Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

spf3million posted:

Spreadsheet chat: anyone else using Power BI? My group just got a demonstration and it looks pretty great.

My entire job is now to learn it and implement it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Well when you say it that way it sounds less fun.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

spf3million posted:

Spreadsheet chat: anyone else using Power BI? My group just got a demonstration and it looks pretty great.

Yes, been using it quite a bit in an Azure/O365 implementation project I'm working atm. It's pretty nice to generate dashboards and pretty reports that I don't have to maintain. Just plop it on your dataset and you're good to go.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Dongsturm posted:

Telecommunications companies are mostly recession proof. When people lose their job, the last thing they cut from their budget is their phone.

Yes, the business slows, but they still make a profit. This is real telecoms companies, not mobile phone vendors.

That's the actual telco, anyway. If you make telecommunications equipment not so much; a bunch of companies went bust in 2000 because a lot of plans to build out cable/fibre/etc to support the dot com boom got abruptly cancelled.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
hi telco employee here

Don't worry we're recession proof because we're always going to find new and exciting ways to gently caress over our customers.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I need a new job but the benefits are just too good :sigh:

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Renegret posted:

hi telco employee here

Don't worry we're recession proof because we're always going to find new and exciting ways to gently caress over our customers.

Or just keep doing the way easiest option, write the laws to maintain oligarchy.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Let it be known that I loving hate my job and will be leaving it for the first halfway-decent offer I get to go work elsewhere.

Just felt like putting that out there, so that if I get hit by a car or struck by lightning or something today the truth will be out there for others to find.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Well if you like bureaucracy and being recession proof, might I suggest working for the state? Or even better work for a private company who works for the state. All the government holidays with better pay.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

If you like everyone being demonstrably behind in every area of business as compared to private industry, might I suggest a regulated utility?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Also the guy upstairs just said "gently caress" seven or eight times in about a 30-second span. But I also hear laughing so I think he might just be telling a story?

Either way, :same:

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Maybe go see if they're hiring.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
I was just chewed out for not using a particular document as a template, that was the document I used as my template...

:shepicide:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Shrieking Muppet posted:

I was just chewed out for not using a particular document as a template, that was the document I used as my template...

:shepicide:

That's the best. 'You need to use the template for this!' Well, that is using the template. 'No, I'm sure it's not!' *checks* 'Who changed this template, this isn't what we were using!?' Well, uh, remember how last month you were going over this and you said that it was all wrong and we had to update the template? And so we did that? The answer is you. You did it all.

I don't know why people think I care about this stuff enough to go off and maverick up my own methods of doing it.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I got one supervisor who's overly anal abut using templates, except whenever you use a template he's unhappy with the final product and makes you change it.

If I think ahead and make those changes before submitting it, he tells me to use the template. After I change it to match the template, he'll then make me make changes again that are subtly different but effectively the same to my original changes.

I say this time and time again. As I get older, Office Space is becoming more like a documentary than a comedy.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

No Butt Stuff posted:

Maybe go see if they're hiring.

We actually had an executive assistant that we let go and then a couple weeks later she started working up there :lol: Also they're outside of my field of study/vaguely defined career path so I would be an actual secretary up there instead of a secretary with a non-secretary title like I am right now. I think they might be in legal trouble too? At the very least, the FBI came to visit them a few weeks ago while I was out.

In more mundane news, a customer asked us to manufacture a formula that they dictated to us, then came back and asked us why one of the raw materials that they asked us to use was listed incorrectly in the composition. Not realizing that the vendor of said raw material merged two product lines and is now selling a different material under that name. Do your own drat homework before asking us to bend over backwards for you, sheesh.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Renegret posted:

I say this time and time again. As I get older, Office Space is becoming more like a documentary than a comedy.

Suddenly I am seeing the same effect...

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Here's something from my wife, who works for a major bank. Apologies for formatting, I'm copying from IMs.

quote:

I'm on a call where they are talking about High Performance Workspace.
They are reconfiguring a floor that currently has ~350 seats in cubes/offices to accommodate ~650 seats in more of a cafeteria style seating groups of tables with chairs, no walls.
omg, it has lockers and booth restaurant-style seating.
... they are going to pipe "white noise" through the sound system to reduce background noise.
But hey, when you need to make a phone call, you'll have a 2-ear headset.
That you can skype over.
And sanitizing wipes will be provided so you can wipe down your shared keyboard.
And we don't get personal computers anymore, we share.

That sounds like a special kind of hell.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Ornamented Death posted:

Here's something from my wife, who works for a major bank. Apologies for formatting, I'm copying from IMs.

Going to guess that is going to violate some fire codes. That seems like such a nightmare to evacuate that many people in time.

Not to mention the demoralizing effect that room would have on people.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Renegret posted:

I need a new job but the pay and benefits are just too good :sigh:

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Zil posted:

Not to mention the demoralizing effect that room would have on people.

