Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleSausage
Aug 14, 2003

I'm butter side up, baby.

Taco Defender

Aleph Null posted:

Tales From the Borderlands is the first Borderlands game I played. I bought Borderlands 2 and played it all the way through twice (Gaige). I've since bought but never finished the first Borderlands game and the Pre-Sequel. I just can't get in to them.
TftB is still the best of the bunch.

Gaige's dad is Best Dad. I hope he has like 100 #1 Dad coffee mugs, he deserves them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
The Gaige Echocasts are some of the best things ever and I love them.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I think Homefront: The Revolution may be telling some porkies.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Finally getting around to playing Metal Gear Solid V, it's definitely unlike what I would have expected considering the other games in the series. I'm 20+ hours in, and aside from the prologue, there have been less cutscenes than a Mario game.

But the little thing about it that gets to me every time is just how visceral the game can be. It forces you into action sequences at a regular pace, and though I'm loathed to play MGS lethally, sometimes a mission requires it. Either because you have to blow a lot of equipment up, or just because you're sick of getting spotted and restarting for the 10th time, and you want to take a little vengeance (you are already a demon, after all). I was playing a simple mission where you had to extract a vehicle, but when you finally track it down upon its route, you notice it's being guarded by two tanks. After dealing with the first tank and tailing the fleeing 2 vehicles to the next outpost, I managed to take out the second tank and the driver, and make my way to the target vehicle. This is a main mission, so of course this is the time some Kojima-poo poo is about to go down, and suddenly the Skulls unit appears. I avoid trying to deal with the Skulls, jump into the vehicle and hit the gas, and a few moments later the Skulls destroy the car and cause me to fail the mission. Repeat a pattern similar to this for several more tries, because a drat hair falling causes the vehicle to explode.

I was fortunate to hit a checkpoint right before destroying the second tank (MGS V doesn't allow for quicksaves, and are sparse with checkpoints unless you're traversing a great distance). My 8th or so time reloading, as soon as I take out the tank, a jeep with 4 guys rolls up behind me in alert status. It must have been because of some random spawn, because every other iteration I've raised hell after this checkpoint, they're nowhere to be found. My patience at its end, I take the suppressor off rifle and empty several magazines at them.

Unless you get a headshot, enemies in MGS V don't go down easily when hit with bullets. You might think that means it's hard to confront a group of 4 alert soldiers that got the drop on you, but it's actually easy to incapacitate enemies with bullets, but not kill them. After getting hit a few times, none lethal, enemies fall to the ground and writhe around in pain. They rarely may pull out a secondary weapon and take a last couple shots at you, but mostly they just roll around in excruciating, virtual pain.

At this point they aren't really a threat, but if you decided to murder your enemies in this game, you're probably gonna want to go all the way to make them suffer for inconveniencing you. Walking up to a downed soldier, readying your rifle, and pointing it at their head before pulling the trigger is probably the most violent thing I've experienced in a game. I've always appreciated how deliberate the character animations are in MGS. Snake always moves with such military precision, walking up and executing a harmless enemy on the ground is easily the most morally repugnant feeling you'll experience in a game.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

bewilderment posted:

The 'best' part of that is a whole swathe of nerds apparently not knowing what 'glass him' meant and thinking it meant "pour him a glass of beer" or something.

To be fair it's not as obvious for non-native English speakers and probably could've been worded better.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Kanfy posted:

To be fair it's not as obvious for non-native English speakers and probably could've been worded better.

"Glass the oval office" is the only way. It's such a specific action.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Kanfy posted:

From what I remember seeing, most of the people confused were native English speakers. But you know, Yank English.
Good ol' :britain: English speakers knew what was up.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Croccers posted:

From what I remember seeing, most of the people confused were native English speakers. But you know, Yank English.
Good ol' :britain: English speakers knew what was up.

GAWD BLESS US, EVERY ONE!

I never read the comics, had no idea that it was a prequel or whatever so I really was expecting to get chucked in the well (or at least there to be SOME kind of massive fallout). No harm no foul, I know now that these aren't the games for me.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

cubicle gangster posted:

"Glass the oval office" is the only way. It's such a specific action.

It really was a honeypot for people who never saw Trainspotting to out themselves. Truly the scum of the fuckin' Earth.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Mierenneuker posted:

It really was a honeypot for people who never saw Trainspotting to out themselves. Truly the scum of the fuckin' Earth.

When I was in england we were talking about language differences and my english friend said "there's a reason glass is a verb here" after we watched a few guys get into a fight

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I've always been slightly perturbed by the occupation known as a 'glassie'.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I love how much I truly HATE the antagonists in Watchdogs2. The chick hacker is perfectly despicable. I always go lethal on the Azteca gang after what happend story-wise and that CEO hipster head of Google or whatever is just a fantastic douchebag.

makes me wonder how the fumbled part 1 so bad. Just make your games good and fun, ya divs!

