or too late. Depending on the fish, it's slightly or much faster to let fish escape than reel them in.

Yeah, if you read my big dumb fishing post in the HW thread, it's just a visual indicator of that.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I think one of the biggest problems with the 2.0 storyline was expecting the players to give a poo poo about any of the Scions, presumably because of something in 1.0? They've sort of worked towards fixing it in later expansions, but for the longest time we had this overly large cast of interchangeable nobodies hanging out with us.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

jalapeno_dude posted:

ftfy

Alphinauds fuckups are in part WHY he's a good character. He has an actual character arc, he has a fall from grace, he is humbled, he learns and grows.

Meanwhile the Admiral and Kann-E-Senna are Good Leaders. That's the whole of their characterization. They are wise leaders who do right by their respective city states.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

jalapeno_dude posted:

ftfy

He's 16. You can't be a manchild if you're still literally a child.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Clarste posted:

I think one of the biggest problems with the 2.0 storyline was expecting the players to give a poo poo about any of the Scions, presumably because of something in 1.0? They've sort of worked towards fixing it in later expansions, but for the longest time we had this overly large cast of interchangeable nobodies hanging out with us.

Useless nobodies as well that mostly stood around off-screen while you were toiling away. I did like how in SB while you were off slaying primals the game would show you that the NPC squad was holding off the various beast tribes.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Clarste posted:

Suddenly I miss my Path Companion, or as I'd like to remember him, "that guy that followed the Warrior of Light who had to do all the work because WoL insisted on showing up to every mission as a Fisherman."

Btw, the option to do your MSQ as a DoL/DoH was simultaneously hilariously great and also one of the dumbest video game ideas ever developed.

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jul 13, 2017

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Failboattootoot posted:

Neither of them are villains worth a poo poo tbh.

Edit: Realtalk; this game is loving trash at making good characters. The only character that's conventionally good in any sense of the word is Alphinaud. Everyone else is a 1 note trope that hasn't developed at all in the now 4 years of playing this game, including the one who just starred throughout an entire expansion.

b-b-b-blazing hot take!

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Failboattootoot posted:

Neither of them are villains worth a poo poo tbh.

Edit: Realtalk; this game is loving trash at making good characters. The only character that's conventionally good in any sense of the word is Alphinaud. Everyone else is a 1 note trope that hasn't developed at all in the now 4 years of playing this game, including the one who just starred throughout an entire expansion.

Don't say that about Y'shtola. She's sassy and also blind, and you can't be mean to handicapped people.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Fister Roboto posted:

"Sorry WOL, we're going to have to kick you out of the Scions until the next Naadam due to a conflict of interests. Enjoy your horde."

Can we keep Alisae? Because holy poo poo I a would trade Urgh In Anger and Lice for Sadu and Cirina. If you're only going to have one note, at least make it a good one.

Waci fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jul 13, 2017

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Shtola is my friend

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

please knock Mom! posted:

Shtola is my friend

Are we allowed to call her Shtola? I'm not sure how that works.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Clarste posted:

Do we really have anything more than a professional relationship with her?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I like all of the current scion roster and in fact many characters in this game

thanks for listening

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Clarste posted:

I am, she told me

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Only personal relationships the WoL are like... Aymeric and Haurchefant.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Clarste posted:

You aren't, but I am

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
You need to beat up a jaguar clan nunh to unlock that

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i dont need personal relationships when i can watch the exciting romance of my friends krile and alphinaud from a comfortable distance

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Pretty sure the only people who get to call her Shtola are Y'Mhitra (sister and clansmate, thus no need for the clan letter) and Matoya (because Matoya is Matoya and doesn't give a drat about etiquette like that).

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Blockhouse posted:

I like all of the current scion roster and in fact many characters in this game

thanks for listening

Same.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Waci posted:

Only personal relationships the WoL are like... Aymeric and Haurchefant.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm certain that the wild popularity of the Steppe is like 1/2 music and 1/2 that amazing trial. The dungeon it brings is good, but I don't think it's the best of the expansion. There were two parts of it that sucked, but those are plot quibbles that I can forgive. Those being oval office Magnai followed by oval office Gosetsu. My WoL could accomplish so much with a simple "Please stop" followed by the palm punch emote.

I like quite a few characters. Not all of them land for sure, but I like more of them than I dislike. I don't think I'll ever grow attached to Urianger. I have no problems with the rest. I especially don't get what everyone hates so much about Lyse.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

jalapeno_dude posted:

ftfy

Alisaie is a trash character and you completely missed my point. Like yeah, I like Alisaie, she is a likable character and Alphinaud isn't as affable but being likable doesn't make her a good character at loving all. She is, "The brash youth who wants to cut through the bullshit to get poo poo done." and has absolutely no other aspects to her character. None. 0. That is her entire existence. She functions as a tool to throw at a plotpoint when cutting through the bullshit is what's needed and otherwise has no relevance.

Alphinaud starts off the game as a haughty dillweed who thinks he knows best for everyone like a typical teenager. He sees his grand plan come to fruition only for the whole thing to blow up in his dumb face because oops he was a dumb teenager all along. He then spends all of HW learning from his mistakes and becoming a better person in general. He has flaws, fears, hobbies, desires and all the other poo poo you might find in a well-developed character. He experiences growth and the only thing this game has managed to present that even remotely resembles a character arc. He then doesn't in Stormblood but that's a problem with the expansion as a whole.

