Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

deadgoon posted:

i do a lot of crimes, im doing a few crimes right now, but none of them are cool

mlyp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Zeroisanumber posted:

Mine was drunk and took a ride home from the wrong guy. I think about killing him from time to time but I'm terrible at crime and would get caught almost immediately.

Just become a cop

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Has anyone here seen the story about the backlash against a woman named Tanya Gersh for approaching Richard Spencer's mother?

Sherry Spencer and her neo-Nazi defenders are claiming that Gersh essentially tried to extort them. Obviously no one should target Gersh's family like this, but she doesn't seem to be offering a version of events that disputes this. The whole situation is incredibly fishy unless Gersh is just incredibly naive.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Halloween Jack posted:

Has anyone here seen the story about the backlash against a woman named Tanya Gersh for approaching Richard Spencer's mother?

Sherry Spencer and her neo-Nazi defenders are claiming that Gersh essentially tried to extort them. Obviously no one should target Gersh's family like this, but she doesn't seem to be offering a version of events that disputes this. The whole situation is incredibly fishy unless Gersh is just incredibly naive.

The hell are you talking about? Gersh's counternarrative is that she approached Spencer's mother about potentially selling off property if she wanted to leave town because of the notoriety caused by her idiot curbstomp son, then the chuds got a hold of it and decided this was another example of die ewige Jude preying upon the Noble Aryan and they should make her life living hell as a consequence, ideally until she killed herself. "Incredibly fishy" my rear end.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Wait, so she went to Richard Spencer's mother and was all "Your son is a nazi, sell me your house when you leave town?"

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Captain_Maclaine posted:

The hell are you talking about? Gersh's counternarrative is that she approached Spencer's mother about potentially selling off property if she wanted to leave town because of the notoriety caused by her idiot curbstomp son, then the chuds got a hold of it and decided this was another example of die ewige Jude preying upon the Noble Aryan and they should make her life living hell as a consequence, ideally until she killed herself. "Incredibly fishy" my rear end.

quote:

Gersh says she advised Spencer to disavow the views of her son, including that the United States is a country for white people. She says she offered to sell Spencer's property as a way of defusing tensions in town. Gersh suggested Spencer donate money to a human rights group.

"Hey you don't know me, but you need to make a public speech about your son, let me sell your property, and then give money to this group of people I tell you to. You do all of this and the "tension" in the area will be "defused"." :)

I know spencer boy is a garbage person, but his mom? I've never even heard of her. You can get all "sins of the son fall on the mom too", but this Gersh lady is an idiot.

I can't imagine being harassed this way and decided an article with my photo and information in it would be my next step.

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

I've said forever that if the alt-right MAGA chuds had been born in Iraq/Syria, that they would be ISIS members right now. The only ideological difference between ISIS and the alt-right is that the alt-right are not muslims, and ISIS is not nominally Christian. Otherwise, they advocate for the exact same policies

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I mean yeah that was clearly an intimidation tactic on Gersh's part - not saying Spenny's mom doesn't deserve it if she supports her son, but it wasn't an innocent offer. If his mom has nothing to do with his bullshit then the whole situation is pretty gross, not the least of the reasons being forcing me to side with MAGA assholes on any issue.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Deified Data posted:

I mean yeah that was clearly an intimidation tactic on Gersh's part - not saying Spenny's mom doesn't deserve it if she supports her son, but it wasn't an innocent offer. If his mom has nothing to do with his bullshit then the whole situation is pretty gross, not the least of the reasons being forcing me to side with MAGA assholes on any issue.

Just out of curiosity I googled Sherry Spencer just to see if maybe she was some kind of public personality. Nope. The only thing out there is her complaint against Gersh, + the emails gersh was sending her.

https://medium.com/@recnepss/does-love-really-live-here-fff159563ba3

quote:

Richard does not own the building, nor has he ever used it for his writing or publishing. Put simply, the building has nothing to do with politics — and it has everything to do with tourism and local businesses.
I had no intention of selling . . . until I started receiving terrible threats in the last couple of weeks.
These threats came from Tanya Gersh, a local realtor with links to “human rights” organizations Love Lives Here and the Montana Human Rights Network.

