Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

pubic works project posted:

Separate universe I believe.

Post-Infinite Crisis, the mainline DC universe takes place on what is now called 'Earth-0'. The Earth One books are essentially the equivalent of Marvel's Ultimate Universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Roth posted:

Joker owning GL for a while in The Casting is just the lamest thing ever

I feel like I understand even less about Dark Days now

Is it Hal Jordan? Was the owning based on talking to him? I buy it.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Skwirl posted:

Is it Hal Jordan? Was the owning based on talking to him? I buy it.

No, it was a fight

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

As far as jokes go, Lanty, I work blue! And what do you get when you take blue from Green? YELLOW! A-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Onmi posted:

On the other hand I'm 99% sure that relationship is dead and buried and good, I didn't like it anyway. Donna was best It'll never happen again thought

That relationship being gone is one of my favorite examples of the N52 completely loving up the timeline, since their breakup hinged on Kyle admitting Jade was the love of his life. Jade, daughter of Alan Scott, neither of whom existed anymore in N52.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Roth posted:

No, it was a fight

Oh, that's dumb unless it involved a lemon meringue pie. Banana custard would also be acceptable.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

TwoPair posted:

That relationship being gone is one of my favorite examples of the N52 completely loving up the timeline, since their breakup hinged on Kyle admitting Jade was the love of his life. Jade, daughter of Alan Scott, neither of whom existed anymore in N52.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Kyle simply didn't make sense in the N52, and they couldn't settle on what his backstory actually was.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Roth posted:

I thought TT Earth One was like a boring Runaways honestly.

Pretty much. It was a step in the right direction at least.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Onmi posted:

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Kyle simply didn't make sense in the N52, and they couldn't settle on what his backstory actually was.

Yeah but they like the Torchbearer element of his conception that it gets resurrected and reused time and time again. Sometimes for other characters!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
How did a Pacemaker give Wally West the power to stop time?

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Onmi posted:

How did a Pacemaker give Wally West the power to stop time?

No given reason.

The actual reason is probably, much like the costume, they're just trying to quickly separate him from being similar to Barry. I imagine a name change is coming up in the future if this sticks.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
I'm assuming it's the Speed Force. Whatever that means.

Maybe that's a reflex Wally's body has acquired for when he feels his heart's about to give out.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

ElNarez posted:

I'm assuming it's the Speed Force. Whatever that means.

Maybe that's a reflex Wally's body has acquired for when he feels his heart's about to give out.

The narration seems to indicate that this is the case - that whenever Wally's heart is getting overstressed that the Speed Force speeds him up to "time stands still" levels to give him a chance to calm down and lower his heartrate.

Also Gotham Academy continues to delight.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Having a very hard time reconciling Zero Year and it's goony dork Riddler with War of Jokes and Riddles' open shirt sexy Riddler

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Open shirt Riddler looks kind of like a dork who went through PUA school.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Onmi posted:

And yet he was in one of the best post Nu52 stories ever written. Seriously ever one read Omega Men

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Madkal posted:

And yet he was in one of the best post Nu52 stories ever written. Seriously ever one read Omega Men

Oh absolutely. Dude's my favorite Lantern and the hero who got me into reading comics (With Marz's run on Volume 3) But well...
1st issue of New Guardians shows Ganthet pulling himself from the bodies of Guardians and swearing as the last Guardian to bestow a ring upon someone, he gives it to Kyle (with a bit more than 'You'll do' this time.) Then the second arc starts up, and immediately after that, Ganthet and Kyle are flying around on Oa with Guardians and other Lanterns so Kyle can report to Kilowog. But he was also still the torchbearer, but Alex also happened. But he was broken up with Sora which was only possible because Jade who no longer exists and what about his tenure on the Justice League which would require Wally and blaaaaaaaaaaaargh.

In a reboot full of plot holes, he was such a walking contradiction to existence I thought for sure it would be a plot point.

Also one of the saddest characters

EDIT: God the Jim Lee costume was ugly.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 13, 2017

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
That's one of my favorites of his costumes, but then again I hate the crab-mask that's apparently everyone's favorite.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If you ditch the dog collar that costume is great.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

That's one of my favorites of his costumes, but then again I hate the crab-mask that's apparently everyone's favorite.

How is it a crab? Like I know everyone calls it the crab mask, but it's just NOT a crab.

Most artists draw it like poo poo though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I dunno, I think what would make it better is some lines and armor.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

CapnAndy posted:

I really liked that costume, dog collar and all. And I also hate the "crab-mask."

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

pubic works project posted:

I really liked that costume, dog collar and all. And I also hate the "crab-mask."

I hate it because it makes him look like he's wearing a sweater

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jesus Christ Kyle, way to perv out on Donna there.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sweet Superman #28 variant by Jorge Jiminez.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Jesus Christ Kyle, way to perv out on Donna there.

Hey, he should just be glad that his subconcious produced Donna and not her sister, that would be an awkward convo.