I don't mean to be harsh towards the story of this game (well other than towards Stormblood which was fuckin' lousy). I think they do a very good job in presentation and handling themes and having good character moments even if 99% of them are flat as a cardboard cut-out. Mostly I am fresh off finishing the SB story and salty that they botched doing anything even remotely interesting with it's "main character".

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I felt a little bad recently when I thought about the recent changes in Scion Membership and found myself wondering if Tataru had started on an outfit for Papalymo, given she had one for Lyse ready shortly after his death. Seems like it would've been natural to dress up the pair at once.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I love how Hildibrand is basically GMod: The Quest Series

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

I stopped doing the Hildebrand quests after the first set because they seemed boring.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Waci posted:

I stopped doing the Hildebrand quests after the first set because they seemed boring.

If nothing else, you missed out on 3 rockin trials.

I feel like you are of the mind that a character must possess depth to have quality and I fundamentally disagree. Heck, just the verbiage of this post is odd to me. A likable character cannot simultaneously be trash. Goku hasn't got much in the way of a character arc, but that character still has value.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Failboattootoot posted:

Alisaie is a trash character and you completely missed my point. Like yeah, I like Alisaie, she is a likable character and Alphinaud isn't as affable but being likable doesn't make her a good character at loving all. She is, "The brash youth who wants to cut through the bullshit to get poo poo done." and has absolutely no other aspects to her character. None. 0. That is her entire existence. She functions as a tool to throw at a plotpoint when cutting through the bullshit is what's needed and otherwise has no relevance.

Alphinaud starts off the game as a haughty dillweed who thinks he knows best for everyone like a typical teenager. He sees his grand plan come to fruition only for the whole thing to blow up in his dumb face because oops he was a dumb teenager all along. He then spends all of HW learning from his mistakes and becoming a better person in general. He has flaws, fears, hobbies, desires and all the other poo poo you might find in a well-developed character. He experiences growth and the only thing this game has managed to present that even remotely resembles a character arc. He then doesn't in Stormblood but that's a problem with the expansion as a whole.

I don't mean to be harsh towards the story of this game (well other than towards Stormblood which was fuckin' lousy). I think they do a very good job in presentation and handling themes and having good character moments even if 99% of them are flat as a cardboard cut-out. Mostly I am fresh off finishing the SB story and salty that they botched doing anything even remotely interesting with it's "main character".

I guess my only reply to this is that you're not wrong (Except "trash character" come the gently caress on dude) but I've never thought about it and don't actually care so it doesn't matter to me at all.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

I'm certain that the wild popularity of the Steppe is like 1/2 music and 1/2 that amazing trial. The dungeon it brings is good, but I don't think it's the best of the expansion. There were two parts of it that sucked, but those are plot quibbles that I can forgive. Those being oval office Magnai followed by oval office Gosetsu. My WoL could accomplish so much with a simple "Please stop" followed by the palm punch emote.

I really liked wandering through the zone and meeting all the different steppes tribes. RPGs are all about stories where you meet weird people/creatures to me. I hope there are other races that turn out to be secretly interesting like the steppes Au Ra. (and get some follow up quests with more tribes...there are supposed to be like 50 of them)

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Waci posted:

mods? mods?! MODS?!

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

SKULL.GIF posted:

It is very amusing to me that all everyone discusses is the Azim Steppes. Fringes, Peaks, Ruby Sea, Yanxia, Lochs? Nope. It's all the Steppes. Square-Enix did something very right with the Steppes and something very wrong with the other regions.

The people complaining about the predictability of the story honestly should have brought up actual details, like pointing out that the Ala Mhigan rebellion got wrapped up so incredibly abruptly after you finish the Othard storyline. It seems to me almost like that two separate teams were writing the Gyr Abania story and the Othard story, and had to quickly fuse them to meet the deadline.

The Ala Mhigan plot probably should have been mostly devoted to the Fringes/Peaks, with base Stormblood itself wrapping up with you conquering Doma Castle, and the extended patches dealing with you finishing off Zenos as he retreats into the Lochs and you complete the Ala Mhigo liberation effort.

That way you don't get the weirdly abrupt ending to Stormblood while focusing your efforts on liberating Doma, and you have content for Lyse being inspired by Hien's efforts, and wanting to take it back to Gyr Abania to end Garlemald's incursion into Eorzea once and for all.

Of course I don't know what they have planned for the MSQ for 4.1 and later, who knows where this will go.

Yeah, there's definitely some pacing issues. To sum it up, the 4.0 story feels the right length, but the... let's say, three segments of the story feel like the first and third needed to be longer. As is, they both feel seriously off for a variety of reasons. But if they were longer, the 4.0 story as a whole would feel waaaaay too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Y'know, speaking of how strong the WoL is and how they could basically just tell anyone to shut the gently caress up and listen tho them, I wonder if they will ever do much with the elementals of gridania, which are canonically huge assholes and let people die or refuse to let conjurers heal people because They Said So

like, the WoL kills uber-primals for sport. I think they could probably just plant their axe in that big tree in central shroud and go "come at me motherfucker" and the elementals wouldn't really have any response