Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

One of the funner parts of new MMO content is discovering the mechanics with friends as you're playing.

It was pretty funny getting 1 hit KO'd by the bull in Bardam's Mettle because you assume its like other rubber bandy AOEs where you wanna be as close as possible to avoid anyone else getting hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

that mechanic on the bull in bardam's isn't new, every time that one has been used it has been "get the gently caress away or die"

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
There have been previous cases with the exact same AoE marker where the best choice is to run towards the boss.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
There have been previous cases with that same aoe marker where the solution has been to have another party member stand in between to split damage.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty sure the marker on the bull is the red "get distance" arrow chain thing, and not the "aoe follows you around" one though?

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

yes, that red arrow chain has only been used to indicate "damage done based on distance to source"

strong bird
May 12, 2009

The expanding/shrinking chain always means run away. There's a similar tether used in the liquid fire type and other places where it wants you to go toward the boss

Also a lot of people don't know you can tank the 'charge' AoE rectangle things which is a shame because it's cool

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
First time I saw it I thought about the floor 60 PotD boss. Then I hit Sheltron and didn't give a gently caress again.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:

ilifinicus posted:

yes, that red arrow chain has only been used to indicate "damage done based on distance to source"

I've seen a couple of instances where the chain is swallowed by the boss's model when it's used on melee DPS, and that always results in a really confused dead DPS. :v:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Kjermzs posted:

Hank gave me a fat cat. He is my hero. Thanks for listening.

You're very welcome!

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I feel as though Stormblood had some pacing problems but overall I still enjoyed it, and the characters are good.

I just finished all the DoH/L quests and I really liked all the callbacks/references to things your character has done. So now my WoL has both served the sultana a great banquet and crafted her a rad music box. I wonder how many of those the WoL travels with are aware that s/he's not just a god-slayer/champion of the people but also apparently the best at literally every craft.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Stormblood is unmitigated garbage because it made a complete mockery of my RP buoyancy tier lists which undid literally hundreds of my fanfics in an instant.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Saint Freak posted:

Stormblood is unmitigated garbage because it made a complete mockery of my RP buoyancy tier lists which undid literally hundreds of my fanfics in an instant.

Your stories will always be canon to me, gently caress SE for messing with perfection

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

This was good.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Magil Zeal posted:

I feel as though Stormblood had some pacing problems but overall I still enjoyed it, and the characters are good.

I just finished all the DoH/L quests and I really liked all the callbacks/references to things your character has done. So now my WoL has both served the sultana a great banquet and crafted her a rad music box. I wonder how many of those the WoL travels with are aware that s/he's not just a god-slayer/champion of the people but also apparently the best at literally every craft.

Well in the Miner quests Rowena is incredibly surprised when she finds out that you're a miner, and she seems like someone who would be one of the most informed. So I find it unlikely that most people who haven't personally seen you at work would know at all.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Magil Zeal posted:

The echo seems like a great help for crafting, assuming it can be used.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I assume beyond a certain point people assume stories about the WoL must be bullshit because how can the same person be collecting dung, killing god, gathering berries and solving mysteries all at the same time?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

And stealing pants.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I assume beyond a certain point people assume stories about the WoL must be bullshit because how can the same person be collecting dung, killing god, gathering berries and solving mysteries all at the same time?

Not to mention being a champion chocobo racer, Triple Triad player, Lords of Verminion player, and a homeowner.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

People keep coming to the dung collecting quest as if it's some sort of sleight against the WoL's status. It makes perfect sense in context as you're pretty much helping kids do chores, which to me is a pretty heroic thing to do. The whole Azim Steppes story is so :kimchi:

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Throw in the stuff you can get involved in assuming you've done all the DoW/M job/class quests (or even just some of them) and WoL sure has his/her fingers in a lot of pies.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

SettingSun posted:

People keep coming to the dung collecting quest as if it's some sort of sleight against the WoL's status. It makes perfect sense in context as you're pretty much helping kids do chores, which to me is a pretty heroic thing to do. The whole Azim Steppes story is so :kimchi:

It is what it is.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Magil Zeal posted:

Throw in the stuff you can get involved in assuming you've done all the DoW/M job/class quests (or even just some of them) and WoL sure has his/her fingers in a lot of pies.

