Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Crossbows, uzis, talking suits of armor, pitfall traps and hidden doorways instead of gold leaf everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

trumps gross taste is still better than the abomination that was limbaughs apartment

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

it's like garriot wanted alien looking elves a la the elder scrolls and his hack artists ended up putting pointing ears on grey aliens

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

pointy ears and tits, add some shiny grease and it's a skyrim mod

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Are some of the lots not "tax free"? Is the lot tax real money or in game currency?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Any deed obtained through the game instead of the kickstarter is taxed. It's taxed in gold, the in-game currency. It's basically there to ensure you can't hold onto your spot unless you keep playing regularly, but such a massive amount of tax-free lots were thrown out via the kickstarter with no mechanism for removing deeds that haven't been touched I imagine that the majority of the half-decent spots in the world are still currently occupied by abandoned houses.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

iminers posted:

Theyve raised a hefty $187,057 out of the 2 million they need if im reading the seedinvest page correctly.

or wait they need to raise 25 million?

not sure what the goal is but its not looking too good. they got 27 more days left.

Also: Invest 30k and get the following.

$30,000: Golden Castle

All of the above
Tax Free Player Owned Town Castle Lot Deed
Exclusive Golden Airship (See Gallery)
Exclusive Golden Castle Walls (See Gallery)
Exclusive Golden Clockwork Pet Dragon (See Gallery)
Dinner with Lord and Lady British and other Golden Castle owners at their home Britannia Manor in New York City (travel expenses not included)

:lol: travel expenses not included.

Gariott could fund this thing pretty easily, if he wanted. $20mm USD is not much of his estimated net worth.

When you consider that he's trying to attract investors with "everything is fine and dandy I promise" it is very very telling that he won't fund a significant portion himself. Unless he already has, in which case they should be crowing about that.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Thursday Next posted:

Gariott could fund this thing pretty easily, if he wanted. $20mm USD is not much of his estimated net worth.

When you consider that he's trying to attract investors with "everything is fine and dandy I promise" it is very very telling that he won't fund a significant portion himself. Unless he already has, in which case they should be crowing about that.

If Garriot is smart he wont use his money to fund this.

I saw he's selling a house in texas for something like 35 million or so.

Makes me wonder if he's gonna use that money to keep this game alive or what.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

iminers posted:

If Garriot is smart he wont use his money to fund this.

I saw he's selling a house in texas for something like 35 million or so.

Makes me wonder if he's gonna use that money to keep this game alive or what.

He's not dumb enough to back this.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Ok so in 2011 he listed his Austin home for $4.1 million so that he could build "an even more lavish Texas castle." Then 2 years later, the asking price for Austinhouse went down to $3.5 million. A year after that it got sold to some shmuck, for who knows how much, but Zillow has it pegged at ~$1.5 million, and realtor.com has it at ~$1.2 million, down from about $1.8 since its last listing in 2014 (so presumably this is around what it sold for???).

Now I guess the lavish Texas castle is being listed for $45 million? He's selling it so that he can "buy a smaller property in Austin". Like the one he sold a couple years ago...

:wtc:

Orv
May 4, 2011
"...and his children, Kinga and Ronin."

Goddamn what a childhood that must have been/will be.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Percelus posted:

britannia manor sounds like it's in a contest with trump tower to be the most tasteless estate in the 5 boroughs

I like to think that his doorbell plays the Ultima theme song Stones when you press it.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Actually when press the button Iolo comes out of a side door and plays the song on his lute.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
stones is legit rad though and gives me nostalgia and feels.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Hmm

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/press...ming_Tokens.php

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
this can only mean good things, I'm sure

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
doa game finds partner in neverdie :-/

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Initially I thought he joined forced with Ico, as in, the developers of the game Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. Needless to say, that was confusing.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
So the guy who spent several hundred k on a in game asset has partnered with garriot to make ultima online... but with bitcoin!

