Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

We had to leave our 6 year old cat at the vet today, because she threw up a lot yesterday until there was foam and then nothing. She's been dry heaving all night. They couldn't find anything at first check up but they're gonna sedate her and do a more exhaustive look.

edit: and of course it's a long piece of grass she got lodged in her throat and nose. loving cats.

sensy v2.0 fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

justFaye
Mar 27, 2009
We just took one of the cats to the emergency vet last night because she had a very swollen paw and leg with some hair loss and abrasions on the same leg. Turns out something irritated her (unknown cause) and she licked her paw and leg to infection. She is on antibiotics and whatnot and had a plastic cone of shame now.

Question: is it possible to wrap her leg and paw with gauze or such instead of using the cone all the time (at least when we can keep an eye on her to make sure she doesn't pull the bandage off)? She's having trouble eating and drinking (and navigating) with the cone.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Hyperlynx posted:

Lately, I've started paying more attention to how my cats position their tails, to read their body language. I recognise most of the positions they use from stuff I've read, but one I don't: tail curving high over the back in a crescent shape. I'm having trouble googling up a credible source explaining that one. Any links?

My cat does this - he sticks his tail up in the air with a crook at the end in the classic 'hey there' happycat style, but then it flops over after a while so I reckon he's just lazy.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

My experience has been that a crescent tail like that is basically the same as a question mark tail just with... an accent, I guess?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Any tips on teaching very young children how to interact with animals? My niece is less than year old and adores our cat. Happily the feeling is mutual, but he is also hands-down the most mellow cat I've ever seen. He didn't react even when she managed to yank a handful of belly floof. I imagine that would go... less smoothly with any other cat, and I'd like to avoid setting bad precedents.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Rangpur posted:

Any tips on teaching very young children how to interact with animals? My niece is less than year old and adores our cat. Happily the feeling is mutual, but he is also hands-down the most mellow cat I've ever seen. He didn't react even when she managed to yank a handful of belly floof. I imagine that would go... less smoothly with any other cat, and I'd like to avoid setting bad precedents.

It's difficult with very young kids because their motor control isn't very good, so even when they're trying to be gentle they often end up whacking animals. Under a year is also a bit too young to properly understand the difference between petting and grabbing or hitting, to be honest.

What might be a good idea is teaching her how to interact with cats in other ways. Showing her how to feed a treat to the cat, how to play with a cat using a fishing rod toy or string, and teaching her to hold out a hand and let the cat rub it rather than actively petting, are all good ways to let a small child make friends with a cat without getting scratched or bitten. Teaching how to pet can come later when she's got better control of her hands and understands 'no' and 'gentle' as concepts. We've been doing this with my niece (nearly 2) and she LOVES making the cat jump around after a toy, probably more than she loves petting it.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

That's all good advice, to add to it I'd say it depends on the kid. Some of them are really good with animals and some get too excited and it's hard to get them to stay calm. "Only on the back" is a good rule for little kids. Make petting something you do together so you can control her hand motions. Take her hand in your hand and make sure you just pet in a straight line one way along the spine, so you don't ruffle the fur backwards. And say stuff like "gentle, always be gentle" or however you want to explain it to her. Kids (and cats) pick up on your mood so if you're very calm and in control it'll help them be the same.

I'm in a similar situation with a 2yr old Niece who adores the "meow-meows" so I've been dealing with this myself. :D

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

My niece isn't a great talker yet so she calls them Now-nows :3:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

My nephew had a bit of a restraint problem with his family's cat and would be very rough with it til it gave him a good few bites. :v:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Can someone explain what this cat's trying to teach this other cat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpksB13yKfM

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That the world is full of jerks

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

When I was very young I would apparently take hold of Tammy's tail and let her lead me around while proclaiming that "Kitty has a handle!"

Given how upset other cats have always got when you grab their tails, I'm shocked I didn't get savaged :v:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

"This is my tree. Get lost, jerk."

Vampess
Nov 24, 2010
So, Tiger found this clear bouncy ball somewhere (rented house; there might've been cats or something), anyways, it went over the balcony, and it was her favourite toy, so my BF ordered a buttload from Amazon;

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/dQxNYWB.jpg[[/timg]

Tiger looks appropriately overwhelmed.

