Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I got some pretty cool back issues today, such as the first issue of Runaways Vol 2 signed by Brian K. Vaughn, and an old issue of Ghost Rider that I bought purely for this cover

They said the colorist for Runaways was going to be there in August, so I'm going to try to make it to that to get it signed along with Vaughn's signature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Roth posted:

I got some pretty cool back issues today, such as the first issue of Runaways Vol 2 signed by Brian K. Vaughn, and an old issue of Ghost Rider that I bought purely for this cover

They said the colorist for Runaways was going to be there in August, so I'm going to try to make it to that to get it signed along with Vaughn's signature.

Make him sign that Ghost Rider comic instead.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-O posted:

After Axis he never got un-reverted and he ended up kidnapping Janet at one point because he was still in love with her but I'm not sure that even even got resolved as Janet just showed up again in other books without a word being said.

He just showed up to hang out with Cyclops and wasn't evil and they joked about opening a Summers Pizza place. That was at the end of Bendis' run.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Like I'm perfectly aware there's countless ways to Justify (tm) any character suddenly becoming a jackbooted thug but the point is that it's really loving annoying to see this event keep coming up with countless ways to justify characters becoming jackbooted thugs.

It's especially lovely that apparently the bar for whether it makes sense for characters to become actual fascists now is so low that you basically meet the criteria if you were kinda shady and irritable one day or something? Like, Moon Girl might say a swear word next week because she tripped on a rock and I guess that'll be enough to justify her indoctrination into the glorious Hydra Empire

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

just when you think they're stepping away from dumb justifications for heroes to fight each other, they one up themselves with the dumbest justification for heroes to fight each other

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.
Rictor looks drat good with that 'stache, though.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Nobby posted:

Rictor looks drat good with that 'stache, though.

Shatterstar likes mustache rides

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

What book is rictor in now? I been missing the x factor cast lately.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.
He's part of the New Tian squad who showed up to be dicks to the Secret Warriors in their book.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

KittyEmpress posted:

I liked Robbie but yeah he seemed to get some really weird and bad stories that I didn't care about. I would have liked some more street level spirit of vengeance going after Bad Dudes while also abusing.his powers to make his siblings life better.

Instead it felt like it all got derailed harder than even event books derail things.

I also love Nova though, so I guess I am not the target audience for anything Marvel.

It helps (or hurts I guess) that Secret Wars hit just after his first series started to get interesting, killing any momentum it had. Also not good that, as others have noted, his second series was basically a Wolverine/Hulk story that he guest-starred in.

Also Spider-Men II is exactly as disappointing as I'd expected and I have no idea why I'm such a sap for reading it. Also it raises like a bunch of questions about Secret Wars that I'm like 90% sure Bendis doesn't actually know the answers to. I guess Miles knows his whole universe is gone? Even though nobody else seems to know this, including other carryovers from Ultimate? So does he remember that his mom died and is now back? Although I'm glad to see that Bendis still doesn't know how to resolve a conflict with Miles that doesn't boil down to Venom Blasting :thumbsup:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

TwoPair posted:

Also Spider-Men II is exactly as disappointing as I'd expected and I have no idea why I'm such a sap for reading it. Also it raises like a bunch of questions about Secret Wars that I'm like 90% sure Bendis doesn't actually know the answers to. I guess Miles knows his whole universe is gone? Even though nobody else seems to know this, including other carryovers from Ultimate? So does he remember that his mom died and is now back? Although I'm glad to see that Bendis still doesn't know how to resolve a conflict with Miles that doesn't boil down to Venom Blasting :thumbsup:

What? but there wasn't any Venom Blasting, Bendis did something Mega different.

anyways, i agree pretty much entirely.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

hosed up that spider-men 2 is ripping off the superior spidey story: newspaper spider-man

a giant armadillo that spider-man beats by ripping a part of him off? lenny would be ashamed of you, bendis

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Gwenompool was very, very fun and cute. I highly endorse it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Clawtopsy posted:

Gwenompool was very, very fun and cute. I highly endorse it.

Is this Edge of Venomverse #2? I kinda freaked out when I didn't have Gwenpool in my box yesterday but everyone was talking about her.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Yup. That's the one.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

twistedmentat posted:

Is this Edge of Venomverse #2? I kinda freaked out when I didn't have Gwenpool in my box yesterday but everyone was talking about her.