Morale is always high! Any demoralizing effect claimed is a lie! Also war is peace and slavery is freedom.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ornamented Death posted:

We're doing that here, except not stupidly. You get your own laptop, there are no :barf: shared keyboards, and there are ample breakout rooms for phone calls.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Ornamented Death posted:

Do they demand that you keep your personal effects in a cardboard box, next to the door?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

mllaneza posted:

We're doing that here, except not stupidly. You get your own laptop, there are no :barf: shared keyboards, and there are ample breakout rooms for phone calls.

My keyboard is nominally shared in that anyone can use any workstation. In practice I'm the only one that ises this workstation so I'm the only one that uses this keyboard.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

We will provide cubbies for personal effects, please transfer your personal effects to the cubbies at the end of each shift in order to clear your ($/SQ. FT) for another (HUMAN WORKER UNIT WITH PERSONAL EFFECTS)

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
We ran into a little issue with a piece of equipment and the technical director has been having a great time talking about it in meetings. First there was a "milky discharge". Then it was a "sheen". The VP's politically-correct term was "discoloration", because sheen implies oil and this is just tiny bubbles. Now the problem has been resolved so the latest term is "cappuccino discharge". I probably shouldn't use that expression when there are customers present.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

lavaca posted:

"cappuccino discharge".

Probably something you do not want to google.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

XvbfFzg8qX9vnjIoY7N5
xSfi0KWtncW4R379PU6i
nLul2VJO4Pyc9jiv99tt
L0PTvWH5DNXFn5l7tH5S
AwHOvaswRSEFWa4rnEVI
R6Wo2OUleeMUs3DQBHBt
4rTXoilgoGi6RxnuMNWz
y8aTlPHfZIZIVScAtD8y
unRJ0Jj3wEFiLkskioXL
6l8OJz0KAmNHGdfXLiFi

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 27, 2023

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

crazypeltast52 posted:

My keyboard is nominally shared in that anyone can use any workstation. In practice I'm the only one that ises this workstation so I'm the only one that uses this keyboard.

That you know of.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

FrozenVent posted:

It always amazes me that people with titles that include words like "Analyst" don't know how to use Excel tables or pivot tables.

Am I the only one with an irrational hatred of people using empty rows and columns as margins? Or even worst, skipping rows in a table to double space poo poo?

Where can I go to learn about pivot tables and other useful excel things? I'm not at the right align with space key level in excel, but I never went through any kind of learning period with it, so my knowledge is more holes than cheese.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Combination of YouTube and Stack Exchange, in my experience: the former for step-by-step instructions, the latter for solving obscure problems that'll sometimes take you hours to figure out even with a solution posted.

This guy's videos helped me with powerpivot functions: https://www.youtube.com/user/ExcelIsFun

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Discendo Vox posted:

Where can I go to learn about pivot tables and other useful excel things? I'm not at the right align with space key level in excel, but I never went through any kind of learning period with it, so my knowledge is more holes than cheese.
Go download the tutorial series from Microsoft Office and try them out, specially the exercises. Don't bother trying the ones you already know (read the content overview to see if you do).

I think this is best because it allows you to go about it in a more systematic way, compared to the usual "only learn about something that you have a problem with right now". You may not realize SUMIFS using the latter method. Of course, the former method takes a lot more time.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Trabant posted:

This guy's videos helped me with powerpivot functions: https://www.youtube.com/user/ExcelIsFun

Seconding ExcelIsFun, the guy doesn't make you want to die like 90% of the other Excel videos out there.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

RainbowCake
Apr 1, 2010

Refurbished cats may have scratches, dents or other forms of cosmetic damage which do not affect the performance of the unit.
I could win that bingo every day just listening to my boss on all her calls, and I can't even hear the other participants.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

I got like a quadruple bingo this morning. :boobeer:

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Dongsturm posted:

Telecommunications companies are mostly recession proof. When people lose their job, the last thing they cut from their budget is their phone.

Yes, the business slows, but they still make a profit. This is real telecoms companies, not mobile phone vendors.

No one uses landlines anymore, they're throw ins for cable/internet bundles, which are slowly getting hit as people cut the cord. They're going to get hit really hard by the wireless industry in a few years.

If NBS is talking about a certain company in the Kansas City area, he should stay far, far away...

spf3million posted:

It's fine, but just use Tableau.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

Kim Jong Il posted:

It's fine, but just use Tableau.

Tableau is pretty slick and I love it a bunch, but given Power BI's price point and Microsoft's ubiquity, expect to see more of it in the future. I agree it's a worse product than Tableau but many organizations will be attracted by the ability to pay 15% of the cost for something 80% as good.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

USDA Choice posted:

Tableau is pretty slick and I love it a bunch, but given Power BI's price point and Microsoft's ubiquity, expect to see more of it in the future. I agree it's a worse product than Tableau but many organizations will be attracted by the ability to pay 15% of the cost for something 80% as good.

This is why we're using it. Its integration with Azure to report on metrics and make dashboards for our sponsor on this project I'm managing makes it the default choice.

Higgy fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

*wrong thread