Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Like, I kept wanting to think Terminator but all I saw was Homer with the golf clubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Arya's Season 6 arc made absolutely zero loving sense. I'm still baffled by it.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Arya hasnt made sense since she left the Hound

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Arya's Season 6 arc made absolutely zero loving sense. I'm still baffled by it.

The end result makes sense if you gave them an entire season to flesh it out. Or competent writers who did some kind of karate kid montage. As it is, apparently you become a super assessing by being blind and fighting with staves.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Constant posted:

Arya hasnt made sense since she left the Hound

This also applies to the books.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Alas, Five Year Gap.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

So is Arya's arc just becoming an assassin + getting revenge on the houses that wronged her family? I can't imagine how face changing or assassination skills would be useful against the Others. Then again if Sam killed one maybe Arya can too.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Arya teleports behind the Night King

"Nothing personal, kid"

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

TOOT BOOT posted:

So is Arya's arc just becoming an assassin + getting revenge on the houses that wronged her family? I can't imagine how face changing or assassination skills would be useful against the Others. Then again if Sam killed one maybe Arya can too.

Well she always had her list, I think in the show too but less explicitly. I think "become faceless man, revenge murder everyone" was always going to be her arc... the show just did it all fuckin' weird for some reason, probably because people like Arya and they wanted to have her on screen more so she had to dick around for awhile doing nothing. Which kind of happened in the books too after Grum decided he couldn't

Lycus posted:

Alas, Five Year Gap.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:laffo: this guy is doing anything But writing the one book he promised he'd write (this show's going to be good probably but still)

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

I can't imagine how face changing would be useful against the Others.

Actually...have you seen the ending of the hit movie Critters 2?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Chris James 2 posted:

:laffo: this guy is doing anything But writing the one book he promised he'd write (this show's going to be good probably but still)

For all we know, HBO asked his agent "can GRRM be an exectuive producer on this show, he will get mad money and we will get to use his name in promos" and the agent said "sure".

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
I think GRRM hates GoT more than this thread combined

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

benzine posted:

I think GRRM hates GoT more than this thread combined

I'm sure he loves all the giant piles of money he has in his sex dungeon because of this show.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

IRQ posted:

I'm sure he loves all the giant piles of money he has in his sex dungeon because of this show.

Or his wolves.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

benzine posted:

Or his wolves.

Tell me he owns wolves

Also tell me one day that he is eaten by them

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

Tell me he owns wolves

Also tell me one day that he is eaten by them

He supports a wolf sanctuary in New Mexico. So maybe calling his wolves it is an exaggeration.

Edit:
After a quick research he helped them with $200,000.
https://www.wildspiritwolfsanctuary.org/westeros_pack.php

benzine fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 12, 2017

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I wish he would just release the book in small installments(and then he could release the big book later for more money!) but I guess that wouldn't work if he's always having to fix things up to make sure they work right. That's assuming he's doing any work on the book at all which I have major doubts regarding. It's clear he lost inspiration for the series some time ago.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
He does, he releases a chapter every year, that's as fast he writes these days.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

What does tv money buy you that book money cant when your entire life consists of nothing but tiny D&d minis and eating at TGIFridays 12 times a week.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

My wolves ate my manuscript!!

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
I thing GRRM's previous editor, pushed him harder.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I think I get more entertainment value from mocking Gurm than he was providing with his writing in the last couple books anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lle4t4o8EDk

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

banned from Starbucks posted:

What does tv money buy you that book money cant when your entire life consists of nothing but tiny D&d minis and eating at TGIFridays 12 times a week.

A hell of a lot more of both.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Can anyone suggest a good recap video(s)?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOdbnbQ5n3Y

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiDJhBA23wY

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

This is the correct answer

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
The only worthwhile GoT YouTube Channel is Preston Jacobs... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCXU7XVK_2Wd6tAHYO8g9vAA?videos

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

But only that video about the time he met GRRM who kept ignoring Preston's dumb bullshit to talk about food with other guests.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Lycus posted:

But only that video about the time he met GRRM who kept ignoring Preston's dumb bullshit to talk about food with other guests.

Preston should have hired a hooker, put her in a Jets jersey and have her ask his dumb questions :D

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
I hope he has a child who will finish it for him like Tolkein.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Lycus posted:

It was even better than that, Preston asked GRRM about some parallel between ASOIAF and one of his earlier stories (I think A song for Lya, which is actually pretty worthwhile) and GRRM was ridiculously dismissive and told Preston he should answer that question himself given that he probably remembers the story way better than GRRM does as he hasn't thought about it since he wrote it

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

The other thing I remember was there being something about him accidentally being at the wrong table and had to move, which I'm pretty sure was a lie, and he purposefully sat in someone else's seat in an effort to double up his Gurm time.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
I haven't read the spoilers for this season but is it revealed that Hot Pie is back teaming with Arya to inexplicably make people into pies?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

drunken officeparty posted:

Arya teleports behind the Night King

"Nothing personel, kid"

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

3Romeo posted:

Six was wildly uneven. There were a whole bunch of bad scenes and bad arcs that felt rushed and unearned (Dany and the Dothraki; everything with Dorne; Arya and the waif fight; that awful bit with Sandor and the Brotherhood), but in the way of spectacle, you couldn't beat it - the Battle of Mereen, the Battle of the Bastards, and the explosion in the Sept.

I think that's the biggest difference between seasons 1-4 and the rest: acting and writing carried the early show, because they didn't have the budget for anything crazy. Now they have the budget, but not the acting and writing, so everything feels unearned. Christopher Orr covers it pretty well here, I think:

But all that said, I mean, I'm still watching the thing. I'm exhausted with it in a lot of ways and I'm not excited about it like I used to be, but when it's good, it's really good.

I think this hits the nail pretty well tbh

S1 was captivating to me because the "primary" characters were all older, really cool actors who got their spotlight constantly. When Sean Bean died I was legit shocked

Now we're following the kids, of which none are particularly interesting actors at all. They can't carry this poo poo

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

GaussianCopula posted:

The only worthwhile GoT YouTube Channel is Preston Jacobs...

Um, Comic Book Girl 19 yo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnfYj-cHM5c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIIzuqIRB2g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Lycus posted:

He does, he releases a chapter every year, that's as fast he writes these days.

I thought those were the chapters that got cut from ADWD

• Locked thread