Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

AndrewP posted:

I'm pretty sure my sensors and USB ports are all working correctly and I'm still getting graphical/tracking in my Oculus. Not sure which it is, I just know that every few seconds it stutters when I move my head. Wonder if it's my HMD. My neighbor actually has a Rift so I'm going to see if I can plug his in and get the same result.

Its probably your USB setup, what do you have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

AndrewP posted:

I'm pretty sure my sensors and USB ports are all working correctly and I'm still getting graphical/tracking in my Oculus. Not sure which it is, I just know that every few seconds it stutters when I move my head. Wonder if it's my HMD. My neighbor actually has a Rift so I'm going to see if I can plug his in and get the same result.

What video card are you using? NVIDIA based? Are you on the 384.xx drivers? Try rolling back to 382.xx. I've heard people have had VR issues with the 384 drivers and rolling back fixed it.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

rage-saq posted:

Its probably your USB setup, what do you have?

I have the Inateck 4 port PCIe card that Oculus recommends. I went through and disconnected each sensor separately to see if I could pinpoint it and it does it regardless.

I agree that somewhere in this is the root cause. I'm lucky to have another set up that I can test on my machine, so we'll see.

Nalin posted:

What video card are you using? NVIDIA based? Are you on the 384.xx drivers? Try rolling back to 382.xx. I've heard people have had VR issues with the 384 drivers and rolling back fixed it.

Yeah, 1070. I'll give this a shot.

e: didn't work :(

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 13, 2017

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

AndrewP posted:

I have the Inateck 4 port PCIe card that Oculus recommends. I went through and disconnected each sensor separately to see if I could pinpoint it and it does it regardless.

Yeah, 1070. I'll give this a shot.

If the drivers don't help and you have Amazon Prime try this card and if it doesn't solve it just return it.
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-SuperSpeed-Power-Quad-Controller-PCIUSB3S4/dp/B00HJZEA2S?th=1&psc=1
Your problems sound a lot like the ones I had with the Inatek card before I returned it for the StarTech above.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

AndrewP posted:

Do you have 3 sensors? How is it if you just leave 2 hooked up, set them up front facing even, does it still do that? What if you try only having 1 sensor set up on 3.0 and the rest on 2.0, any difference?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

These are my USB controllers on my P67 board. Looks like I have four USB 3.0 ports across 2 controllers (rear panel, front panel). Think this should be sufficient for up to 3/4 sensors and a Rift?

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Yeah

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Doesn't make up for the cost difference, but I'm really glad I don't have to mess with all that on the Vive. Now getting the bluetooth to cooperate on the other hand...

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

This isn't a new price, it's just a sale. In 5-6 weeks, the Rift + Touch will be back to 500 dollars.

I believe the previous price was $600 not $500 and that is the price it will presumable return to. Getting the Rift at $300 is crazy as it was $800 just 5 months ago.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Some people are saying that you can just run everything via USB2 without any noticeable difference in tracking, so that might be worth a shot if you are having USB3 issues.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

This might be of use to some rift folks: http://www.emuvr.net/download/GuardianBoundaryEditor.zip (I'm linking directly to the file because I don't want to bother linking the reddit post about it, but if you want to, here it is anyways).

The developer of the seemingly forever teased but awesome looking emuVR emulator released a really cool program for the rift. What it does is let you from your desktop save, load, and change your guardian boundary at will to whatever shape you want. This was really awesome because for lone echo I wanted a biiiiit more warning, so I shrunk my walls, saved it and now when i play lone echo I can load that one, or when I'm playing most other casual or atmospheric roomscale stuff I can load up my larger boundary all without having to fiddle around with resetting and redrawing them each time.

I can't recommend it enough.

EDIT:

Oh what the hell, since I mentioned them anyways... I'm just dying waiting for them to finally release emuVR. Boy does it look amazing...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU86_q6s65c

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jul 13, 2017

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Bhodi posted:

Make sure you get the updated driver off of their website: https://www.inateck.com/support/search/?q=KTU3FR-4P because the one that ships with windows is old.

