Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I couldn't enjoy LR.
I hate time limits. Even though it was very generous. it still made me feel like I had to rush. I don't like that. I want to take my time and explore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I guess I would have liked it better if there was more self awareness there but I felt like the devs treated the plot as 100% serious.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

I'm glad to know that all the things people didn't like were imaginary and it's actually perfect
FF13 is an average game at best and a pretty bad one 90% of the time. There are tons of valid criticisms of the game. Literally the only two things I expressed in that post are

1) There are lots of people who liked it and still like it, so acting like it was publicly reviled is stupid.
2) The terminology isn't the problem with the plot.

Vargatron posted:

I guess I would have liked it better if there was more self awareness there but I felt like the devs treated the plot as 100% serious.
ff13 lr has so many jokes that it is almost a complete comedy. lightning spends the entire game as either the butt of the joke or groaning at how stupid the people around her are. 'I'm only here for the steak.'

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
My father faked his own death, and my grandfather also faked his own death

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Sefal posted:

I couldn't enjoy LR.
I hate time limits. Even though it was very generous. it still made me feel like I had to rush. I don't like that. I want to take my time and explore.

Learn to live with an exceedingly generous time limit and just take your time to explore.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Vargatron posted:

A scene of sobering gravitas in Lightning Returns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgpJ2tQowdc

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

A scene of sobering gravitas in Lightning Returns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgpJ2tQowdc

I repeat: Lightning is good.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

MMF Freeway posted:

The dustia trick is cool because you can do it before you even pick a job for Vaan so you can make a sort of blank slate save file for future playthroughs. Lets you just walk through the early game and get to the parts where the world opens up and you have the full party. All the LP you earn is banked for the rest of your party members too.

Since, ya know, you are gonna be playing this insanely long rpg multiple times right??

Second playthrough in permanent 4x speed

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Sefal posted:

I couldn't enjoy LR.

If it runs out you automatically go to new game +, and can blow through the main quests in an hour

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I played XIII, XIII-2 and Lightning Returns and I hated everything about each of them. Settings, characters, gameplay - nothing worked for me. It was a pretty disappointing time.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

I played XIII, XIII-2 and Lightning Returns and I hated everything about each of them. Settings, characters, gameplay - nothing worked for me. It was a pretty disappointing time.

Which Final Fantasy is your favorite?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Golden Goat posted:

Which Final Fantasy is your favorite?

Probably VI or Tactics. I like most of them equally well, but there are some sharp dips and I think I had as much fun playing XIII as I did playing III on the DS.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

LawfulWaffle posted:

drat, sucks dude

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

"I played a game I hated and it's sequel that I hated and its second sequel that I hated"
you sound real nuts dude lmao
why would you not just....not buy/play em

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Ventana posted:

Why can SE do remakes of FF1/2/3/4 and add new feature/alter content to FF12 but not FF7? I don't think there's anything special about any of the other games that means they can't have remakes ever.

I love all the new features they add to the updated versions of all those games. I even explicitly mentioned in my earlier post that changing the MP system in FF1 and adding the dual job system to FF12ZA were great changes and that an FF7 remake that was designed in that spirit would be the idea remake, but don't pretend like changing FF7 to a Kingdom Hears-like is anything remotely similar to any of those changes. Dawn of Souls wasn't a top-down Zelda-esque adventure game and Zodiac Age isn't a card battling game.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

"I played a game I hated and it's sequel that I hated and its second sequel that I hated"
you sound real nuts dude lmao
why would you not just....not buy/play em

Funny you say that because when I say FF13 is one of my least favorite games ever, tons of people try and tell me to play 13-2 and LR because they're so much different! They're so much better! and they act like I'm weird for not playing them

rare double edit: people are so delusional about FF13 that they insisted I would like THAT game if I just kept playing it, once you get to Gran Pulse the game gets so good and is so much better but the 20 hours building up to it are boring, sure! they told me. I originally stopped playing after reaching Gran Pulse, but decided to keep going and beat the game just so I could tell people that yes I beat it and yes I still hated it. I do not trust the opinion of anyone who tells me they enjoyed FF13.

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 13, 2017

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

It's okay to not like video games.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

FF12 but everybody plays a game for fights and it's just a FFT style board game with sprites.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Ventana posted:

Why can SE do remakes of FF1/2/3/4 and add new feature/alter content to FF12 but not FF7? I don't think there's anything special about any of the other games that means they can't have remakes ever.

There's an almost mythological air surrounding FFVII as ~the greatest evahhh~ and a simple HD remaster just wouldn't do when you can do a total remake every bit as overwrought as its legacy.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The remake is gonna end up worse than the original lol.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I wish they'd put the psp remakes of 1/2 and 4 on steam.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

rare double edit: people are so delusional about FF13 that they insisted I would like THAT game if I just kept playing it, once you get to Gran Pulse the game gets so good and is so much better but the 20 hours building up to it are boring, sure! they told me. I originally stopped playing after reaching Gran Pulse, but decided to keep going and beat the game just so I could tell people that yes I beat it and yes I still hated it. I do not trust the opinion of anyone who tells me they enjoyed FF13.

lol

Meridian posted:

It's okay to not like video games.
its also okay to like video games

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

well yeah, the original was released

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

MMF Freeway posted:

It's never coming out tho

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Calaveron posted:

It's never coming out tho

I honestly think the reason they decided to make it episodic is so they don't have to actually finish they game to start making money from it

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Hi thread just jumping in after a few more pages of theorycrafting re: the FF7 remake and how it will be awful and not an RPG and whatever to remind you that this is literally the entirety of the information we have on the way the game will be played:

quote:

“Battles are not command-based, they’re action-based. Regarding cover actions, there are places where they can be done on the map, but they are not required. Because it’s seamless, I showed that there can be actions in response to various scenes."

