Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Brawnfire posted:

This is kind of about someone else's pet peeve I guess

A co-worker today was telling me that changing room mirrors are designed to "make women look bigger" so that they feel like they need a size up, which is apparently more expensive

I don't really get how that works, surely if you're in the changing room trying clothes on you can feel how they fit, and you're not going to go get a size up based on how you look in the mirror?

I understand that there's little tricks like that which use people's lack of self-confidence against them, but I don't get how this one is supposed to work. Usually I can follow the logic of irrational decisions, but the only thing this "trick mirror" seems to do is make you look fat in clothes that fit, I'd just leave the store if that were the case.

When I addressed this, she could only say "women don't work that way" which seems like a pretty bad thing to generalize.

I read this post several hours ago and am still trying to figure this person's conspiracy theory out.

1) As was previously mentioned, different sizes of the same clothing item in the same broad size bracket are going to cost the same amount. Maybe the store would make money if you sized up from a 12 to like a 24, but a single size up isn't going to make the slightest bit of difference in pricing unless people are at a very specific borderline size.

2) Most sizing choices are going to be based on feel of the clothes, but even when they are based on appearance in the mirror, it's going to be a specific element of the fit ("holy poo poo this is clingy in the chest, I should size up"/"this feels okay but looks pretty baggy, maybe a size down would look more tailored"/etc.), not a general "I look big/small in this." I have no idea how a modified mirror would possibly make this happen in a way that wasn't funhouse-level obvious.

3) Even if someone swapped out for a bigger size, they're going to try it out in the same fitting-room mirror again, and it's still going to look like poo poo! It's not like the fitting-room attendant is going to switch the mirror out for the one that makes everyone look great. Or... is this something the coworker believes happens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
When I'm watching a movie or TV program and the person/people I'm watching it with don't pay attention, then keep asking what a character did/said, etc. Then I explain it, now I miss the next two scenes. If you're interested, pay attention. Otherwise, shut the hell up and let me watch my show.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

MightyJoe36 posted:

When I'm watching a movie or TV program and the person/people I'm watching it with don't pay attention, then keep asking what a character did/said, etc. Then I explain it, now I miss the next two scenes. If you're interested, pay attention. Otherwise, shut the hell up and let me watch my show.

Are you watching tv with my husband?

He's recently started binge-watching Survivor on Hulu, having never watched it before. Never fails, every tribal council he's staring at his phone and then asks me "Wait who did they vote off? Why did they vote her off? Who voted for her?"

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Tiggum posted:

One thing that annoys me about Dr Karl is the way he does this. Like, someone recently phoned in to ask about blocking the "radiation" from their electricity meter and his response was something like "we have found no evidence that they emit any kind of harmful radiation". I know that he's actually saying that they're safe, but I'm pretty sure what the caller heard was "nothing conclusive, could go either way". Just that phrase "no evidence", people hear that and go "Oh, so we don't know anything." rather than what it actually means, which is "we've looked really hard and it's not there."

Oh, absolutely (haha), it's annoying on both ends. Even though the answer the scientist gives is correct and is, to him, the most appropriate and safe answer, it's understandably vague and could stand to be tweaked so the most important aspects are given to the layman. He isn't appropriating his words for the audience, so to speak, so it could sound like he lacks confidence and could be interpreted in ways you suggested. After all, it's like confessing your love: I think people prefer to hear "I love you" rather than "I believe that I love you at this point in time, though it's subject to change in the immediate future," even though that might be more exacting. I've heard some scientists use probability comparisons, for example, like "the chance of this killing you is the same chance of being hit by a lightning bolt while being eaten by a shark" and that can help.

It's a tricky subject. I guess at the end of the day, it's more that, even though both speaker and listener can be using the same language, we could still use a bunch of translators walking around facilitating things, as silly as that seems (and even that would be subject to further inconsistencies and interpretations and so on...)

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

When you're on a two-hour conference call and it's just about to wrap up, and some idiot asks a question that should have been asked like an hour ago.

Real pet peeve: Any meeting/conference call that lasts longer than an hour.

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
Waiting to order a sandwich at subway or any sandwich shop and being stuck behind someone who acts like they have never had a sandwich in their life. You know, they have to ask what each kind of bread is, TWICE, then they change their mind, then deciding if it should be toasted or not like its a life or death question. Sometimes just thinking about this happening makes me go some where else to eat.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I seem to always be the last person in line. Yesterday I was in line at my usual breakfast spot and there were a half dozen people who all had the largest most complicated orders of donuts and bagels. Took me around 10 minutes to get through the line and place my order and of course there was nobody in line behind me. Also, why the gently caress is it so hard for people to choose donuts?