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Just when I thought this whole scam couldnt make any less sense, it somehow becomes even more nonsensical.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Meanwhile, in Lum's cubicle, :tif:

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

As if he's still showing up for work at this point. I doubt anyone over at the development house really gives a poo poo at this point.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

The "game" only exists to milk whales at this point, and now bitcoin too? What a sad end to Garriott's legacy and career.

Entoloma
Jan 2, 2009
I think they lost sight of making an actual game a long time ago. Now it's more like some weird fantasy version of second life. And they're partnering up with a company owned by a guy who was apparently crowned "President of Virtual Reality" (looool) and is supposedly internet famous for a virtual nightclub or something. When I think of it that way, it makes sense that they would focus on selling status items and eyeburning outfits that don't even fit into the original world they (at one time) were creating. Making people believe they will have some sort of stake in the company and selling them Neverlol coins is just another way to monetize that crowd.

Yeah, a real Ultima successor.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
He came from entropy online which is second life but everything costs thousands of dollars

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I'm looking forward to this game.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

clone on the phone posted:

The "game" only exists to milk whales at this point, and now bitcoin too? What a sad end to Garriott's legacy and career.

I doubt this is a big enough fiasco to even put a dent in Garriott's reputation. Hell take a vacation somewhere then be back with a new product to hype in a few years.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
you think? this seems like a lark more than anything else. i imagine he'll peace out at some point and go chill with his hillbot wife and renfaire-themed kiddos

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Nah, next time he needs to fund a move to NYC or getting shot into space or some other expensive thing he wants to do I bet hell suddenly find some inspiration for a new MMO.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Agree. And if it's not his own idea, he'll pull another NCSoft and get his reputation bought out by some up and coming developer, then peace out on them when things fall apart.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Soup du Journey posted:

you think? this seems like a lark more than anything else. i imagine he'll peace out at some point and go chill with his hillbot wife and renfaire-themed kiddos

He just needs to do this.

Retire and leave the MMO scene all together.

He has way more than enough money to do this.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Yeah, I wanted him to keep making games until I found out that UO was only good because EA kept him under control and vetoed his terrible ideas.

Edit: Richard wanted the entire game to be trammel :0

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
If Lum still works for this garbage, it's probably only to send his own robotic segway with a monitor on top of it around the office twice a day as well. Except instead of a monitor its a cutout of his face.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

yoloer420 posted:

Yeah, I wanted him to keep making games until I found out that UO was only good because EA kept him under control and vetoed his terrible ideas.

Edit: Richard wanted the entire game to be trammel :0

You are gonna have to source that because I find it extremely hard to believe that the guy that lobbied hard for cannibalism to stay in the game wanted it to not even have pvp

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Givin posted:

If Lum still works for this garbage, it's probably only to send his own robotic segway with a monitor on top of it around the office twice a day as well. Except instead of a monitor its a cutout of his face.

I hope it has a little speech bubble with the phrase "I am taxing to victory!!!!!" attached.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I bought $1000 of bitcoin when it was at $24. Should I cash out and invest in Britcoin?

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

jabro posted:

I bought $1000 of bitcoin when it was at $24. Should I cash out and invest in Britcoin?

I did a market analysis of competitors and here's the data on Shroud:

- bad

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Entoloma posted:

I think they lost sight of making an actual game a long time ago. Now it's more like some weird fantasy version of second life. And they're partnering up with a company owned by a guy who was apparently crowned "President of Virtual Reality" (looool) and is supposedly internet famous for a virtual nightclub or something. When I think of it that way, it makes sense that they would focus on selling status items and eyeburning outfits that don't even fit into the original world they (at one time) were creating. Making people believe they will have some sort of stake in the company and selling them Neverlol coins is just another way to monetize that crowd.

Yeah, a real Ultima successor.

I'm starting to think Alexander De'Large is a lovely games canary. If he seems really excited about the project in whatever megathread gets genned up you stay for the comedy, not the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
See also the words "Spiritual successor to UO"