Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Damnit, I log into this stupid game for the first time since release and of course it was a few hours after their free 4 star starter servant offer ran out, which they promised at launch, of course.

Then I go and roll 5 star Gilgamesh, so I guess it all balances out v:v:v

EDIT: I love how Julius Cesar is all "Why the gently caress am I a Saber?!"

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
finally enough stupid fangs for Ascension 2 Salter

now i just need a ton of claws and scales . _.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Trying to roll Hans in the FP gacha is reminding me of my attempts to roll Waver when starting.

Give me my Support Casters you silly game.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Grinding for Ascension items are suffering

Are the free quests better than the dailies if you're looking for a specific monument

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

Grinding for Ascension items are suffering

Are the free quests better than the dailies if you're looking for a specific monument

For monuments definitely not; you should basically assume that any free quest servant in the chapters we have only drops pieces.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Those updated dailies better be worth the hype because grinding poo poo right now is indeed suffering.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Marogareh posted:

Those updated dailies better be worth the hype because grinding poo poo right now is indeed suffering.

I think the main difference is that they're organised by class rather than split up by triangle and material type? So if you're trying to ascend a particular Saber or Lancer servant then you've got a one-stop shop for everything.

On the other hand if you're trying to ascend Jeanne the new dailies will be much, much worse.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the drop rates on the new dailies are much higher

Kata-Haro
Oct 21, 2010

Do Claws of Chaos even exist?

Cos goddamn I've murdered a lot of Chimeras and I still haven't seen one.

I just want to keep pimping my Cu out game.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

You guys are in the middle of grinding because you've got nothing else to do. Of course it sucks.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Besides Saber Lily who I still have some levels to go before she hits 40 (because why not I guess) I don't really have much grinding left to do at this point. At the same time it feels like a bit of a waste to not take advantage of the 1/2 AP so yeah. I still have the quartz from the free quests at least but that will only last a few more days.

On the topic of acquiring mana prisms, wouldn't doing the 30AP Embers make more sense? You get less experience so you're not going to level up as much, but it's the same amount of prisms either way from silver and golds.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

You get a chance of 2* exp drops which are of no use to you except for a piddling amount of QP. That said it costs less AP and AFAIK it roughly evens out in how many you can get in the same time period.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Why is it so hard to find decent lancer pieces

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
At the height of my piece/monument farming frustration, I tried to time my level ups so that I was one 30AP duel away from leveling up at max AP. 8PM EST hits and the next day's quests roll around, and I'd just fight the duels until I ran out of AP. By timing it where I was at max AP (say around 90) and was one duel away from leveling up, I'd wind up with something like 170 and could run it about 12 times. Then the next morning, I run it again until I run out and usually by this stage I'd be close to leveling up again. Go to work, come back with the same setup as the previous evening (max AP, one duel away from leveling up), and with any luck (ha) the sheer volume of duels would get me the pieces I'd need.

Basically I was taking advantage of leveling up and AP recharge overnight/during work hours, since you can actually start the duel dailies the evening before the main day they are active.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jul 13, 2017

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Tired Moritz posted:

Why is it so hard to find decent lancer pieces

You say that but all I've gotten since the daily shift are red lancer skill components :v And the gold pieces I have the most is lancers.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Any hints as to when the next update is? I'm sick of Gil's smug face.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

New Leaf posted:

Any hints as to when the next update is? I'm sick of Gil's smug face.

Well, as the game says he goes away on the 20th. We don't know if he'll be replaced immediately, though.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I decided to spend a handful of tickets to try to get summer yuri pirates, and for once i had some decent gacha luck and actually got them

Now to go back to saving all my quartz and tickets for this year's summer event in case they add swimsuit Astolfo

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Is Medea good? I keep getting her (why do I keep getting waifus)

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
She's good:

quote:

PROS
+Insanely good NP gain, like better than Andersen
+Self heal has a pretty low cooldown on it making it somewhat consistent sustain
+Decent attack for what is a support caster
+Single-Target NP from a Caster-Class Servant is genuinely pretty rare and clearing debuffs is also very strong as a side effect
+Overcharge is very easy for her to obtain

CONS
-HP is a bit on the low side
-Goes in so hard on her gimmick that NP is her most reliable source of damage
-Third skill is only really good for the cleanse, the np gain is kinda mediocre and only lasts the 1 turn
-Doesn't do much for a party with her skills excluding the cleanse

Overall Opinion: Medea's a pretty solid caster. While she doesn't have the team capabilities that someone like Andersen or Mozart do, she still has her own niche as being a caster with a surprising amount of damage. Her NP gain is so ridiculously good that it's honestly more reliable than it seems especially when dumped onto an arts team. She's still not as splashable as Andersen, but she does her own thing pretty drat well.
Score: 8/10
Also much respect for these write-ups, they have been insanely useful.

