Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

PT6A posted:

Yeah I love meat that's had all the moisture drawn out of it, that's the best!

Literally it is, man. The salt's on the surface, it doesn't actually dehydrate the entire piece of meat because that's not how things work. Dry-aging meat makes it delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Literally it is, man. The salt's on the surface, it doesn't actually dehydrate the entire piece of meat because that's not how things work. Dry-aging meat makes it delicious.

Dry-aging is indeed delicious (as is cured meat) but that's not the same as salting a steak and leaving it in the bottom of the fridge for a day.

I shouldn't have been so snarky, but it's highly dependent on the cut of meat you're using and how you intend to prepare it.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

PT6A posted:

Dry-aging is indeed delicious (as is cured meat) but that's not the same as salting a steak and leaving it in the bottom of the fridge for a day.

I shouldn't have been so snarky, but it's highly dependent on the cut of meat you're using and how you intend to prepare it.

I might have gotten my terms mixed up - wet aging is also a thing. Salting a steak and leaving it at the top of your fridge for a day (or three!) is a really great idea and you should try it.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It's considered a dry brine and you save a step of having to dry the surface after a wet brine so you don't boil it.

/e- I prefer bottom so I don't run the risk of juices getting over two-three shelves of food.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
This is a huge derail but wtf why wouldn't you put the meat in like a pyrex dish or something? Are you just slapping it on a paper plate?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

HEY NONG MAN posted:

This is a huge derail but wtf why wouldn't you put the meat in like a pyrex dish or something? Are you just slapping it on a paper plate?

Yes of course you would, although iirc Alton Brown made a big weird thing about the bottom shelf being best for avoiding cross-contamination so a lot of people do it that way. Good Eats was a fun show but a lot of the advice doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I put it on a cookie rack in a quarter or half sheet with paper towel lining so I don't need to rotate. I just hate hate hate when things spill from the top whether meat juice or boxed wine and gets into every shelf and the drawers. I like the bottom shelf as it's the coldest but you'd want to avoid that for the same reason with certain applications i.e. fermenting.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Yes of course you would, although iirc Alton Brown made a big weird thing about the bottom shelf being best for avoiding cross-contamination so a lot of people do it that way. Good Eats was a fun show but a lot of the advice doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

I love Good Eats but every now and then I just want to shake Alton Brown and scream that not everything has to be made from scratch.

Also if a kitchen tool only does like 2 things, it's not a "multitasker."

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

This is a pretty known item in food safety. Meat always on the bottom. It's not as important for home fridges like it is in the food service industry.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

WampaLord posted:

I love Good Eats but every now and then I just want to shake Alton Brown and scream that not everything has to be made from scratch.

His tortilla episode was possibly the dumbest thing in the world. Get fresh from an industrial tortilla maker or grind your own corn and add lime etc.

At least Mexican grocers seem to be doing well but that's solidly only observational.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ungratek posted:

This is a pretty known item in food safety. Meat always on the bottom. It's not as important for home fridges like it is in the food service industry.

Yeah, a single piece of meat in the fridge in a leak-proof dish for a single day isn't the same as the issues a commercial kitchen has to worry about. It works better on the top shelf but it hardly matters. I think I just wanted to rant about Good Eats because I've been watching old episodes and jesus Alton, get hosed with that turkey trebuchet of yours.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

WampaLord posted:

You realize he does that because it is a much more entertaining TV show to show how to do these things from scratch than to say 'just go buy a can of buttercream', right?

Even then, very little he does on the show is really that difficult.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Also gently caress his hatred of single-task devices. A garlic press may be a single-task device, but it's a gently caress sight quicker to press a few cloves of garlic than crush and mince them with a knife, and I do it a few times a week.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Ungratek posted:

Meat layered by safe cooking temp. I.e. Poultry below beef. (Because poultry should be cooked to 165, but beef only 155 is plenty). I can't remember the pork/fish temps

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

PT6A posted:

Also gently caress his hatred of single-task devices. A garlic press may be a single-task device, but it's a gently caress sight quicker to press a few cloves of garlic than crush and mince them with a knife, and I do it a few times a week.

Eh, I think a lot of that is just to show people what they can do with basic tools and get them into the kitchen without making them think they need a lot of crazy equipment. And that's fine, the show was meant to be educational.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

ReidRansom posted:

Eh, I think a lot of that is just to show people what they can do with basic tools and get them into the kitchen without making them think they need a lot of crazy equipment. And that's fine, the show was meant to be educational.

True. The only thing I couldn't avoid buying beyond basic kitchen equipment was a food processor to make smooth, lovely soups properly.

