Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

dont read the spoilers just wait another 3 days you loving idiots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Stairmaster posted:

Not even 3 days more like 1 day at best.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:
You read the text spoilers

Then you read the korean scans

Then you read the mangastream

Then you read the official release

4x the fun!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I did step 2, don't need steps 3 and 4.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
It's a kurapika chapter anyway ?? :confused:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Leorio chapter when.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I eagerly await the return of Leorio so I can shout THAT'S MY BOY over and over

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

I want leorio, cheadle and also that analyst guy who was working for the government

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Dangerous forbidden techniques that slowly kill you are the worst, because the heroes never have to suffer the consequences anyway.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

e X posted:

Dangerous forbidden techniques that slowly kill you are the worst, because the heroes never have to suffer the consequences anyway.
Isn't the way Luffy uses gears slowly killing him? Or was that before Silvers Rayleigh trained him? :ohdear:

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Isn't the way Luffy uses gears slowly killing him? Or was that before Silvers Rayleigh trained him? :ohdear:

It will never matter is the point. It is pretty silly honestly

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Wark Say posted:

I think it did, but the latter is entirely possible. Ivankov's hormone injections during the war arc also were supposed to shorten his life. I'm guessing it's set up for him to be dying at the end of the series so Chopper can develop his dream medicine and cure him.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Wark Say posted:

Maybe, we don't know. It's just been stated once that the gears put a lot of strain on his body, also Roger fell victim to an unspecified 'incurable disease', the rest is just guesswork from that. There's no reason so far to believe Rayleigh did anything to reduce the strain on luffys body, if anything he came away with the even more horrendous gear 4.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Wark Say posted:

Remember when the Kaioken was destroying Goku's body and when he used the 4x times form of it against Vegeta is was terribly dangerous and then against Freeza he was throwing around 20+ plus and absolutely nothing happened. And didn't Naruto had a technique as well that was destroying his body? And I am pretty sure Ichigo as well.

Seriously, the only time I can thing of where it actually works, is My Hero Academia, because the main characters whole arc is actually about stopping exactly that from happening as he is slowly mastering his power.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, figures.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Yeah, figures.

It worked in berserk because after a few days in the 'zerker armor guts was basically 99% scar tissue and was losing eyesight

Shonens usually dont show the effects, they just state "you Will die earlier" but this doesn't mean anything

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
it is kind of ironic, since that is what they are all about, but the way most shonen handles its fights is why I tend to lose interest in them. Every fight basically follows the exact same, incredible predictable pattern and that just kills any interest in the series all together.

I am always super happy when a protagonist actually loses a fight to a clearly stronger opponent, because it happens so rarely. Its one of reasons I love HxH so much. Almost all of its fights have an actual strategy to it, instead of the hero just being overly emotional, getting angry and unlocking some last minute super special power.

edit: basically, puzzle fights are best fights!

e X fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 13, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

e X posted:

it is kind of ironic, since that is what they are all about, but the way most shonen handles its fights is why I tend to lose interest in them. Every fight basically follows the exact same, incredible predictable pattern and that just kills any interest in the series all together.

I am always super happy when a protagonist actually loses a fight to a clearly stronger opponent, because it happens so rarely. Its one of reasons I love HxH so much. Almost all of its fights have an actual strategy to it, instead of the hero just being overly emotional, getting angry and unlocking some last minute super special power.

The other old cliché is "oh wow this new/secret ability just happens to be a counter to your ability"

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

The other old cliché is "oh wow this new/secret ability just happens to be a counter to your ability"

I think that's just bleach.

e X posted:

And didn't Naruto had a technique as well that was destroying his body? And I am pretty sure Ichigo as well.

Naruto in his like 3 tailed or 4 tailed form was constantly destroying and recreating his cells or some poo poo. Ichigo didn't have anything like that though you could say he was losing his mind each time he donned on his mask until it was resolved.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Kild posted:

I think that's just bleach.

lmao the exact scene in my head was from years ago in Bleach. When that friend of Ikkaku and Kenpachi gets sealed in the baddies ability and is like "great no one can see me so I can reveal my ability now!".

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

e X posted:

Yeah, it's pretty dumb. "Oh noes Kurapica will die with 65 years instead of 80!" /rolleyes

He usually uses the Red Eyes for a few seconds, and then turn back to normal. I think the fight with Uvogin was the only time he needed more than a minute.