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Drunken Baker posted:

The chick hacker is perfectly despicable.

Yesssss, her and the not-Steve Jobs guy are the worst people in the best way possible, but Leslie is especially amazing. So many horrible gamer/nerd/hacker/vaper stereotypes smashed together in order to create the perfect antagonist. :allears:

The way she fucks with your UI made me more invested in beating her than the death of a niece in Watch_Dogs. I, uh, don't like what that implies about me.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Euphoriaphone posted:

At this point they aren't really a threat, but if you decided to murder your enemies in this game, you're probably gonna want to go all the way to make them suffer for inconveniencing you. Walking up to a downed soldier, readying your rifle, and pointing it at their head before pulling the trigger is probably the most violent thing I've experienced in a game. I've always appreciated how deliberate the character animations are in MGS. Snake always moves with such military precision, walking up and executing a harmless enemy on the ground is easily the most morally repugnant feeling you'll experience in a game.

I always liked this in general about Metal Gear Solid games. Maybe it's because you know you could clear the level without murder, but in all the games killing has an impact on me that I don't get in other games. I actually feel bad for doing it.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Nude posted:

I always liked this in general about Metal Gear Solid games. Maybe it's because you know you could clear the level without murder, but in all the games killing has an impact on me that I don't get in other games. I actually feel bad for doing it.

Weirdly enough, I think part of the reason is that not much changes if you kill people. There are a few things - sometimes a character will have a unique codec conversation after the first time they kill someone, like in MGS2, or like how Snake will freak out for a bit and throw up if you kill too many people in a short period in MGS4 - but for the most part the game just lets you get away with it. Meanwhile, most other games with a non-lethal option will bring it up all the time and the story will change a bit if you kill people, which makes it feel less like a real moral decision and more just a way to change the way the story is going. In a way, those systems encourage killing everything on at least one playthrough, since you get unique events and outcomes if you do.

I'm not sure if any of that makes sense.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Nude posted:

I have no idea if it was intentional gameplay/story synchronicity but as my base grew I went from stealing half the people in every outpost to killing them all and stealing the best just to save time, and this coincided with the story taking darker turns. I didn't realise I was becoming a demon until it was staring me in the face :(

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Yesssss, her and the not-Steve Jobs guy are the worst people in the best way possible, but Leslie is especially amazing. So many horrible gamer/nerd/hacker/vaper stereotypes smashed together in order to create the perfect antagonist. :allears:

The way she fucks with your UI made me more invested in beating her than the death of a niece in Watch_Dogs. I, uh, don't like what that implies about me.

I think it was more to do with the plot of the first game being bad than anything about you

your still a lovely person tho

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Zinkraptor posted:

Weirdly enough, I think part of the reason is that not much changes if you kill people. There are a few things - sometimes a character will have a unique codec conversation after the first time they kill someone, like in MGS2, or like how Snake will freak out for a bit and throw up if you kill too many people in a short period in MGS4 - but for the most part the game just lets you get away with it. Meanwhile, most other games with a non-lethal option will bring it up all the time and the story will change a bit if you kill people, which makes it feel less like a real moral decision and more just a way to change the way the story is going. In a way, those systems encourage killing everything on at least one playthrough, since you get unique events and outcomes if you do.

I'm regurgitating this information secondhand, so somebody please clarify if you are familiar with MGS3....

Wasn't there a part of that game where every soldier that you've killed comes back and you have to fight them again in some sort of dream sequence? And if you've been playing a non-lethal play through, you don't have to fight at all?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

timp posted:

I'm regurgitating this information secondhand, so somebody please clarify if you are familiar with MGS3....

Wasn't there a part of that game where every soldier that you've killed comes back and you have to fight them again in some sort of dream sequence? And if you've been playing a non-lethal play through, you don't have to fight at all?

Yeah, it was the run-up to one of the bosses. They'd even have injuries corresponding to how they'd been killed, including some disturbingly specific ones such as a guy being pecked open by vultures. :catstare:

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, it was the run-up to one of the bosses. They'd even have injuries corresponding to how they'd been killed, including some disturbingly specific ones such as a guy being pecked open by vultures. :catstare:

I went Rambo my first playthrough so that swamp took a loooooong time

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

You could kill a dude, have him be eaten by vultures, kill a vulture, eat the vulture... And the dude would complain that you ate him.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

poptart_fairy posted:

Don't forget that if you then kill and eat that vulture the guy comes back moaning "You ate me! You ATE me!"

It's been said before, but MGS3 is basically little things the game.