Yes.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

TwoPair posted:

Also it raises like a bunch of questions about Secret Wars that I'm like 90% sure Bendis doesn't actually know the answers to. I guess Miles knows his whole universe is gone? Even though nobody else seems to know this, including other carryovers from Ultimate? So does he remember that his mom died and is now back?

I haven't read Spider-Man in a long time, and Bendis isn't super strict on continuity anyways. But I remember Miles having that awesome cheeseburger scene with Molecule Man, so it would make sense for him to know things about before Secret Wars.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

TwoPair posted:

Also it raises like a bunch of questions about Secret Wars that I'm like 90% sure Bendis doesn't actually know the answers to. I guess Miles knows his whole universe is gone? Even though nobody else seems to know this, including other carryovers from Ultimate? So does he remember that his mom died and is now back?

They've been a little fuzzy about how much people remember about what went down, but the major players do seem to remember more than most.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

howe_sam posted:

They've been a little fuzzy about how much people remember about what went down, but the major players do seem to remember more than most.

The original 5 x-men also remember the ultimate universe

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Axis inversions have been undone by secret wars, unless the writer decides they haven't. sabertooth

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

twistedmentat posted:

And do we have to read #1 first or is it more of a dip in/dip out contained story per issue thing?

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I almost didn't pick up Edge of Venomverse #2, since Hasting's name wasn't on the cover. Really glad I decided to flip through it. It just makes way to much sense for a Marvel fan stuck in the Marvel universe to seek out a symbiot, and the idea was executed even beyond those high expectations. Loved how, of course, Gwen's Venom suit included pants.

Sentinel Red posted:

And do we have to read #1 first or is it more of a dip in/dip out contained story per issue thing?

There is a hint to the overarching Venomverse plot at the end, but otherwise it's a fully contained "what if". I didn't read #1 and wasn't lost at all.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Gwenom has singlehandedly made me fully invested in Venomverse.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gwenompool is goddamn amazing. I now want a Venom-themed spinoff of a Deadpool-themed spinoff of a Spider-Man themed spinoff, so thanks for that Marvel.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
So presumably, a Gwen Poole from a different "real world" than main Gwen was pulled into a what-if Marvel story instead of main Marvel? Well, that notion certainly opens up story possibilities.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

howe_sam posted:

the end of secret wars with miles and his mom kinda implies that he remembers her dying but the first issue of spider-man implies he has no clue that he used to live in another universe. I think spider-men 2 is the first time they've explicitly gone into the subject with miles tho

as to the rest, it depends but doesn't seem to follow any rhyme or reason. doom knows (and that makes sense, if anyone was gonna remember it's doom) but jessica jones didn't and it was a big thing in in the opening issues. the x-men blue team remember (and they sure as hell weren't major players) but jimmy hudson from the ultimate universe has no memory of it. it feels like someone at marvel decided recently that people could talk about the ultimate universe again

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Not to say that any Secret Empire is good Secret Empire but like...

Firestar/Wolfsbane/Rictor/etc. are basically the X-Men for New Tian, which is a terrible idea in terms of all of the mutants getting California and ignoring the whole Nazification of the other 49 states, and the way it's being written in different books suggests it's a straight up collaborator with Nazsteve, and probably assisting in the Inhuman Genocide that may or may not be happening depending on what book you're in, and I guess Xorn still doesn't really exist and is just Emma Frost tricking people into thinking she's not in charge, so ultimately they're working for a genocidal Nazi collaborator not a Nazi but they don't know that? Maybe they just think they're being good guys? Wolfsbane and especially Firestar seemed very unhappy to have to be tracking down fellow X-Men, who admittedly had just broken an entire prison out of jail with literally zero regard for whether anyone in this prison might have actually committed real crimes, the sort that even non-oppressive regimes put people in jail for.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

Not to say that any Secret Empire is good Secret Empire but like...

Firestar/Wolfsbane/Rictor/etc. are basically the X-Men for New Tian, which is a terrible idea in terms of all of the mutants getting California and ignoring the whole Nazification of the other 49 states, and the way it's being written in different books suggests it's a straight up collaborator with Nazsteve, and probably assisting in the Inhuman Genocide that may or may not be happening depending on what book you're in, and I guess Xorn still doesn't really exist and is just Emma Frost tricking people into thinking she's not in charge, so ultimately they're working for a genocidal Nazi collaborator not a Nazi but they don't know that? Maybe they just think they're being good guys? Wolfsbane and especially Firestar seemed very unhappy to have to be tracking down fellow X-Men, who admittedly had just broken an entire prison out of jail with literally zero regard for whether anyone in this prison might have actually committed real crimes, the sort that even non-oppressive regimes put people in jail for.