Are the 1/2/3* servants in the FP gacha the same as the paid gacha? Just cleared Orleans and figured I'd try for Caster Gilles if they are.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

So when you fight Shadow Cus and Maries in the Dailies and they start spamming their Protection from Arrows and Marie has her Invincibility buff?

Medea laughs. She laughs in their faces.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I'm starting to doubt that phoenix plumes exist yet.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Marogareh posted:

I've gotten two in about 300 ap. They are comically rare.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Marogareh posted:

I assume it doesn't help to be told that I've got 5 so far today.

edit: Looking at collected data elsewhere, drop rate from the 30AP seems to be about 1 in 10. So two in 300AP is about the expected number right now.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 13, 2017

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Been getting red stones but at least was able to use them on Nero and get protection from arrows to level 5 on lancer Cu. I just need them to buff up Nero more.

edit: loving figures that I get one after complaining on the internet. It's from a gold chest so no wonder.

Marogareh fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 13, 2017

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tired Moritz posted:

Is Medea good? I keep getting her (why do I keep getting waifus)

I wouldn't call her amazing or anything, but she's pretty good, especially in the right situations. Level up her skills and she can NP at will. Level up her NP and you can basically just spam Rule Breaker every turn. While its damage isn't amazing, it makes her stand out compared to all those other servants who just shoot theirs once per fight. And also sometimes you find enemies who buff themselves to hell, and Rule Breaker ruins their day.

I often keep her as a 4th slot servant with an NP damage up CE. If things go badly enough one of my frontline falls, she can come in and immediately NP.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Can someone explain to me if there's any logic behind the Cavalry triangle? Because just intuitively it makes more sense to me that Casters can fire big fuckoff nuke spells that destroy Riders' mounts but would get wrecked by an Assassin sneaking up and sticking a knife in their backs before they can prepare a spell.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 13, 2017

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Just don't think about it. You'll only lose if you do.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
I want to think about it, even though I feel like that's only going to lead to pain. But I have a slightly different question.

Why the hell are Assassins and Casters considered 'Cavalry'? They don't really ride anything. Is there a definition of Cavalry I'm not getting?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Even the primary triangle doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Spears have reach over swords, they should win every time.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

New Leaf posted:

Even the primary triangle doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Spears have reach over swords, they should win every time.

Well by that argument bows have even longer reach so

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
gently caress, I have so many assassin exp and there's no one to give them to.

I guess I can give them to Hassan but I don't really want to use him at all

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

gently caress, I have so many assassin exp and there's no one to give them to.

I guess I can give them to Hassan but I don't really want to use him at all

Just feed them to whoever needs the EXP, the 20% class benefit isn't a game changer.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I usually just throw them into Mash and Jeanne.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Airspace posted:

I want to think about it, even though I feel like that's only going to lead to pain. But I have a slightly different question.

Why the hell are Assassins and Casters considered 'Cavalry'? They don't really ride anything. Is there a definition of Cavalry I'm not getting?
the definition is that its a term coined by a japanese guy whose experience with english starts at sleeping through a high school class and ends with watching 24 while drunk

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

Can someone explain to me if there's any logic behind the Cavalry triangle? Because just intuitively it makes more sense to me that Casters can fire big fuckoff nuke spells that destroy Riders' mounts but would get wrecked by an Assassin sneaking up and sticking a knife in their backs before they can prepare a spell.

Riders can close the gap during the cast time windup, Assassins can sneak up on and dodge the fast but not nimble Riders, and Casters have alert spells and tracking attacks that tear through the squishy Assassins is the official explanation I believe.

For knight classes, I believe the logic is Lancers are nimble and fast enough to deal with arrows but don't have the physical strength to fight a strong swordsman hand to hand, and Archers just can fire from way further than sabers can reach.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

Well by that argument bows have even longer reach so

Yeah but Best Archer Emiya fights with short swords..

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
So I've been learning through videos that in the Nasuverse crabs are the invincible god kings of the beach.

cyxx
Oct 1, 2005

Byon!
Is Saber Alter in the event pools or is she only in the story pool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

cyxx posted:

Is Saber Alter in the event pools or is she only in the story pool?

Story right now. She'll be in her own rateup banner relatively soon, as will Nero.