Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

xrunner posted:

You forgot the part where Ken Gorden felt the need to talk about how many cigarettes and how much pot the employee smokes as justification for paying poverty wages.
I left out a bunch of stuff but fortunately all the details are pretty much in the articles I linked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/ZaibatsuNews/status/885234864588341248

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

gosh I can't imagine why a bunch of employees, upon seeing one of their own get fired and publicly raked over the coals for talking about the business in anything less than a glowing light on record, would ever tell a lie about the quality of the business or the experience of working there

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

anthonypants posted:

I left out a bunch of stuff but fortunately all the details are pretty much in the articles I linked.

It was one of the K&Z owners that got attention for being an impatient jagoff when demonstrations downtown caused him to be stuck in traffic, too.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Oregon, you need to get your poo poo together. At least our racist assholes are subtle about their lovely beliefs.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Peachfart posted:

Oregon, you need to get your poo poo together. At least our racist assholes are subtle about their lovely beliefs.

They're not that subtle fyi

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Peachfart posted:

Is one attempted murder with a gun really more subtle than two murders with a knife?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

anthonypants posted:

Is one attempted murder with a gun really more subtle than two murders with a knife?

Well, one is less than two.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
The entire PNW needs to get its loving poo poo together.

So do Idaho and Oregon.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I'd like to give myself the small comfort that perhaps the reason this news keeps coming out of the PNW is because people actually care its happening around here. I guess its possible that this kind of violence driven by hate and fear is really centered here but I feel like its potentially just as likely that its going unreported elsewhere.

George
Nov 27, 2004

It's because we pat ourselves on the loving back for being so liberal or whatever. People here vote Democrat like they vote Seahawk.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

George posted:

The entire PNW needs to get its loving poo poo together.

So do Idaho and Oregon.

Agreed, Spokane does deserve to be in the PNW.

George
Nov 27, 2004

Anachronist posted:

Agreed, Spokane does deserve to be in the PNW.

Lol I thought Spokane was in Idaho.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I'm surprised no one is posting about the income tax Seattle is about to impose on high income earners. Apparently this has happened because they believe that the State Supreme Court will overturn the interpretation that income = property that has been in existence since the 30's(or so I have read elsewhere). This reading of the state constitution has prevented any sort of progressive income tax. In fact, the council said they would use some of the money to lower property taxes, which would help the middle class a bit.

http://kuow.org/post/higher-property-taxes-are-coming-local-income-tax-could-help-council-says

George
Nov 27, 2004

Yeah we're all a bit worried about the legal challenges I think. It's cool that the council is unanimously for it but if the state Constitution hates poors we're pretty stuck.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Peachfart posted:

I'm surprised no one is posting about the income tax Seattle is about to impose on high income earners. Apparently this has happened because they believe that the State Supreme Court will overturn the interpretation that income = property that has been in existence since the 30's(or so I have read elsewhere). This reading of the state constitution has prevented any sort of progressive income tax. In fact, the council said they would use some of the money to lower property taxes, which would help the middle class a bit.

http://kuow.org/post/higher-property-taxes-are-coming-local-income-tax-could-help-council-says

Gonzales threw in last minute wording to say they would try and reduce the business and occupation tax. I'm not sure how binding the amendment was, but they are going to side with businesses before people. We will have to be ready to fight them on that.

We knew the legal challenges existed. The only way to overcome them is to fight them though. Kshama even mentioned packing the courts for that.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I hope it is upheld. We need to work to make our horribly regressive tax structure more fair for the poor and to make the rich pay their share(i.e. most of it).

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
This guy is a freelance reporter in the Portland area https://twitter.com/itsmikebivins/status/885688675039723520

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Senor P. posted:

My point with existing hydro electric dams is they require next to 0 maintenence and put out 0 carbon emissions.

