Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Furism posted:

I finished this game for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Now I'm level 65 or so and started Adventure Mode. It's fun and I like it but in the Quest for Loot I'm not sure what's more efficient: Adventure Mode or Nephalem Rifts?

Also I'm confused about the way the game hands you loot. I have yet to see an Armor Set item but as I understand their drop is totally random (could drop from a rat or a boss) and you can find items for another class' armor set. What are you supposed to do with Legendaries of another class? Stash it, disenchant, sell it to a merchant?

If youre looking for gear, do the highest grift you can in a reasonable amount of time (5-8 min)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Furism posted:

I finished this game for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Now I'm level 65 or so and started Adventure Mode. It's fun and I like it but in the Quest for Loot I'm not sure what's more efficient: Adventure Mode or Nephalem Rifts?

Also I'm confused about the way the game hands you loot. I have yet to see an Armor Set item but as I understand their drop is totally random (could drop from a rat or a boss) and you can find items for another class' armor set. What are you supposed to do with Legendaries of another class? Stash it, disenchant, sell it to a merchant?

Get to level 70 in adventure mode running the highest difficulty of rifts you can clear at a good speed without dying. Sets don't start dropping until lvl 70 in T1+. Get your Kanai's cube and start doing low level GRs to get your legendary gems. Then you can alternate do rifts, GRs, and bounties when you get bored/need specific materials.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Don't do bounties anymore in my opinion, the weekly challenge rift is good enough, plus rifts for everything else. Greater Rifts are for legendary gem and paragon leveling.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
You'll still need to do a round or two of bounties each season, but since they made them all bonus bounties all the time I've noticed that I actually enjoy doing them.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Don't do bounties anymore in my opinion, the weekly challenge rift is good enough, plus rifts for everything else. Greater Rifts are for legendary gem and paragon leveling.

Wait does the challenge rift give the bounty crafting mats or something? I assume you still have to mindlessly run A1 caches for any build that wants a RoRG though.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Hauki posted:

Wait does the challenge rift give the bounty crafting mats or something? I assume you still have to mindlessly run A1 caches for any build that wants a RoRG though.

It does, yeah. So run it once per week for the reward, then only run the bounties for the specific drops you need like RRoG

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

It resets every Monday at 5pm ET. Next week's may be better to save until after the season starts so that you can claim the mats/shards for your seasonal character. It will likely require you to run a solo GR, as the current requirements do, so you can probably do it right after your solo GR20 for the last Haedrig's Gift pieces for some bonus gambling shards, gold, and of course, some extra bounty mats to cube stuff.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Thanks for the tips guys!

Guilty posted:

If youre looking for gear, do the highest grift you can in a reasonable amount of time (5-8 min)

For now I can do Nephelem Rifts in Expert Mode with no problem - I barely, if ever, have to use a potion. It just takes too long to kill enemies while at the same time never be in any real danger. It takes me about 20 minutes to clear a NR. Are you saying that I should decrease the difficulty until it takes me 5-8 mins ?

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

I only started playing again recently so honest question, do people not use the reforge legendary recipe? It seemed to me like the faster way to get a better version of things that don't drop often but y'all talk like eight (?) bounty mats a week is enough.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Yeah but at level 70 you should very quickly be able to get out of Expert and into Torment+ with only a couple pieces of gear, mostly from weapons as that's where most of your damage comes from. The shards you've been getting from rift bosses, hold onto those and gamble for some quick legendaries once you reach max level. You didn't mention what class you were, but offhands for Wiz + Necro + WD + Cru + DH are a very nice power boost for a fresh 70.

Internet Friend posted:

I only started playing again recently so honest question, do people not use the reforge legendary recipe? It seemed to me like the faster way to get a better version of things that don't drop often but y'all talk like eight (?) bounty mats a week is enough.

It's good, and when you start maxing out your character, the most reliable way of upgrading.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Furism posted:

For now I can do Nephelem Rifts in Expert Mode with no problem - I barely, if ever, have to use a potion. It just takes too long to kill enemies while at the same time never be in any real danger. It takes me about 20 minutes to clear a NR. Are you saying that I should decrease the difficulty until it takes me 5-8 mins ?