Just as another data point, I initially did this, but my USB devices started randomly disconnecting and my PC started blue screening every few days - something I'd not seen on my home PC in more than 10 years. Debugging a dump file pointed to a crash in the USB stack. Uninstalling the inateck drivers and using the default Windows 10 drivers instead stopped it entirely and I haven't had any problems in the ~6 months since.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

..btt posted:

Just as another data point, I initially did this, but my USB devices started randomly disconnecting and my PC started blue screening every few days - something I'd not seen on my home PC in more than 10 years. Debugging a dump file pointed to a crash in the USB stack. Uninstalling the inateck drivers and using the default Windows 10 drivers instead stopped it entirely and I haven't had any problems in the ~6 months since.

I had similar issues, currently using the one W10 installs by default & oculus settings complain that I could update the driver but it works fine.

Also USB 3.0 vs. USB 2.0 - 2.0 comes w/ video compression, so if you have a very large area you'll find that 3.0 works a bit better, made a difference for me b/c my playspace is ~18x17ft.

edit: \/\/\/ hell yeah, man! it's a 2-car garage converted into a theater room, I initially had it set up in my ~12x12 computer room & was so excited when I realized I had a way better option.

FormatAmerica fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 13, 2017

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

FormatAmerica posted:

... b/c my playspace is ~18x17ft.

:stare:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
That's so weird, for me it's the other way around. Computers were a mistake.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Bhodi posted:

That's so weird, for me it's the other way around. Computers were a mistake.

Wisdom. Do whatever works best for you & once it's working never gently caress with it again.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Anyone know where you can get the vive audio strap in the UK?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

FormatAmerica posted:

I had similar issues, currently using the one W10 installs by default & oculus settings complain that I could update the driver but it works fine.

This is my recommended course of action too after a bunch of issues with the manufacturer drivers. It's been buttery smooth ever since.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Oculus is apparently readying a $200 stand-alone VR headset:

https://techcrunch.com/2017/07/13/oculus-reportedly-planning-200-standalone-wireless-vr-headset-for-2018/amp/

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Facebook and Xiaomi? Somehow this thing is going to manage to send analytics on your dog's browsing habits to China, I just know it.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
So Oculus cancelled my order directly from their store for some reason. Anyone else have this happen?

I opened a support ticket and they're "looking into it"

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

PerrineClostermann posted:

Facebook and Xiaomi? Somehow this thing is going to manage to send analytics on your dog's browsing habits to China, I just know it.

I doubt that Xiaomi will have any involvement in the software used outside China; they're only really needed because of the rule that you can only sell consoles in China if you're a Chinese company.

I'm not disagreeing with your conclusion, mind you.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They mentioned manufacturing, I wouldn't be surprised if they were involved in the global production of the device.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Hackan Slash posted:

So Oculus cancelled my order directly from their store for some reason. Anyone else have this happen?

I opened a support ticket and they're "looking into it"

Nope, I ordered from them directly and it should be here tomorrow across two boxes, one 14 pounds (??) and one 3..

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

Sintax posted:

I think people just need an easier way to get used to the movement system, maybe if there was a d-pad + armswing mode, it would be easier to get used to. When I played (only a little with the armswing movement), it was frustrating because it's hard to actually remember to do (at first), and you get stuck or move the wrong way or whatever. If I could fall back to the dpad, and use the armswing for quick movements, it might be ideal. VR is going to be about mixing what feels natural with game systems, so a movement system that is almost entirely unnatural (using arms to walk) is a bit of a VR no-no imho. Although VR is supposed to transport you into a different world, and if that world is one where you smash top-heavy thugs that basically walk with their arms anyway, well, your brain will get used to it.

I tried it with the Touchpad controls last night and it felt like it took a lot of the frantic rush from the game. GORN does the whole massive panic, no clue how to react to a situation of 5 dudes coming to kill you really well and the default controls really add to it. Plus it's helping a fat goon get less fat, so that's a nice bonus.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I'm sticking with the original GORN controls because they don't make me sick.

Also GORN is still great fun and still basically the same old GORN. He spruced up some things but I'm kind of surprised how barebones the presentation still is. Needs some music or something.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

I haven't tried the different control style yet. I honestly like how it is handled already, other than being on the stick buttons for Touch. Often find I'll accidentally hit the small buttons that bring up the VR menus. So putting this on the x,y,b,a buttons would be my preferred choice.