Though, I'll be completely honest: rolling pasta with a rolling pin loving eats rear end. I have neither the space to store, nor an attachment point for, a pasta machine, but drat if I don't want one every time I make pasta by hand.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Liquid Communism posted:

You realize he does that because it is a much more entertaining TV show to show how to do these things from scratch than to say 'just go buy a can of buttercream', right?

You do realize that every sentence in all of human history that started with "you do realize" was dickish and pointless, right? There are plenty of ways to make entertaining television without waging war on can openers.

ReidRansom posted:

You're right and that's actually why I got frustrated with him. "Make popcorn on your stove using a steel mixing bowl!" is neat and motivating, "buy a box fan, air filters, and bungee cords to make a couple servings worth of beef jerky" isn't. Whenever he starts taking a drill bit to giant clay planters I have to dip out. Not everybody lives in a massive suburban house full of every tool known to man.

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jul 13, 2017

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

There are plenty of ways to make entertaining television without waging war on can openers.

how does he open cans, with a knife? cause i've done that and it is hella unfun

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

mandatory lesbian posted:

how does he open cans, with a knife? cause i've done that and it is hella unfun

Ha I literally had to do that yesterday because I'm bad at living and being a person and lose a can opener roughly once every six months.

Worked great though. RIP, my cheapest knife.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

You do realize that every sentence in all of human history that started with "you do realize" was dickish and pointless, right? There are plenty of ways to make entertaining television without waging war on can openers.

:ironicat:

Yeah, there are. Generally, his point isn't 'don't have anything in your kitchen with just one purpose', but not having one-off single task gadgets you never actually use much cluttering up the place if you can do what they do with something you'll use for other stuff. There are also dozens of other cooking shows, many of them arguably better, that you can go watch if Good Eats (which has been off the air for five years now) rubs you wrong.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

You're right and that's actually why I got frustrated with him. "Make popcorn on your stove using a steel mixing bowl!" is neat and motivating, "buy a box fan, air filters, and bungee cords to make a couple servings worth of beef jerky" isn't. Whenever he starts taking a drill bit to giant clay planters I have to dip out. Not everybody lives in a massive suburban house full of every tool known to man.

I always thought that was the joke when he gave a sermon about one trick ponies then ended up making a ridiculous mcgyver solution instead.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

True, it did get a bit out of hand at times, especially toward the end.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

got any sevens posted:

Anyone know why there are so many storage facilities these days? People accumulating more than their house can hold, but dont want to part?

In my city storage is seen as an easy thing to do with the land while you wait for the value to go up or work on planning permissions. Apparently they're easy to tear down.

Also a lot of the lovely NIMBY types have fought against proposed apartment developments on major corridors that were then turned into storage instead ("Much less traffic than new condos!").

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, there are. Generally, his point isn't 'don't have anything in your kitchen with just one purpose', but not having one-off single task gadgets you never actually use much cluttering up the place if you can do what they do with something you'll use for other stuff. There are also dozens of other cooking shows, many of them arguably better, that you can go watch if Good Eats (which has been off the air for five years now) rubs you wrong.

:thejoke:, dude. C'mon.

And no I'm gonna continue to watch what I want and praise the good parts and criticize the bad parts, because that's how being a person works.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

its actually good to point out flaws in things you like. you must be a gun forum mod, or the military one

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

mandatory lesbian posted:

its actually good to point out flaws in things you like. you must be a gun forum mod, or the military one

Hey now, it could be anime.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

Yea, but it's more like "Hey, I'm gonna make fish tacos today, now to devote 10 minutes of the episode to how to make tortillas from scratch!"

Alton, buddy, I'm just going to buy store bought ones. I just want to know how to cook the fish well.

Also, it's pretty clear that this is just loving pokes from people who are fans of the show. Remember my post started with "I love Good Eats."

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/business/sears-mike-myers-ad-restructuring-lay-offs-1.419926
Employee featured in hit Sears Canada ad with famous brother Mike Myers loses job and severance
To give beleaguered Sears Canada a boost in 2014, employee Peter Myers recruited his famous brother, comedian Mike Myers, to star in a commercial for the retailer.
The ad was a hit. It featured both Myers brothers using humorous banter to spread the message that, despite rumours, Sears wasn't shutting down.
"I was the face of 'we're not closing,'" says Peter Myers, who at the time was a senior director of planning at Sears head office in Toronto.
Three years later, Sears still promotes the ad on the main page of its YouTube site. But Myers — who worked for the retail giant for almost 36 years — is out of a job and not getting severance.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I read so many posts made over the past two days, and I need to say these two things:

1) Malt-O-Meal cereal actually does come in boxes now, they just also do the bags.