That said, Togashi loves to use typical shonen stereotypes and then put his unique twist. Let's see.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

Yeah, it's pretty dumb. "Oh noes Kurapica will die with 65 years instead of 80!" /rolleyes

He usually uses the Red Eyes for a few seconds, and then turn back to normal. I think the fight with Uvogin was the only time he needed more than a minute.

That said, Togashi loves to use typical shonen stereotypes and then put his unique twist. Let's see.

Probably way longer than 65/80. Killua's grandpa's grandpa is still alive and Netero was basically his age too

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I loved that part where Gon did the standard Shounen upgrade and it loving threw him in a coma. Deku's constant self-crippling is also a weird thing.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Turin Turambar posted:

Well, the whole point of the limiation on his power stealing ability is that if he gets something that's hard to use, he might be stuck with it for hours or days.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Emperor time is just nenhax, which is boring and why Im clamoring for leorio. His ability is just vague enough for some sick fights

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Personally i just want all four friends to get back together again and have fun adventures in this curahzy new world

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Terror Sweat posted:

Personally i just want all four friends to get back together again and have fun adventures in this curahzy new world

Yes, I too wish to see the fun adventures of Killua, Alluka, Leorio, and Biscuit.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
kurapikas limitation is actually really good imo because togashi is not a hack so its not going to be handwaved until the very end of the story or never, like in most shonens. i genuinely think we might just see him drop dead at one pt lol

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

literally same

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Turns out he was actually going to die next year anyway.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

my biggest problem with the lifespan being shaved away stuff is "what does that even mean?" what's my lifespan? how does anybody know it? am i going to live to 70 or 80 or 90? well, if i exercise and diet properly i could go pretty far. so, from which of those numbers am i shaving time from? is the universe predestined? does it know when i'll die?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
his lifespan probably wasn't quantifiable until he did so with nen. now, it is like a curse he inflicted on himself and being a huge fuckin' edgelord kurapika probably wouldn't try to have it removed even if it was possible.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, nen effects like that are based on the beliefs of the user. The example given in the comic is that vacuum girl can't vacuum living things, but she doesn't consider blood to be alive (even though it technically has living cells). So in this case, a "lifespan" would be whatever Kurapika considers it to be. And given Kurapika, that'd probably be the average lifespan of someone with his genetics and fitness. He might even be subconsciously keeping a mental tab on it. Or consciously.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think lifespan just means the maximum amount of time he would live barring any other factors, like disease or injury or whatever.

Though that's still confusing cause like, exercise and diet and whatnot also play a part.

Either way I guess the gist is that it's always hanging over his head like some Sword of Damocles.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Clarste posted:

Well, nen effects like that are based on the beliefs of the user. The example given in the comic is that vacuum girl can't vacuum living things, but she doesn't consider blood to be alive (even though it technically has living cells). So in this case, a "lifespan" would be whatever Kurapika considers it to be. And given Kurapika, that'd probably be the average lifespan of someone with his genetics and fitness. He might even be subconsciously keeping a mental tab on it. Or consciously.

Oh, this is pretty good.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

TriffTshngo posted:

Yes, I too wish to see the fun adventures of Killua, Alluka, Leorio, and Biscuit.

Unironically same, though, this would rule.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Huh, while I was rather ambivalent about the Emperor Time reveal at first, and this is as a Kurapika fan, it does have the neat interaction with Steal Chain (which I like the new reveal for; it's interesting and weird and shows that Kurapika took Izunabi's advice about allies in a completely different direction): With this, Steal Chain locking him into Emperor Time until it's used is a significantly bigger drawback than previously thought. No wonder he was able to get it to be as useful as it is. Still kind of iffy about it otherwise, but hey, Togashi's definitely put more thought into this than most people who do that kind of thing do.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

e X posted:

And didn't Naruto had a technique as well that was destroying his body? And I am pretty sure Ichigo as well.

Naruto's SUPER SPECIAL RASENSHURIKEN was a giant ball of microscopic buzzsaws. Being microscopic buzzsaws, they would rip apart whatever got hit on a cellular level. Naruto had to hold this ball in his bare hands, ripping his own hands apart the entire time, but since he had a monster inside he was constantly regenerating.

In Ichigo's case, he was seriously damaging his own body when he first used his Bankai. His body could not keep up with his new speed and strength, and his bones were cracking from the strain. That stopped being a thing after the one fight, but boy was it rad at the time (also because this is right before Aizen stopped Number One and then almost cut Ichigo in half and severed his spine).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:
I'd like it if the lifespan thing was handled by Kurapika aging faster, FFXV style.