Course, it didn't matter, this was the point when John Bryne was chucking a fit over Donna being a GL character, and him not being able to tell the 'Definitive Donna Troy Origin'. Marz has been very blatant in how he did not agree with the decision in interviews in the past, and almost every time he writes the character, he goes back to the period with Donna/Kyle.

Also, while Marz says that the book had no major plans changed in that, he does mention in another interview when he returned for "Homecoming" that they had books pulled that had been printed because of Bryne basically going full steam ahead and loving the GL offices.

It's pretty obvious for what happens because every issue after she's pulled from the book is either a crossover, a one-shot, or a PSA. In order.

Alcoholism PSA, Tortured by Desaid for Genesis buildup, Team up with Green Arrow, Team up with Deadman, Team up with Superboy, Fighting one-shot robot dudes in space with ATROCIOUS art

Team up with Green Arrow and Flash, PLOT FINALLY HAPPENS AGAIN.

It's about 7 months of basically nothing really happening for Kyle beyond teaming up with other heroes. Which while fun... don't really move the plot along in any meaningful way. And Kyle typically did have storyarcs.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

What I gather is Kyle just needs his NIN shirt back.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

Sweet Superman #28 variant by Jorge Jiminez.

Everything about this cover is solid, and makes me wish DC did posters.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

That cover is very carol corps

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Except Superman inspiring people seems realistic ;)

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

American Alien was so good

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

The narration seems to indicate that this is the case - that whenever Wally's heart is getting overstressed that the Speed Force speeds him up to "time stands still" levels to give him a chance to calm down and lower his heartrate.

Yes, though the last thing the Speed Force and Wally West needed was a new loving power.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Huh? I don't read Flash or Titans, but that pacemaker from The Lazarus Contract turned out to be a positive thing for Wally?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
So I guess when I said a month or two ago in reply to Christopher Priest's blog post about people not liking Lazarus Contract that Wally's pacemaker would only be a cliche web fluid-style hindrance or an excuse to sideline him I forgot to consider "the source of a new superpower".

I imagine I didn't think about that particular angle because it's unimaginably loving stupid.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
So did all the New 52 stuff with Deathstroke and the Death-family just not happen before the new Titans? I feel like the Wilsons have all had their stories retconned two or three times since the New 52, which is deeply ironic

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Blockhouse posted:

So I guess when I said a month or two ago in reply to Christopher Priest's blog post about people not liking Lazarus Contract that Wally's pacemaker would only be a cliche web fluid-style hindrance or an excuse to sideline him I forgot to consider "the source of a new superpower".

I imagine I didn't think about that particular angle because it's unimaginably loving stupid.
I bet he got the idea from Tracer in Overwatch.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Stealing from DT's post in the Batman thread.

https://twitter.com/AMartinezBueno/status/885803791794270211/photo/1
https://twitter.com/JamesTheFourth/status/885640242404798464/photo/1

:toot:

e: He forgot the utility garter belt, though.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Huh? I don't read Flash or Titans, but that pacemaker from The Lazarus Contract turned out to be a positive thing for Wally?

He can't run fast but now when he starts getting nervous or whatever from not being able to run fast time stops, making him run fast. It's just a bad version of Zolomon's power and it's still dumb.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Yes, though the last thing the Speed Force and Wally West needed was a new loving power.

Agreed, though at least it makes a degree of thematic sense; we've already seen speedsters instinctively speeding up to the point where everything seems to be standing still in response to a threat that they were not consciously aware of (I'm thinking specifically of a Flash issue where - I think this was pre-Crisis Barry even, but I might be getting it confused with a similar Wally story - was in a movie theater when a gunman decided to shoot up the place and suddenly everything stopped and he was all 'hey what's this little feeling in the back of my neck oh poo poo it's a bullet'), so at least it's extrapolating from things we've already seen Flashes do as opposed to a brand-new out-of-nowhere deal.

These are the things I tell myself to justify the time spent reading comics I found disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Agreed, though at least it makes a degree of thematic sense; we've already seen speedsters instinctively speeding up to the point where everything seems to be standing still in response to a threat that they were not consciously aware of (I'm thinking specifically of a Flash issue where - I think this was pre-Crisis Barry even, but I might be getting it confused with a similar Wally story - was in a movie theater when a gunman decided to shoot up the place and suddenly everything stopped and he was all 'hey what's this little feeling in the back of my neck oh poo poo it's a bullet'), so at least it's extrapolating from things we've already seen Flashes do as opposed to a brand-new out-of-nowhere deal.

These are the things I tell myself to justify the time spent reading comics I found disappointing.

The gunman in the theater was Wally. But that's not this. That's just how normal superspeed would be perceived. This is specifically time magically stopping because the Speed Force is being weird because his heart is acting up. Existing in what feels like frozen time is a pretty typical Flash visual storytelling device but that's different from "My heart's bad so now time stops."