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCumH8LRo1A

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Yep, that about sums it up.

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious
Volume sliders in videos that seem to go to 90% volume when you move the slider one pixel off of mute.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

May Contain Nuts posted:

Volume sliders in videos that seem to go to 90% volume when you move the slider one pixel off of mute.

I hate this, especially when it turns over at some point. Like on my lovely TV once you get to volume 25 it doesnt get noticeably louder until like 60, but 22-25 goes from almost always unhearable to usually too loud. Occasionally i'll get a movie where I have to turn it up to 70 just to hear them talking...until the music/sound effects start and it starts shaking the tv off the stand.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I hate this, especially when it turns over at some point. Like on my lovely TV once you get to volume 25 it doesnt get noticeably louder until like 60, but 22-25 goes from almost always unhearable to usually too loud. Occasionally i'll get a movie where I have to turn it up to 70 just to hear them talking...until the music/sound effects start and it starts shaking the tv off the stand.

I don’t normally do this, but I spent $100 more on the sound bar by the same manufacturer as my TV, specifically because it works with the volume equalizer feature that the TV has.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
my mom has four elderly pugs and they make disgusting noises all day and it's gross and annoying

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

InediblePenguin posted:

my mom has four elderly pugs and they make disgusting noises all day and it's gross and annoying

Ew! Seemingly every family group on my wife's side has at least one of those Maltese dogs, and they always have so much horrible stringy yellow goop coming from the corners of their eyes. It's revolting to look upon.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
any dog bred until they have deformities or congenital problems is a loving travesty

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

hard agree. wish my mom would choose healthy dogs instead

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

People who park their car in the firelane outside the grocery store when they go shopping instead of walking the thirty feet it takes to park in one of the available spots.

I usually see them on my way in and out of the store, so "I was only getting a few items" is clearly a lie. Also, turning on your hazard lights doesn't turn your 2004 BMW with the temporary tags from Max's Auto Center into a fire engine.

I openly long for the day when a tow company recognizes the revenue opportunity.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Any kind of poodle is an exception to that rule, except maybe those yappy, ill-socialized toys that grandmas have. They are the perfect, aryan ideal of dog. "Healthy, smart, and beautiful" describes pretty much every poodle I know besides grandma toys and browbeaten, shaved show dogs. They are also really cute if you don't force them to get that stupid show-poodle look.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Any kind of poodle is an exception to that rule, except maybe those yappy, ill-socialized toys that grandmas have. They are the perfect, aryan ideal of dog. "Healthy, smart, and beautiful" describes pretty much every poodle I know besides grandma toys and browbeaten, shaved show dogs. They are also really cute if you don't force them to get that stupid show-poodle look.

how the gently caress is a dog you're claiming does not have unhealthy deformities supposed to be an exception to the rule of "any dog bred until they have deformities is a travesty"

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

starkebn posted:

any dog bred until they have deformities or congenital problems is a loving travesty

Family member has a boston terrier and they have all convinced themselves he looks cute. I think he looks like a toothpaste tube being squeezed from the middle by the Incredible Hulk. He also sounds like he's suffocating every time he breathes in.

At least their dogs are rescues, they didn't go to a breeder and custom-order the little abomination.

Che Delilas has a new favorite as of 07:12 on Jul 13, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Glazier posted:

I don’t normally do this, but I spent $100 more on the sound bar by the same manufacturer as my TV, specifically because it works with the volume equalizer feature that the TV has.

I tend to go by two volumes on my TV - 10 for Videogames, 30-35 or TV as videogames are way louder generally.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
https://dogbehaviorscience.wordpress.com/2012/09/29/100-years-of-breed-improvement/

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Agree with the volume slider complaints.

White people who fawn over Beyonce a little too much. She's fine. Her music is okay. All this slobbering has the feel of an "I can't be racist, I have a black friend" thought process.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
My dad does this thing where he argues a point in a way that comes off as a personal attack, even if he doesn't mean it.

Like, I had lunch with him today, and we got Subway. He was surprised that they charged me for both the turkey and the salami, implying that it was wrong of me for not trying to get out of paying for at least one of the selected meats. Or getting mad at me when I point out that 15% tip is being an rear end in a top hat, or any number of things.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

MisterBibs posted:

Or getting mad at me when I point out that 15% tip is being an rear end in a top hat, or any number of things.

Ok I'm gonna bite the bullet and will preface this with saying sorry for probably causing a tipping derail.

But as a nonamerican, why is 15% being an rear end in a top hat now? I thought that was the lowest normal tip you should make in the USA.