My opinion on dam removals stands. What are you going to replace that removed power with? Wind? Alright, where are you going to put it? How long is it going to build and permit it. 3000 MW is a sizable amount of electricity.
1: you are wrong about the 0 maintenance and 0 emissions on pre-existing dams. To assume that dams don't require constant maintenance is folly and stupidity of the highest order - dams are tremendous feats of human engineering and have a ton of moving parts, as well as parts which suffer stress under 24/7 attacks from that strongest of elements - water. Dams require a lot of maintenance, period. The people performing that maintenance are using vehicles and equipment, they're replacing lost hydraulic fluid that's been slowly leaking into the water, lubricants which the turbines cannot operate safely without, etc etc.. On the topic of "zero maintenance" the dam 20 miles from me up the McKenzie has been under continuous maintenance construction for over three years at this point. http://mckenzieriverreflectionsnewspaper.com/tags/leaburg-dam

Then you go out and say "nobody has been studying it enough - what about flood risks? where do we put the alternative?" https://www.usbr.gov/newsroom/stories/detail.cfm?RecordID=56177

2: You can build windmills anywhere you want. In case you aren't aware, it's REALLY windy all up and down the PNW west of the cascades. I've been to Idaho, I remember it being pretty flat and windy as well.. Now an average onshore wind turbine produces 2.5-3 mW per year, that means, 1000 windmills. That's a like, 33x33 grid of wind turbines, roughly. You want about 10-15 sq acres per turbine, which means 10,000 acres, which is around 16 sq miles, which again, is not a heck of a lot of space.

Also you have other issues which wind turbines DO NOT contribute to: restrictions on fish breeding grounds, sedimentation buildup (which requires TONS of maintenance!), and noise levels - have you ever been near a dam? Wind farms are required to put out less than 50 db of sound at sites where it is measured, around the circumference)

finally, 3000 mW is not "a lot of electricity", it is a lot of power. If you cannot define and internalize the difference between energy, power, and electricity, then you really don't know enough to even form an argument on power production infrastructure.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 18, 2017

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Dams are good and useful, but need to be valued against damage they can cause to ecosystems. Personally, I believe that most of the larger dams that serve an important purpose(flood control, power generation, irrigation) should be kept, while removing less important dams that adversely affect the ecosystem.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
If anyone is actually interested in educating themselves on energy policy and production and infrastructure, I'd recommend starting off with Direct Current - an energy.gov podcast, and The Energy Gang podcasts which provide a lot of really interesting and often entertaining info.

On the subject of dams, go to your local library and type in "elwha" or "elwha dam" into the catalog search, and check out the army corps papers, etc etc.. There's literally been 30 years of work prior to the dam removal project beginning, so when people say "well we need more information," okay fine - tell us what information you require before you would be satisfied. There are more than a handful of books on both the before and after of the Elwha project (spoiler: it's been a resounding success by nearly every metric). Here's a timeline if you're curious http://www.elwha.org/damtimeline.html

Also on the subject of dams, you ought to try and find Salmon on the Backs of Buffalo http://www.klamathbasincrisis.org/tribes/buffalofilm111006.htm , which is a short and low-budget documentary from the Klamath Basin tribes, about their political and direct-action work toward removing the dams whiich block the Klamath river at (iirc) three or four different points along its length. One of the interesting parts of this documentary is that the tribes traveled to Scotland and protested outside a shareholder meeting of the power company which owns and is responnsible for the Klamath River dam system - and they changed the stockholders' minds and convinced them to not waste hundreds of millions on required maintenance, and instead take a tax break to allow the dams to be removed. (Congress cock-blocked this, because JOB CREATION).