2) I thought they restaurant chain TB had dirt on was Chipotle, because they are being run horribly. One of the few examples where a company probably should kick out the founders for some new generation of management and watch the place improve. They're making shitloads of money off the company even by the skewed standards of highest-ranking executives, and they're clinging to a branding exercise that leaves them with little to no options.
When your marketing is doing political campaign style fact-checks, the likes of which companies only do when they're worried, on things like "despite that McDonalds bought a significant stake in the company (which they sold a decade ago) we wish to dispute the popular perception and say we are not and have never been a McDonald's subsidiary", all because you want to justify higher prices than millennials can afford and gen-x businessmen think you're "too fast food" for the power lunch, you're screwed up.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Millennials can't afford a $10 lunch?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Noctone posted:

Where is it $10? It is about $7 for the burrito 'round these parts.

I mean, I know that all Millennials are all competing for the Poverty Olympics, but I think I saw one that had a ten spot once!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Noctone posted:

Chipotle is like $12 if you want a two-meat burrito and a drink, depending on taxes.

Heh, they're closing the only store on the west side of Vegas (admittedly it's a dying 80s mall and vacancies at a brand new yuppie mall further west happen all the time) but keeping one of their three stores on the Strip open. Because that's what drunk gamblers do all right, buy kids clothes. The mall they're staying one is the one in the middle of everything with the highest imbalance of tourists, at least the one by the airport they're leaving draws local visitors.

It's also the mall with the area's only Disney Store, so enjoy competing against branded merch.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Xae posted:

Where is it $10? It is about $7 for the burrito 'round these parts.

I mean, I know that all Millennials are all competing for the Poverty Olympics, but I think I saw one that had a ten spot once!

I was including a drink.

Craptacular! posted:

Chipotle is like $12 if you want a two-meat burrito and a drink, depending on taxes.

Oh whoa an outlier case that bumps it up a whole two dollars!

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
I aim for 25 cents to 3 dollars. 7 to 12 dollar lunches is a large chunk out of an IRA contribution at the end of the year.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

BrandorKP posted:

I aim for 25 cents to 3 dollars. 7 to 12 dollar lunches is a large chunk out of an IRA contribution at the end of the year.

Yeah, a $10 lunch is a significant luxury for me. If I'm on the road and not getting reimbursed, I usually just grab a protien bar or something, or a cheapo sandwich from a local joint. Or I shamefully go with the 4 for $4 if I happen across a Wendy's.

Luckily I also work for county government and we actually have a half decent staff cafeteria where you can get a hot lunch for under $5.

A $10 lunch a week is $520 a year.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I hope that IRA is an unfortunately named savings account.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
Grocery store chat makes me want to open up my own White Noise blank label superstore

"The supermarket shelves have been rearranged. It happened one day without warning. There is agitation and panic in the aisles, dismay in the faces of older shoppers.[…]They scrutinize the small print on packages, wary of a second level of betrayal. The men scan for stamped dates, the women for ingredients. Many have trouble making out the words. Smeared print, ghost images. In the altered shelves, the ambient roar, in the plain and heartless fact of their decline, they try to work their way through confusion. But in the end it doesn’t matter what they see or think they see. The terminals are equipped with holographic scanners, which decode the binary secret of every item, infallibly. This is the language of waves and radiation, or how the dead speak to the living. And this is where we wait together, regardless of our age, our carts stocked with brightly colored goods. A slowly moving line, satisfying, giving us time to glance at the tabloids in the racks. Everything we need that is not food or love is here in the tabloid racks. The tales of the supernatural and the extraterrestrial. The miracle vitamins, the cures for cancer, the remedies for obesity. The cults of the famous and the dead."

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Jesus, that's a good short horror story

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

OwlFancier posted:

I hope that IRA is an unfortunately named savings account.
It is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Individual_retirement_account

The two main types are traditional (pre-tax; effectively equivalent to a conventional 401k) and Roth (post-tax).

Sidenote: American retirement accounts are (potentially) very generous in how much money you can shelter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Cicero posted:

It is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Individual_retirement_account

The two main types are traditional (pre-tax; effectively equivalent to a conventional 401k) and Roth (post-tax).

Sidenote: American retirement accounts are (potentially) very generous in how much money you can shelter.

Look, it just happens my savy $5000 roth investment into an opaque financial vehicle has ballooned into a 5 million dollar windfall.