Yeah you don't want to waste much time killing mobs unless you are pushing greater rifts. Keep in mind that even though your difficulty is low which means you won't have a good chance of a legendary will drop. Eventually you will. And with blood shards it kinda speeds up the process a bit.

Once you get a good set of legendaries, it won't be long until you start doing torment farming, and eventually TX-TXIII

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Furism posted:

Just get to 70 as fast as you can. Sounds like those rifts take too long so I would drop down one. Expert is usually the sweet spot for leveling to 70 but if you don't have the items for it (check vendors and craft recipes to upgrade to a better weapon) then it can be a slog. There's a huge jump in weapon damage for level 70 items and you should be able to jump into T1 fairly quick then.

If you're playing PC, post your character and build from battle.net and people can give specific recommendations.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Anyone ok with pulling me through some higher torment rifts for db and set items? I can poo poo up chat in return.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I don't know if I'll be playing this weekend or not yet, but I generally broadcast in LLJK for leech spots when I am not in a full group and a few others do as well. Only applies to PC-NA.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Alright. I'm on shiftwork and have my 3 day this weekend and switch to nights. One I gear up I'll run anyone anytime. That poo poo is always fun for me.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

exquisite tea posted:

Having taken all the most popular Necro builds into GR80+ now I think Trag'ouls with pets is probably my favorite. It clears fast, it's pretty sturdy once you get on a roll, and it satisfies the feeling of swarming the screen with skeletons. I also like that you're not relegated to becoming a 2-minute wonder or relying on the Decrepify belt, and it's actually pretty novel to stack Life % instead of CDR for a change. Once everything is going I have something like 3.5mil health. Its major weakness, like all other Necro sets really, is that you're ridiculously weak before you get a good Devour + Bone Armor + health globe stack rolling and it's easy to get stuck in an endless loop of pain if you die even once against a tough elite pack.

What build is that? Sounds right up my alley.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Is there any way to use the cube to make a Legendary provide a Set bonus, or are all builds built around a Set?

Currently running Pestilence on my necro with a flesh golem that drops corpses. Pretty awesome with Teeth. I'm considering going back to using Nagelring plus a Nagelring in the cube. Those little suicide guys put out some damage.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Hakarne posted:

What build is that? Sounds right up my alley.

There are quite a few variants, some of which also incorporate LotD + Corpse Lance, but I mostly follow this setup, replacing Dark Mending with Final Service, Reaper's Wraps instead of APDs, the max health % rune for Devour, and runing Frozen Skellies for speed farming. Roll everything for Life % where you would normally roll CDR.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
What's the most ridiculous amount of pets you can spawn in with a necro via skills, gear and cube? I don't care about pushing or even farming t13, I just want to get retarded.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

I believe 28 is the max (1 golem, 7 skeletons, 10 mages, 10 revives), unless you count simulacrum as a pet. Of the 28, only 8 are permanent (golem and skeletons) and the other 20 only last a few seconds (6-8 for mages and 10-15 for revives, depending on the runes selected) without counting the one supporting item and passive that extend it by a few seconds.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Nagelring, the amulet that summons skeletons after a massacre, and that amulet also in the cube, the ring that has 2 skeleton mages per cast, skeleton skill, golem skill, revive, follower. 45 in all, I think.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Ynglaur posted:

Nagelring, the amulet that summons skeletons after a massacre, and that amulet also in the cube, the ring that has 2 skeleton mages per cast, skeleton skill, golem skill, revive, follower. 45 in all, I think.

Most of those aren't pets though, but if you just want to spawn a bunch of stuff that does almost no damage, but has a visual presence, then sure. Might as well include your gold-gathering "pet", corpses, minions spawned from follower's items, and your necro's shadow if that's the goal.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Is there a guide to the cube? I just came back last season and didn't get much of an explanation from my friend aside from the pulling powers out of legendaries.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

^burtle posted:

Is there a guide to the cube? I just came back last season and didn't get much of an explanation from my friend aside from the pulling powers out of legendaries.

https://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/guide/items/kanais-cube

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Can you only get the cosmetic pets in season?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

DrSeRRoD posted:

Most of those aren't pets though, but if you just want to spawn a bunch of stuff that does almost no damage, but has a visual presence, then sure. Might as well include your gold-gathering "pet", corpses, minions spawned from follower's items, and your necro's shadow if that's the goal.