In the emails you can see that Gersh was/is working with the protesters and using the threat of protests to get Sherry to sell her property and give money to the protest org. And to let them write her public statement about her son.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah it's a mess.

Anyways checking PACER for court docs on Gersh's/the SPLC's suit against Anglin. On Monday Gersh moved to extend the time for service until Sept. 15. The reason is that her attorneys are having trouble finding him to serve the complaint and summons. His attorney, Randazza "has not responded" ... "or otherwise confirmed his firm's representation" of Anglin.

Looking at law stuff, extending the time of service is normal in this circumstance since Gersh showed good cause for failing to notify Anglin. (They also gave the court printouts of Anglin's posts on Daily Stormer raising more money -- he's clearly hiding.)

They found his brother living at one of the addresses where Anglin possibly lived. The brother declined to forward the court papers to him because he "can't do that" to his brother.

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 21:34 on Jul 12, 2017

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Yeah it's a mess.

Anyways checking PACER for court docs on Gersh's/the SPLC's suit against Anglin. On Monday Gersh moved to extend the time for service until Sept. 15. The reason is that her attorneys are having trouble finding him to serve the complaint and summons. His attorney, Randazza "has not responded" ... "or otherwise confirmed his firm's representation" of Anglin.

Looking at law stuff, extending the time of service is normal in this circumstance since Gersh showed good cause for failing to notify Anglin.

They found his brother living at one of the addresses where Anglin possibly lived. The brother declined to forward the court papers to him because he "can't do that" to his brother.

Supposedly he's hiding in Lagos, of all places.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Supposedly he's hiding in Lagos, of all places.

That's what they told CNN, lmao.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Yeah it's a mess.

Looking at law stuff, extending the time of service is normal in this circumstance since Gersh showed good cause for failing to notify Anglin.

Is that the same Gersh from the Sherry Spencer thing? Is she not just some town's realtor?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

spacetoaster posted:

Is that the same Gersh from the Sherry Spencer thing? Is she not just some town's realtor?
Same Gersh. The affair with Sherry provoked Anglin from Daily Stormer into siccing a mob on Gersh, so she and the SPLC are suing Anglin for harassment and violating the Montana Anti-Intimidation Act.

Like I said: a mess.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

That's what they told CNN, lmao.
Wait lol what? Who told CNN that?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Same Gersh. The affair with Sherry provoked Anglin from Daily Stormer into siccing a mob on Gersh, so she and the SPLC are suing Anglin for harassment and violating the Montana Anti-Intimidation Act.

Like I said: a mess.

Oh wow. I thought this was a new thing that just happened.

I suppose I should be pleased that the only place I hear about this stuff is here.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Wait lol what? Who told CNN that?

Anglin said it himself.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/10/us/avalanche-of-hate-daily-stormer-lawsuit/index.html

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Corny posted:

I've said forever that if the alt-right MAGA chuds had been born in Iraq/Syria, that they would be ISIS members right now. The only ideological difference between ISIS and the alt-right is that the alt-right are not muslims, and ISIS is not nominally Christian. Otherwise, they advocate for the exact same policies
This is all too true. A decent amount of the rank and file troops of ISIS come from disenfranchised and socially isolated young men who see no economic or social prospects for themselves and get recruited by ISIS, and only then do they begin to adopt the extremist ideology, rather than those same young men finding extremist ideology and then seeking out ISIS. It's not unlike the way that many kids end up in street gangs.

It really is very telling how Indonesia, despite having the largest population of Muslims in the world, has fewer fighters in ISIS than France, Germany, or the U.K.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Ahh got it. I don't trust what he says but he can drag this out for years by living abroad.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Conservatism is the new counter culture.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
running the heat full blast in the summer is really dumb

but... during the canadian winter.... :q:

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
sam hyde does varg style vlogs now?

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Darkman Fanpage posted:

sam hyde does varg style vlogs now?

I heard he lives in his car now.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Azathoth posted:

This is all too true. A decent amount of the rank and file troops of ISIS come from disenfranchised and socially isolated young men who see no economic or social prospects for themselves and get recruited by ISIS, and only then do they begin to adopt the extremist ideology, rather than those same young men finding extremist ideology and then seeking out ISIS. It's not unlike the way that many kids end up in street gangs.