(I was going to do an "unboxing" video, but customs screwed up our package, and as is, the video is mostly me telling Tiger 'it's ok', while BF pours out bouncy balls :P)

Vampess fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 5, 2017

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

:capitalism:

Thanks for the advice, y'all.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Just moved my cat(and myself) into a house with an established cat. For various reasons, prolonged introductions weren't feasible and they are not getting along. I thought the established cat would be the aggressor, but I just saw my cat chase after her and there was a very loud shriek and some kind of fight that I didn't witness.

The established cat is an outdoor cat, so she has spending most of her time outside. I try to let her in, my idiot runs up to the door and chases her off. She's clearly threatened and I'm worried that one of them will get hurt. I know hissing and some fighting is normal but these are the blood curdling shrieks with fur flying - the kind of fights they tell you to break up.

My question is, how long should I let them try and sort out a pecking order? I don't want this to manifest itself in a behavior problem for either of them, and frankly, I feel guilty that the established cat might feel unsafe in the only home she's ever had. It's only been a few days but this is an older cat that's been solo for most of her life. Give it a month? Six weeks?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Just moved my cat(and myself) into a house with an established cat. For various reasons, prolonged introductions weren't feasible and they are not getting along. I thought the established cat would be the aggressor, but I just saw my cat chase after her and there was a very loud shriek and some kind of fight that I didn't witness.

The established cat is an outdoor cat, so she has spending most of her time outside. I try to let her in, my idiot runs up to the door and chases her off. She's clearly threatened and I'm worried that one of them will get hurt. I know hissing and some fighting is normal but these are the blood curdling shrieks with fur flying - the kind of fights they tell you to break up.

My question is, how long should I let them try and sort out a pecking order? I don't want this to manifest itself in a behavior problem for either of them, and frankly, I feel guilty that the established cat might feel unsafe in the only home she's ever had. It's only been a few days but this is an older cat that's been solo for most of her life. Give it a month? Six weeks?

It's a territoriality issue. Once both of them realize the other cat isn't going away they'll start to make some concessions to getting along.

Give it a week or so.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
In two hours I take Poyo, sweet boopcat, away for her last goodnight.

A good cat.

gently caress kidney disease.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

A good cat.

I'm sorry :smith: she looks like a very good boopcat indeed.

If only they lived forever.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

How important is a feline leukemia shot for an outdoor cat? As much as I don't want to, I might need to start letting my cat have access to the outdoors so the resident cat can do her thing. I think part of the problem is she's used to coming and going freely, now she scratches at the door and my cat comes running because he's a dick.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Thanks, Werong Bustope. She got to sit outside and watch some bees, then had some sniffs of fries and chicken nuggets. And loads of petting.

Puppy Galaxy posted:

How important is a feline leukemia shot for an outdoor cat? As much as I don't want to, I might need to start letting my cat have access to the outdoors so the resident cat can do her thing. I think part of the problem is she's used to coming and going freely, now she scratches at the door and my cat comes running because he's a dick.

Very. FeLV spreads through saliva and mucus. That's why it's called the lovebug virus. An infected cat can transmit it by using a shared water source orfeeding station, grooming another animal, to say nothing of fights and sneezes.

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 6, 2017

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

A good cat.

loving right. She looks like a sweetheart.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

A good cat.

Very sorry about pretty cat.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

A good cat.

I'm so sorry. I'm glad she had a good last day, and I'm sure a great life of boops and pets.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
I can't take a piss without both cats jumping in the sink and staring at me until I turn the tap on for them, so I coughed up for a fountain. It's the size of a hubcap, has a hilariously short power cord, and was kind of annoying to set up...

And the cats like it more than the box it came in.

Ethics doesn't quite understand how water works, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wneOqAvycYk

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Ethics is a pro-tier cat name. Cute cat, too!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Pixelante posted:

I can't take a piss without both cats jumping in the sink and staring at me until I turn the tap on for them, so I coughed up for a fountain. It's the size of a hubcap, has a hilariously short power cord, and was kind of annoying to set up...

And the cats like it more than the box it came in.

Ethics doesn't quite understand how water works, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wneOqAvycYk

That looks so much like my cat when she was a kitten. I need one of those fountains.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Ethics is a pro-tier cat name. Cute cat, too!

He's black and white, like ethics aren't! My black cat is named Snowflake.