What is the new normal now?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
[quote="“Helios Grime”" post="“474319431”"]
Ok I’m gonna bite the bullet and will preface this with saying sorry for probably causing a tipping derail.

But as a nonamerican, why is 15% being an rear end in a top hat now? I thought that was the lowest normal tip you should make in the USA.

What is the new normal now?
[/quote]

20%

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

This is common but normal people don't consider 15% "rear end in a top hat" territory. It's just mister bibs being mister bibs.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I mostly do 20% because I'm lazy and the math is easier to do in my head.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

My dad does this thing where he argues a point in a way that comes off as a personal attack, even if he doesn't mean it.

Like, I had lunch with him today, and we got Subway. He was surprised that they charged me for both the turkey and the salami, implying that it was wrong of me for not trying to get out of paying for at least one of the selected meats. Or getting mad at me when I point out that 15% tip is being an rear end in a top hat, or any number of things.

Did you have turkey and salami on the sandwich? If so, you pay for it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You tip 20% at Subway? I've also seen Subways without a tip jar. If they do, I usually just drop a buck per sandwich. Actually, I guess that is around 15-20%.

e: also I'll stop talking about tips after this post.

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 14:35 on Jul 13, 2017

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
You tip at Subway?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I am pretty sure he's talking about 2 separate occurrences.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

life is a joke posted:

Me: "Hey I'm relocating to Cali."

Californian: ":rolleyes: OH REALLY YOU'RE MOVING TO COLOMBIA? BECAUSE THAT'S WHERE THE CITY OF CALI IS. OTHERWISE NEVER HEARD OF IT."

Uh, really? Because I live in the bay area, and the only ones who call it Cali are people who were born and raised here. It drives me loving INSANE.

I saw a guy wearing a shirt at the gym yesterday that just had HYPHY over and over in big letters. Ten years here, and I still haven't figured out what HYPHY means. See also: vaca, vacay, sesh (I know what these words are supposed to mean, but they're really annoying). They also get REALLY MAD at you if you pronounce their Spanglish words in proper Spanish. "It's Val-LAY-ho, not Va-YAY-ho, GOD, it's like you're not even white!"

And don't get me started on "hella."

InediblePenguin posted:

I recently learned that French bulldogs, another loving trendy dog where I live, can't give birth naturally. If you want one of these you have to force a dog into unnecessary, invasive surgery. I can't believe people are okay with having this on their conscience when shelters are full of trendy dogs whose time in the spotlight has run out (pit bulls, chihuahuas) and they're even cuter than these smash-faced monstrosities. I feel terrible for French bulldogs and other overly-inbred breeds, but I refuse to give the owner validation for their choices by fawning over the dog.

People who are awful to animals intentionally or out of ignorance are and always will be my #1 peeve, except by peeve I mean "friendship-ending hatred."

Current peeve: I didn't want to go to a town hall meeting in person so I stayed at the office to watch the livestream. I've seen about 2 minutes of a half-hour stream because it's just circle-of-death-ing me. It's literally not working at all and I have no idea why.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Hyphy is a rap style from oakland hth

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Looking older than Clint Eastwood and having to show my ID to some kid who is barely old enough to work. :argh:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
No, I don't tip at Subway. Two distinct events.

Golli posted:

Did you have turkey and salami on the sandwich? If so, you pay for it.

Exactly, that's what I said. His response was a grumbly "well, you should at least try to not pay as much."

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

a financially responsible person would have thrown a fit in the sandwich store. please try to think of your future.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I saw a guy wearing a shirt at the gym yesterday that just had HYPHY over and over in big letters. Ten years here, and I still haven't figured out what HYPHY means. See also: vaca, vacay, sesh (I know what these words are supposed to mean, but they're really annoying). They also get REALLY MAD at you if you pronounce their Spanglish words in proper Spanish. "It's Val-LAY-ho, not Va-YAY-ho, GOD, it's like you're not even white!"

And don't get me started on "hella."
Huh, I get embarrassed whenever someone realizes that the town Versailles near me actually is pronounced Ver-sales instead of Ver-sai, rather than correcting them. Weird.

Bad Llama
Jan 2, 2007
pwnerer
When people walk by your cubicle/office and glance in at you mid stride without stopping or saying anything.

Like, what are you looking at motherfucker? Eyes forward bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Bad Llama posted:

When people walk by your cubicle/office and glance in at you mid stride without stopping or saying anything.

Like, what are you looking at motherfucker? Eyes forward bitch.

When you're eyes front in some kind of official standing at attention context and the person in charges cracks some joke like they're just daring you to smile or laugh and get chewed out.