But please continue assuming it's going to be like Dirge of Cerberus or whatever other dumb poo poo

e: o yeah I forgot there's a couple of screenshots showing commands that Nomura explicitly said were for demo purposes only and won't reflect the final product

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

*whilst making GBS threads self violently* actually, the ff7 remake won't be finished :smuggo:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Kelp Me! posted:

Hi thread just jumping in after a few more pages of theorycrafting re: the FF7 remake and how it will be awful and not an RPG and whatever to remind you that this is literally the entirety of the information we have on the way the game will be played:

But please continue assuming it's going to be like Dirge of Cerberus or whatever other dumb poo poo

e: o yeah I forgot there's a couple of screenshots showing commands that Nomura explicitly said were for demo purposes only and won't reflect the final product

There's also a small amount of in-engine footage they overlayed a UI onto that was for demo purposes and won't reflect the final product.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Also with that weird development shifting that happened recently they could have just changed their mind on anything they've said so far thanks to having feedback so who the hell knows what's going on with it. Maybe Hitman convinced them to not be episodic anymore, maybe Life is Strange is going to make them stay the course with that, maybe we'll get a trailer or screenshot that's past the guard scorpion, who knows?

Not cyberconnect anymore.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Endorph posted:

*whilst making GBS threads self violently* actually, the ff7 remake won't be finished :smuggo:

I literally typed that post out while in the can post a night of drinking so you are the most accurate poster in this thread

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MMF Freeway posted:

There exists not a single doubt in my mind regarding this.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

If someone tells you that a game gets good 20 hours in, they are lying, always

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Phantasium posted:

Also with that weird development shifting that happened recently they could have just changed their mind on anything they've said so far thanks to having feedback so who the hell knows what's going on with it. Maybe Hitman convinced them to not be episodic anymore, maybe Life is Strange is going to make them stay the course with that, maybe we'll get a trailer or screenshot that's past the guard scorpion, who knows?

Not cyberconnect anymore.

Okay yeah I was wondering what was going on when I checked the Wiki page for the game and saw Square was making it. That must have been a fairly recent change considering I only found out CC2 was making the game after doing some unrelated .hack research. From reading that page though it sounded like it was explicitly Square's opinion that turn-based JRPGs are outdated and wanted to totally revamp the game, so I'm not sure how much their opinion on that will be changed.

Kelp Me! posted:

I don't think the game's going to be a mess based on those things, I think the game is going to be a mess because Square has been making some questionable decisions lately and based on things they've said and done recently I don't trust them to tackle a project larger than an HD rerelase without fumbling the ball. The decision to make it episodic seemed very strange, but sort of makes sense after I learned more about FF15's development hell, but having learned about THAT it certainly doesn't make me feel better about them developing another huge project, especially since 15 had some points where the game was barely held together by spare pieces of gum. I also thought it was mega questionable of them to hand the project over to CC2, whose primary development claims to fame are the .hack series and Naruto games. Honestly, I think CC could have done an alright job with the game if they were given free reign, but there's no way Square was gonna let them do that with possibly one of the most anticipated game releases of all time. Hell, handing it over to another company in the first place made me suspicious about how things were going over at Square, and the fact that they've now taken it back is even more concerning rather than relieving, again after learning more and seeing FF15. From reading the Wikipedia article, apparently the guy who is leading development on the game didn't even know he was going to be doing it until the company presentation for the game and had been assuming it was going to be someone else prior to that, since he knew the project was happening. Lastly, statements from the project leads for the game saying that turn-based combat systems are outdated is some wild poo poo. And, in conclusion, this is why I think the FF7 remake will be a mess.

Nihilarian posted:

The exception to this is Persona 4 where you first get control of your character after the 20-hour introduction scenes

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 13, 2017

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Nihilarian posted:

Someone never played Dragon Warrior VII

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

From reading that page though it sounded like it was explicitly Square's opinion that turn-based JRPGs are outdated and wanted to totally revamp the game, so I'm not sure how much their opinion on that will be changed.

It's more like if they're still making drastic changes 2 years in "development" I can see them making other sweeping changes to their plan and feel like anything they've said on the subject is moot unless it's recent. Maybe we'll finally get that musical.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Someone never played Dragon Warrior VII
they should have called it the nelson mandela experience because you wait 27 years for freedom

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

It means they probably enjoyed the first 20 hours as well and are trying to recall the highlights.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

they should have called it the nelson mandela experience because you wait 27 years for freedom

:golfclap:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

As much as people shat on FF15 for not being a real RPG, these days the most popular RPGs are like, first person games where you shoot things. It's pretty clear people look at the turn based stuff overwhelmingly as a limitation of its time rather than a cool thing, which wasn't helped by old FF combat being "mash x" 99% of the time with occasionally using lightning on a robot

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

tbh I always thought RPG was kind of a dumb term. Like, aren't you playing a role in virtually every game with a plot?

I understand the origin of the term is rooted in the similarity of video game RPGs to their tabletop predecessors, but the end result is that it's an extremely nebulous and poorly-defined term, leading to arguments like "is this Final Fantasy game actually an RPG?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003