Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I got mine on Monday, and my kids promptly ran off with Undead Lords and Townsfolk.

I managed to retrieve them after bedtime. My daughter had tucked them into a makeshift bed for the night.

So far this Bonesium stuff holds up really well to rugged use, and it's nice to not have to worry about my kids handling stuff because 1/ its really tough and 2/ its not expensive to replace if something does break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

food court bailiff posted:

Why did I think I needed so many lizardmen :psyduck: I ordered two extra Creepin Lizards packs, apparently, even though I actually have some lizardmen in bones already, enough for 99% of the kinds of encounters I run in my games. I want to say at one point I might have hosed with the pledge manager with the intention of getting into some kinda wargame but I have no idea what the wargame hotness du jour was when I ordered - what games would shitloads of lizards be good for?

I've also started re-reading the Frostgrave ruleset, because I've got space to set up a table or two for gaming and good lord do I ever have minis now. Anyone got pics of cool Bones-based Frostgrave warbands (not necessarily from Bones III KS) that they could share for inspiration before I go trawl the actual FG thread?

Well, what I'm trying to do with my Bones (assuming work ever allows me time to paint them) is put together some warbands sorted by species. I've already got a warband of orcs:

(Obviously these are not all Bones, but you get the idea. Picture #2 is all Bones, including the guy on the far right who's been converted from a spearman to a crossbowman.)
My next projects include groups of halfling/gnomes, dwarves, dark elves/high elves, and humans with a sinister necromancy-esque vibe to them. I'm also considering doing a band of lizardpeople, now that I have like 30 of them. I probably just need to convert a couple to be holding staves to act as casters.
All a Frostgrave warband really takes are 1-2 obvious caster types (to represent the wizard and apprentice), and the other figures can be sort of counts-as X if they look the type. (This guy with the two-handed sword is a barbarian; this guy with the club is a thug, etc.) That's one of the benefits of a miniatures-neutral game like Frostgrave--you don't have to have any specific models for your characters.

Dr. Gargunza fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 14, 2017

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Yeah, I decided to get a bit weird with it. My wizard is going to be the villainously androgynous lookin' Jean-Luc Picard looking spear dude who I have named Lucius von Trigger, with the spear modified into a sorta steampunky staff. His apprentice is Hungry Boy Billiam, the barefoot halfling cook from the Townsfolk Bones III (whose ladle is obviously sharpened and counts as a sword) - after all, it would be a foolish expedition to not bring along a decent cook. The half-orc looking Townsfolk with the treasure chest and barrels strapped to his back is a treasure hunter, the hero lady holding a scepter and potion is an apothecary, some random mook is an infantryman, and a noir-lookin' dude with pistols is a crossbowman (because von Trigger is a chronomancer, you see, and he really really likes a restaurant in 1930s Chicago where he met the guy.)

For treasure tokens I shoved some spare sprue weapons into some fake rocks and put 'em on bases, they look much better than I feel they should for the <20 mins of effort I put into them. Pics of everything when it's got at least a few highlights n such.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
I put together that ship golem and drat, he's pretty big.

He's about 5 1/2" tall and pretty easy to put together. Only 6 pieces, too: legs, torso, two arms, face plate, and tiny shoulder cannon. The arms were pretty bent and had to do the hot/cold water reshaping trick to get them into place, but other than that assembly was a breeze.

Fauxtool posted:

hey this giant dragon i bought is way too big. I knew it was big from the pictures, but jesus christ its too much
Does anyone want to buy my maaldrakar off me? I cant see myself ever painting something this big

If you're in the US I might be interested.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
california

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

"See that anchor up there? Guess where it's going to go."

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Fauxtool posted:

california

PM me so we can discuss details.

JerryLee posted:

"See that anchor up there? Guess where it's going to go."

I'm gonna use this line for my next D&D-ish game.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Getting started on my pile o' Bones.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Huh, Base Boss is shipping soon. Would have been nice to do the pledge manager, but looks like I'll be getting a dollar's worth of nothing in Wave 1 before everybody else.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
:siren: Reaper has announced on their facebook that a Bones 4 kickstarter is in the pipeline for august.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Begin hype.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Wow, I wonder if Bones 3 will even be delivered before they start Bones 4

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

NTRabbit posted:

Wow, I wonder if Bones 3 will even be delivered before they start Bones 4

It's supposed to be. Possibly they will accept sent and not require it's all delivered as some places have really lovely postal service.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I haven't seen confirmation that the Australian group has reached the distributor- although the EU group has. I agree it would be kind of lovely to launch the next one while people are still waiting on theirs.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Indolent Bastard posted:

It's supposed to be. Possibly they will accept sent and not require it's all delivered as some places have really lovely postal service.