Most alt-righters are comfortably middle class incels with brains melted from anime and video games.
They have more in common with Tsarnaevs and Jihadi John than recruits from Iraq and Syria.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

i still believe that sam hyde's alt right turn is a giant andy kaufman style troll that in the end consumed him

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

fatherboxx posted:

Most alt-righters are comfortably middle class incels with brains melted from anime and video games.
They have more in common with Tsarnaevs and Jihadi John than recruits from Iraq and Syria.

tbf thats also true of a lot of international isis volunteers, though less anime probably

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i think hyde is the most interesting person in this whole alt-right thing, and he can be very funny. but mainly watching him makes me sad because there's something badly broken in his brain.

consumed by normies posted:

i still believe that sam hyde's alt right turn is a giant andy kaufman style troll that in the end consumed him
if he becomes even more like his "character" it ends reaaaaaalllly badly.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

hyde's failure to grift his altright fans through a patreon is his greatest failing

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
*shudders involuntarily*

oh whoops sorry i just had that occasional moment when i remember that i'm smack-dab in the middle of the class / demographic chart that becomes alt-right and had things maybe gone slightly differently i'd be one of them.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Is there a Hatereon service for racist crowdfunding?

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
If not, TM TM TM TM TM use that and I'll sue you

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

fatherboxx posted:

He meant terrorist recruits from places like the UK and the US, not Syria

Which uh... ya, it's pretty well-established that the mechanism of that radicalization is basically exactly the same, angry disenfranchised young men looking for a purpose who are recruited by people that can place their personal suffering in the context of a more universal conflict and offer "just" warfare as a solution to their sense of meaninglessness

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
not just a purpose, though I think that's key, but also a physical transformation into a born-again warrior, which is exploited as well by the military:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62tnJtLBQzQ

one of the more extreme examples is elliot rodger who said his killing spree would end with his transformation into a god. most alt-righters seem to just (try to) give up on jerking off. though the emphasis on physical fitness, which i've seen some alt-right groups put a lot of emphasis on, shouldn't be underestimated.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

wizard on a water slide posted:

He meant terrorist recruits from places like the UK and the US, not Syria

Which uh... ya, it's pretty well-established that the mechanism of that radicalization is basically exactly the same, angry disenfranchised young men looking for a purpose who are recruited by people that can place their personal suffering in the context of a more universal conflict and offer "just" warfare as a solution to their sense of meaninglessness

Guess I am just annoyed that "disenfranchised" is applied to people that don't suffer from material conditions or actual community pressure.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
"alienated" is a better term i think. a lot of jihadi bombers from europe and north america don't come from circumstances that are objectively or materially all that bad compared to their iraqi or libyan brothers. one of ISIS' top propagandists, yahya abu hassan (born john georgelas) was raised by wealthy dallas physicians. (so was richard spencer!)

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Yeah, they're socially disenfranchised, not materially or politically. Either because of their repulsiveness (physical or personality), crippling shyness/social anxiety or disproportionate (to the culture) religiosity they feel like they don't belong in the popular culture and as a defense mechanism they formulate a reality where the problems are with society, not themselves. Where the whole world has gone nuts and they're the only sane ones left. It lends them what they've been missing all along, a sense of community and purpose. We all need that feeling of acceptance from someone and if no one else is willing to give it, well a nazi will do, especially since they'll reinforce your preconceptions about society and love you (in a way). I don't mean to sound too sympathetic to these folks, but I really believe most of the alt-right rank and file are not unsalvageable. There's a core of die-hard shitbags who deserve a long one way train trip out east, but most of the kekistanis are just lost souls who could be redirected with the right tactics.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

consumed by normies posted:

He's a talented comedian and storyteller and it's a shame he's otherwise just garbage because I can't enjoy his stuff anymore.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

A Pale Horse posted:

We all need that feeling of acceptance from someone and if no one else is willing to give it, well a nazi will do, especially since they'll reinforce your preconceptions about society and love you (in a way). I don't mean to sound too sympathetic to these folks, but I really believe most of the alt-right rank and file are not unsalvageable. There's a core of die-hard shitbags who deserve a long one way train trip out east, but most of the kekistanis are just lost souls who could be redirected with the right tactics.
i think so too. and to use an example to terrorist groups, which are basically political actors, the idea is to provoke a threat-response from the population they seek to recruit from.

the strategy goes back to mao and probably further, but another term that the counter-insurgency theorist david kilcullen used is: "accidental guerrillas." in iraq, these were sunnis who aligned with al qaeda because the terror group had provoked shia death squads into doing drive-by shootings in sunni neighborhoods. or they joined the insurgency because they were bored and it was fun to take pot-shots at passing humvees. the u.s. military then conflated the "accidental guerrillas" with the al qaeda fighters and made the problem worse. which was al qaeda's goal.

the real die-hard nazis in the alt-right are very clear about why they create these fake antifa groups, and fake protests. they use the excuse of "it's just trolling." but the guy who got manhandled by the MAGAs in houston went there to recruit and tried to play dumb about it. the local antifa in austin know him as a neo-nazi instigator. and the nazis talk constantly on their forums about how best to radicalize normies.

very different circumstances from an insurgency in iraq, but at the same time not really.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
also the fact that the MAGAs chucked the nazi-boy out of there is an encouraging sign, i think.

so what should be done? now that i'm General Brutalist McDonalds, i'd say you need to take a hammer and smash the real Nazis into goo, or put them on Pale Horse's train to Siberia. but at the same time, the fact is, recognize that lot of the Kekis really are afraid and perceive themselves to be under a great threat, which is contributing to their radicalization.

the guys in that recent stream where they walked through berkeley? they were scared out of their wits. they had a boss (the vaping guy) telling everyone "stick together!" it's ridiculous and comical but they perceive berkeley as this hostile, alien place. and to be fair there are people who feel the same way about small conservative towns. and i used to feel that way to a great extent, but a lot of it is in your head.

empathy is a guideline, not sympathy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

fatherboxx posted:

Guess I am just annoyed that "disenfranchised" is applied to people that don't suffer from material conditions or actual community pressure.

A Pale Horse posted:

Yeah, they're socially disenfranchised, not materially or politically. Either because of their repulsiveness (physical or personality), crippling shyness/social anxiety or disproportionate (to the culture) religiosity they feel like they don't belong in the popular culture and as a defense mechanism they formulate a reality where the problems are with society, not themselves. Where the whole world has gone nuts and they're the only sane ones left. It lends them what they've been missing all along, a sense of community and purpose. We all need that feeling of acceptance from someone and if no one else is willing to give it, well a nazi will do, especially since they'll reinforce your preconceptions about society and love you (in a way). I don't mean to sound too sympathetic to these folks, but I really believe most of the alt-right rank and file are not unsalvageable. There's a core of die-hard shitbags who deserve a long one way train trip out east, but most of the kekistanis are just lost souls who could be redirected with the right tactics.

The last chapter of Angela Nagel's new book on the alt-right, "Kill All Normies", deals with this directly.

Nagel's more of a journalist than a scholar and she seems to take the alt-right's claim about "hypergamy" at face value. In my own experience there is hardly a "steep sexual hierarchy" for men on the contemporary dating / hookup scene. Perhaps my perceptions are coloured by living in big cities and mostly hanging around with a university / professional crowd but it seems like most folks of both sexes can get laid easily enough (securing a long term relationship with a committed partner seems somewhat less frequent but is hardly uncommon). There does seem to be a slice of the population who have almost no sexual or romantic partners but it seems like the real barrier for them is a mixture of social isolation, anxiety, overly high standards of unrealistic expectations, and self-segregation (i.e. spending all day on the internet or gaming). The idea that large numbers of men are denied sexual opportunities because a sexual elite is taking all the women doesn't even come close to matching up with my own experiences and I wish she'd explain what evidence she sees for this.

But regardless of what the cause is I think that Nagel accurately describes the alt-right perspective here, even if that perspective is a weird fusion of gonzo porn and 1980s high school movies. They perceive themselves as an oppressed class being denied a precious resources (i.e. sex and romance).