Was just trying to be helpful...

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Thom Yorke raps posted:

Can you only get the cosmetic pets in season?

There are season-specific pets tied to the journey every 3 seasons or so (there's an emerald dragon for Season 11), but there are 19 you can get from Menagerist Goblins and 1 other from a rare mob, all of which are not tied to seasons or playing/purchasing other games.

Ynglaur posted:

Was just trying to be helpful...

It's cool. :cheers: I just made the comment to make sure they didn't have the expectation that Necro can have 40+ pets based on what they read here, buy the pack, and then realize that it wasn't the case.

DrSeRRoD fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 13, 2017

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

You can get pets from mobs and goblins?

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

Ynglaur posted:

Nagelring, the amulet that summons skeletons after a massacre, and that amulet also in the cube

Having a legendary effect in the cube and also on a piece of gear you have equipped is redundant, they don't stack. It just uses the one from the cube and ignores the one on your equipped item.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Klauser posted:

Having a legendary effect in the cube and also on a piece of gear you have equipped is redundant, they don't stack. It just uses the one from the cube and ignores the one on your equipped item.
And in that case you'd run a Haunt of Vaxo for your extra "pets"!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Vaxo clones don't technically count as "pets," they function similarly to Mirror Image or Grin Reaper where they perform a certain fraction of your own sheet damage. Not like it matters!

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Ynglaur posted:

You can get pets from mobs and goblins?

Only Menagerist Goblins, which are "pet goblins" that drop 1 unique pet each time you kill them, until you have all 19. The only mob that can drop a pet (as far as I can recall) is Ravi Liywhite. Ravi is a rare spawn that can be found in The Weeping Hollows zone and drops Liv Moore.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

DrSeRRoD posted:

There are season-specific pets tied to the journey every 3 seasons or so

Didn't know this. What tier of the season journey is it usually tied to?

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
What happened with people getting legendary gems to 138 or something and blizzard rolled it back? I missed the whole story of what this was.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Larrymer posted:

Didn't know this. What tier of the season journey is it usually tied to?

Usually Chapter 4 gives you the first portrait frame, the final piece of Haedrig's Gift, and then the "fun" reward, which is supposed to cycle between Pet, Wings, and Pennant over the seasons.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Having taken all the most popular Necro builds into GR80+ now I think Trag'ouls with pets is probably my favorite. It clears fast, it's pretty sturdy once you get on a roll, and it satisfies the feeling of swarming the screen with skeletons. I also like that you're not relegated to becoming a 2-minute wonder or relying on the Decrepify belt, and it's actually pretty novel to stack Life % instead of CDR for a change. Once everything is going I have something like 3.5mil health. Its major weakness, like all other Necro sets really, is that you're ridiculously weak before you get a good Devour + Bone Armor + health globe stack rolling and it's easy to get stuck in an endless loop of pain if you die even once against a tough elite pack.

I just started messing around with a variant of this today, and I'm enjoying it. I probably can't push much past the early 70s until I get a Tasker/Theo though :smith:

RecoomesSexyRear
Jul 18, 2003

How do they nerf Inarius but leave this gimmicky tragoul high level build ? I like smashing buttons as much as anyone else but good grief it's boring casting decrepify and waiting for cooldowns.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

I think no one was touching Trag until they nerfed the Inarius proc coefficient. Even though lots of those guys are pushing with rank 120-132 gems and paragon 3-4k, there's still time for them to smash down a few more sets/builds before Season 11.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I see no reason why they would touch Trag'oul pets. This isn't some unintended coefficient giving undue weight to some gimmicky gem proc, it's an inventive combination of abilities with items that form a cohesive and fun build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Also big streamers are still using Mirinae for speed farming with Inarius. It's not worthless, it's just not obviously broken anymore.

REMOVE BANE OF THE TRAPPED FROM THE GAME BLIZZ p&Ty