I feel that this xorn is magneto again. He is being written completely different than Bunn has been writing Xorn, and allows Magneto to be running the show

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

bobkatt013 posted:

I feel that this xorn is magneto again. He is being written completely different than Bunn has been writing Xorn, and allows Magneto to be running the show
One of the tie-in books has already shown that Xorn is like literally a dummy in a chair that Emma Frost makes everyone think is a real person.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

God I hate event books. I haven't been keeping up with Secret Empire at all so this is basically my fault, but I was really enjoying how X-Men Blue seemed to be heading towards folding some Ultimate people back in -- then derp here comes a massive wet-poo poo speedbump that derails everything and 95% of the interest I have in picking up the next one. Doesn't help that I sort of hate Xorn since I'm pretty sure his power is having a continuity hole instead of a brain.

Jean Grey was good though. With X-men Gold jumping right into racist hate-crime murderer territory, Jean's my favorite of the current xbooks by far, though it does require accepting the 'the phoenix is TOTALLY UNCONTROLLABLE' retcon they've been pushing since AvX. :sigh:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Manatee Cannon posted:

as to the rest, it depends but doesn't seem to follow any rhyme or reason. doom knows (and that makes sense, if anyone was gonna remember it's doom) but jessica jones didn't and it was a big thing in in the opening issues. the x-men blue team remember (and they sure as hell weren't major players) but jimmy hudson from the ultimate universe has no memory of it.

All the O-5 remember is visiting the Ultimate Universe that one time (minus Cyclops who was in space with his dad), but that's a bit removed from remembering the multiverse exploded and everyone worshipped Doom for a little while.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

:getin:

Edge & Christian posted:

One of the tie-in books has already shown that Xorn is like literally a dummy in a chair that Emma Frost makes everyone think is a real person.

And she's also (presumably her or someone under her command) "psychically programming" the guards in X-Men Blue -- I assume she's doing it elsewhere. She was powerful enough to project Scott still being alive for how long --to characters with some of the best psychic-defenses in the marvel universe?

I have no clue for Firestar, but Havok is a dumb one to get hung-up on. Guy's brother died and he nearly died himself because of the Terrigen cloud -- I hardly expect him to be the poster-boy of equity and rationality toward the Inhumans, especially if he's being pushed.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Donde Esta posted:

And she's also (presumably her or someone under her command) "psychically programming" the guards in X-Men Blue -- I assume she's doing it elsewhere. She was powerful enough to project Scott still being alive for how long --to characters with some of the best psychic-defenses in the marvel universe?

I have no clue for Firestar, but Havok is a dumb one to get hung-up on. Guy's brother died and he nearly died himself because of the Terrigen cloud -- I hardly expect him to be the poster-boy of equity and rationality toward the Inhumans, especially if he's being pushed.

Is Havok still inverted from Axis? I stopped following him after that so I have no clue.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The Vanishing Point end to Secret Empire is now officially confirmed and spoiled.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ireuNkPPdPY

e: That video has an (old) image featuring Reed Richards. Nobody tell Ike.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 13, 2017

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

SilverSupernova posted:

Is Havok still inverted from Axis? I stopped following him after that so I have no clue.

scroll up or hop on the end of last page. Peeps were talking about it there.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

The Vanishing Point end to Secret Empire is now officially confirmed and spoiled.

So which characters are going to get sucked into the Nexus (Vanishing Point) and end up banging old flames outside of space-time, only to be buried under a bunch of rocks as a farewell?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Teenage Fansub posted:

So with that we're one more bit closer to confirming that leakers stuff?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Onmi posted:

I missed the leaker stuff? Anywhere to catch up on it?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I missed the leaker stuff? Anywhere to catch up on it?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3769189&userid=202903&perpage=40&pagenumber=7#post474161359

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Onmi posted:

I mean, "Secret Empire leads into Generations via some sort of "VANISHING POINT" was something Marvel straight up announced almost a month ago so I don't think you need to be an inside leaker to have said something about that.

The only concrete thing so far is that "TheWhisperer" said Al Ewing was on Spirits of Vengeance, and he's not. It's Victor Gischler.

• Locked thread