...I'm hilarious, goddamn it.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

We adopted two kittens from separate litters (a bad idea in restrospect), and they don't get along too well. We introduced them after keeping them separate for a while, and the shyer one hisses, growls and swats her adorable razor sharp paws at the other one. Any tips on brokering a peace deal?

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Advice I've heard is to feed them next to one another. Feeding time is a calm time. If they can eat together then it makes them feel a bit more at ease. If it's bad enough feed them with a door in between them and have them play through the door. Also, get them to play with the same toys (hopefully) at the same time. If their scents get mixed together they'll trust each other a bit more.

But this is coming from a person who owns a cat that always hisses when she's losing the wrestling match but never when she's winning.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Rated PG-34 posted:

We adopted two kittens from separate litters (a bad idea in restrospect), and they don't get along too well. We introduced them after keeping them separate for a while, and the shyer one hisses, growls and swats her adorable razor sharp paws at the other one. Any tips on brokering a peace deal?

This is normal behavior in cats as they sort out their own rules for getting along. Give them some time and they'll settle in. They probably won't ever be best buddies, but they'll at least tolerate being in the same room with each other.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Just growling and a few swipes? It's fine. Ethics has been with me and Snowflake for a couple months, and I still feel like I'm living in the middle of a fight scene from Daredevil. Snowy's chilled out a bit, and they're playing for fun instead of dominance now, but I keep a watergun at my desk to break it up when they need a time out.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

10 days of antibiotics later my cat is still passing blood on occasion.
Time fore more drugs and a food change.

Hooray.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is there a known problem when a cat kinda throws their food out of their mouth? Mine sometimes chews on a piece of kibble, then shakes his head and it goes flying. I've never figured out why :psyduck: Is it tooth pain or something?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Pollyanna posted:

Is there a known problem when a cat kinda throws their food out of their mouth? Mine sometimes chews on a piece of kibble, then shakes his head and it goes flying. I've never figured out why :psyduck: Is it tooth pain or something?

They fall out of my cats mouth sometimes, she makes a big mess. With my cat at least, she's too silly to use her own teeth properly.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
My cat has had taken to peeing on the carpet ever since he was diagnosed with diabetes two years ago. First he went on an area by the front door, and I put him and the other cat in the basement whenever I went to bed or went out. I had to watch him closely when he was out. He only kicked the habit after being boarded for a family vacation last year. The whole thing really strained my relationship with my dad. A month ago, nearly a year after he stopped doing this, he started to peeing on a section of carpet in the basement living area, and I failed to keep him from resoiling that area. I suggested a litter box in a closet at the base of the stairs, and that just made him more angry. The laundry room is the only place he'll allow them. So the threats are getting more real and unless I "do something" other than the first thing my vet and every pet website and pet store employee suggests, I'm going to lose my cat. Since I give him insulin, I don't know what that means for him.

I took him to the vet a couple weeks ago. His blood sugar is good. Urine culture was negative. There was some vomiting and diarrhea at the start of this, but it's cleared up. He didn't poop outside the box. The urine was a puddle, not a spray. I've caught him in the act a couple times and I've seen no evidence the other cat does it too. He's as active and affectionate as he's ever has been.

I'm unemployed at the moment and moving out seems so far away. I don't have any friends he can stay with. If I wasn't such a loving loser I wouldn't be in this situation. I don't know what to do.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jul 13, 2017

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

One of mine does it too. I think it's just cats being cats; she doesn't seem to be in any discomfort. I think they may be trying to "kill" their food before they swallow or something.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

One of our cats also does the "hunt the kibble" thing, although in her case, it's knocking kibble out of the dish and onto the floor before eating it. I've wondered if getting a puzzle feeder for her would satisfy that same urge and be less messy.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Antivehicular posted:

One of our cats also does the "hunt the kibble" thing, although in her case, it's knocking kibble out of the dish and onto the floor before eating it. I've wondered if getting a puzzle feeder for her would satisfy that same urge and be less messy.

Mine did this constantly, until I got her a really wide flat dish. I read about it, "whisker stress".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
My cat is just a weirdo who will gobble it out of the bowl, or eat with her paws depending on her mood. This is also how wet food gets all over the walls. (she eats both wet and dry, because she's a demanding weirdo)