^ Motherfucker, we made the same post at the same time.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

fun fact: originally, Kojima wanted the river of the dead to have a whole ecosystem, featuring all the animals you killed interacting. You would be attacked by vultures, for example, but if you killed the End's parrot, it would protect you by flying in circles. The idea was shitcanned in frustration when Kojima's plan to have each of the Pain's ghostly bees act as an individual entity caused trouble with the PS2's memory. when one staffer suggested the bees could simply act as a hivemind as they do in the bossfight, Kojima fired him on the spot for "not understanding how bees work", explaining that they only act that way in the fight because they are under mind control and normally live diverse and autonomous existences. That intern was Hidetaki Kamiya, and his experience working with Kojima allowed him to secure a bright future in game-making. Kojima's bee theory was a central inspiration for The Wonderful 101, as Kamiya was fascinated by the idea of humans acting like Kojima's theory about the two types of MGS3 bee. They later reconciled to make Revengeance together, whereupon Kamiya finally had the opportunity to explain to Kojima that this is in fact how bees work.

Lunchmeat Larry has a new favorite as of 15:49 on Jul 13, 2017

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I cannot tell if you are making that up but I do not care

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

The Sorrow's river of ghosts can have as few as four people (The Pain, The Fear, The End, The Fury), as they're the only people who die even on a pacifist run. All of them die from their microbombs so they always appear the same.

Every other ghost bears the wounds you inflicted on them. So get there with hundreds of kills caused by crotch shots to be assailed by an unending river of guards protecting their groins with their hands.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Zinkraptor posted:

Yeah I think I see what you're getting at, there is no in game reward for killing someone. Games like Undertale you get branching paths so in a weird way it feels like your forced to if you want to see everything, so it feels less genuine. And to deviate a little other games killing is just taken for granted as it's the only way to progress in a game.

I just remembered I was showing my friend MGS2 and he decided to shoot everyone cause he was getting tired of stealth. There was a pile of guys on top of each other, and one guy was struggling to get up and my friend shot him in the face. He turned his head to me and said holy poo poo that was brutal, and went out of his way to do stealth for the rest of the game. And that's when I realized there was only 5 dead guys, and in most games that's a drop in the bucket, but because of the way MGS is made it feels way more violent.

Nude has a new favorite as of 15:55 on Jul 13, 2017

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Nude posted:

Yeah I think I see what you're getting at, there is no in game reward for killing someone. Games like Undertale you get branching paths so in a weird way it feels like your forced to if you want to see everything, so it feels less genuine. And to deviate a little other games killing is just taken for granted as it's the only way to progress in a game.

I just remembered I was showing my friend MGS2 and he decided to shoot everyone cause he was getting tired of stealth. There was a pile of guys on top of each other, and one guy was trying to get up and he shot him in the face. He turned his head to me as was like holy poo poo that was brutal I feel horrible, and went out of his way to do stealth for the rest of the game. And it's kind of when I realized there was only 5 dead guys, and in most games that's a drop in the bucket, but because of the way MGS is made it feels way more violent.

I felt the same way because I decided to replay Deus Ex: Human Revolution on a low-stealth high-violence type playthrough and when i went through the police station level just murdering cops for no particular reason I killed one guy then checked his computer, where he got an email from his wife asking him to take time off because he's been working so hard and his son's coming up from college to visit. I couldn't really continue after that one.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Glagha posted:

I felt the same way because I decided to replay Deus Ex: Human Revolution on a low-stealth high-violence type playthrough and when i went through the police station level just murdering cops for no particular reason I killed one guy then checked his computer, where he got an email from his wife asking him to take time off because he's been working so hard and his son's coming up from college to visit. I couldn't really continue after that one.

Second Sight is a game where the protagonist is coming to grips with sudden-onset psychic powers (and has a huge awesome third-act twist, but anyway). Somewhat early on, it introduces a mind blast ability by killing a guard at the facility you're escaping, in a cutscene.

You can then use his computer, he's text messaging with his wife, just regular wifey things. "Get groceries, love you, etc" "Yes dear, oh hang on a sec someone's coming down the elevator I gotta get this" "Honey? You still there? *sees you log back in* Oh good I was worried for a sec."

You can't type anything, so the wife keeps sending messages. "Well? Say something? What's going on?" If you log out and log back in, she gets more confused.

If you log out and log back in again, she gets pissed off that you're loving with her and logs out.

Also whenever you're confronted with a computer that needs a password, you can idle on the terminal and you'll automatically try lots and lots of passwords, starting with "password" and then various things related to the computer's owner.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

haveblue posted:

I cannot tell if you are making that up but I do not care

:same:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Brofessor Slayton posted:

The Sorrow's river of ghosts can have as few as four people (The Pain, The Fear, The End, The Fury), as they're the only people who die even on a pacifist run. All of them die from their microbombs so they always appear the same.