Australia has good postal service, Reaper has lovely service

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

Australia has good postal service, Reaper has lovely service

Then maybe don't back the next Bones KS?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

But then who will subsidize my shipping costs!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

This is dumb, but I haven't painted poo poo in a year. Can I just slap Vallejo paint on primer on a dragon and go to town with it, after I've given it a good wash?

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Bones tend to have residual mould release on them, so a good detergent wash is recommended. After that, primer may be optional depending on how well the line of paints you use agrees with Bonesium. I tend to do a thin coat of Vallejo polyurethane primer (using mostly Vallejo game color).

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I like to skip priming and just base coat with the reaper HD paints, they go on super well and it only takes a single coat no matter the color. And you can put 'em through an airbrush (with flow improver and all that.) After that, it's business as usual.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Indolent Bastard posted:

Then maybe don't back the next Bones KS?

I happen to think people should know Reaper is a shady company that pulls dodgy poo poo with shipping charges before deciding whether or not to back the next one

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Bad Munki posted:

But then who will subsidize my shipping costs!
Reaper's desire to not pay for more in transaction fees than it'd cost to just ship the drat product.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

I happen to think people should know Reaper is a shady company that pulls dodgy poo poo with shipping charges before deciding whether or not to back the next one

This has not been my experience. I'm not happy you got hosed around, but your experience won't keep me from looking at and likely backing Bones 4.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Then perhaps someone who attends Reapercon can explain to them how shady they looked, how much of a colossal gently caress up they made, and how much trust they pissed away by accident, and tell them to actually talk to AU and NZ backers for once in their lives before doing it again.

There's more loving communication on it from the AU fulfillment place than there is from Reaper.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 8, 2017

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I will still buy the little dolls, here, in the US.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I will probably also back the next one because I am a US person, but I also believe that its good for people in other regions to know what they should be expecting. I do think that Reaper should have explained their plan properly ahead of time; even if that didn't result in any actual savings for people it would have been better to have that clear when people were backing (I realize they may not have had the agreement in place, but hopefully they can do it properly next time).

NT, did you ever manage to get in touch with anyone about it at Reaper?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

No I did not, because they answered the question for someone else

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
itshappening.gif

Just got an email from aetherworks saying shipping Aus and NZ pledges has begun. They're not being shipped out in any specific order and larger orders will be shipped out in 2 or more boxes so if you get a delivery that's only some of what you ordered, don't stress the rest will probably turn up later :allears:

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Amusingly despite reapers fuckery with sea shipping I'm going to get my order before estimated delivery (Oz resident)

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Just when I thought that Bones 4 wouldn't interest me:

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I know the feeling... but I'm still waiting for my stuff for Bones 3 though (UK Wave 6). Hopefully 4 won't be as much of a shipping shitshow.

Really hope the legs on that hut are optional and can be easily plugged in/removed as it'd make a nice lil hut even without them.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Yea, without the legs that would be pretty cool as a piece of scenery for general use.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I mean that's a pretty easy fix, bonesium sure ain't mithril.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
And then you could slap giant chicken legs on ANYTHING YOU WANT! It's win-win!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

And then you could slap giant chicken legs on ANYTHING YOU WANT! It's win-win!

100% putting those things on my Slann mage's palanquin.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

There's no cost effective way to mold that in one piece. You'll all get your loose chicken legs to do what you want with

RUM hack
Nov 18, 2003

glug glug

I'm wave 1 (and in the UK) and haven't got poo poo yet. It's a bit loving cheeky to start teasing about Bones 4 when half the world hasn't got Bones 3 yet.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

headlor posted:

I'm wave 1 (and in the UK) and haven't got poo poo yet. It's a bit loving cheeky to start teasing about Bones 4 when half the world hasn't got Bones 3 yet.

youll back it and you'll love it

RUM hack
Nov 18, 2003

glug glug

Cat Face Joe posted:

youll back it and you'll love it

Oh no doubt.

And then in a year I'll get hacked off that they have hosed up the shipping of bones 4 in a spectacular fashion.

It's still cheeky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I will buy more dolls, probably. It sucks for people in the ROW that they have doll logistics problems, but hey that's what you get for being a foreigner.

Amusingly a lot of my hobby stuff comes from Quebec (my rubber larp swords) and the UK (my ww2 dolls) and india (larp armor and stuff) and I really don't encounter any problems the other way around.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 13, 2017

• Locked thread