I hope they washed their hands first

Related to this discussion, I love the bardmode primals, lorewise, in that instead of shoehorning a reason for the primal you killed coming back to life, the premise is literally just "we're making up a story about how totally cool and hard that fight was, honest"

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Waci posted:

Only personal relationships the WoL are like... Aymeric and Haurchefant.
And Zenos. At the very end, I'd like to think that while everybody else was screaming the WoL gave a little wave and shy smile.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

strong bird posted:

I cleared all the content this patch blind

I've cleared all the content I've done (I've not been to Lak Ex yet because I'm busy and when I'm not busy I'm tired) while being dumb as gently caress.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Beating the Minstrel's Ballad fights should unlock dialogue for npcs to text-bubble in town where they argue over the particular details of your encounters

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
hey someone in tpt we need fc buffs i'm going bankrupt doing my drg quests

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SettingSun posted:

It's not actually a slight, it's just funny, especially because due to the way the leveling curve works it's pretty easy for the dung quest to be the one that levels you up.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
What if the MSQ was all a dream?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phone posted:

Then presumably we're going to fight Larry, Moe and Curly followed by Wrexsoul in order to help Hein save Kaien's soul.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Phone posted:

Then the dreamer needs a better imagination.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I've cleared all the content I've done (I've not been to Lak Ex yet because I'm busy and when I'm not busy I'm tired) while being dumb as gently caress.

I'm smart, cool and, within the confines of the video game, very cute.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Josuke Higashikata posted:

:same:

Game's pretty forgiving all things considered

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Bell_ posted:

And Zenos. At the very end, I'd like to think that while everybody else was screaming the WoL gave a little wave and shy smile.

Xenos is totally the cyborg ninja guy from MGS. "More!!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Gate posted:

Xenos is totally the cyborg ninja guy from MGS. "More!!"

Oh come on. You pick Zenos when Mr. Namedays All At Once is in the game?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
4.0 msq I think the parallels between zenos and the chainsaw roegadyn are interesting, since you're basically 'the zenos' to the latter; you kick his rear end regularly and without issue despite him trying numerous different tactics, but it just drives him to fight more and get more desperate. he wants The Big Frag, just like we do with zenos.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ainsley McTree posted:

I hope they washed their hands first

Related to this discussion, I love the bardmode primals, lorewise, in that instead of shoehorning a reason for the primal you killed coming back to life, the premise is literally just "we're making up a story about how totally cool and hard that fight was, honest"

Yoshis bard embellishes the poo poo out of our exploits is my favorite framing device for difficulties.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I really hope the new houses come online for this 4.05 patch. Or is that too much to ask?

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Jinh posted:

I'm gonna spend all drat weekend making insane hotbar stuff happen. I'd love to make a "combat mode" hotbar swapper that gets rid of everything extraneous like my 4 bars full of emotes, job switching buttons, and stuff like meld/dye

What you want is probably /hudlayout X, and maybe /battlemode (/bm). When you open up the HUD layout menu, you'll see that you can have four different slots to save your current UI to. /hudayout X will change your current hud slot to whatever you replace the X with i.e. /hudlayout 1 will change to slot 1, /hudlayout 3 will go to slot 3, etc. What I do is have slot 1 saved and customized for tanks/dps in combat, 2 is for healers in combat, 3 is for out of combat tanks/dps, and 4 is for out of combat healers. Every class has its own macro for switching to it that sets me to the out of combat version of their HUD. Then, on a hidden shared hotbar that I bound to Z, I use the following two macros:

PLD and BLM have the macro that switches to the other class's hotbar on their own hotbars (BLM has Draw! bound to that slot on hotbar 10, PLD has Sheathe!). /bm is just another name for /battlemode, which makes you draw or sheathe your weapon. The macro Draw! makes you draw your weapon, switch to the combat version of your HUD, and then swaps the layout of the hidden hotbar so it now has Sheathe! bound to it. Sheathe! makes you put your weapon away, switch to the out of combat version of your HUD, and puts the Draw! macro back onto the hidden hotbar. Together, they give you something similar to what Galaga Galaxian posted yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

sure okay posted:

I really hope the new houses come online for this 4.05 patch. Or is that too much to ask?

Yoshida already said in an interview that they're not opening up until 4.1 at least. Sucks, but such is life.