Finally, DamNation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qou2KkLkYVg is a lot easier to find and a lot more entertaining and overall educational documentary on the US dam system and its history, as well as the guerilla actions of different environmentalist artists and protestors, which have been pretty dang successful. THis one gets bonus points in my book, because the guy doing the camerawork sneaks into a restricted area during the detonation of a dam, and records it. It is awesome to behold the power of the water exploding out of that dam when it blows out. And the guerilla graffiti stuff is rad as well. https://vimeo.com/ondemand/damnation

The main problem with our dam infrastructure, tbh, is honestly that we simply build way, way too many of them without any regard or examination of where they were being placed and what effects they might have long term and short term. IIRC, there were something like 65,000 dams built in the USA between like 1930 and 1980 raising the total number of dams from ~~20,000 to 85,000 in a period of about 40 years.

edit: http://www.klamathbasincrisis.org/settlement/articles2012/scientistssaytheyhavenoagenda022312.htm

quote:

The angry shouts are heard at all the hearings.

During October 2011 hearings on the Klamath Dam Removal Draft Environmental Impact Statement/Environmental Review, audience members, especially in Klamath Falls and Yreka, often loudly shouted and insisted “bad” or “junk” science was being used to justify proposals to remove four Klamath River dams.
The perception is that we’re an arm of the propaganda machine to develop a point of view,” said Mike Belchik, a senior fisheries biologist with the Yurok Tribe. “I flatly deny that.”

Mark Hampton, a fisheries biologist with the National Marine Fisheries Service office in Yreka, said information used in various studies has been peer reviewed by experts in specific fields with no stake in Klamath River Basin issues.

“I don’t know what more you can do,”
“It’s such a lightning rod,” says Dr. Thomas Hardy, the author of the Hardy Phase I and II reports on Klamath River water flows, of Klamath River Basin issues.

He knows about controversy. Hardy I, which recommended increased water flows from Iron Gate Dam, was used by the National Marine Fisheries Service to justify the cutoff of water to Klamath Project irrigators in 2001.

Hardy, who frequently has been criticized, believes valid science “gets swept away when you don’t get the answer you want.”
I was in Klamath Falls during the water wars from 99-02, it was truly crazy. There were groups of white farmers rolling up and down main street in the back of pickups, wielding 2x4s and tire irons and looking for "hippies" since they were all convinced that there were a ton of environmentalists who'd been bused in from out of town. The farmers also jumped a fence on federally-protected ground and monkey-wrenched open a water valve in order to release water onto their fields.. Nobody was charged, there was little to no investigation.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 18, 2017

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

anthonypants posted:

It is a very well-known place. They even have one in the airport now.

The storyline is that this article came up in the Oregonian on Friday, and then the following Monday he was fired. This follow-up article describes how one of the owners, Ken Gordon, got upset at how he was described by the Oregonian and by social media, but by now he's calmed down. He's posted an apology on Facebook and there's also this Facebook post on their wall, signed by a number of Kenny & Zuke's employees, agreeing that the employee should have been fired, and that it had nothing to do with Friday's article. Maybe they're right? Maybe they were coerced? :iiam:

Literally everything that isn't a journalist is deleted/blocked in this, guess things still weren't going the overpriced delis way!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Literally everything that isn't a journalist is deleted/blocked in this, guess things still weren't going the overpriced delis way!
Hey, you never said why DeFazio was crazy. Why's he crazy? I genuinely want to know.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The Stranger posted a guest editorial by Tim Eyman, what the gently caress?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

seiferguy posted:

The Stranger posted a guest editorial by Tim Eyman, what the gently caress?

It looks like he is making GBS threads on Durkan, so I'm guessing they liked that enough to post something by him.
Its still pretty lovely of the Stranger to acknowledge that rear end in a top hat's existence though.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Peachfart posted:

It looks like he is making GBS threads on Durkan, so I'm guessing they liked that enough to post something by him.
Its still pretty lovely of the Stranger to acknowledge that rear end in a top hat's existence though.

I'm fairly sure that's a genuine endorsement of Durkan, in that she lands (by a very long way) closest to his opinions of any of the major candidates. Lord knows the Chamber of Commerce loves her.