Every other ghost bears the wounds you inflicted on them. So get there with hundreds of kills caused by crotch shots to be assailed by an unending river of guards protecting their groins with their hands.

I wasn't really a fan of The Sorrow being a lateral thinking inventory puzzle instead of an actual fight (he is invincible and after you successfully wade through the river of the dead he insta-kills you, and the only way to break through the endless loop of dying and restarting is that when the game over screen pops up instead of continuing you open your item menu and take a pill to wake up) but one plus side is that you can skip it all by immediately drowning yourself on the ghost river to bring up the game over screen instead of being killed by the boss and his ghost army.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I bitched about the first hour and a half or so of Fallout 4 in the other thread but I'm glad I went back and gave it another shot. There is a fun game in there, completely hidden by SHAUN! SHAUUUUN! and over-the-top setpieces early on.

Things I'm really liking:

-The gunplay feels incrementally better than 3/NV - it's never going to be COD or anything but it's at least a start.

-The settlement minigame is a blast, and I say that after going into the game actively loathing the whole idea. I really didn't like it at all until I realized I could run around completely deleting houses and building arrays of turrets and stuff over the foundations. There's something really, really satisfying about finding a giant pile of random garbage scenery and turning it into a nice picket fence and some patio chairs. I feel like on the one hand it could be fleshed out quite a bit more, but on the other, I'm already really enjoying what's there and if there was more to do with the base-building I'd probably never actually go and play the game.

-The "new" songs are great, I don't think I've turned off the radio to skip a bad song yet this playthrough. Some of the new songs are so on-the-nose to the setting that it's absolutely nuts when they were published. How the hell was Crawl Out Through the Fallout published in 1960?! :psyduck:

-I'm not very far in and already the game has had some really cool areas with tons of enemies, probably to account for the fact that you get power armor so early on. But it's awesome running and gunning through cities absolutely filled with raiders and ghouls - I feel like I've cleared out some buildings that had more enemies in them than entire map zones of Fallout 3, and on more than one occasion it's made me really think about my strategy and scrounge every last benefit out of my AP.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

What does The End look like in the river if you turn off your PS2 for a week during his boss fight? Or if you snipe him when you first see him before the boss fight?

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Double Punctuation posted:

What does The End look like in the river if you turn off your PS2 for a week during his boss fight? Or if you snipe him when you first see him before the boss fight?

He still counts as dying from the explosion. So he looks the same, if I recall. Just floating face-down in the river towards you.

You can only really change if his parrot is also a ghost, by eating it or letting it go free.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

He still counts as dying from the explosion. So he looks the same, if I recall. Just floating face-down in the river towards you.

You can only really change if his parrot is also a ghost, by eating it or letting it go free.

You can kill a boss by not playing the game for a week??

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yup, he dies of old age, the boss fight is replaced with an elite squad of soldiers, and Snake has a sulk about depriving the man of one last battle.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

food court bailiff posted:

-The "new" songs are great, I don't think I've turned off the radio to skip a bad song yet this playthrough. Some of the new songs are so on-the-nose to the setting that it's absolutely nuts when they were published. How the hell was Crawl Out Through the Fallout published in 1960?! :psyduck:

Cold War and gallows humor, man. Lot of those songs out there, just ask Tom Lehrer.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

poptart_fairy posted:

Yup, he dies of old age, the boss fight is replaced with an elite squad of soldiers, and Snake has a sulk about depriving the man of one last battle.

On the other hand, if you don't wait long enough, The End catches you and makes you go through several areas again to get back to the boss fight. You do get warned when you try to save the game, though.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

ilmucche posted:

You can kill a boss by not playing the game for a week??

It's a short window which requires both a specific spot and weapon, but it's also possible to snipe him some ways before his boss fight which skips the whole thing later on. You're likely to get a wheelchair wheel in the face though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Bn7cL-sWwE

Also this video is from 11 years ago which is a weird thing to think about.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

poptart_fairy posted:

Daughter Niece was just set dressing really. You don't interact with her, she dies in the opening because of Aiden's actions, and everyone tells you to feel bad. You have no emotional connection to the girl.

Hacker lady apparently messes with you, the player directly. Much more connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Kanfy posted:

It's a short window which requires both a specific spot and weapon, but it's also possible to snipe him some ways before his boss fight which skips the whole thing later on. You're likely to get a wheelchair wheel in the face though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Bn7cL-sWwE

Also this video is from 11 years ago which is a weird thing to think about.

Is he in a wheelchair when you fight him normally? Fhat and waiting him out are pretty cool. Thanks Kojima...