That said, I managed to slam my hand hard enough into my phone to cut my finger via blunt trauma and destroy the glass on the back of my S7. My phone was on my desk with the bottom inch hanging over the edge, so there is a nice line from the desk (also glass) across it.

I'd say the game trailer is accurate.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Just wanted to pipe in here that I just got a Rift from the deal and am blown away. I already have a PSVR and thought that was amazing, but it still has an annoying minor wobble in seated games that makes it uncomfortable to play sometimes. This however is just another whole level entirely. No wobble, perfect tracking, and a bazillion more interesting things that are not available on PSVR. My dad was messing around in Google Earth and was really getting into it. Heck, Minecraft in VR is pretty cool, too.

Love it, definitely worth the $400.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

JazzFlight posted:

Just wanted to pipe in here that I just got a Rift from the deal and am blown away. I already have a PSVR and thought that was amazing, but it still has an annoying minor wobble in seated games that makes it uncomfortable to play sometimes. This however is just another whole level entirely. No wobble, perfect tracking, and a bazillion more interesting things that are not available on PSVR. My dad was messing around in Google Earth and was really getting into it. Heck, Minecraft in VR is pretty cool, too.

Love it, definitely worth the $400.

$400 is a really good deal. Glad you're happy with it, and I'm really excited about all the new people/activity in this thread!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Was nice timing for the game devs too. Right after the big sales are over, you get a huge influx of new players who will pay full price for the games.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Amazon won't ship mine for a bit longer, and even longer for the controllers. I am mad jealous

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Robo Recall is freaking cool as hell by the way. The moment when I realized I could grab the bullets out of mid air and throw them back at the enemies...

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://store.steampowered.com/app/665430/Rich_life_simulator_VR/

quote:

Life is difficult for everyone; everyone has bad days. Everyone has trouble in their life, because it doesn't matter how rich you are: Sickness and trouble and worry and love, these things will mess with you at every level of life. Rich life simulator VR is a simple way to feel yourself rich just wearing VR helmet.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Hey, does anyone ever pass the disc in Echo Arena? I have never once seen anyone do this intentionally yet. Everyone just seems to chuck it downfield when it feels like the smart play would be to pass to a teammate. What I'm saying is stop being ballhogs you jerks

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Honestly with good enough production values "pretend to be a rich celebrity" VR simulator would probably sell gangbusters.

Like you get to do coke with Johnny Depp and then you run from the paparazzi and then you drive drunk and get caught by the cops but they let you off and then you go home and there's already a party there

I wonder if people are going to start wearing gopros around and recording their lives for VR playback at some point; Strange Days style.

Why just watch The Oscars on television when you could Be John Malkovich for real?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

JazzFlight posted:

Robo Recall is freaking cool as hell by the way. The moment when I realized I could grab the bullets out of mid air and throw them back at the enemies...

You can also use your guns to deflect bullets. Also, if your gun runs out of ammo, throw it at an enemy and catch it off the bounce. Magically all the bullets are back.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

AndrewP posted:

Hey, does anyone ever pass the disc in Echo Arena? I have never once seen anyone do this intentionally yet. Everyone just seems to chuck it downfield when it feels like the smart play would be to pass to a teammate. What I'm saying is stop being ballhogs you jerks

I've seen it, yeah. Just call out to your teammates. Use your voice, man.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

AndrewP posted:

It's tough to aim well enough to pass, and the people you pass to will often not be coordinated enough to get to where the disc is going and catch it

Passing is a really good idea, it's just tough. Once people get better they'll do it more.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
My deluxe audio strap should arrive today so I am pretty excited for that. Might do a full write up on it if anyone gives a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Lemming posted:

It's tough to aim well enough to pass, and the people you pass to will often not be coordinated enough to get to where the disc is going and catch it

Passing is a really good idea, it's just tough. Once people get better they'll do it more.

I hope there's some training modules included eventually. I know there's a little side room to practice in but I'm talking more like the Robo Recall gun range where you can practice the release and really get comfortable with how to throw the disc.