And that loving editorial is loving fantastic. Gee, I just can't understand why Jenny Durkan would be the only candidate scared to be photographed anywhere near Tim Eyman; it just doesn't make any sense, as long as you don't know the first loving thing about Seattle/Washington politics!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
At best, the Stranger is highly inconsistent but over the past few years has been little more than, "Look, something happened! I can't say anything useful about it and I can't be bothered to interview anyone who could but instead I'll just say something reactionary instead. Aren't I just kooky?!"

And their loving film editor claiming every last weather phenomena being caused by global warming is just loving embarrassing.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Solkanar512 posted:

At best, the Stranger is highly inconsistent but over the past few years has been little more than, "Look, something happened! I can't say anything useful about it and I can't be bothered to interview anyone who could but instead I'll just say something reactionary instead. Aren't I just kooky?!"

And their loving film editor claiming every last weather phenomena being caused by global warming is just loving embarrassing.

They have always been poo poo. We can't forget that Savage enthusiastically supported the invasion of Iraq, blamed black people for Prop 8 passing in California, and is consistently pushing transphobic articles in the paper. They have some good journalists, but the editorial board is usually holding them back.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
How about some good news? http://www.seattleweekly.com/music/seattles-music-scene-is-coming-together-to-block-white-nationalist-bands/

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Also, get a load of this guy http://www.wweek.com/news/2017/07/1...ide-his-office/

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

anthonypants posted:

Hey, you never said why DeFazio was crazy. Why's he crazy? I genuinely want to know.

Oh yeah I forgot! It's not so much any one thing just that he has really odd mannerisms and seems to have serious trouble keeping himself in check. Just adds up to a weird dude who was really unpleasant to have to spend time with.

He started screaming at an intern once who asked why he was so against carbon credits (which really dates these stories lol), just really laying into her calling her dumb/stupid, it was incredibly awkward. Another time we were phone banking and he stated that the script was 'garbage' and proceeded to dial without it, immediately getting into a huge argument with some random answerer for like over an hour (on a 2 hour appearance).

I also, and I swear to god this is true, watched him smear a shitload of mayo between two leftover pitas and eat it like a sandwich. I don't know if he's just out of touch or on the spectrum or what exactly is his deal.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Oh yeah I forgot! It's not so much any one thing just that he has really odd mannerisms and seems to have serious trouble keeping himself in check. Just adds up to a weird dude who was really unpleasant to have to spend time with.

He started screaming at an intern once who asked why he was so against carbon credits (which really dates these stories lol), just really laying into her calling her dumb/stupid, it was incredibly awkward. Another time we were phone banking and he stated that the script was 'garbage' and proceeded to dial without it, immediately getting into a huge argument with some random answerer for like over an hour (on a 2 hour appearance).

I also, and I swear to god this is true, watched him smear a shitload of mayo between two leftover pitas and eat it like a sandwich. I don't know if he's just out of touch or on the spectrum or what exactly is his deal.

I thought Fishmech lived in Boston. :confused:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Peachfart posted:

I thought Fishmech lived in Boston. :confused:
Maybe all the representatives from Oregon are just a little off.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This was too much work not to cross-post, so: my take on the Seattle mayoral election:

I'm pulled in different directions by idealism and pragmatism. The only polling done for this election has been poo poo (landline/robocalls); I was initially going to mention it, but reconsidered as--like I said--it's some really lovely polling, with way too many undecideds to be useful. So, the big 6, in no particular order:

Mike McGinn: Former Sierra club attorney, bike activist, former mayor of Seattle (2010-2013). There is a good chance Mike McGinn would make the best mayor of the bunch. I like him quite a bit, and I think he probably learned from his mistakes the last time around. That being said, regardless of what Durkan and The Stranger think, I think he has the longest row to hoe in regards to actually being able to win in the general. Too much loving baggage. He's 2016 Hillary Clinton. If he ends up in the general against Durkan or Hasegawa, I will definitely vote for him, but I think he's literally the worst choice if we want to see a progressive who can get poo poo done sitting in the Mayor's office. Major endorsements: The Sierra Club. Seriously, that's it.

Jenny Durkan: First gay U.S. attorney (2009-2014), corporate defense attorney, dispenser of alcohol to minors and racial slurs. Jenny Durkan is the conservative candidate. She's anti-density, anti-transit, and beholden to the major corporations and businesses in Seattle. She's racked up far more corporate donations and PAC spending than the rest of the candidates put together, and she's likely to be the next mayor of Seattle, and almost guaranteed to make it into the general. She's the biggest homeless sweep booster of the bunch (bigger than even Ed Murray). If you're a progressive, your first priority when casting your vote for someone should be beating Jenny Durkan. She tries to sell herself as being pro-police reform, but major endorsements include: Councilman Bruce Harrell (The Stranger's favorite mistake), Councilwoman Deborah Juarez (god, I want to like her, but between this and the police bunker...), the Seattle Chamber of Commerce, Councilwoman Sally Bagshaw, the Seattle Times (whose past endorsements have featured Rob McKenna, Dino Rossi, and Tim Reichart), SPOG puppet/Republican Councilman Tim Burgess, alleged pedophile Mayor Ed Murray (and if you look at his list of endorsements from 2013, they look awfully similar), and worse, Tim loving Eyman (not a joke*).

Nikkita Oliver: Activist, attorney, artist. Nikkita Oliver is the Bernie Sanders of this campaign. She's got a lot of progressives very excited, she talks a great game on getting rid of regressive taxation, racial issues, and density. She's not nearly as much of a policy wonk as Cary Moon or Jessyn Farrell, but has more personality than the two of them put together. My only real concern is similar to the one the Stranger put up: can she win the general? Honestly, I think she has a better chance than Mike McGinn (regardless of what Jenny Durkan thinks), and I think she's got a much better chance of making it through the primary than Farrell or Moon. She's an outsider in two big ways: she is the only renter running for mayor (all of the other candidates are homeowners), and she's a member of the Seattle People's Party, which puts her as (I believe) the sole non-Democrat of the major candidates. Many people may see that as a downside, given how hard the Democrats just let us get rolled in the budget battle in Olympia, I think it's a pretty big plus. Major endorsements: Seattle Weekly, Kshama Sawant, Socialist Alternative, Councilman Mike O'Brien (who had the decency to say we shouldn't just throw people into jail for being poor in front of a crowd of NIMBYs), King County Councilman Larry Gossett, a weird dissenting endorsement from a portion of The Stranger's editorial board, and the Green Party of Seattle (notable mostly in that they didn't endorse McGinn, I think).

Bob Hasegawa: Labor advocate, State Senator, weirdly obsessed with government banking. Hasegawa's big thing is wanting the government to get into banking, whether at the state level or the city level. Pushing for a municipal bank is his big differentiating factor. He claims to be pro-transit, but doesn't like ST3, and he claims to be pro-density, but wants to bring back the neighborhood councils; that's like saying you're pro voting rights, but want to bring back literacy tests. in practice, he basically comes out as Jenny Durkan if Jenny Durkan wanted a municipal bank, and talked about labor a little more. Him and Durkan in the general is a nightmare scenario. He's probably the biggest partisan in the race (in that he probably has the strongest ties to the Democratic party in Washington). Major endorsements: King County Democrats, most of the Legislative District Democrats (11th, 21st, 32nd, 34th, 37th, 46th, but importantly, not the 43rd, the largest-and-likely-most-liberal LD in the city), somehow-hasn't-resigned-yet King County Sheriff and Mercer Island resident John Urquhart, a ton of unions (FGI), and a bunch of NIMBYs (Seattle Fair Growth, Seattle Displacement Coalition).

Jessyn Farrell: Lawyer, public employee, State Senator. If you're looking for someone with a ton of experience in the public sector, Jessyn Farrell is likely your go-to. She probably has the strongest ties to the state Democratic party aside from Bob Hasegawa, and her and Moon fight it out for the wonkiest of the candidates with the most solid policy plans. I felt she had by far the weakest performance of the bunch at the Candidate Jeopardy hosted by NAC and Seattle Weekly, giving a complete loving non-answer to the Final Jeopardy question ("if not you, then who?). Like, seriously, Jenny Durkan did better. That being said, that may not be a fair way to judge a candidate, but in a crowded field, it's enough for me. Major endorsements: Councilman Rob Johnson, C is for Crank (Erica Barnett is a municipal loving treasure), and the Seattle Transit Blog.

Cary Moon: Architect, multimillionaire, housing activist. Cary Moon is a perennial housing wonk, and in a less crowded field, would probably be doing a lot better. She was a huge advocate against the Bertha tunnel, and for creation of a bigass waterfront civic center/park to replace the viaduct. Honestly, it's late and I'm tired, so I'll probably say a little less about her than I should, but she's basically a slightly older, richer version of Jessyn Farrell. She pushes a bit more strongly for a foreign investment tax (which I'm a huge fan of), and she doesn't have nearly as many ties to the Democratic party infrastructure, so if you were thinking "I want a policy wonk, but I really hate the state party," she's the candidate for you. Major endorsements: the Stranger (main endorsement, ignoring the side bullshit they did for Nikkita Oliver) and the Urbanist.

Anyhow, that's my take on it, while attempting to be as transparent as I can about my biases. There are two pretty clear sides, here, and I don't think any of the four on the progressive side are "bad" choices, really. I like Oliver for a lot of reasons, and will probably end up voting for her, though I haven't ruled out Moon, Farrell, or McGinn.

*okay, maybe kind of a joke.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Nikkita is incredibly active in the community. She has been out fighting for immigrant rights, black live matter, block the bunker, stopping the youth jail, and defunding DAPL. I think it is unfair to compare her to Bernie, because she is actually much better. Oh, and she refuses to take corporate money.

The DSA, Socialist Alternative, and ISO have also endorsed her. The DSA and SA have both been out door knocking for her as well. Most of the media ignores her, but there are a ton of activists out pushing to get her into office.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

As discussed earlier in the thread: there is no reason to have a foreign investment tax when a vacancy tax is easier to enforce, more effective, and less racially charged.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Peachfart posted:

As discussed earlier in the thread: there is no reason to have a foreign investment tax when a vacancy tax is easier to enforce, more effective, and less racially charged.

Yeah, but I just hate the Chinese so much... because they're foreign...

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Peachfart posted:

Porque no los dos?

I'm a huge booster of the vacancy tax, but I think the foreign investment tax is way easier to enforce; what do you think makes the vacancy tax easier? Personally, I'd like just a plain ol' real estate investment tax, but I recognize that isn't going to happen, as long as we consider the commoditization of real estate to be a universal good.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
A good vacancy tax should include residential properties held as AirBNB rentals, imho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Thanatosian posted:

Porque no los dos?

I'm a huge booster of the vacancy tax, but I think the foreign investment tax is way easier to enforce; what do you think makes the vacancy tax easier? Personally, I'd like just a plain ol' real estate investment tax, but I recognize that isn't going to happen, as long as we consider the commoditization of real estate to be a universal good.

What people think a foreign investment tax will do: Hello, I'm Mr. Chou. I want to park money overseas in Seattle in real estate. Oh no! A foreign investment tax! ::Yellow menace vanishes, rents are cheap again::

What a foreign investment tax will actually do: Hello, I'm Mr. Chou. I want to park money overseas in Seattle in real estate. Oh, a foreign investment tax. I guess I will use a shell company in the USA to get out of paying for this tax entirely. Idiots.

What a vacancy tax will do: blah blah, a vacancy tax? Hm, that means I will need to keep any properties I purchase occupied, and deal with the hassles, taxes, and scrutiny of being a landlord, or pay a large tax. I will avoid this market. (also this one actually affects local rich people, who are the ones actually causing the issue)